Default Can we have a confirmation popup when you click on daily dice for astral shards?

Many many times over the years I accidentally clicked on the reroll dice wasting shards... Especially when its only silver...

This happened to me the other day. I thought I was lagged out, so I clicked on gold spin again. Still lagging, red server status, so I quit. When I came back later I did two gold spins and was down some astral shards for it. That said, the confirmation could be a bit annoying if I'm doing a bunch of intentional spins, so some sort of toggle would be nice.
    I primarily play Zunzyne Siegemaker, and am the guild master of Ares Macrotechnology on Ghallanda.
    Reaper Experience Calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ewE/edit#gid=0 (out of date as of U42.4, needs testing for new values)

Community Member

This literally just happened to me earlier today.

Community Member

What got me was a lag spike when I clicked on loot all and got reroll loot. Happened a couple times not happy! Rerolling in tear or Gwylans

Random chest has it, I see no reason why dice cant have the same thing...

When it first came out, I though silver was free, so I clicked on it. I assumed when you got your free one, the button would gray out until you had another free one. When the button came back, I thought, "Oh. Maybe they are doing something special for the grand opening" so I clicked on it again. And the button didn't gray out, so I clicked again. Not until I ran out of shards did I realize the little 0 or 3 meant something.

I would very much appreciate it if you had to enter a number for shards or there was a completely different button at a completely different place to spend shards.

You get your free daily and click on the button. Then the number on the shard stays zero and if you want you can change that number with a drop down to "Spend Shards" and keep clicking. Not really a "Do you want to" message, which I tend to hate and I feel are deceptive in some instances.

Or there is a "Free Roll" button at the bottom of the window that grays out if you don't have a free roll, and a completely separate button at the top or middle for "Spend Shards".

I am very much against the "Are you sure" message on re-rolling chests. (I know this isnt what the thread is complaining about but its another example of tricky UI design) I believe that people get used to clicking yes, yes, yes when things are bound to account. Then when you accidentally click "Reroll" chest instead of "Loot all" and you get the "Are you sure" message, you are conditioned to click yes and may not even notice.

In any situation, it would be better to make sure that the UI is laid out in a way that cant be misinterpreted. It isn't hard if the desire is there. Simply make it something else to click on at a completely different place or something that you have to think "I want to do that, how do I" instead of something that can trick someone into spending shards accidentally.

So I am against "Are you sure" in general anywhere and all for a different design. It should be a different process for "Free" and a different process for "Paid" and it should take a deliberate thought to get from one to the other.

So, I'm sure some of you will just say "Pay attention! It's your fault!".

But truthfully it is easy to make mistakes. An honest company should design things, if possible, to make it so you don't have to be extremely vigilant. An honest company would design things in a way to make sure accidents are less likely to happen.

I'm not necessarily saying SSG isn't being honest, exactly. I don't think they intended it to be an easy mistake. But they aren't exactly helping to keep it from happening either.
    Last edited by TedSandyman; 07-12-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Community Member

Why not put a toggle switch onto the interface that is normally ticked as "Do not allow non free clicks" and can be toggled off to allow multiple uses?

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by thedip View Post
    Why not put a toggle switch onto the interface that is normally ticked as "Do not allow non free clicks" and can be toggled off to allow multiple uses?
    +1 great idea

Might could work in some sort of parental lock code to unlock said toggle on accounts for minors?
    If possible?

Also, maybe we could have a toggle on chest rerolls as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    +1 great idea

Might could work in some sort of parental lock code to unlock said toggle on accounts for minors?
    If possible?

Also, maybe we could have a toggle on chest rerolls as well?
    Question would be why minors can access ddo, its not exactly a kids friendly game, too much details...

I think they just need to make it clearer when/if you are using shards for the roll. Aesthetically, the panel looks nice - the Shard with the cost superimposed on it. But... it also fades into the rest of the panel. The coloration of the shard and the white number makes it hard to see, and therefore makes it unclear if you are using shards or not. They kinda blend into each other visually. So while it looks very nice, it's not fantastic in terms of usage.

Personally, I think the shard cost should be on an all black field, instead of over the Shard graphic. Maybe with some very clear verbiage: "Cost Per-Roll: x" or some such.

I don't think a confirmation box is needed - but I do think there could/should be a lot more clarity when rolling for actual funds.
    Last edited by Memnir; 07-17-2019 at 05:39 PM.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I think they just need to make it clearer when/if you are using shards for the roll. Aesthetically, the panel looks nice - the Shard with the cost superimposed on it. But... it also fades into the rest of the panel. The coloration of the shard and the white number makes it hard to see, and therefore makes it unclear if you are using shards or not. They kinda blend into each other visually. So while it looks very nice, it's not fantastic in terms of usage.

Personally, I think the shard cost should be on an all black field, instead of over the Shard graphic. Maybe with some very clear verbiage: "Cost Per-Roll: x" or some such.

I don't think a confirmation box is needed - but I do think there could/should be a lot more clarity when rolling for actual funds.
    The problem is due to lag or double click or some other mishap, you spend your shards unknowingly.

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisAlien View Post
    The problem is due to lag or double click or some other mishap, you spend your shards unknowingly.
    i dont think so. when you dont have lag, its annoying to have extra steps. maybe we could add in a reverse command with the roll on a 1 hour timer like stuck?
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Default No...

WAI

TSMD (too short more detail)

DM's love it when a player does something without thinking or on impulse. But the real reason is programmers can be lazy and not think through all the myriad ways that users will interact with the interface. It's also lots of extra work to put in the extra dialog; design and draw the image, etc. There is also a business pressure to make it easy to spend by accident or with little effort.
    Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisAlien View Post
    Many many times over the years I accidentally clicked on the reroll dice wasting shards... Especially when its only silver...
    /Signed!

It makes me really angry with SSG when a lag spike causes a long delay and I think I haven't clicked it, or causes the game to actually miss a click. A confirmation option would compensate for the game's poor performance in this area - I wouldn't mind clicking twice when a click is missed if I didn't worry about getting charged shards for it.
    I am profoundly disappointed with the current state and direction of DDO, and my purchasing habits reflect this. A drastic improvement in quality of life, transparency, and honest communication would improve my spending. Promises and "more squeeze" will not.