Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Default Big Pale Master aura numbers

The biggest draw for Pale Masters is the self-healing in Undead form.

In order to make sure that I'm not going to jump into this Pale Master life unprepared, what Death Aura/Lesser Death Aura feats/enhancements/gear am I forgetting?

1) Negative healing amp gear (various - will take time to collect, but I'm not jumping into this life right away, so there's time)
    2) Negative spell power gear
    3) Negative spell critical chance gear
    4) Wellspring of Power feat
    5) Master of the Dead feat AND Master of Knowledge feat (since T5 is garbage in PM, so might as well take T5 Archmage)
    6) Archmage T5 Arcane Supremacy
    7) Extend metamagic feat since it's tedious to get all of the various feats to trigger together and then cast the Death Aura/Lesser Death Aura spells

What things am I missing that I'll want to have in place for a Pale Master throwing down those Auras? I'm leaving the gear generic instead of naming specific items because I want to be able to level through Epics with good auras and not just look at casting the spells at cap.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    The biggest draw for Pale Masters is the self-healing in Undead form.

In order to make sure that I'm not going to jump into this Pale Master life unprepared, what Death Aura/Lesser Death Aura feats/enhancements/gear am I forgetting?

1) Negative healing amp gear (various - will take time to collect, but I'm not jumping into this life right away, so there's time)
    2) Negative spell power gear
    3) Negative spell critical chance gear
    5) Master of the Dead feat AND Master of Knowledge feat (since T5 is garbage in PM, so might as well take T5 Archmage)
    7) Extend metamagic feat since it's tedious to get all of the various feats to trigger together and then cast the Death Aura/Lesser Death Aura spells

What things am I missing that I'll want to have in place for a Pale Master throwing down those Auras? I'm leaving the gear generic instead of naming specific items because I want to be able to level through Epics with good auras and not just look at casting the spells at cap.
    insightful nullification
    https://m.ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Stygian_Wrath

enhanced nullification
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legend...verthread_Belt

You'll probably want some positive heal amp gear too if you group

Bracers, trinket for quik swapping
    Damonz Cannith

Community Member

The palemaster enhancement tree is getting a revamp (and epic destinies) in update 43. Might be worth waiting for that or do a HR or RR to get a past life and/or farm some gear.
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

Character. Alivef 1 x heroic completionist (+a few more pl's) 1 x epic completionist, and some iconic and racial pl's
    Server Thelanis

Bounty Hunter

There is a new PM set you will want, but the location of one gear slot is still undecided, but it will have nullification, negative healing amp, etc.

A few other key pieces of gear for the self-healing aspect

GEAR
    Cloak: Legendary Black Velvet Capelet: Ins Neg Amp 43, Profane Well Rounded 2, Int 21, Greater Boon of Undeath
    Belt: Legendary Silverthread Belt: Enh Null 202, Enh Dev 202, Void Lore 29, Heal Lore 29 (stacks with nullification item + makes your cocoon useful for self/others)
    Ring 2: Clouded Dreams: Universal Spell Lore 10, Universal Spell Power 20, Ins Spell Foc Mastery 4, Leg Nightmare Guard (stacking lore and spellpower)

Weapon 2: Legendary Stygian Wrath: Ins Null 107, Ins Neg Lore 18, Sinister Chill (chance for temp sp for neg cold spells)

Also, tier 5 is not absolutely critical in PM tree but I think capstone is for the greater death aura and +4 int is too compelling to pass up.

Community Member

Heal skill adds to negative spell power.

Get these items

Curse Necromancer Set:
    Orb: Legendary Cursed Skull: Insight Null 101 - Void Lore 29% - Necro 8 - Negative Healing Amp +80 - Purple slot
    Trinket: Legendary CurseKeeper: Insight Negative Healing Amp 40 - Light Resistance 37 - Vitality 67 - Magic Efficiency 10% - Green slot

80 Negative Heal Amp
    40 Insight Neg Heal Amp
    15 Artifact bonus to Neg Heal Amp from set

Or skip the trinket and get the cloak with Insight Neg Heal Amp

Cloak: Legendary Black Velvet Capelet: Insight Negative Healing Amp 43 - Profane Well Rounded 2 - INT 21 - Greater Boon of Undeath - Blue slot

You lose the set bonus so it's actually a bit less neg heal amp overall, but that cloak is very nice.

Get Nullification high with

Goggles: Legendary Dusk Lenses: Potency 154 - Insightful Potency 77 - Efficient Empower II - Efficient Maximize II - Yellow slot
    Belt: Legendary Silverthread Belt: Enhanced Devotion 202 - Enhanced Nullification 202 - Healing Lore 29 - Void Lore 29 - Blue slot

The orb above gives you Insight Nullification 101, the goggles give solid Potency for all elements, and the Enhanced Nullification on the Silverthreaded Belt stacks with it all.

That's all you really need... You don't need Extend by the way. Yeah, you'll have to refresh the Death Aura every 90 seconds or so but it's not that hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    You don't need any of that.
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Careall View Post
    Heal skill adds to negative spell power.
    I learn something new.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Get these items

Curse Necromancer Set:
    Orb: Legendary Cursed Skull: Insight Null 101 - Void Lore 29% - Necro 8 - Negative Healing Amp +80 - Purple slot
    Trinket: Legendary CurseKeeper: Insight Negative Healing Amp 40 - Light Resistance 37 - Vitality 67 - Magic Efficiency 10% - Green slot
    I question that set choice
    The insightful negative amp, you're getting from the cloak.
    Void Lore, from the ravenloft belt.

I'm curious, what edges it out over Stygian Wrath's 18% insightful Lore, given they have similar insightful null?

Then again, this is a thread about bigger numbers, not consistent numbers, so the Skull definitely wins THAT battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Xgya View Post
    I question that set choice
    The insightful negative amp, you're getting from the cloak.
    Void Lore, from the ravenloft belt.

I'm curious, what edges it out over Stygian Wrath's 18% insightful Lore, given they have similar insightful null?

Then again, this is a thread about bigger numbers, not consistent numbers, so the Skull definitely wins THAT battle.
    You get 80 neg heal amp (and bonus 15 neg heal amp from the set) from the cursed skull orb

If you get rid of cursed skull orb and get the stygian wrath instead (Insight Null 107 - Insight Neg Lore 18%) you gain some Neg lore, but lose 95 heal amp. 95 heal amp is worth far more.

How are you going to replace the neg heal amp? If you use the Mummy wrappings (72 neg heal amp), you lose the belt slot.

Community Member

Default You can have too much

Thoughts from a avid PM player.

- There's a Return on Investment (RoI)-loss curve the higher your negative power and amplification
    -- For the sake of argument, consider that negative healing for more HP than the PM has is wasted (while this is ridiculously extreme, it shows the RoI does approach a zero return)
    -- Obviously, the healing RoI curve changes across Reaper levels

- Avoiding damage in most cases is better than healing, and certainly once the RoI-loss crosses some threshold
    -- CC effects and skills like Diplomacy might have a better RoI
    -- Damage reduction such as PRR, MRR, and Elemental Protection/Absorption go a long way, particularly regarding light spells

- The best survival strategy in DDO is to kill mobs via high dps as quickly as possible since dead mobs can't do damage
    - The second best survival strategy in DDO is damage reduction/avoidance
    - Healing is a next-to-last resort survival strategy
    - Raise dead is the last resort

That all said, thematically I like massive negative healing regen Death Auras for play style.