Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 74 of 74
  1. #61
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post

    Personally, I bet it's pretty straight-forward to make a hybrid melee/casting bard that has effective DCs on Hard difficulty. But if I'm wrong, try Normal.
    Problem is, those difficulties are so easy CC isn't necessary (for most).
    Server: Thelanis
    Guild: Fallen Immortals
    Toons: Soza, Sozz, Sozza, Sossa (bards)

  2. #62
    Community Member krimsonrane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoBoDaClown View Post
    Problem is, those difficulties are so easy CC isn't necessary (for most).
    Exactly. i spent a lot of my capped time doing nothing but sword and board.
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

  3. #63
    Community Member krimsonrane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    Cha filigree in both sentient weapon and artifact is the key here.
    That's way too much wasted materials for a passing life.
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

  4. #64
    Community Member noinfo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krimsonrane View Post
    That's way too much wasted materials for a passing life.
    Unfortunately or fortunately depending how you look at it that is how end game is. It is designed for you to be geared out. Past lives can very slightly lessen the load but being maxed gear is what it is all about. If you don't feel its worth the investment and you are a TR then TR. I do get your point with Hard not needing CC unfortunately the reason for this has always been that hard was not hard and that the dev's catered for people by making elite the standard after BB came in.

    Disco
    Mindfog
    Hypno
    Crushing dispair

    single target irresistible dance

    Will save in general are the weakest saves and on elite my shiradi wl burster that I use for gear farming with a 78ish dc hits a lot of mobs with howl. No where near full lock down and no where near all mob types.
    Milacias of Kyber

    Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

    The Myth- TR will make my character powerful
    The Reality- Those kobolds in Water Works won’t have a chance but nothing else cares-Learn to play your build and all its abilities in actual difficult content, get gear and reaper points in level 30+ content and raids.

  5. #65
    Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cannith, usually
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    Same here. As a - still - beginner who has never gone over level 16 with any char, I'm totally shocked.

    Means that I must have reached the cha of all of my cha-based chars with at least 90, when my Clerics or so hit level ... 30.
    I'm not entirely sure which point you're at, but I usually have ~48 casting stat at level 16, and I'm pretty far from optimized. And on my first Wizard life I had ~96 Int at cap, with all of +2 from Filigree lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by yfernbottom View Post
    A bit off topic, but I would say that part of the problem is that the targets you need to hit have shifted, but the bonuses that are easy to get haven't budged a bit. For example, it really seems off to me that blowing an entire feat on specialization only gets you a bonus of +1 for one spell school. Maybe when that was close to a 5% bonus such a minor boost made sense, but now that a total bonus of as high as +80 or 90 is still absolutely terrible for high end content it really doesn't.
    Taking the Specialization feat is in large part so you can grab Magister's +3 as well. So at least it's +4 for the feat+twist? But yeah, if those feats were at least doubled it'd be super awesome With SF/GSF/ESF you'd get +6, which is a bit more noticeable than the +3 it currently is.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

  6. #66
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    120

    Default

    I too am surprised at the difference between levels 33 and 34. TBH 33 for my nuking sorc is too easy while 34 has proven too difficult. I would have thought that difference would be between 34 and reaper and not 33 and 34.

    Also I've appreciated the CHR breakdown and at least have realized what I need to get there, but there are several things that just ain't going to happen for me (completionist, +8 tome, racial completionist, just to name a few). I've come to accept reaper at the epic level won't be happening much if at all, which was disappointing for me because that's all I play during my heroic levels.

    Good to have goals though!

  7. #67
    Community Member krimsonrane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure which point you're at, but I usually have ~48 casting stat at level 16, and I'm pretty far from optimized. And on my first Wizard life I had ~96 Int at cap, with all of +2 from Filigree lol.



    Taking the Specialization feat is in large part so you can grab Magister's +3 as well. So at least it's +4 for the feat+twist? But yeah, if those feats were at least doubled it'd be super awesome With SF/GSF/ESF you'd get +6, which is a bit more noticeable than the +3 it currently is.
    Your signature is offensive. ghetto sorc? really?
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

  8. #68
    Community Member redoubt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,398

    Default

    Do +8 tomes actually drop in game?

    I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but NOONE is even batting an eye that the expected DCs include +8 tome in the casting stat.
    Should a reaper see me? I think Death itself should have to make a spot check when I'm rolling up behind him. -- Krimsonrane

  9. #69
    Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cannith, usually
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redoubt View Post
    Do +8 tomes actually drop in game?

    I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but NOONE is even batting an eye that the expected DCs include +8 tome in the casting stat.
    According to people I raid with, they drop in LE+ Ravenloft raids & KT. I can confirm that +7's drop there on LN/LH, having pulled three.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

  10. #70
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    7,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redoubt View Post
    Do +8 tomes actually drop in game?

    I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but NOONE is even batting an eye that the expected DCs include +8 tome in the casting stat.
    Yes, they do drop. I've seen them a number of times in Baba and Strahd.

    But that's not the reason to routinely include them in breakdowns. Where's Chai when you need him? If someone wants a +8, they can just buy it.

    I do remember the old, old days when the devs promised they wouldn't sell raid loot in the store, but those days are long, long gone. So just go buy your +8 tome raid drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

  11. #71
    Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cannith, usually
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    I do remember the old, old days when the devs promised they wouldn't sell raid loot in the store, but those days are long, long gone. So just go buy your +8 tome raid drop.
    I totally have all the THTH loot I want, spend $$ and won DDO. What?

    Tomes aren't raid loot, they're store loot that the devs have kindly decided to allow to drop in raids XD
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

  12. #72
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    7,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    Tomes aren't raid loot, they're store loot...
    They are now. Thanks for reinforcing my point.

    Join dates aren't always accurate, but is it possible you're not aware of the history here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

  13. #73
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    a fantastical place
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    They are now. Thanks for reinforcing my point.

    Join dates aren't always accurate, but is it possible you're not aware of the history here?
    I'm bored so I'll take a swat here. Tomes were originally high end raid loot and low end store purchases, which dissolved on TR. The game was stagnant because people with these top end raid tomes were unwilling to TR, they couldn't produce content quickly enough, ect. So they've been working on striking out a better balance between their TR system and end game, one of the first casualties of which was tomes. They provided them with greater power in the store and could be made permanent, and saw warm reception to them being purchasable. So the dynamic switched, now the store offered tomes and raids offered loot. But incentive for endgame was falling behind again as more forms of reincarnation were added to the game, so another concession was made that the store items would be added in a tiered fashion back to raid loot. So I don't know what the problem with understanding is here, that they took store items and made them available as raid drops to bring vibrancy back to endgame.

    Also for the rest of the discussion, DCs aren't hard to hit if you work out your gearing but you do have to work out your gearing. Same goes with hybrids, you have to be a lot more careful about gearing by giving up certain things and focus on well rounded stats which is possible given the itemization.

  14. #74
    Community Member Iriale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by somethingcleverer View Post
    I'm bored so I'll take a swat here. Tomes were originally high end raid loot and low end store purchases, which dissolved on TR. The game was stagnant because people with these top end raid tomes were unwilling to TR, they couldn't produce content quickly enough, ect. So they've been working on striking out a better balance between their TR system and end game, one of the first casualties of which was tomes. They provided them with greater power in the store and could be made permanent, and saw warm reception to them being purchasable. So the dynamic switched, now the store offered tomes and raids offered loot. But incentive for endgame was falling behind again as more forms of reincarnation were added to the game, so another concession was made that the store items would be added in a tiered fashion back to raid loot. So I don't know what the problem with understanding is here, that they took store items and made them available as raid drops to bring vibrancy back to endgame.

    Also for the rest of the discussion, DCs aren't hard to hit if you work out your gearing but you do have to work out your gearing. Same goes with hybrids, you have to be a lot more careful about gearing by giving up certain things and focus on well rounded stats which is possible given the itemization.
    That's not true. The old raids offered tomes in their 20 terminations, well after the change of making the permanent tomes in the TR. In fact, for at least 3 years after that change, I remember that the tomes had a good drop in the game. I got a good amount of them even in wilderness areas and end rewards of quests (not raids) years after of the change. So no, what you say is not true. Since the change of tomes as rewards in game to practically store loot was done YEARS after the change to the TRs that you mentioned, it is more logical to think that it was a commercial decision to squeeze the players.

    your other statement is not correct either. DC casting requires intense dedication and the current itemization does not help much in hybrid builds, or more correctly said in D&D language, to the gish. The problem is that in the latest updates the devs have opted for an intense superspecialization in the loot design
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload