Community Member

Default Looking for a past life build!

Hello everyone,

As stated in the title i'm Simply looking for a build to run my 3 monk lifes. I've been looking all over the forums but i'm not very good at building characters or even determine what
    kind of build would be effective for my purpose so i've been hoping some of u guys might be able to point me to a build.
    To be more specific, i have access to all classes, have +5 tomes and 6 past lifes so far.
    I Don't mind beeing a monkcher/shurithrower or unarmed as long as the build is effective in heroic elite up to reaper 1-2.

Well, that's pretty much it ! Thank you for reading and future answers!

Xera

Do you have a specific race or play style you want to try to fit in? The "stock" monk build is a WIS based Aasimar or human with TWF and the whirlwind line. You basically are on railroad tracks until you hit level 24 as there's basically one viable unarmed monk build.

Hobgoblin posted a good summary here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-handwrap-monk

The basic feat list for Aasimar is:

1: Dodge, Mobility (monk)
    2: Stunning Fist (monk)
    3: Combat Expertise
    6: Spring Attack (monk), Whirlwind Attack
    9: TWF
    12: Imp Crit: bludgeon
    15: ITWF
    18: GTWF

The logic is that your leveling time is largely dominated by your AoE attack speed, so Whirlwind early, whirlwind often. You can either do handwraps or a stick until 9. Stunning Fist is super powerful but does require handwraps. Take the light path. If human, take TWF earlier and take precision at 18. I find Lawful Good is best because of good named staff and wraps are super great at level 2 and 6.

Honestly the best plan is to draft of your fire sorc guildie.

Enhancements, put everything into Falconry until you get WIS to hit/dmg, then everything in Shintao until you can get T5 abilities. Adjust leftover racial points in Aasimar to get yourself a heal.
    All level ups in WIS, all skill points into Concentration then UMD, then jump, then heal.

There's basically no other "standard" way to build an unarmed monk. It's like they all went to the same monastery or something.

Gear wise, make a pair of crafted ghosttouch handwraps of good and dont take them off.
    Kodraith / Xanxibar / Xinibar / Lensgrinder :: Lava Divers of Khyber :: I'm a monk. I hit things; it's what I do.

Community Member

Hello there,

First of all, i'd like to thank you for the awesome answer u gave me ! U just told me everything i needed to know!

I just need to run 3 past lifes so simple heroic, i won't be hitting lvl 24 with the monk. Race wise i Don't really care either, asimaar
    will perfectly do it! So all in all, thank you again for your time .

Xera

Quote Originally Posted by Xera View Post
    Hello there,

First of all, i'd like to thank you for the awesome answer u gave me ! U just told me everything i needed to know!

I just need to run 3 past lifes so simple heroic, i won't be hitting lvl 24 with the monk. Race wise i Don't really care either, asimaar
    will perfectly do it! So all in all, thank you again for your time .

Xera
    BTW one other monk build that works pretty well in epics (but much less well in heroics) is 14monk/6 ranger as a WIS based archer. It only really works on elf / h-elf as you will need the AA tree from racial, not from ranger if you want the AA capstone. The idea is to take 6 ranger for the ranged feats and DWS sniper shot at core3, then 14 monk for 10k stars, even more feats and a bunch of defensive goodies.

Go WIS build with point in falconry for WIS hit/dmg and you'll have some crazy with Paralyzing arrow DCs and still do a lot of damage with manyshot and 10k stars + Improved Precise Shot. The main downside is a build like this really gets going after 22 or so. In heroics it's just a fragile archer, albeit with really good AC, dodge and 25% incorporality for ninja.
    Kodraith / Xanxibar / Xinibar / Lensgrinder :: Lava Divers of Khyber :: I'm a monk. I hit things; it's what I do.