Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by J1NG View Post
    This is a terrible approach to the issue of Dodge and highlights how little the Devs actually understand their own designs and game and how badly they come up with solutions that don't really solve the problem well.

1. Light Melee as you put it, which has trouble reaching 200+ PRR (to surive two hits) often rely on Dodge to entirely mitigate melee attacks "TEMPORARILY".
    2. DDO has an ever increasing number of enemies that ignore the Dodge defense ENTIRELY. No 1-10% per skull level, no 50%, no 75% ignore, no. You have 100% TOTAL (doesn't matter if you have 101% Dodge, 150% or 9001% Dodge, the enemy who ignores it will ignore it all).
    3. The best Dodger in the game belongs to me: Jedinja and Sightblur. 90s 100% constant Dodge or ~3 1/2 minutes worth of 100% Dodge if I need to go all the way in the fight for that long being untouched. So I am your best tester and yoru best source of information regarding Dodge usage. (Also had Ki Shout to swap between two toons that was built like this before the Devs busted Ki Shout for no good reason. And believe me, it was for NO GOOD REASON.)

4. 95% Dodge? Why 95% Dodge? Why not 99% Dodge? Do you even know what the difference between them is? I'll tell you. Nothing. Only 100% gives you immunity that is TEMPORARY only (Whilst the Dodge remains at 100% or more at the moment).

5. So you want to stop players like me being able to achieve 100% Dodge to ingore melee attacks. That's fine, don't cap it though. Why? Because by capping it, you still fail to understand why capping Dodge is bad.
    A. Only Light Melee can achieve this Dodge level for lengthy periods of time, and they lose out on heavy dps in the process and usually many other things at the same time, including vital defences.
    B. Even with 99% Dodge, 27% Incorp, 55% Displace and 5% Ignore Melee, do you know what happens when the enemy makes all those rolls? You die because you get hit. That's right. Outright die. Now you want to reduce the number down to 95%? Are you kidding me? And make no mistake, over the last 3 years, I've seen this happen enough times when I was testing over that time to make sure it still happens FREQUENTLY, and I assure you, it DOES. So anything less than 100% is bad.

6. The BETTER solution. Leave Dodge to remain uncapped. BUT:
    A. Give more enemies Dodge bypass, including by Elite + Reaper Skull levels. OR, reduce player Dodge by base amount (1-10 per skull level) (this does the same effect largely).
    B. If players like me have toons that have enough Dodge normally but don't anymore with the new Dodge bypass, WE (the players) now have a hard decision(s) to make:
    C. Do we use ANOTHER Dodge clickie (and because of that, lose out on extended Dodge, or risk not having Dodge for another battle later/sooner?) and increase our Dodge enough so now we are still 100% Dodge (or above) and ignore all melee attacks right now? Or attempt to save it for later? Again, this gives tough CHOICE to the players. Players can spend more time waiting (for Dodge to come back) or actually going and playing.
    D. Subsequently, the 100% TOTAL Dodge bypass is completely silly (and I have personally never liked it). Especially on Champions (and Bosses). A better solution, especially if you go with this solution, is that Champions now have 75% or 80% Dodge Bypass. This means that anyone with 50% standing Dodge (like I do), and attempts to use Meld (+100% Dodge, to a total ot 150%), will still have 25% Chance to being hit by those with this buff (Because 150% Dodge, - 75% = 75% functional Dodge, so 25% to still be hit). To which we (the Player) have a choice: If we have another source of Dodge, do we use it to save the party and run into the swarm of enemies? Do we use it to clobber the Champion in safety and then sneak save the party? Or leave it for later because I see more enemies coming? Choices, which are deprived of players if you change Dodge to cap at 95%. Because then Dodge is pointless beyond 50% (or 45% if players want to go that way) at all times at that point because it is worthless to attempt to get more Dodge out of it to make it useful (no die in one hit). Make DODGE COUNT, force players into deciding to using MORE sources of temporary Dodge to remain invincible temporarily.

For those wondering: Jedinja is:
    Monk 6, Rogue 8, Fighter 6
    50% Standing Dodge
    ~120 PRR
    ~35% MRR
    With the following sources of Temp Dodge: Meld into Darkness, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Primal Travel, and Mist Stalker V.

A better version was designed that also included Elaborate Parry, but needed Racial Completionist (and have 2 minutes of uninterrupted 100% Dodge and ~6 minutes of non-stop 100% Dodge) and I wasn't bothered to get it for a tiny bit more improvement. But again, the whole point is: To achieve this 100% Dodge rate, you sacrifice in so many areas, your PRR can never be anywhere near as high as others. Even for 95% Dodge (cap). And you are often at the mercy of spells because your MRR is worst of all (and again, the Devs decided lately to throw so many enemies in that just uses abilities and spells that ignore stuff like Evasion or Saves and just do a straight MRR check instead. NOT COOL.) And your DPS is also much lower as a result.

Again, my suggestion leaves Dodge as viable alternative to using PRR/AC/HP etc, but forces players to find more sources of Temporary Dodge to make up the new deficit of Dodge introduced by my suggestion(s), and use them if they want to remain untouchable, but now at a reduced amount of time (since the used Temporary Dodge will now be on Timer).

I hope the Devs see reason and the logic of the information posted here. That 95% Dodge is worthless otherwise for those who rely on it.

J1NG
    I don't agree with everything you say, but you make good points.

I still think if they want to address dodge, which i believe is mostly Meld anyways which everyone takes. Move meld up to T4 will solve a big chunk of the issue without nerfing dodge overall. As you pointed out you give up a buttload for it and your dps and other defenses suffer quite a bit.

Heck, they could change meld to T4 and run it that way for a bit, and if still unsatisfied with how dodge is being used in game pull it back out of their pocket down the road.
    Triple All

Ghallanda forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorachtin View Post
    I don't agree with everything you say, but you make good points.

I still think if they want to address dodge, which i believe is mostly Meld anyways which everyone takes. Move meld up to T4 will solve a big chunk of the issue without nerfing dodge overall. As you pointed out you give up a buttload for it and your dps and other defenses suffer quite a bit.

Heck, they could change meld to T4 and run it that way for a bit, and if still unsatisfied with how dodge is being used in game pull it back out of their pocket down the road.
    The issue remains that Dodge at 100% or greater, is currently only bypassed under certain circumstances. Which means immunity (since not a lot ignores it) or not worthy of use beyond 50% at all for those who rely on it. By having a difficulty reduction of Dodge on players, and more common Dodge bypass buffs on enemies (including innate ones possibly like Fortification bypass) we then have a situation where players need to be smart about Dodge and also weigh up their choices on whats best to do. Simply moving Meld to T4 will not do anything but reduce DPS and Defences on players as that Dodge is simply too good to give up and only delay the inevitible change.

No something has to give as more Dodge becomes available, and the players losing out on total immunity UNLESS they put more into it is the better solution (rather than a poorly thought out one by the Devs), since it retains Dodge as being able to become immune (however briefly depending on how much Dodge you activate with your passive standing Dodge). Whilst still making it a threat to players who need to decide on whether to be SURE they are going to be invincible (to melee) or risk it and die (and wait for death timer).

With my suggestion for reductions and buffs that ignore a % of Dodge (and not all of it like it is right now), players of all levels and difficulties will experience a certain amount of threat unless they go all in (which is what the Dodge stat really is due to its temporariness).

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Community Member QueenOfTheHook's Avatar

So for those that haven't popped into a R10 on Lam yet, new reapers are back to being red named and potentially champs of their own on top of being reapers. You should totally run in and see them even if you just die, they have a different graphic for the different ones I've seen. 15 res cakes later (what? it's lam they're free), I got one dead and the other just kind of laughed a wee bit at me. The mobs in the quest I went to (nope, not tellin') were not much harder for me to solo. Just meant I had to play it a little differently. It was the two red named reapers in the mob that was the problem. Time to swap wiz for sorc and go shove an ice cube somewhere not so nice.

Community Member

Why all these changes to reaper? It seems like most of these changes "fix" problems that never existed. Random saving throws … really?? The one thing these changes will accomplish is to aggravate just about every class in the game. ROFL

While I'll applaud you for making changes to reaper. I still have a issues with entire reaper system

Bloated stats is IMO a shortcoming. Adding extra or changing abilities to monsters is much more well-suited approach. This can be done with different attacks, movement, other spell attacks, and in some cases changing immunity and/or resistance to players spells.

Increasing monsters environmental awareness is another option, couple that with a players increase chances to obtain better sneak attack % and also the opposite.
    Having more ransom die rolls for initiative brings an element of FUN and intrigue vs the static environment we have now. We run the quests over and over, and have learned what to expect almost every run.

I really wish you would explore adding another setting for champions in reaper. I can't stress this enough. SSG is missing a great opportunity by not implementing something along this line. It goes back to my 1st point of bloating stats. It's been proven as a fact that increasing a monsters hit die doesn't make a quest more difficult.

I'm real happy to see you address part of the games difficulty system. Just PLEASE don't limit it to reaper. Keep going, yes it's a lot of work, but the quality of product you would have is 10X what we have now.

And consolidate the 3 reaper trees into 1.

Kudos for new type of reapers!

R10 is back for DDO with DOOM & DESPAIR!

No more joke difficulty
    “Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness.
    Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness.
    Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.”
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

The Eternal Rapscallion Haphazarduk's Avatar

I know I'm not the first to say this but, whilst these changes may help the playability of reaper especially at high skulls and provide an increased challenge, they don't address the fundamental issue of being able to find people to group with unless you have lots of reaper points/past lives (which I don't even though I've been playing for since the start).

I've lost count of the number of times I've logged on to find the only groups are R4+. For me, at that difficulty I'm embarrassed to join a group in case I let the side down so, quite simply, I don't. That means I often do a bit of soloing (which is ok), noodle around in my inventory, then log off. I hardly ever group any more...

Hap

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazarduk View Post
    I know I'm not the first to say this but, whilst these changes may help the playability of reaper especially at high skulls and provide an increased challenge, they don't address the fundamental issue of being able to find people to group with unless you have lots of reaper points/past lives (which I don't even though I've been playing for since the start).

I've lost count of the number of times I've logged on to find the only groups are R4+. For me, at that difficulty I'm embarrassed to join a group in case I let the side down so, quite simply, I don't. That means I often do a bit of soloing (which is ok), noodle around in my inventory, then log off. I hardly ever group any more...

Hap
    +1

Egotism, elitism, powercreep, cashgrab, unwillingness to place themselves in another's shoes and this is the result, people soloing and maybe quit playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Community Member

Default Faster boss kills in reaper, why?

Dear SSG and fellow players.

I find myself confused as to the motivation for "High level Reaper should not take as long to kill bosses and special enemies with high hit point pools". I thus wonder why this i so? I'm sure others can find more technical reasons, but my own confusion stems purely from in-game experience.

Firstly, boss fights are a huge part of the fun and, importantly, the challenge of high skull reaper. The challenge of having to stay alive for a RELATIVE long amount of time against arguably the most difficult part of a quest, is part and parcel of a reaper challenge. Why would you want to change this?

Secondly, what is the aim of this change? I mean, what is the boss completion time, SSG is aiming for? Let me take just a recent example. Some days ago I pug'd R8 Grim and Barret, Memoirs, Lost at Sea, Subversion, Multitude of Menace. We ended up doing them all on R10, with a team consisting of 1 tank, 3 casters, and 2 (yes, 2!) dps toons. On average, I would esstimate boss completion time was anywhere between 40 seconds and an absolute max of 3 minutes. No, this wasnt the perfect team-position (I've been in groups and seen one's with faster times); yes, it was a good team with capable players; and yes, it took a bit to fill the pug (as I don't mind filtering for team composition on highest difficulty). Furthermore, while these examples surely targets some of the most easy quests on reaper, these boss completion times are not rare, at least in my experience, in some Ravenloft quests either. Sharn is perhaps another matter (I am still learning these quests), and so it should be with new content, yay! So, it is here that I find myself mostly confused: why would you/SSG want to change this? In what way is there a need to minimize this boss completion time? (As I am still a newb in Sharn, an argument might be made to make these easier - but I cannot myself testity to this. Evon so, this surely can't be the case, as that would seem to defeat a significant part of the purpose with new content.)

I realize to achieve these times, a well rounded group (which this could be argued it wasnt - one more dps would have been ideal) is mostly needed, and yes, this group should consist of players with good builds/gear/etc.. But isnt this exactly the whole point of Reaper and high skulls? If the aim is to make high skull quests more accessable, I would argue SSG is missing it's mark by a longshot. High skull reaper are for those that want to challenge themselves. I realize SSG is trying to compensate (I write try, as this is still in the test phase) by making the path to bosses a bit more hard (which i really like!), but this is not a good argument for 'lowering the difficulty' once the end/boss fight of a quest has been reached. Indeed, I would suggest quite the reverse (i.e. boss fights should be the hardest part, which in no way is the case for alot of quests currently). On a related sidenote, points/feedback made above as to possible changes (e.g. post by Lagin) and to issues regarding 'playability' (e.g. Haphazarduk), could (and imho should) be read in conjunction with this post.

For me, Reaper difficulty brought back to ddo something that was lost, and made me stay in the game: the need for a versatile and well rounded group, that completion was not an assured thing from the outset and, thus most importantly, CHALLENGE! I realize basing my points on such ground makes them largely subjective, seeing as the joy for me with regards to ddo, has always been the gameplay at cap, tweaking the toon by small parts as one go. But this is where, at least in (no small) part, Reaper difficulty largely justify itself.

Maybe I am missing someting, and maybe it is me that is entirely off the mark, I just really don't want to see the only thing keeping me in ddo being, for lack of a better word, nerfed.
    Last edited by Eventus; 07-25-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eventus View Post
    I find myself confused as to the motivation for "High level Reaper should not take as long to kill bosses and special enemies with high hit point pools". I thus wonder why this i so? I'm sure others can find more technical reasons, but my own confusion stems purely from in-game experience.

Firstly, boss fights are a huge part of the fun and, importantly, the challenge of high skull reaper. The challenge of having to stay alive for a RELATIVE long amount of time against arguably the most difficult part of a quest, is part and parcel of a reaper challenge. Why would you want to change this?
    My experience of mid-high skull reaper (5-8) at endgame typically duo is of having some challenge using tactics and CC to deal with most of the trash and reapers for half of the quest duration, then just slowly wailing away at a red name that does less than 50% of the DPS of trash (so isn't any threat on an otherwise challenging difficulty as long as healing is available), but has 100x the HP of trash. That makes mid-high skull reaper incredibly boring if nobody is all-out DPS so I welcome this change.

On the other hand, from joining full groups of better players at R8-10, trash is CC'd and dead in a second (making CC changes to duration fairly meaningless), and bosses go down really fast anyway (or at least fast enough as per your experience), so it seems unnecessary there. Or in groups without the really meta-DPS builds, there's the same experience with slaughtering trash then utilizing a safe spot to autoattack the boss for 10 minutes while tabbing out - not fun at all, and a reminder to TR to enjoy the better parts of the game.

I'd say that boss HP should just scale harder with group size, but that would probably have the perverse incentive of discouraging groups from opening slots to less good players, so...
    Nistafa on Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elfishski View Post
    My experience of mid-high skull reaper (5-8) at endgame typically duo is of having some challenge using tactics and CC to deal with most of the trash and reapers for half of the quest duration, then just slowly wailing away at a red name that does less than 50% of the DPS of trash (so isn't any threat on an otherwise challenging difficulty as long as healing is available), but has 100x the HP of trash. That makes mid-high skull reaper incredibly boring if nobody is all-out DPS so I welcome this change.

On the other hand, from joining full groups of better players at R8-10, trash is CC'd and dead in a second (making CC changes to duration fairly meaningless), and bosses go down really fast anyway (or at least fast enough as per your experience), so it seems unnecessary there. Or in groups without the really meta-DPS builds, there's the same experience with slaughtering trash then utilizing a safe spot to autoattack the boss for 10 minutes while tabbing out - not fun at all, and a reminder to TR to enjoy the better parts of the game.

I'd say that boss HP should just scale harder with group size, but that would probably have the perverse incentive of discouraging groups from opening slots to less good players, so...

While I see your first point, I don't feel that it really adresses my point. The simple reason is that SSG/ddo should not deflate boss hp (by way of debuffs or other.), so high skull reaper can be duo'd more easily. This is precisely, although perhaps implicit, part of my points made further down in the post. It's supposed to be a challenge. And while I can certainly agree that it is boring to just "slowly wailing away", it certainly does not help in any way to deflate that hp, if challenge (and god forbid balance ) is the name of the game - quite the reverse. While the fact that you duo it, only signals to me that reaper is too easy (though, whether you do it on R5 or R8 makes quite a difference, depending on quest), I do commend you for doing it - and I won't lie, I too think it is fun While I'm sure we can disagree here, I simply don't feel ddo should develop further in a direction where shortmanning becomes easier on higher diff's. Any change should incentivize group play - which was the main, if not only reason i welcomed reaper when it came out - and your point could be said to coroborate my fear of the reverse (at least on the surface). But, I guess that much is obvious from my post.

As to your second point, agreed!

I like the idea of boss hp scaling, though I really do fear it would have the "perverse" outcome you suggest.
    Last edited by Eventus; 07-25-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Default Reaper HP Tiers are off.

No points can even be spent at levels 1-3. We all know that.

Why not dig the stick even deeper?

Start max 50 HP @ level 4-9 or w/e etc etc.

This would match what actually occurs in game.

The baseline 50 HP nerf only affects us for 2 levels, 2 Low Levels with lots of quests in the 4-5 range so maybe an hour or 2 (probably much less for a lot of folks)

Really dig the stick in...hit the back of our eye socket even. Nerf a little bit harder and maybe people will stop being discouraged, intimidated or triggered by players with many more HPs than them @ level 4

/eyeroll
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature". Mokune (Guild Leader of Pandora's Box on Khyber), Iquitz, Returning, Thaumat, Ketzerisch, Xhiron, Koanoak et al...

Community Member dragons1ayer74's Avatar

New reaper's are interesting.

Most other changes are disappointing. It feels to me like I am being punished for playing the style I like to play within the existing rules that you built and since I am not playing the way you want me too I am either forced to stop playing or be forced to play your way; very disappointed. New and underpowered players even get the shaft more instead of somehow getting a bump again very disappointed.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I think I really like the Reaper "over level" penalties change. I think. If I understand it correctly.

Here's what I think SSG said - I'll use VoN3 Jungle of Khyber as my example. Level 9 Heroic and level 22 Epic.

Current system:
    Regular XP -> Level 9 heroic +2 for Elite = "at level" for bravery bonus, full XP, etc. on Elite is character level 11.
    If you are character level 12, you still get full "regular" XP, but no bravery bonus
    If you are character level 13, you get -10% XP penalty for being over level.

Reaper XP -> Level 9 quest = "at level" for full reaper XP with no penalties for reaper XP is character level 9.
    If you are character level 10, you get a -20% Reaper XP penalty
    If you are character level 11, you get a -50% Reaper XP penalty
    If you are character level 12, you get a -70% Reaper XP penalty
    You cannot enter the quest on Reaper AT ALL if you are level 16 or higher (6 levels above 9 is the max)

New system: (*I think*)
    Regular XP -> Level 9 heroic +2 for Elite = "at level" for bravery bonus, full XP, etc. on Elite is character level 11.
    If you are character level 12, you still get full "regular" XP, but no bravery bonus

Reaper XP -> EXACTLY THE SAME AS REGULAR XP
    You cannot enter the quest on Reaper AT ALL if you are level 16 or higher (4 levels above 11 is the max)

Epic -> Looks the same as heroic except that you will be able to do Reaper quests when you're 2 character levels higher than you currently can. That means we'll be able to do Reaper Velah raid at cap!

(Edit: I'd love to have someone from SSG say whether I understand this correctly or not)
    Last edited by HungarianRhapsody; 07-25-2019 at 10:01 AM.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eventus View Post
    While I see your first point, I don't feel that it really adresses my point. The simple reason is that SSG/ddo should not deflate boss hp (by way of debuffs or other.), so high skull reaper can be duo'd more easily. This is precisely, although perhaps implicit, part of my points made further down in the post. It's supposed to be a challenge. And while I can certainly agree that it is boring to just "slowly wailing away", it certainly does not help in any way to deflate that hp, if challenge (and god forbid balance ) is the name of the game - quite the reverse. While the fact that you duo it, only signals to me that reaper is too easy (though, whether you do it on R5 or R8 makes quite a difference, depending on quest), I do commend you for doing it - and I won't lie, I too think it is fun While I'm sure we can disagree here, I simply don't feel ddo should develop further in a direction where shortmanning becomes easier on higher diff's. Any change should incentivize group play - which was the main, if not only reason i welcomed reaper when it came out - and your point could be said to coroborate my fear of the reverse (at least on the surface). But, I guess that much is obvious from my post.

As to your second point, agreed!

I like the idea of boss hp scaling, though I really do fear it would have the "perverse" outcome you suggest.
    Sure - I think the problem isn't that it's too hard (I'm all for scaling up difficulty greatly), it's that in many/most quests the difficulty is really really skewed - and this is only a problem at endgame and honestly I'm 99% sure it's a problem with recent quest design more than a problem with reaper itself, reaper just amplifies it - where:
    a) if you have enough DPS to kill the boss before getting bored, then you wade through trash in moments as you're practically one-shotting it
    b) if you have enough defense to survive getting hit a couple of times by champions, then you're immortal as far as most bosses are concerned as long as someone keeps healing you.

So if you have the lower DPS high defense build that makes the rest of the quest fun where you'll die if careless or unlucky but otherwise be fine -> the boss is super tedious
    If you have the high DPS lower defense build that makes the boss fight fun where you can die if careless -> the rest of the quest will be an exercise in frustration of getting one-shot by the odd surprise champion or reaper (*subject to CC and/or skill).

The general solution of course is to drop the difficulty to where it isn't a challenge anymore, so that it's neither tedious nor frustrating, but a less skewed balance between bosses and trash might help to be able to find that sweet spot where both the rest of the quest and the boss fight can be challenging and fun.
    Nistafa on Khyber

Community Member

Well this will definitely shake up the meta.

Based on the update 43 changes. Helpless damage from 1.5 to 1.25, 30% less helpless damage in LD, mobs spend less time CCed, more ranged and caster damage. I foresee the rise of the ranged and caster only meta again thanks! Throw melee a bone and increase the range of heal spells in epic defensive fighting so we can at least heal our ranged and caster overlords while we pike the quest.

First of all, I appreciate the effort to make reaper more interesting and challenging and most of the changes sound good to me.
    but of course, I have also some points I want to mention...

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    3. It will be slightly harder to keep creatures locked down. First, Reaper creatures will have an additional +4 to their saving throws versus spells. In addition, the formula for reducing the duration of crowd control will be tweaked so crowd control duration reductions ramps up more quickly by about 25% at Reaper 10. As an example, an unmodified caster level 20 Mass Hold would be reduced on live to 12 seconds in duration on Reaper 10; the same spell would be reduced to 9.6 seconds. The minimum duration of 6 seconds still applies as it does on live.
    Meanwhile, I see the whole idea of the DC system as very questionable in DDO, I could write a lot here but I want to keep it short.
    I see no need for any additional bonuses for saving throws in reaper basically the saving throw should be exactly the same in reaper as it is in elite!
    And basically, I see also the penalty for the crowd control spells in reaper is very questionable.
    You should find other ways to make reaper more interesting rather than effectively remove the variety from DDO by removing the means of the players.
    The monsters should be empowered on reaper by giving them additional "tricks" similar to what the champions have.
    You should not remove the means of the players, you should make it, even more, need that the player uses every trick to survive in reaper to make DDO more interesting.

5. Monster spell penetration rolls are increased on life by a randomized number between 1 and (Reaper Level x 3). This would be increased to a randomized number between 1 and (Reaper Level x 4). This does not affect the player's ability to penetrate monster spell penetration; only attacks on players from monsters.
    In my opinion, this makes spell resistance effectively almost useless for almost every class.
    If I do the investment for spell resistance I expect to be safe from several effects.
    But with these changes you need up to another +40 spell resistance, this is ridiculously high, especially in lower levels!
    Please see that the benefit from spell resistance is not high enough even if it always work to justify such a big increase in the requirements to archive the goal to be 100% safe from spells that demand a spell penetration check.

In general, the spell resistance system demands another overhaul in my opinion and the first big question is how powerful SR should be and it should be basically possible for every class/race combination to achieve useful spell resistance in my opinion!
    The difference should be only how hard it is for a specific race and class to get a useful spell resistance.
    And useful means for me the possibility to be 100% safe from the few spells that demand a spell penetration check.
    And again please see that it is only similar powerful to have 100% spell resistance in comparison to the immunities you get from beeing undead or a construct and therefore not overpowered at all!
    And the immunities from undead and construct are not penalized in reaper at all!
    Therefore this additional requirement for spell resistance on reaper difficulty should be completely removed!

13. Reaper dungeons now use the same over and under level XP penalties as normal dungeons. Characters cannot enter a Reaper dungeon if they are too high level as compared to the dungeon; in the Heroic levels this limit is more than 4 levels above the base challenge rating of the dungeon, and in Epic levels this limit is more than 6 levels as it is on live. As always, Epic characters cannot enter Heroic dungeons.
    This a very good change and a very good step to make it easier for players to play together, not to mention that it is just only the removal of something that is simply not logical.
    therefore thumbs up for this!
    "Act according to a maxim which can be adopted at the same time as a universal law."
    -Immanuel Kant-

"Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has."
    -René Descartes-

Community Member

Default Killing bards mass hold

3. It will be slightly harder to keep creatures locked down. First, Reaper creatures will have an additional +4 to their saving throws versus spells. In addition, the formula for reducing the duration of crowd control will be tweaked so crowd control duration reductions ramps up more quickly by about 25% at Reaper 10. As an example, an unmodified caster level 20 Mass Hold would be reduced on live to 12 seconds in duration on Reaper 10; the same spell would be reduced to 9.6 seconds. The minimum duration of 6 seconds still applies as it does on live.
    Sev~
    This change must be considered carefully, as it will not impact all casters equally. The viability of some casters is at stake with this change.
    I am talking about spellsingers, specifically. Having less tools to cc then other arcane casters, spellsingers get mass hold as a šla, which helps to combat their lack of cc. 6 action points for an ability that can be used every 20 seconds is hardly a good choice, but it's the only choice they have.
    With these changes they will see the duration of mass hold decrease, making it even worse than it was. As is using mass hold on a bard requires some skill to use and its pretty much on the borderline of not being efficient because of the huge cool down. Reducing its duration will greatly decrease the efficiency of this overly priced ability.

Why is mass hold šla not scaling similarly to other slas in ter ms of cool down when compared to the original spells?
    Mass Hold cool down needs to decrease. Or the cost of this ability needs to go down to 3ap.

We all know that ddo considers bards less arcane then the other arcane... Proof of that is the slower casting, which is in my opinion unjustified. Warlocks are by all means less arcane as the bard, yet they have normal casting speed while bards don't.
    With the new changes dancing balls will also be much less reliable. They take forever to cast, have a cool down that will be longer than their duration and their duration will decrease.... Bard casting speed must be brought up to the level of the other casters. Same for arties I suppose.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I think I really like the Reaper "over level" penalties change. I think. If I understand it correctly.

Here's what I think SSG said - I'll use VoN3 Jungle of Khyber as my example. Level 9 Heroic and level 22 Epic.

Current system:

Reaper XP -> Level 9 quest = "at level" for full reaper XP with no penalties for reaper XP is character level 9.
    If you are character level 10, you get a -20% Reaper XP penalty
    If you are character level 11, you get a -50% Reaper XP penalty
    If you are character level 12, you get a -70% Reaper XP penalty
    You cannot enter the quest on Reaper AT ALL if you are level 16 or higher (6 levels above 9 is the max)

New system: (*I think*)

Reaper XP -> EXACTLY THE SAME AS REGULAR XP
    You cannot enter the quest on Reaper AT ALL if you are level 16 or higher (4 levels above 11 is the max)

Epic -> Looks the same as heroic except that you will be able to do Reaper quests when you're 2 character levels higher than you currently can. That means we'll be able to do Reaper Velah raid at cap!

(Edit: I'd love to have someone from SSG say whether I understand this correctly or not)

/\THIS, THIS, THIS! /\

I earlier made this point in the XP thread and it needs to be hammered home. In the past, we 'think' we know what you guys mean and then it changes on live. You have absolutely got to give us some kind of chart or level breakdown for what EXACTLY it is you are coding and implementing or discussion is pure conjecture.

Community Member QueenOfTheHook's Avatar

Is mob aggro not dropping upon death an intentional add in?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast