Community Member

Default The Barb Druid DPS Wolf

I have been trying to find a more detailed explanation of the Barbarian Druid wolf that is seems to be popular, but I haven't been able to find one. Has anyone shared a more detailed one?

This is the closest I have found:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1523927695

Re: Wolf build request Seems barb wolves are the best

Str: 18 rest wathever

Lv 1 barb PA swap for precision at cap, or not, because barb has improved PA
    Lv 2 Druid
    Lv 3 Druid - Completionist
    Lv 4 Druid
    Lv 5 Druid
    Lv 6 Druid - Natural Fighting
    Lv 7 Druid
    Lv 8 Druid
    Lv 9 Druid - Natural Fighting
    Lv 10 Barb
    Lv 11 Barb
    Lv 12 Cleric or Fvs - IC
    Lv 13 Barb
    Lv 14 Barb
    Lv 15 Barb - Natural Fighting
    Lv 16 Barb
    Lv 17 Barb
    Lv 18 wathever - Sneak of Shadows
    Lv 19 wathever
    Lv 20 wathever

Going 11 barb gives you greater rage, 1% more DR
    Going more druid gives you more spells
    Going more divine gives you nothing really

Lv 21 - OC
    Lv 24 - wathever, maybe precision so you have both
    Lv 26 - PTWF
    Lv 27 - Blinding speed
    Lv 28 - Tactician
    Lv 29 - Dire charge
    Lv 30 - Ethereal and wathever

Enhancements pick what you find useful, you have IQ, just giving general directions:
    FB tier 5
    Natures warrior tier 4
    Nature's protector for Primal Beast
    War soul divine might
    Ravaged IPA? has ap for that maybe not, if no dump PA for precision

Build doesn't have a lot of AoE but it's what everyone is running at endgame for nuts DPS

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by piercia View Post
    I have been trying to find a more detailed explanation of the Barbarian Druid wolf that is seems to be popular, but I haven't been able to find one. Has anyone shared a more detailed one?
    I have no idea which build(s) are popular these days, but the three main options for barb wolves are:
    • Druid 18 / barb 1 / cleric or FvS 1: the barb splash gets you +10% run speed, martial weapons prof (so no need to spend a feat), and tier-1 enhancements which stack with Rage of the Beast (i.e. Power Rage et al). The cleric / FvS splash is for Divine Might / Will / Presence. sample
    • Druid 8+ / barb 5+: druid 8 for Winter Wolf form, barb 5 for tier-5s. Advantage over the first option: better crit threat profile (either +2 multiplier from Focused Wrath or +1/+1 from OS). From there you can either invest in more druid levels or more barb levels; or combine a third class such as fighter. Downside: lose higher-level druid spells such as Snowslide and tier-5 Nature Warrior abilities. One possible variant: druid 8 / barb 6 / fighter 6 which combines Crit Rage (+2 range) with Strike w/No Thought (+1 crit multiplier).
    • Silvanus builds: druid 8-9 / barb 5-6 / cleric or FvS 6 using mauls. Blessing of Silvanus is +2 crit range to mauls which stacks with barb crit bonuses. Downsides: restricted to Forgotten Realms (Iconic) races except sun elves (who are Amauntor-only), which means you need to LR +1 out of your Iconic's initial level.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Downsides: restricted to Forgotten Realms (Iconic) races except sun elves (who are Amauntor-only), which means you need to LR +1 out of your Iconic's initial level.[/LIST]
    Nit-picky detail: It's also not available to Bladeforged, who can only go Lord of Blades.

Personally, I see a lot more of the third build, only partly because I've started playing one myself.
    - Folks typically go Clr 6 for Strength domain - since THF's 1.5x stat bonus to damage persists through wolf form, Divine Might is slightly better than FvS's Divine Will despite the Wis synergy.
    - Druid 8 / Barb 6 has better dps than Druid 9 / Barb 5, thanks to Frenzy. Druid 9 / Barb 5 gives you a few 5th-level spells, meaning you don't have to shift out of wolf form to scroll-rez somebody or for buffing

Community Member

No longer recommended due to wolf nerf.
    Last edited by Zretch; 08-07-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Community Member

No longer recommended due to wolf nerf.
    Last edited by Zretch; 08-07-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Community Member

Both of these builds are super helpful! I am level 7 now and taking a bit from each, though i did go with the aasimar. One question, Why invest into bloody claws? This build seems more focused on wolf roar is bloody claws are bear. Do you suggest going between wolf and bear based on need?

[*]Silvanus builds: druid 8-9 / barb 5-6 / cleric or FvS 6 using mauls. Blessing of Silvanus is +2 crit range to mauls which stacks with barb crit bonuses. Downsides: restricted to Forgotten Realms (Iconic) races except sun elves (who are Amauntor-only), which means you need to LR +1 out of your Iconic's initial level.[/LIST]
    I think if OP is anything like me and hates all the downsides of Rage, I'd go a similar but different route with 8drd/6ftr/6clr PDK. Does not require LR +1 heart, does not require Rage (tho still an option), Kensei goodies can all but pretty much compensate for the lack of uber raging strength with tactics, extra ABs, +1 to-hit and to-damage, 40MP with almost full uptime.
    Sure it won't be breaking Barb split DPS records but the ability to choose Twists other than "Crusade-Sacred Ground-Consecration-Primal Scream" so you can solo reapers is very good.

Community Member

Both of these builds are super helpful! I am level 7 now and taking a bit from each, though i did go with the aasimar. One question, Why invest into bloody claws? This build seems more focused on wolf roar is bloody claws are bear. Do you suggest going between wolf and bear based on need?
    If you're raging, you'll want 23 AP spent in NP at minimum, so I found that the opportunity cost of Bloody Claws I&II + Savage Roar wasn't all that bad vs extra MRR that is capped at 100 anyway or additional threat on hit that you don't want. Bear form when running on a character built as a wolf isn't actually that bad. It has a different pace of play (Bear animations are slower, run speed is slower), but if you like CC, Bear is where it's at. I like running bear for those trash packs that tend to be spread out. It is absolutely NOT optimal or required for the build, but it does allow some flexibility to try out bear, and it allows you to switch between wolf and bear without having to reset enhancement points or spells, meaning if you run into a particularity bothersome trash pack that you can't CC on your wolf, you can drop into bear, hit a shred, hit a great maul, and stun the entire group with a roar. When that wears off, hit a tremor. When shred comes off timer, repeat. Add in dire charge into the rotation at 29&30.

Those two builds aren't DPS optimized or raid optimized. But they should serve very well in leveling up, and at 29 they should hit very hard, very fast with only a couple of clickies to maintain.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zretch View Post
    If you're raging, you'll want 23 AP spent in NP at minimum, so I found that the opportunity cost of Bloody Claws I&II + Savage Roar wasn't all that bad vs extra MRR that is capped at 100 anyway or additional threat on hit that you don't want. Bear form when running on a character built as a wolf isn't actually that bad. It has a different pace of play (Bear animations are slower, run speed is slower), but if you like CC, Bear is where it's at. I like running bear for those trash packs that tend to be spread out. It is absolutely NOT optimal or required for the build, but it does allow some flexibility to try out bear, and it allows you to switch between wolf and bear without having to reset enhancement points or spells, meaning if you run into a particularity bothersome trash pack that you can't CC on your wolf, you can drop into bear, hit a shred, hit a great maul, and stun the entire group with a roar. When that wears off, hit a tremor. When shred comes off timer, repeat. Add in dire charge into the rotation at 29&30.

Those two builds aren't DPS optimized or raid optimized. But they should serve very well in leveling up, and at 29 they should hit very hard, very fast with only a couple of clickies to maintain.
    Thanks for the response. I do like the utility of having the bear. I ended up taking Dire bear first actually, but I am looking forward to going back to wolf with dire wolf in a few levels. Another question, do you use any of the skills like intimidate, bluff, or diplomacy? Where did you put your skills?

Community Member

Thanks for the response. I do like the utility of having the bear. I ended up taking Dire bear first actually, but I am looking forward to going back to wolf with dire wolf in a few levels. Another question, do you use any of the skills like intimidate, bluff, or diplomacy? Where did you put your skills?
    I put my skill points into Heal (max), Jump (up to 10), UMD (11 skill, 22 skill points). You may want to throw some points into Bluff, but honestly if you're not charisma focused, you're probably not succeeding on Intimidate, Bluff, or Diplomancy checks in epics anyway, so I tend not to focus on them. Wolves do get sneak attack die, so you can put points into Hide if you want to pump up Dex and go Scion of the Ethereal. I tend to make Wis my tertiary stat (STR -> CON -> WIS) for Mass Frog, so I don't do Hide and just stick to Arborea.

Community Member

Another question, why do you go with Quicken Spell? Is it for the melee spell attacks?

I have no idea which build(s) are popular these days, but the three main options for barb wolves are:
    • Druid 18 / barb 1 / cleric or FvS 1: the barb splash gets you +10% run speed, martial weapons prof (so no need to spend a feat), and tier-1 enhancements which stack with Rage of the Beast (i.e. Power Rage et al). The cleric / FvS splash is for Divine Might / Will / Presence.
    • Silvanus builds: druid 8-9 / barb 5-6 / cleric or FvS 6 using mauls. Blessing of Silvanus is +2 crit range to mauls which stacks with barb crit bonuses. Downsides: restricted to Forgotten Realms (Iconic) races except sun elves (who are Amauntor-only), which means you need to LR +1 out of your Iconic's initial level.
    The two main wolf builds that are generally ran now are variants of the 18/1/1 or the more common 8/6/6. The fully optimized 8/6/6 requires a +1 heart for druid/barb/clr on a PDK. If you don't want to spend the DDOP swap fighter for barb and just roll with it.
    The Shadow Assassin, and all around Miserable Elitist

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Another question, why do you go with Quicken Spell? Is it for the melee spell attacks?
    Even if sleetstorm is the only spell you quicken, it’s worth taking for that. It’s such a good spell. It reduces the damage you take and gives you full sneak attack damage against everyone in the fog. SO GOOD!

...but it has an obnoxiously long casting time.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful