Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default Low level monk troubles

    I just started a new life and i'm having problems hitting earth elementals and zombies with handwraps. Am I just missing something here or do I have to switch weapons to kill them for now?

  2. #2
    Founder & Super Hero Arkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    8,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukor View Post
    I just started a new life and i'm having problems hitting earth elementals and zombies with handwraps. Am I just missing something here or do I have to switch weapons to kill them for now?
    Zombies don't take much damage from blunt weapons...fists/handwraps in your case. Switch to kamas when fighting them as they are slashing weapons which will hurt zombies much more.

    Regarding Earth Elementals (and other elementals, btw), no weapons are particularly good against them. You'll just have to beat them down.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

  3. #3
    Community Member NemesisAlien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Look up, way up, in space.
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Zombies don't take much damage from blunt weapons...fists/handwraps in your case. Switch to kamas when fighting them as they are slashing weapons which will hurt zombies much more.

    Regarding Earth Elementals (and other elementals, btw), no weapons are particularly good against them. You'll just have to beat them down.
    There is a stick, cant remember the name, its specifically against elementals.

  4. #4
    Founder & Super Hero Arkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    8,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NemesisAlien View Post
    There is a stick, cant remember the name, its specifically against elementals.
    It might do extra damage to Elementals but it doesn't bypass Elemental DR, does it? That would be news to me!

    Bypassing DR is what the OP was talking about, btw.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

  5. #5
    Community Member NemesisAlien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Look up, way up, in space.
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    It might do extra damage to Elementals but it doesn't bypass Elemental DR, does it? That would be news to me!

    Bypassing DR is what the OP was talking about, btw.

  6. #6
    Community Member NemesisAlien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Look up, way up, in space.
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    It might do extra damage to Elementals but it doesn't bypass Elemental DR, does it? That would be news to me!

    Bypassing DR is what the OP was talking about, btw.

  7. #7
    Founder & Super Hero Arkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    8,028

    Default

    Yeah, that's what I thought. Just some extra damage vs Elementals. Nothing that bypasses their DR.

    That Theurgic Stave is a pretty nice low-level staff, though.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

  8. #8
    Community Member Stoner81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukor View Post
    I just started a new life and i'm having problems hitting earth elementals and zombies with handwraps. Am I just missing something here or do I have to switch weapons to kill them for now?
    For elementals use Dismissing Strike from Shintao. As for zombies you need a slashing weapon to bypass their DR or you can just use +++ greensteel. For low levels you could just use a shortsword or something like that.

    Stoner81.

  9. #9
    Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    As for zombies you need a slashing weapon to bypass their DR
    By the way, if you listen carefully, this is more or less explained in the very first Korthos quest after The Grotto, the one with the crypt ...
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    For elementals use Dismissing Strike from Shintao. As for zombies you need a slashing weapon to bypass their DR or you can just use +++ greensteel. For low levels you could just use a shortsword or something like that.

    Stoner81.
    kama is slashing not short sword, so have a pair handy for swapping to zombie fights. They do not even need to be undead bane but that would be helpful.

    Earth elementals—they have two types of attacks: earthgrab and melee cleave. When they are cleaving, jump away; when they earthgrab, jump in and melee. The stupid ellies will never learn to cope against this tactic. Wraps take longer against them but if you are safe punching them while they are busy grabbing earth, it is a nice ki charger...
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked at level 4!)


  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    259

    Default kind of a diff subject, but kinda relates...

    honestly, I run with warlocks and sorc and they just kill everything in low levs. I feel like a gimp most of the time I am in 1-20. Once I get into epics, I start catching up, but when I hit 29, I am fairly equal. I feel as though low lev handwrap monks are severely underpowered when compared to other classes. I even have a full sets of Cannith crafted gear. Since I really only play monk, I have just sucked it up and realized that whenever I TR, my kill count is going to suck for a while

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload