Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,625

    Default A note to Devs/Store Team: Shooting yourself in the foot

    I think you did yourself a disservice by not posting all the Summer Sails sales in advance. You're essentially bidding against yourself, and here's why...

    I have a pile of Store points and I was saving them for Summer to buy some more quest packs. I'm not saving them for any specific pack hoping it goes on sale (well Rage would be nice...). But not knowing what's coming up encourages me to sit on them, worried that next week the offer might be better. So I'm not buying Archons this week even though its on good sale, because next week might have something better.

    If I knew what all the weeks' sales were from the start - and IIRC that's how you handled the Holiday sale last year - then I'd know which packs I want to spend my points on. If I saw there was more stuff I wanted than I could afford with my savings, I'd be apt to buy more at the start so I could pick up everything I liked. I'd probably buy Archons if it was the only quest pack being discounted. But you've created a situation where the risk of buying too early and missing out on a better sale outweighs the risk of waiting too long and missing a sale, so the smart move is to not buy anything - thus defeating the purpose of a sale.

    Also, not posting what packs are going on sale in the Store Sales thread just makes it that much harder to make a decision on Archons today.

  2. #2
    Sovereign Vorpal Halfling of Supreme Good scipiojedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kent, Ohio
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I think you did yourself a disservice by not posting all the Summer Sails sales in advance. You're essentially bidding against yourself, and here's why...

    I have a pile of Store points and I was saving them for Summer to buy some more quest packs. I'm not saving them for any specific pack hoping it goes on sale (well Rage would be nice...). But not knowing what's coming up encourages me to sit on them, worried that next week the offer might be better. So I'm not buying Archons this week even though its on good sale, because next week might have something better.

    If I knew what all the weeks' sales were from the start - and IIRC that's how you handled the Holiday sale last year - then I'd know which packs I want to spend my points on. If I saw there was more stuff I wanted than I could afford with my savings, I'd be apt to buy more at the start so I could pick up everything I liked. I'd probably buy Archons if it was the only quest pack being discounted. But you've created a situation where the risk of buying too early and missing out on a better sale outweighs the risk of waiting too long and missing a sale, so the smart move is to not buy anything - thus defeating the purpose of a sale.

    Also, not posting what packs are going on sale in the Store Sales thread just makes it that much harder to make a decision on Archons today.
    i bought Archons for my fiancee because it was what, like 175 points? That's a steal. Yea now she doesn't have enough points for a pet, but that can wait. And if another quest pack comes on sale, i think i can buy it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Working for free makes it very difficult to spend money on swords.
    Khyber: Jobus (Shirardi), JaguarPaw (xbow user), Ungriem (tank), Helvetii (DaggerForged), Jobox (AA), Yaddle (DC Monk), Jobberwocky, Jobusz , Vrykolakes, Caeruleum, Brattypoppy, Taurielle (Bard AA), Romuluse, Glorfindela, Gwathali (Assassin), Rachaela

  3. #3
    Community Member MasterKernel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    257

    Post Take off your rose-colored glasses

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I have a pile of Store points and I was saving them for Summer to buy some more quest packs.
    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    But not knowing what's coming up encourages me to sit on them, worried that next week the offer might be better.
    That is exactly why the devs have no interest in you ! :-D

    Sales are all about : saw the item, rush to buy points, buy the item, repeat.

    Hoarding a pile of points from favor and not spending them ? Who cares ? It doesn't bring $$$ to the SSG.

  4. #4
    Community Member AbyssalMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I think you did yourself a disservice by not posting all the Summer Sails sales in advance. You're essentially bidding against yourself, and here's why...
    Please go on... You have spiked my interest.
    /sarcasm on

    I have a pile of Store points and I was saving them for Summer to buy some more quest packs. I'm not saving them for any specific pack hoping it goes on sale (well Rage would be nice...). But not knowing what's coming up encourages me to sit on them, worried that next week the offer might be better. So I'm not buying Archons this week even though its on good sale, because next week might have something better.
    So you do state you are only after one specific pack but the awesome sale on Archons isn't good enough "because next week might be something better."

    IMO, it is the best sale you are going to see on it. The loot was outclassed by RL but it does help you reach 5k favor. If you really are honest about not being too choosy, this is the time to click the accept button. Just keep enough in reserve for Rage and the other obvious ones you are secretly hoping go on sale.

    If I knew what all the weeks' sales were from the start - and IIRC that's how you handled the Holiday sale last year - then I'd know which packs I want to spend my points on. If I saw there was more stuff I wanted than I could afford with my savings, I'd be apt to buy more at the start so I could pick up everything I liked. I'd probably buy Archons if it was the only quest pack being discounted. But you've created a situation where the risk of buying too early and missing out on a better sale outweighs the risk of waiting too long and missing a sale, so the smart move is to not buy anything - thus defeating the purpose of a sale.
    Unless they announce them on Live Streams (which I rarely watch unless something important is mentioned) they never announce the "next sale" whether it is in July, Black Friday, or weekly sale.

    Also, not posting what packs are going on sale in the Store Sales thread just makes it that much harder to make a decision on Archons today.
    Grab it unless you wont have enough for Rage. It really is that simple unless you have "secret" hopes. I literally just buy stuff as it becomes available. Packs are most important, classes are next, and finally Tree's. I passed on the Harper Tree and UMD tome which were both nicely priced simply because I am waiting for the next pack I need to go on sale. Just figure out what your priorities are.

    P.S. SSG makes more money having spontaneous buyers. You can't but the stuff on Amazon (and rarely Steam) so competition is extremely limited. There is a reason why the place the candy in the check out aisle. You never plan to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    147

    Default

    SSGs store team have just not kept up with the times. Remember when steam used to do Flash sales during a holiday sale? These are gone as they do not generate extra revenue overall and reduce customer satisfaction. Personally I think their whole monetisation strategy needs a rethink.

  6. #6
    Community Member Ralmeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caarb View Post
    SSGs store team have just not kept up with the times. Remember when steam used to do Flash sales during a holiday sale? These are gone as they do not generate extra revenue overall and reduce customer satisfaction. Personally I think their whole monetisation strategy needs a rethink.
    I don't agree. I've probably spent more on DDO over this past year than I probably ever have.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    California
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Grab it unless you wont have enough for Rage. It really is that simple unless you have "secret" hopes. I literally just buy stuff as it becomes available. Packs are most important, classes are next, and finally Tree's. I passed on the Harper Tree and UMD tome which were both nicely priced simply because I am waiting for the next pack I need to go on sale. Just figure out what your priorities are.
    Nice example that proves the OP's point. You had some interest in the UMD tome and tree at the price, but you're sitting on points and waiting for an indeterminate amount of time to buy the pack that you want on sale. This is smart and a good strategy for you, but it is costing SSG revenue in purchases that you aren't making as you wait.
    Zanthiss, L30 Mechanic - Cannith

    I've got a Dungeon Master's Guide... I've got 12 sided die...

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Please go on... You have spiked my interest.
    /sarcasm on
    Knew someone was going to make a snap judgment after one sentence and then willfully ignore and misconstrue what I said to make me sound like I'm just being unfair and entitled

    What I'm saying is I might actually spend money to buy points if I see several things across the whole month that I might want to get, archons among them, and my savings aren't enough. But when I'm forced to make blind decisions each week, I'm not going to buy a bundle of points "just in case" a bunch of good stuff comes up...I'm going to judge each week's sales case by case against just my savings, which is a much higher threshold for purchasing.

    I'm trying to help SSG create a situation that encourages spending, because the current one actively discourages it.

    Also the phrase is "piqued my interest"

  9. #9
    Community Member Razor_Wit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKernel View Post
    That is exactly why the devs have no interest in you

    Sales are all about : saw the item, rush to buy points, buy the item, repeat.

    Hoarding a pile of points from favor and not spending them ? Who cares ? It doesn't bring $$$ to the SSG.
    Why does droid care if the the devs have interest in him/her? And why does SSG care whether they were just bought are saved? As long as they're spent right? And how do you know if the op's points are earned or bought hmmm? Are you suggesting that EVERYONE shops like you've explained above?

    Op just bringing another example of missed opportunity. I completely agree w the entire post have posted myself about previous misses with ddo store sales, marketing, timing and strategy. The op isnt really addressing this to the devs but more the person/individuals/Tolero?/3rd party?? who is responsible for analyzing the data, implementing strategy. It was a conscious decision not to provide all the sales info up front. Someone thought profitability would be higher the way they executed. Or they were just testing something new-but I'd be interested in hearing why frankly, because much of my day is spent doing this. Of course they have all the data and I only have my consumer experience.

    Whomever is studying the store business (optimizing revenue) I would be really interested in the rational and why its better to provide sales piece-meal. Are you looking for ddo store consumer experience feedback? Why isnt there a thread, or a link to a optional survey. What sale has been the most successful event they've had? Why? What are the parameters for success the store?

    All intriguing topics to me.

    edit:
    Why is it not always optimal revenue-wise to have a ddo dbl point sale the 2 weeks before having ottos boxes available- but having announced both sales in advance? To me the cost can only be the customers who would have bought a box asap at full ring. Contrast that to how many people would now buy points and ottos boxes (and anything extra with their pile o' points) and feel like they got a good deal. There's a chance there's a factor of ssg being concerned about game health too...
    Last edited by Razor_Wit; 07-19-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    "Unexplained noises are best left unexplained."
    -John Bellairs-

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,483

    Default

    It's my opinion that the store is a disaster. I like to give SSG money because I think they've done DDO really well overall. I bought the double points thing because Summer Sails was incoming, but the sales are bad. I don't regret buying the points because I want to support DDO, but the store is one of the things I find extremely lacking with this game. I've never been impressed with how the store is run so this isn't new. It's kind like the ladder bug or FoM not working or inventory. Just roll with it as being a terrible part of this game. Seems pretty easy to fix the store unlike fixing ladders. Just stop being bad.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    a fantastical place
    Posts
    7

    Default

    When have sales ever ever ever catered to the economically savvy customer? Sales have and always will be calculated risks on the company's part to increase liquidity of certain items as either an attempt to bring customers to the location to make other non-sale purchases or an attempt to sell an item at a lesser value in hopes to make enough money off that item's bulk purchase at it's sale price. To incentivize both tactics requires that the sale target impulse shopping of being exclusive for a period of time.

    It defeats the purpose of targeting exclusivity impulse if they print out the years worth of sales, because if you knew for sure they are selling Otto's Boxes in like, February, for the standard price but selling them again in August after a double points sale and people were aware of that then February's sales of Otto Boxes would likely be affected negatively. Now that sounds like a dirty move, but remember it's a business that can't survive from February to August without selling anything because they don't just magically get to stop having costs from February to August while everybody waits out their sales.

    This is just how the hot dog is made. A company that wants to exist for longer than a quarter wants to keep an open source of revenue and telling you what to expect for their year's worth of sales detracts from them being able to make money, which they absolutely need to do to keep the lights on and you happy that the game isn't dead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload