Default Request for build advice

looking for an undead (wiz/pm)/ warlock build, preferably on an iconic so I can start out on a new server. I have all iconics except tiefling.
    Last edited by ronco; 07-02-2019 at 05:58 PM.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    looking for an undead (wiz/pm)/ warlock build...
    Not sure what you mean - just enough Wiz to get undead healing, and DPS from 'lock?

Warlock is strong, so w/ zombie form (Wiz 6), that's 14 Warlock, should be enough to carry that end. The question would be what order - pro'ly start w/ Lock to get the DPS, then shuffle in enough Wiz for the undead angle. Problem is whether 'lock can do the undead healing spells that work w/ a true PM.

Vampire form (Wiz 12/Warlock 8) is a tougher sell, but might work at some level.

Either way, your casting DC's are gonna be trash, so it has to be (almost) all blast/aura.

What exactly were you thinking of? Did you see one in the wild?

I was thinking Vampire form (Wiz 12/Warlock 8), it would be more of a flavour build not expecting to have the ultimate endgame build but just something to play around with.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Community Member

Here's a quick advice: Don't. Either run a pure wizard, or a pure warlock.

Deep gnome illusionist can be very decent even first life after you acquire some gear.

Considering that there's no warlock iconic, you could go PDK 1 / Warlock 14. I have a heavy duty mule with this split, parked at level 15, it works nicely.

Also consider bladeforged sorcerer.

I was thinking Vampire form (Wiz 12/Warlock 8), it would be more of a flavour build not expecting to have the ultimate endgame build but just something to play around with.
    When you say "endgame", you mean 18/20, or 30?

Cuz if you think you're going to take that 12/8 split very deep into Epics, let me join Cru in saying - yeah, think again. Even end-Heroics might show little love for this effort.

Not only are you giving up a huge chunk of DPS by chucking 12 Warlock levels, but about zero* of your spells from either class are going to land if they have a Saving Throw - and that includes most all of your CC spells. There are a very few exceptions, but you can forget Web, and you won't even get to a 'Locks bread and butter for self-defense, Tentacles.

(* Well, even monsters roll a "1" 5% of the time, and some of your Wizard spells might get away with a bit more than that.)

The best this "flavor build" promises is some level of survivability - but with such low DPS, quest completion on anything above Normal could be a loooooooong process.

That said, it's an Iconic, so go w/ Sun Elf (+2 Int), and see for yourself.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I can make any allowable build combo work but that doesn't mean it would work well. There doesn't seem to be a lot of synergy here: most casters lose a lot of DPS by heavily multiclassing; wizard and warlock have different caster stats (INT & CHA); and I don't know how you plan to spread your APs but I'm gonna guess they will be stretched too thin regardless.

I suppose you could make a Pale Master with tier-5 Enlightened Spirit for Spirit Blast + Shining Through. I'm not convinced that would be worth the compromises, though. At least the Zombie Cleric can self-unheal with the DiDi NEB SLA and single-target Inflict/Harm spells. This build doesn't even have that going for it.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 07-04-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

FYI: Unbongwah is one of the few best serious build gurus on the boards. If he can't make it work, it probably can't work. Just sayin'.

Community Member

Default Zombie + EK + ES + Ftr

Consider going with this tough combat build.
    Drow/Sun Elf Wizard 12, Warlock 5, Fighter 3

Key Enhancements:
    PM: Zombie, Negative Energy Conduit, Bone Armor, and Cloak of Night (~23 AP)
    ES: Brilliance (~21 AP)
    EK: Spell Sword, Imbue the Blade, Subtle Force, Eldritch Accuracy, and Knight's Transformation (~22 AP)
    Drow/Sun Elf: Arcane Fluidity 15% (~4 AP)

Key Feats:
    Extend Spell, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Two Handed Fighting
    If possible {Improved and Greater Two Handed Fighting

Stats:
    Strength - 15+
    Intelligence - 16
    Constitution - Whatever's left
    Dump Dex, Wis, and Chr.
    Increase Str. and Con. roughly evenly.

Key Spells:
    Don't worry about casting Warlock Spells.
    Wizard: You'll want both Death Auras and NEB, buffs, Ice Storm, Burning Blood, Niacs, and Eladar's

Equipment:
    Best 2-hand weapon you can get
    Heavy Armor (you'll have no problem with ASF). You should even be able to cast consistently with a Tower Shield in hand.
    Best Light Resistance Item (plenty in auction house or easy to craft)
    Boost Negative Healing Amp and Negative Spell Power

Play:
    This is a solid DPS 2-handed fighter build that's a heck of lot tougher than most casters, but not tough enough to tank. You could tank in a pinch, but probably not worth it. Now that Spell Sword also grants Ghost Touch, this build is good for Reaper. Start combats by casting Ice Storm {no saves, 2 types of damage, and 50% move speed for enemies}. Ice Storm is there to just add AOE damage to force healers to focus on multiple targets, and slightly increase your DPS. Dive in and start swinging away. Cast Extended DA and LDA for regeneration style continuous healing, which is augmented by your aura's temp hit points. Use NEB for instant heals.

You ES Aura, DA, and LDA spells are not there to do damage to enemies: The DCs are too low to count on, so don't. These are your healing sources, and that's all.

Generally speaking, this build is nearly indestructible except for those killer light spells in Running with the Devils. DPS isn't the highest, but it's decent and can be supplemented with your DoT spells (no saves and no SR).

This build doesn't worry about overcoming Saves or SR for spell casting. Most damage is combat damage, so low spell points aren't much of a concern - you should have plenty unless casters/beholders keep debuffing you.

I recommend running with Acid Spell Sword most of the time, so equip yourself accordingly. You also can add in Light Damage to your attacks from ES Spiritual Retribution (you have plenty of AP left to add this in).

A small change to this build can make it a solid Sword and Board. Instead of 2-handed fighting, take Shield Feats. Again, I wouldn't play the tank role unless there's none better: This is a balanced damage/defense build. A good Diplomacy skill would make that pretty clear in groups.

I've run a similar Zombie/EK 18, Ftr 2 build, and it's a fun toon to play.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Careall View Post
    Consider going with this tough combat build.
    Drow/Sun Elf Wizard 12, Warlock 5, Fighter 3

Key Enhancements:
    PM: Zombie, Negative Energy Conduit, Bone Armor, and Cloak of Night (~23 AP)
    ES: Brilliance (~21 AP)
    EK: Spell Sword, Imbue the Blade, Subtle Force, Eldritch Accuracy, and Knight's Transformation (~22 AP)
    Drow/Sun Elf: Arcane Fluidity 15% (~4 AP)
    It's an interesting concept but issues I see right off the bat: no tier-5 abilities (which is where e.g. EK's crit bonuses are); zombie form takes an inherent -20% melee attack speed penalty (and anyway if you're willing to spend that much in PM why aren't you using vamp or wraith form instead); no INT to damage but that's okay because you're going STR- and CON-based instead for whatever reason.

Like I said, there's plenty of builds where the pieces technically fit together but the final results are...not great. And pure EK is finally good enough to be worth focusing on, so I don't know why someone would want to go backwards to the days of heavily-MCed battlewizards apart from flavor or salvaging an old toon without Reincarnating or something like that.
    I've run a similar Zombie/EK 18, Ftr 2 build, and it's a fun toon to play.
    This is actually a much better concept IMO since you aren't wasting APs on ES, you can afford tier-5 EK; that plus level 18 EK core gives you much better melee DPS. Zombie is still a bad idea for any melee - whereas ranged DPS is unaffected so go run a zombie Inquisitive instead, IMO - but the tradeoffs are smaller vs wiz 20. I'd also consider wiz 17 / ftr 3: lower DPS for Stalwart defensive stance.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!