Default Gith Player Race

Neverwinter, DDO's slow-witted cousin, is going to get the Gith player race first!

https://massivelyop.com/2019/07/15/n...rising-module/

"The gith race will be available free to VIP for the first 2 weeks of the module and afterwards free to everyone (including VIP) for the 2 weeks after that. After the initial 4 weeks, players who didn’t log in for the free gith will have to buy a pack to get access to this race."

The DDO devs need to get going on a Planescape expansion immediately after The Isle of Dread! We can't lose out to Neverwinter on something this important!

Community Member

Notsigned, I have zero interest in Gith or a planescape expansion.

I'd much rather they do Tomb of Horrors, some more forgotten realms stuff (never did do that Anauroch desert expansion) and perhaps a non Barovia Ravenloft themed pack.

As for player races I'd prefer some more racial variants and/or iconics, including Mountain Dwarf, Duergar, maybe Eladrin as a elf variant.

Looks like Neverwinter Online is cashing in on the current mindflayer craze started by the new Baldur's Gate 3.
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

Hero, Mo Bro H'ro, & MB Super-H'ro ComicRelief's Avatar

Default Old Memories

Dam...I mean, darned Githyankis! We had a PnP player that managed to talk the DM into letting him play a Githyanki as a PC. Not surprisingly, he turned on the party (reinforcing my disdain for party betrayals). My character swore an oath to kill him on sight if he ever showed up again...
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

Default I'm confused...

I haven't played Neverwinter since it's first year of release.

How have the Gith made it to Toril? As Illithid prisoners? They are planar -Githyanki being Evil, Githzerai being Neutral.

Does Neverwinter allow Evil PCs?
    How about... Planescape or Dark SUN?

Time to bring in... Psionics!!!

I had a dream last night about how little I cared for Gith's as PC's - true story!

Quote Originally Posted by salmag View Post

How have the Gith made it to Toril? As Illithid prisoners? They are planar -Githyanki being Evil, Githzerai being Neutral.

I searched online and couldn't find any information on evil alignments in Neverwinter. As I recall, alignments are mostly for flavor in Neverwinter and rarely affect game play.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by salmag View Post

No alignment in Neverwinter, you play the stories / campaigns. Who you are doens't really factor, it's .. an action mmorpg I guess. (I don't mean an ARPG btw). It's sort of like free WoW lite with a time gated content access sytem added to it. Grind dailies to open up more of the quests in the chain.

In D&D 3 or somewhere therafter, they took the 2e "spelljammer" stuff and made it so it was cannon. Some of the fiction books have spelljammer "star ships" in their stories.

The backstory is, there's a moon that k's of years ago the ilithid came to and settled on bringing the gith** races as slaves. They hollowed out the moon, and once they were making progress on Toril they set up permanent gates from there to the inside of this moon. The moon was used as a trading base with other spelljammer races and the surface.
    Later, Gith had their rebellion and caused the downfall of the Illithid (inter-stellar) empire, and took over the moonbase. Later still, they had internal war and became the 2 types. Later still .. did they become buddies again / settle things? I don't recall. In 2e they were, I think, N and E, and hated each other. Now they went to civil war over some issue of running their new free society, and I don't see how that leads to 2 "races". They might be just factions of the same "gith" race now.

Anyhow, in Neverwinter, one of those gates has been discovered, so .. it's time to go to the moon starbase.

Personally I hate that storyline, find spelljammers terrible concept and hate the retcon into the universe. They don't fit with anything else, and the idea they have been coming and going regularly in some places for multi-k years, and locals would know and most others DON'T is just unworkable for me. Mind you I hate most of the changes WOTC made to the realms including the aber/toril overlay and then back-out. Not a good way to force new races and redesign the world map how you want imo. Also dislike Sigil / planescape setting being part of FR .. the sigil PC RPG and setting was good on it's own but people being so cosmopolitan and living with multi-dimensional / planar people each day again doesn't fit with then the realms being mostly unaware.

In my opinion we have enough races and classes in DDO to cover just about any playstyle people wants. I do not think we need anything more, not races, not classes.

I hope they spend time on polishing and balancing enhancement trees and epic destinies so they all become useful and fun to use and play for different playstyles. Not on making new things we do not really need.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    In my opinion we have enough races and classes in DDO to cover just about any playstyle people wants. I do not think we need anything more, not races, not classes.

I hope they spend time on polishing and balancing enhancement trees and epic destinies so they all become useful and fun to use and play for different playstyles. Not on making new things we do not really need.
    I think there's still plenty of room for new playstyles - new classes that introduce novel mechanics, let you play within the current roles of melee/ranged/caster but in different ways. I think Warlock is a good example of a class that fits totally in the caster archetype but doesnt play anything like existing casters. It sounds like Alchemist is doing that too, coming out with a new playstyle - so we'll see how it looks in practice once we see the details, though I'm not super excited about just the idea of potion-lobbing.

Races, yes, they're a little oversaturated right now, since race doesnt offer much except a set of passive stats and bonuses for the most part. I'd like to see them focus on Iconics and flesh out the classes represented among them - finish up with an iconic Barb and Sorc and then move into the premium classes as well.

But in both cases, I think you have to justify new additions from a playstyle point of view first. People keep asking for races or classes because they liked playing them in PnP or reading about them in the books. If they arent adding something new to the game, though, then they're just skins.

I'd also add that I like Universal trees as a way of adding pseudo-classes, and opening up new build options. I really hope they come out with a CHA-fighting tree to go along with Harper and Falconer so all the CHA classes can finally get in on the party...
    Last edited by droid327; 07-20-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Goliaths please.
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

Default Giths?

Not interested until they add Psionics to DDO.

Even then, I'd prefer Kalashtar to be introduced first.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome