Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default Permanent gold seal hirelings

    Is there a way to acquire the epic hireling from Masterminds of Sharn apart from paying the 130$ bundle?

    I'm a casual player and like to run the content solo most of the time, and those hireling are quite a commodity, but it seems a bit too much (I have the Lioness and Owlbear). I'd like to purchase other permanent hirelings but it seems there is no way to get panther (preorder) or epic scarecrow (pay 130$ also), so far as I know.

  2. #2
    Community Member NemesisAlien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Look up, way up, in space.
    Posts
    1,078

    Default

    I want panther also, got scarecrow cheaper, on black friday last year....

  3. #3
    Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    10,872

    Default

    If you accidently lose your panther, it cannot be returned and it will never be sold again.
    If you accidently lose any other expansion permanent hire, put out an in game ticket, and it will be dealt with.

    Black Friday/Cyber Monday (weekend after USA's Thanksgiving holiday = the fourth Thursday of November = Thursday, November 28) is the date of sure fire sales on all Expansions.

    SSG last year placed the discount at 40%, I think.

    The lioness was a surprise and likely a reaction to the fan's reaction of the panther staying unavailable forever.

  4. #4
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,223

    Default

    Don’t forget the level 3 permanent cleric hireling from the one little pack. Best permanent gold seal hireling in the game. He can give you spell points back as well as heal you.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Why do you want to know?
    Posts
    26

    Default

    *she?

  6. #6
    Community Member AbyssalMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,398

    Default

    Even as horrible as Hirelings are, I have and will continue to advocate for the Store or Market to sell Permanent Gold Seal Hirelings. It's a wonderful way for SSG to generate income and more than one of us would gladly help support the company and development by purchasing them.

    The best thing is that Hirelings are so horrible that SSG would have to do some pretty blatant "mess up's" to make them over powering.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

  7. #7
    Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goalt View Post
    *she?
    Yes.

    On the other hand, gender doesn't seem to be that important these days.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

  8. #8
    Community Member Dragavon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bardet View Post
    Is there a way to acquire the epic hireling from Masterminds of Sharn apart from paying the 130$ bundle?

    I'm a casual player and like to run the content solo most of the time, and those hireling are quite a commodity, but it seems a bit too much (I have the Lioness and Owlbear). I'd like to purchase other permanent hirelings but it seems there is no way to get panther (preorder) or epic scarecrow (pay 130$ also), so far as I know.
    The point of these hirelings are that they are unique to the expansion pack deal they came with. So no, it will never happen that you can get them without buying the pack they belong in. And it never should.

  9. #9
    Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    10,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Don’t forget the level 3 permanent cleric hireling from the one little pack. Best permanent gold seal hireling in the game. He can give you spell points back as well as heal you.
    Nice catch.
    +1

    Indeed, useful for questing up until around level 8ish...

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    Nice catch.
    +1

    Indeed, useful for questing up until around level 8ish...
    I was using her today and I was running a lvl 15 toon. Summon her at the start and call her to you when necessary - she is an excellent portable band-aid and mana battery.

    If I could only have one gold seal hireling, she would be it.

  11. #11
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,223

    Default

    If they ever came out with a level 9 permanent gold seal Cleric hireling with Divine Vitality, I'd gladly pay $20 for it. I know I'm not the only one.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    If they ever came out with a level 9 permanent gold seal Cleric hireling with Divine Vitality, I'd gladly pay $20 for it. I know I'm not the only one.
    Or how about the (iirc) L10 one with DV and DW?

  13. #13
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Or how about the (iirc) L10 one with DV and DW?
    Does it have Raise Dead? How did I miss this? Where do I get it?
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    613

    Default

    +1 for more Cleric healslaves.

    Love my Elieri to death and back, and I'd pay dearly to get a higher level replacement.

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Even as horrible as Hirelings are, I have and will continue to advocate for the Store or Market to sell Permanent Gold Seal Hirelings. It's a wonderful way for SSG to generate income and more than one of us would gladly help support the company and development by purchasing them.

    The best thing is that Hirelings are so horrible that SSG would have to do some pretty blatant "mess up's" to make them over powering.
    Agreed. There is an entire section of the consumer market that will never buy a temporary gold seal hireling contract that would purchase every permanent gold seal hireling they added to the store. The question really is whether they make so much from selling the temporary gold seal hirelings that they would lose money overall by selling permanent ones for a much higher price. I'm guessing permanent ones would generate more revenue overall, but it is difficult to tell as the people that buy lots of gold seal hirelings form the store tend to be people that solo a lot (so we never see them).

  16. #16
    Community Member AbyssalMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    Agreed. There is an entire section of the consumer market that will never buy a temporary gold seal hireling contract that would purchase every permanent gold seal hireling they added to the store. The question really is whether they make so much from selling the temporary gold seal hirelings that they would lose money overall by selling permanent ones for a much higher price. I'm guessing permanent ones would generate more revenue overall, but it is difficult to tell as the people that buy lots of gold seal hirelings form the store tend to be people that solo a lot (so we never see them).
    You know, I personally have never thought about this. Thanks.

    p.s. I figured it was closer to, "People will demand a refund so we just won't provide them the opportunity to make the purchase."
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

  17. #17
    Community Member waryJerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Permanent gold seal hirelings would be nice, but nicer yet would be a fully redesigned hireling. Imagine a hireling you start out with at level one and levels up with you as you progress and whose spells and gear you would get to choose. Something like this is feature of a number of games and it doesn't seem like it would be beyond the capabilities of the hard-working yet enthusiastic devs here at DDO. And if it is beyond the capabilities of the DDO team, please tell us why.

  18. #18
    Community Member SiliconScout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    2,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waryJerry View Post
    Permanent gold seal hirelings would be nice, but nicer yet would be a fully redesigned hireling. Imagine a hireling you start out with at level one and levels up with you as you progress and whose spells and gear you would get to choose. Something like this is feature of a number of games and it doesn't seem like it would be beyond the capabilities of the hard-working yet enthusiastic devs here at DDO. And if it is beyond the capabilities of the DDO team, please tell us why.
    Best answer is also the simplest. Because there is no ongoing revenue stream coming from it where as the goal seal hirelings does have a revenue stream. I mean sure I use my free earned DP to "buy" one when I need it but often enough when I want to by that new quest pack or what not I am short a couple hundred DP so I buy the $20.00 pack of points, or more if I need more, and continue on. If I wasn't burning my freebies on the gold seal hires and the occasional cake then I wouldn't be spending that cash to buy the content.


    So in order for a Hire that levels with you to be something that makes sense for them to add to the game they would need to have some sort of guaranteed DP sink in them that at least equaled what they "sell" in Gold Seal hires on a month-in month-out basis. Now can you imagine if you needed to pay say 200 DP every time you wanted to level that hireling? The outrage on the forum would be HUGE and justifiably so, that is why you will never see this happen alas.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    Best answer is also the simplest. Because there is no ongoing revenue stream coming from it[...]

    So in order for a Hire that levels with you to be something that makes sense for them to add to the game they would need to have some sort of guaranteed DP sink in them that at least equaled what they "sell" in Gold Seal hires on a month-in month-out basis. Now can you imagine if you needed to pay say 200 DP every time you wanted to level that hireling? The outrage on the forum would be HUGE and justifiably so, that is why you will never see this happen alas.
    This is already happening to the sentient gems/figrees: When a character ETRs and wants to re-slot those gems/figrees to a ML20 weapon, its sentient toolkit time from the DDO store most likely; unless that character has a cache of sentient tool kits stored up from lots of quest chests.

    There could be a gem in the works that you slot on these permanent hirelings, now they can talk, they can fight, they can buff, they can cast... and finally with that gem,... they can level.

    With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

  20. #20
    Community Member SiliconScout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    2,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    This is already happening to the sentient gems/figrees: When a character ETRs and wants to re-slot those gems/figrees to a ML20 weapon, its sentient toolkit time from the DDO store most likely; unless that character has a cache of sentient tool kits stored up from lots of quest chests.

    There could be a gem in the works that you slot on these permanent hirelings, now they can talk, they can fight, they can buff, they can cast... and finally with that gem,... they can level.
    Perhaps but I honestly don't know any player that routinely slots into a ML 20 items and then re-slots every, or every couple of level ups. Most that I know, who actually care about them, have more than one item with their "good one" at end game and those in the middle couple levels having the best they currently have available with a plan to also have "good ones" down the road. Never mind that in this system the filigrees and items are free where as all of these would have to have a cost in the gold seam permanent leveling hireling world.

    Taking a toon from 1 to 30 you would be doing this a lot more often, if SSG played it "right" you could be having to do it for every level, so 29 times to get to level 30. Even if it was just when you wanted to do it you probably want to do it every 4 to 6 levels at least, so right there that would be 5+ times per life.

    How "useful" would you feel it was to have that Gold seal hire you paid for also have to be paid for each level up.

    In order to recoup their development cost (never mind make up for lost revenue) they would have to price these numbers at just insane amounts. because if it cost "just" $5 for the hire and $1 every level up I don't think you sell enough because most people won't bother, at all, with it. So you are really hunting those who buy it no mater what so it's $24.99 for the hire and $8 or $10 a level up.

    More clever pricing is $50 a pop and $1.50 a level up because then you encourage them to buy 5 or 10 of them to have them around spread out at different level ranges because long run that's "Cheaper" but even at those costs I don't see it being a net gain in revenue.

    Personally I don't think I would spend money on a "leveling" hireling as I don't use them that often, at least not enough to justify more than the cost of a temp on from the store or a freebie plat one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload