Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    558

    Default Surprising SWF dps

    So I decided to test out a SWF pure Barb and it's remarkably effective at current level (18).

    Race human, feats:

    SWF, ISWF, GSWF, Khopesh, IC Slash, Stunning Blow, Magical Training (for orb proficiency) and Improved Shield Bash (for frenzy orb bash procs).

    Enhancement are 41 Occult Slayer, 31 Frenzied Berserker and 8 vistani.
    - Raja Stormcrow -
    http://thesublimeguild.com
    Thelanis Permadeath
    Long Live Xoriat | East Side | Spiritus Mundi

  2. #2
    Community Member drunkbarbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I have a swf barb at cap and it has been a lot of fun. I use almost the same enhancement split except for Aasimar tree for self healing instead of Vistani. I have knight's training for more weapon options.

    I didn't even think about magical training for orb use offhand, or shield mastery. So a few questions.

    Are you getting the double strike bonus from imp shield mastery?

    What orbs would you suggest? After looking through them all, I was thinking TF would be the best option for a barb.

    Although Dreadnaught is the best melee destiny, I have been enjoying running in Fury for boss damage. Boss attack rotation is Action Boost (Prowess), Driving Force, Cracking attack (+2w), Adrenaline (400% damage and +16 crit range on next attack), Seekers Strike (+7w and +1/+1 crit and multi).

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drunkbarbarian View Post
    I have a swf barb at cap and it has been a lot of fun. I use almost the same enhancement split except for Aasimar tree for self healing instead of Vistani. I have knight's training for more weapon options.

    I didn't even think about magical training for orb use offhand, or shield mastery. So a few questions.

    Are you getting the double strike bonus from imp shield mastery?

    What orbs would you suggest? After looking through them all, I was thinking TF would be the best option for a barb.

    Although Dreadnaught is the best melee destiny, I have been enjoying running in Fury for boss damage. Boss attack rotation is Action Boost (Prowess), Driving Force, Cracking attack (+2w), Adrenaline (400% damage and +16 crit range on next attack), Seekers Strike (+7w and +1/+1 crit and multi).

    Thanks
    Shield mastery does not work with orbs, but shield bashing does, so you can get shield bash procs while single weapon fighting.

    I have been using a Cannith crafted orb with a red slot, shield bashing (to improve % chance to proc), parry and combat mastery but I was also thinking thunderforged would be the way to go for a higher level crafted orb.

    I just hit 23 and have been motoring through reaper epics in dreadnaught. I was almost thinking of taking precision and not using rage at this point for the crit options, still on the fence though. Twists are currently Sense Weakness, Grim Precision and Cocoon.

    I'll have to take a look at Fury, that would open a nice tier 4 twist option.
    - Raja Stormcrow -
    http://thesublimeguild.com
    Thelanis Permadeath
    Long Live Xoriat | East Side | Spiritus Mundi

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,086

    Default

    Sounds like fun. May have to try.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sydril View Post
    Shield mastery does not work with orbs, but shield bashing does, so you can get shield bash procs while single weapon fighting.

    I have been using a Cannith crafted orb with a red slot, shield bashing (to improve % chance to proc), parry and combat mastery but I was also thinking thunderforged would be the way to go for a higher level crafted orb.

    I just hit 23 and have been motoring through reaper epics in dreadnaught. I was almost thinking of taking precision and not using rage at this point for the crit options, still on the fence though. Twists are currently Sense Weakness, Grim Precision and Cocoon.

    I'll have to take a look at Fury, that would open a nice tier 4 twist option.
    Don't most orbs have INT for to hit and CHA for to dmg?

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Don't most orbs have INT for to hit and CHA for to dmg?
    This is correct, I'm currently running with 30 int and 36 cha at level 23 but keeping these stats manageable on a barb can be challenging for some.

    I think it's worth it for the x6 crit on a 19-20 and additional damage from frenzy and greater frenzy.

    Also it's worth noting that orbs deal force damage.

    What I think is really important is to make sure you keep a good accuracy item loaded
    Last edited by Sydril; 07-11-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    - Raja Stormcrow -
    http://thesublimeguild.com
    Thelanis Permadeath
    Long Live Xoriat | East Side | Spiritus Mundi

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sydril View Post
    This is correct, I'm currently running with 30 int and 36 cha at level 23 but keeping these stats manageable on a barb can be challenging for some.

    I think it's worth it for the x6 crit on a 19-20 and additional damage from frenzy and greater frenzy.

    Also it's worth noting that orbs deal force damage.

    What I think is really important is to make sure you keep a good accuracy item loaded
    Understand. I can definitely see accuracy, deadly and seeker being even more important on this build. I figured the crits were the difference maker.

  8. #8
    Community Member drunkbarbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Another point with Fury is that pswf gives vorpal on a 19 or 20. That coupled with attack speed recharges adrenaline pretty quick.

  9. #9
    Community Member adrian69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Khyber, mostly.
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sydril View Post
    So I decided to test out a SWF pure Barb and it's remarkably effective at current level (18).

    Race human, feats:

    SWF, ISWF, GSWF, Khopesh, IC Slash, Stunning Blow, Magical Training (for orb proficiency) and Improved Shield Bash (for frenzy orb bash procs).

    Enhancement are 41 Occult Slayer, 31 Frenzied Berserker and 8 vistani.
    I just did a Pure SWF Barb and was cruising through R4s like a breeze. Finally got my first 8 skull solo in Grim and Bare It. My tactics were dire charge, Cracking Attack, Strike Down, barb cleave, great cleave, cleave, barb cleave, and if 3 or more of anything was still standing, Strike Down and Confront Any Foe, and move on. It really spoiled me.

    I went GSWF, Knight's Training, PA, Great Cleave, IC: Slashing, PTWF, Epic DR, PSWF, Dire Charge, Scion of Water (20 MRR really helped+Forge Wraiths seem vuln), Epic Reflexes. I plan on returning to this build once Epic Destiny pass happens to sit for a while while I do competition PvP elsewhere. At level 20, I had about 150 MP, and 230 with Prowess+Melee Power. I ended up running Fate Singer at first, just to finish capping out my 6 million for the upcoming pass, but then it was actually fairly solid DPS until I got to around level 26 content. I then swapped over to DC then except for a few raids. I ran them in LD. For weapons I was swapping between Soulrazor and base Whelm (undead/constructs). I did the old cookie cutter as far as enhancements.

    Aasimar nets 10 MP, 60 HAMP, 3 Str, and Healing Hands (which I used a whole lot less than I thought I would), and sustainable vuln after building it up with another source weapon.

    Anyway, lots of potential with Barbarian play these days. They're not so cut and dry anymore.

  10. #10
    Forum witchdoctor Hobgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    hell.
    Posts
    6,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adrian69 View Post
    I just did a Pure SWF Barb and was cruising through R4s like a breeze. Finally got my first 8 skull solo in Grim and Bare It. My tactics were dire charge, Cracking Attack, Strike Down, barb cleave, great cleave, cleave, barb cleave, and if 3 or more of anything was still standing, Strike Down and Confront Any Foe, and move on. It really spoiled me.

    I went GSWF, Knight's Training, PA, Great Cleave, IC: Slashing, PTWF, Epic DR, PSWF, Dire Charge, Scion of Water (20 MRR really helped+Forge Wraiths seem vuln), Epic Reflexes. I plan on returning to this build once Epic Destiny pass happens to sit for a while while I do competition PvP elsewhere. At level 20, I had about 150 MP, and 230 with Prowess+Melee Power. I ended up running Fate Singer at first, just to finish capping out my 6 million for the upcoming pass, but then it was actually fairly solid DPS until I got to around level 26 content. I then swapped over to DC then except for a few raids. I ran them in LD. For weapons I was swapping between Soulrazor and base Whelm (undead/constructs). I did the old cookie cutter as far as enhancements.

    Aasimar nets 10 MP, 60 HAMP, 3 Str, and Healing Hands (which I used a whole lot less than I thought I would), and sustainable vuln after building it up with another source weapon.

    Anyway, lots of potential with Barbarian play these days. They're not so cut and dry anymore.
    fb cap and t5 ravager?
    main toons: Cerrsi(silly caster/xbow) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly melee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload