Default bear dps/tank help pls

Hi, everyone. I'm thinking i would TR into druid my next life. Since i'm not experienced druider i would like to ask the people that knows. I want to be in a bear form, be tanky but also doing decent damage. I would like to do melee damage and use some healing spells when needed. What weapon do i go for? Two handed? or Two one handed? What feats do i go for? What stats i take? And what skills do i take? And is it even possible to do decent damage while being a bear? I don't want over complicated build. Just very simple. Being in bear form, not die on one hit, doing decent damage. Does Cleave skill work in bear form? Should i take Power Attack? I have 36 points to spend. Thank you!!!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by math92 View Post
    Hi, everyone. I'm thinking i would TR into druid my next life. Since i'm not experienced druider i would like to ask the people that knows. I want to be in a bear form, be tanky but also doing decent damage. I would like to do melee damage and use some healing spells when needed. What weapon do i go for? Two handed? or Two one handed?
    Never go two one handed weapons in bear form. You either do a two handed weapon for more damage, or a sword and a shield to unlock the 2nd tier of tanking enhancements in Nature's Protector. I personally favor a two handed weapon.

What feats do i go for?
    Minimum feats are Natural Fighting x 3, Improved Critical ???? (depends on the weapon you want to use). Optional feats that I like to include are Quicken (no interrupt on your heals in combat) and Power Attack. For epics, Overwhelming critical, Perfect Two Weapon Fighting, and Dire Charge are what you want. Others optional based on what you like.

What stats i take?
    Max STR
    16 points into CON.
    Go at least 12 into WIS.
    Otherwise splash to taste.

And what skills do i take?
    Heal, 10 points in Jump, whatever else. You're not a rogue, skill points won't make or break your build.

And is it even possible to do decent damage while being a bear? I don't want over complicated build. Just very simple. Being in bear form, not die on one hit, doing decent damage.
    Sure. The key to doing decent damage while being a bear is to build it like you're building a wolf in everything but your enhancements. DPS feats, DPS gear, build for melee power, doublestrike, melee alacrity, deadly, seeker, accuracy, etc. Don't build it like you're building a tank. If you build a bear like a tank, you shouldn't be surprised when it doesn't do good damage. For enhancements, go 23-28 AP into Nature's Protector at minimum. Get the ability to cast druid spells while raged, get the cores, get the upgrades to your Bloody Claws and Savage Roar. Get the defense toggle and the upgrade to the PRR/MRR for it. Tier 5 bear. Rest of your points into Nature's Warrior. Go 22 AP at a minimum to pick up four legs good. Otherwise pick up skills that work in both wolf and bear form (avoid things like ghost wolf pack, but pick up things like Essence of the Shrike).

Bear form as a lot of crowd control built into it. If you build for high tactical DCs through maxing your STR while raged and adding to your CON while raged, then you can take a hit or two while you get off your Savage Roar, and then chop stuff down while throwing out tremors and bear charges and dire charges, etc. You'll be very sturdy against trash packs while doing pretty decent DPS. Against red names, hit haste boost. You won't be a main tank. There are no main tank builds in the game that also allow you to do decent DPS.

Does Cleave skill work in bear form? Should i take Power Attack? I have 36 points to spend. Thank you!!!
    Yes and Sure. Power attack is even better if you go 18 druid, 1 barbarian, 1 favored soul. Then you can splash some APs into Barbarian Power Attack, as well as getting proficiency in martial weapons, 10% run speed, an extra rage, the ability to splash a few more APs to get more rages, extra rages, more CON while raging, etc out of tier 1 barbarian enhancement trees and a nice boost to your tactical DCs out of Favored Soul War Soul tree (Divine Will) based on your Wisdom score.

I am currently playing a Tanky Druid.

The first thing I will say is the while my Druid is Tanky, they are not a Tank. And part of that is the build doesn't have the synergies that Pally/fighter does with Wizard and Artificer. This life I am 14 Druid, 5 Fighter, 1 wizard, which is a holdover from a Pally Tank design. It is frustrating; I feel the build is close but not quite there. You can go through the whole 9 yards but the AC, HP, and PRR, MRR are not as high as I would have liked, they are all just a bit short. The funny part is my damage is Okay, at level in low Reaper I have no problem getting Agro with the various means and my hate is high enough I can hold agro. The problem is I am just getting smacked around, and I don't see that changing if I were to try and get an Epic Life.

I drew up a Druid, Barbarian, with a splash of another class (Artificer, Bard, Favored Soul, or Wizard) and I am planning to move this way in my next life. I am strongly leaning towards Fighter to utilize the two extra feats and Stalwart Defender tree with a split of 14 Druid, 3 Barbarian and 3 Fighter. The exact split is to be determined.

Your Tank Bear is going to need to use Tactics to have crowd control; trip, stun, sunder, and even sap are extremely useful. Along with Take Down and Shred. Not sure about Slicing Blow, but it may be effective against Trash mobs in Epic if used in conjunction with Shred.

Because Tactics are a big part of the Build and many/most use Strength as primary stat. So Max it out and put all level ups here.
    Constitution and Wisdom are strong secondary stats with Intelligence and Dexterity being Tertiary Stats and Charisma as a Dump Stat, but not one that should be completely ignored.

Feats - Natural Fighting (x3), IC, I like both Power Attack and Combat Expertise and toggle between them. Overwhelming Critical, and Blinding Speed in Epics, but the rest is a matter of your play style.

As for Enhancements, my current plan is to drop I drop 20+ in Racial (I have a few Racial Points), 34 in Nature's Defender and 5 in Eldritch Knight and the rest into various Barbarian Trees.

As for DPS, a Bear can have better damage than a typical tank, but it is supplemented, especially in Heroics, with your Wolf Pet, Sneak Attack and Take down.
    Last edited by GoldyGopher; 07-17-2019 at 10:05 AM.

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Thank you guys very much, that you put your time to answer my questions.