Community Member

Default Returning player, character help

Hi guys,

I am a returning player and haven’t played in probably 8-10 years.
    I’m looking at all my characters and all the changes since I have last played and I am a bit lost.
    This is kind of a request for help with how I should continue to level a few characters.
    One of my characters is 6 Monk/2 FvS and I have not got the slightest clue as to what I was trying to accomplish with the build. I’m looking for some guidance on how I should further level this character so I am not hating the journey to cap where I will be able to TR and start over. I’ll give as much info as I can about the character. I’ve searched quite a lot of the forums for anything remotely related to what I think my character was supposed to be but I cannot find anything close.

The character so far is 6 Monk 2 Favored soul.
    Halfling 32 point build. The base stats according to the character screen are as follows.
    Str 10
    Dex 19
    Con 13
    Int 8
    Wis 18
    Cha 8

All stats tooltip appears to reflect a +2 inherent tome bonus.

Any help in directing this character down a suitable path would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Vonly

Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchMethod View Post
    I am a returning player and haven’t played in probably 8-10 years.
    Wow - a LOT has changed since then!

We could fill a thread talking about the changes - Reaper difficulty, Racial Reincarnation (and Iconic?), the various class changes, gear and power creep - but maybe the best bet is to assume you know nothing about the current game, and dive in blind. You'll learn fast, and anything that is the same is gravy.

One of my characters is 6 Monk/2 FvS and I have not got the slightest clue as to what I was trying to accomplish with the build.

Halfling 32 point build. The base stats according to the character screen are as follows.
    Str 10
    Dex 19
    Con 13
    Int 8
    Wis 18
    Cha 8...
    It almost looks like a monk/archer build, maybe? That 19 starting Dex...

(and btw, those stats work out to be more than 36 starting points)

But between a high Dex and Wisdom, I'd think you could cobble something together that could do more than pike its way to 20 without too much trouble.

But nothing is the same since you left - the old enhancement system has been entirely reworked, so that's out the window.

And there's the new Falconry tree, which allows any alt (who has earned/bought the tree) to use Wisdom as their To-Hit/Damage stat. Bonus.

The good news is that characters as old as yours should all find (at least*) 2 freebies added to their inventories (pack or personal bank) - a Lesser Heart of Wood (which all new characters now get for free, once, at creation), and a +20 Heart of Wood (which all characters made before U19 (late Summer '19) got). Of course, best if you can save those for some emergency/special project, but they're there if you need them.

(* Any alt w/ 2+ levels of Druid also got a +3 HoW recently)

I’ve searched quite a lot of the forums for anything remotely related to what I think my character was supposed to be but I cannot find anything close.
    There was a "great forum purge" most of a decade back - if you were on the far side of that, there may not be any surviving posts re your build.

Here's a good spectrum of solid "basic" builds, and included at the bottom of the first post is a link to two "custom" threads w/ more esoteric builds. You could also search in the Monk subforum.

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5759353

Str 10
    Dex 19
    Con 13
    Int 8
    Wis 18
    Cha 8

All stats tooltip appears to reflect a +2 inherent tome bonus.
    What feats did you take? Melee or ranged? Check Lockania on marketplace if you have the free feat change token available.

I recommend going melee, all further levels as monk, take twf feats (applies to monk even with handwraps) and stunning fist, use shintao tree and handwraps. From lv2 fvs the war soul tree offers divine will (applies half wisdom bonus as insightful deadly and insightful tactical DC for some sp), and haste boost on tier2. This two can pump up your melee efficiency.

If you are specced for ranged, you could try going with shuriken (also as monk, take 10 thousand stars feat), and ninja tree. Make sure u increase dex as much as possible and take precise shot to be able to take improved precise shot on lv15 (requires BAB 11).

Another option is to splash a third class, like ranger (free feats, option to arcane archery) or fighter (can be centered with any melee weapon using tier5 kensai)...
    + Cannith +
    + Csodaszarvas +
    + MCMLXXXVI + Ezredes + Giliszta + Halacska +

Quote Originally Posted by RAFAR View Post
    What feats did you take? Melee or ranged?
    Easiest way to check feats: https://ddowiki.com/page/Fred#Tips:

(Esp. true w/ older characters, where some "old" feats have been renamed and no longer show on the Character sheet. They won't show w/ Fred either, but you won't hunt for something that isn't there.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Wow - a LOT has changed since then!
    I have noticed! My main just TR'd into his third life the other day So I can can re acquaint myself with all of the leveling non epic content. Picking up on the changes, slowly, but surely.

It almost looks like a monk/archer build, maybe? That 19 starting Dex...

(and btw, those stats work out to be more than 36 starting points)
    I feel like I stacked that kind of Dex for AC maybe, The character was running wraps and light path with no bows in sight. But I did find it odd that all my gear was broken when I logged in and half of my item slots were empty and not in inv. As to the base stats, that was just what I see and I am not sure if it is factoring level ups into that number or what. It is for sure a champion 32 pointer via the character screen.

But between a high Dex and Wisdom, I'd think you could cobble something together that could do more than pike its way to 20 without too much trouble.
    This is what I am hoping for! I am glad there is a chance lol

The good news is that characters as old as yours should all find (at least*) 2 freebies added to their inventories (pack or personal bank) - a Lesser Heart of Wood (which all new characters now get for free, once, at creation), and a +20 Heart of Wood (which all characters made before U19
    I found them and that answered that question for me

What feats did you take? Melee or ranged? Check Lockania on marketplace if you have the free feat change token available.
    lvl 1 - Follower of the soveriegn host & Luck of heroes
    lvl 3 - Weapon Finess & TwF
    lvl 4 - Toughness
    lvl 5 - Fists of Light
    lvl 6 - Stunning fists
    lvl 8 - Dodge

This is all I can see through Fred. I am guessing the missing levels are pre-reqs or nothing was granted free. I have yet to do the dragonmark quest on this character so It is available after iirc.

I recommend going melee
    This is what I will go for.

If you are specced for ranged
    Just TR'd my main into AA so I'll avoid that for now.

Another option is to splash a third class, like ranger (free feats, option to arcane archery) or fighter (can be centered with any melee weapon using tier5 kensai)...
    I like the sounds of this but how big a splash I do not know ha!
    Last edited by ClutchMethod; 06-26-2019 at 09:12 PM.

lvl 1 - Follower of the soveriegn host & Luck of heroes
    lvl 3 - Weapon Finess & TwF
    lvl 4 - Toughness
    lvl 5 - Fists of Light
    lvl 6 - Stunning fists
    lvl 8 - Dodge

This is all I can see through Fred. I am guessing the missing levels are pre-reqs or nothing was granted free. I have yet to do the dragonmark quest on this character so It is available after iirc.
    The follower of sovereign host was a bonus feat as all divine classes need to pick their deity at lv1. U won't use this but can't pick a useful one anyway.

Luck of heroes: in ddo, this pnp-originated feat is a waste, saving throws can increase by items and enhancements so high, it just doesn't make a difference - other than using up a precious feat slot.

Toughness: in the old enhancement system, this was the prerequisite for extra max hp enhancements, but not anymore. Now, as it only gives a small amount of HP, it's considered useless and a waste of a feat slot. Max hp should be obtained by equipment (constitution / false life / vitality), enhancements and past lives.

Weapon finesse can be circumvented by certain enhancements, check your ninja spy 1st and 3rd core (bottom row). Some other classes might need this, but not monks. I recommend changing it for Precision.

The rest of the feats are okay for now.

Fists of light - it's an active feat, so if u haven't already, put it on your quickbar and use it in every fight to get heals on-hit and after every 3rd use, the finishing move (Healing Ki) will also be an aoe party heal. Important note: devotion spell power items increase the effectiveness of this.

I recommend staying with monk, as a returning player, you already have a lot of new things to learn, no need to complicate this character further (for now, at least :P)

If you continue as melee monk with handwraps, here's some advice:

Skills:
    Put 1 into tumble if u haven't already, the rest into
    - concentration
    - jump
    - spot

Feats:
    On lv9 you will have 6 BAB, take Improved TWF.
    By lv12 BAB will be 8 so take Improved Critical: Bludgeoning.
    For the lv15 feat, take Mobility (stacks with Dodge), or if u don't swap weapon finesse for Precision, take that instead.
    Greater TWF requires BAB 11 which you will get on lv16 so this feat will be only available for lv18.

Enhancements:
    Make sure to spend 11 AP for lv6 Ninja spy core Shadow Veil, a very nice defensive selfbuff. Spend the rest of your ap into shintao tree, you should have 30 points spent by lv12 to be able to get tier 5 enhancements. After you have all t5 you need, go into War Soul for divine will and haste boost, then spend the rest into ninja spy for more sneak attack damage and other goodies.

Items: get some handwraps with Holy effect (damages anything non-good, also breaks /good DR), also look for +fortification, +constitution, +wisdom, +dexterity, +deadly, +false life, +concentration +resistance, +stunning, +devotion, +strength (halflings with 10 str can carry a stack of pencils without getting encumbered, with some more strength they may even lift their notebook, too)

And, most importantly, stay centered & have fun ^^
    + Cannith +
    + Csodaszarvas +
    + MCMLXXXVI + Ezredes + Giliszta + Halacska +

You may want to use a Character Planner to map out your build, so you have a clear blueprint of where you're going, level by level. If so, here's a good one:

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5534437

It comes w/ 2 other programs, a Cannith Crafting planner and a "Quest Tracker" (Compendium). User written, but all good.

Community Member

Thank you for the guidance guys! That character planner and a sense of direction now, I think I have the plan worked out for now.

Thumbs up

If you want, that character planner has an "export" function (under "File/Export/to Forums") - just copy/paste it here if you want detailed commentary on (any) specifics.

GL!