Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masters Gift

Community Member

Default Masters Gift

HI all,

so I am one of people late to the party. I have 1 masters gift augment that's fitted in a level one boot. I've decided to farm more of them so I don't have to flip items mid dungeon. Farming this is a Pain in the you know what (at level). Not so much deleras, because people run this for the VoM. But, running all 9 quests of Threnal and remembering not to "repeat" the quest, is a huge pain, especially when nobody wants to run it.

Is it true that most people don't run this until 30 and then blast through them quickly? That seems logical to me. I've tried 3 nights in a row to get a pug going, and it was radio silence.

How many MGs do you currently have? Is it worth it for this grind just to not have to flip gear at the right moment to get that 5%?

Thanks,
    Nico

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nickodeamous View Post
    HI all,

so I am one of people late to the party. I have 1 masters gift augment that's fitted in a level one boot. I've decided to farm more of them so I don't have to flip items mid dungeon. Farming this is a Pain in the you know what (at level). Not so much deleras, because people run this for the VoM. But, running all 9 quests of Threnal and remembering not to "repeat" the quest, is a huge pain, especially when nobody wants to run it.

Is it true that most people don't run this until 30 and then blast through them quickly? That seems logical to me. I've tried 3 nights in a row to get a pug going, and it was radio silence.

How many MGs do you currently have? Is it worth it for this grind just to not have to flip gear at the right moment to get that 5%?

Thanks,
    Nico
    I have maybe 5 to 10 of them. I lost track. On the RTR train I used the gift in items that were applicable across any build, like hit point belts for example, and just rotated them in as I leveled up.
    Yea farming Threnal on a high level toon is the only bearable way to do it. Delera's is not a problem because it is a good chain for leveling.

HI all,

Thanks,
    Nico
    Set up a "rat catcher"farm party up, it's a popular item from the threnal end reward list
    Remember, you don't have to do it at level!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Community Member

Default An Easier Way

Check the DDO Wiki for how to run this without repeating all the quests for an end reward. About a year ago, I found myself with 12 Voice of the Master from many runs of Delaras, and spent a couple of hours running and rerunning the Threnal quests to get enough to make me 12 of the Master's Gifts. I did it, as I recall, at level 18, to make it easier. Yeah, it was butt-numbing boring, but now I have enough Master's Gifts to put in all my different levels gear to never have to swap them out, with a few to spare. Each run seemed to be run faster and faster as you learn the monsters and the best route.

I had several cloaks lying around from misc runs, so the part I found grindy was farming up the Greater Tokens. But I do know The Chronoscope now.

Is it worth it for this grind just to not have to flip gear at the right moment to get that 5%?
    If at all possible, you want your +5% xp item on at all times, b/c the XP from many optionals rains down during a quest, not just at the end. Plus, if you forget to swap, or are incapacitated/dead, or if L Zerghole Jenkins rushes forward and ends the quest early without letting anyone else know his intention - no love.

I have 1 masters gift augment that's fitted in a level one boot...
    o https://ddowiki.com/page/Symbol_of_the_Slave_Lords

Just one option.

Is it true that most people don't run this until 30 and then blast through them quickly?
    Don't know about "most", but a lot of folk will run it once at-level (or so) for their first time. After that... it's a long chain for that reward.

Quote Originally Posted by charliecharlie View Post
    Check the DDO Wiki for how to run this without repeating all the quests for an end reward...
    Yep, shorter by 3 of the longer quests in the chain.

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Ruins_of_Th...ng_end_rewards

Community Member

This is all good stuff guys! I basically where my level 1 boot with masters gift until level 15 and then I flip in my pale green ion stone. I recently got the quiver, so I have my 30% striding for life, which makes life easier.

I think I want 1 for my level 5 CC gearset, one for my RL gearset at 10, one for my sharn gearset at 15 and then who knows. I am going to farm this later on with my toon at higher level for sure. I have 3 more quests to do, and I am dreading it. haha

thanks again!
    Nico

How many MGs do you currently have?
    9, yes it's worth it so you don't miss out on the 5% for optionals

I have them slotted in various gloves from 1-30

the real pain in farming them is if you don't have a pile of greater tokens of the 12 sitting around in a bag, since you will probably be soloing E chronoscope and E demon queen every 3 days until you get 5

Community Member

I have a dozen and a half or so Master's Gifts at this point. I make sure to make one every life. If you are having trouble getting people to run Threnal your best bet is to do it at level 9 on R1. You can go straight from Necro 2 to Threnal after finishing Shadow Crypt. That pack is much easier to gather people for. The trick to Threnal is first filling a party doing other quests and then announcing to the party after finishing a previous quest that you are heading to Threnal. People tend to stay in parties once they have already done a few quests so you will usually get some people that way (and really you only need one person that knows what they are doing for Threnal to be an easy pack). I use this technique all the time of running popular quests first and then announcing something less popular. Usually most of the people will stay (if not the entire group).

Community Member

The only really terrible leg of the chain is the Defend Coyle version of Devil Assault. For that one, wait 'til you can call an epic hire. Park it in the middle on active, park your toon by the shrine in sneak mode, then fix yourself lunch, or watch TV for 15 minutes.

Threnal could use some attention, and this has been discussed, more than a few times, with good suggestions. Too bad, because Threnal deserves better than what it got.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyed-Pyper View Post
    The only really terrible leg of the chain is the Defend Coyle version of Devil Assault. For that one, wait 'til you can call an epic hire. Park it in the middle on active, park your toon by the shrine in sneak mode, then fix yourself lunch, or watch TV for 15 minutes.

Threnal could use some attention, and this has been discussed, more than a few times, with good suggestions. Too bad, because Threnal deserves better than what it got.
    I've heard the reason they wont change Delera's (the long wait for that one door) is that Gary Gygax had a hand in designing it. I don't know for sure if that is true but I also wonder about Threnal. Since the Dave Arneson memorial is there I wonder if Dave or Gary had something to do with the design and the developers hate to change anything.

I love most of Threnal although I haven't played it in a while. I am soooo glad they made it so you don't have to keep Coyle alive. Truthfully, that made that dungeon playable even though it is still too long. I was surprised and delighted when they made that small change. Everything else is small potatoes to me.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    I've heard the reason they wont change Delera's (the long wait for that one door) is that Gary Gygax had a hand in designing it. I don't know for sure if that is true but I also wonder about Threnal. Since the Dave Arneson memorial is there I wonder if Dave or Gary had something to do with the design and the developers hate to change anything.

I love most of Threnal although I haven't played it in a while. I am soooo glad they made it so you don't have to keep Coyle alive. Truthfully, that made that dungeon playable even though it is still too long. I was surprised and delighted when they made that small change. Everything else is small potatoes to me.
    The changes to Coyle were good, yes. Babysitting quests are terrible, especially NPCs on suicide watch.

Overall, the changes to Threnal I suggest have very little to do with deviating from the creative aspects. Fix the quest levels so that there is a natural progression. For example, adjust the difficulties so that Westerns are all level 8, Easterns all level 9, Southerns all level 10. Even if that means doing nothing more than changing the quest level. For the Southern chain, Entering the Gate Chamber is really out of line with regards to length, compared to the other two, especially The Gate Chamber. Split off part of EtGC and add it to TGC or simply put more in TGC.

Changes to the game, bravery bonus, reaper etc, affected the game in ways unanticipated at the time. A few tweaks to compensate is what I suggest. In my opinion, honor the creativity of Gygax, Arneson et all, by inviting people to play the quests.

HI all,

Thanks,
    Nico
    I have one. I have done bunches of lives and farmed for all kinds of gear. Just never seemed like something I needed to get more than one of. Meh.
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

HI all,

Thanks,
    Nico
    I like running Threnal at level, so this has never been a problem for me. I would not want to farm this though because that sounds dreadfully boring. Instead I just make sure to run both Threnal and Delarus each life, as well as some of the epic raids that drop greater tokens (Demon Queen, VON, Chrono), and I just get one Master’s Touch augment per life. These are definitely worth getting. I ended up putting mine in a generic item that works for any build. In particular, true seeing goggles for level 1, wizardry of false life rings at higher levels.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Community Member

I only have one on my secondary, though I was considering getting a tier 3 blasting chime from cannith challenges and slotting it in that and forgetting about changing out trinkets.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

HI all,

Thanks,
    Nico
    As a special note since you're going to be doing Threnal anyway:

Ratcatcher is a chain end reward Crossbow that's really, really good. No, better than that.

If you think you might ever run an Inquisitor life and you happen to get a Ratcatcher as your chain end reward, you might want to grab it and run the chain a second time at cap for the cloak. It's guaranteed to drop on the third run of the chain, but do you really want to run Threnal three times?
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Inquisitor life
    InquisiTIVE. Less smiting, more Sherlock Holmes.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    L Zerghole Jenkins
    You know this guy too? We must be on the same server. lol
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    You know this guy too? We must be on the same server. lol
    Could be! But seems like the type who has alts on all servers.

HI all,

I have 0. You'd think that after playing since nearly the beginning and having 20-odd viable characters, I'd have at least 1.

I just really can't stand threnal. It activates a very primal (if not slightly irrational) hatred from horrible groups of days long past, so the grind is definitely not worth it in my book.

The previous suggestion of putting up a Ratcatcher group is likely your best bet. Nearly everyone considering Inquisitive is gonna want a Ratcatcher.
    Shiz -Proud Officer of the Southern Tenant Farmers Union - Ghallanda
    Shizmonkey, Shizrhino, Shizchopper and other various Shizanimals and Shizappliances
    R.O.G.U.E. Proving Grounds Redux is now defunct. Check out Part Quatre

Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post

Kill the mobs in the right order to open the door quicker in delara 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyed-Pyper View Post
    The changes to Coyle were good, yes. Babysitting quests are terrible, especially NPCs on suicide watch.

Overall, the changes to Threnal I suggest have very little to do with deviating from the creative aspects. Fix the quest levels so that there is a natural progression. For example, adjust the difficulties so that Westerns are all level 8, Easterns all level 9, Southerns all level 10. Even if that means doing nothing more than changing the quest level. For the Southern chain, Entering the Gate Chamber is really out of line with regards to length, compared to the other two, especially The Gate Chamber. Split off part of EtGC and add it to TGC or simply put more in TGC.

Changes to the game, bravery bonus, reaper etc, affected the game in ways unanticipated at the time. A few tweaks to compensate is what I suggest. In my opinion, honor the creativity of Gygax, Arneson et all, by inviting people to play the quests.
    +1
    Agreed, the lv range is too spread out.
    As for the changes to coyle, when the devs made changes to increase the difficulty, it became realy hard to keep coyle alive, the ice renders polar ray 1 shot nearly every player, coyle never stood a chance if he got targeted. However, with reapeds in play, coyle is as good as dead as soon as the timer starts.
    Especially when you share the server with 80 other people (timezone issue), of wich none are flagged or in lv range
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast