Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burn Out

Community Member

Default Burn Out

How do the old timers combat burnout with game? Ive tr'd around 10 times in the last month or so and with my newest life Ive just sorta lost interest. Would play an alt but only my main has full tomes and tomes of learning. Hard to go back to the struggle of stats to reach certain feats etc. From personal experience reaper on 1st lifers and no extras hurts. Your pointless to the group. Your relegated to piking because if you try to stay with group ..your dead. Im at that point where after way to many trs in my 6 or so years of playing im lost on the reason why I keep tring. Its not fun. The steep penalty for tring is just a bad idea. 10 to 20 is just a slog fest of boredom if you solo 95% of the time. I use to love going to e-star at 16 from my years as a kid reading forgotten realms series, now... I look at that golden key like its a viper. Id hoped Sharn would breathe more life into the game and it did...for all of a week. So, back to my original question, sorry about the ramble, what do you do to keep the game fresh and exciting?

Quote Originally Posted by iPuffinstuff View Post
    How do the old timers combat burnout with game? Ive tr'd around 10 times in the last month or so and with my newest life Ive just sorta lost interest. Would play an alt but only my main has full tomes and tomes of learning. Hard to go back to the struggle of stats to reach certain feats etc. From personal experience reaper on 1st lifers and no extras hurts. Your pointless to the group. Your relegated to piking because if you try to stay with group ..your dead. Im at that point where after way to many trs in my 6 or so years of playing im lost on the reason why I keep tring. Its not fun. The steep penalty for tring is just a bad idea. 10 to 20 is just a slog fest of boredom if you solo 95% of the time. I use to love going to e-star at 16 from my years as a kid reading forgotten realms series, now... I look at that golden key like its a viper. Id hoped Sharn would breathe more life into the game and it did...for all of a week. So, back to my original question, sorry about the ramble, what do you do to keep the game fresh and exciting?
    I don't overdo it and if I don't have fun anymore I stop playing and do something else ... It is a game not a job. After a while the urge to sniff around comes back.
    And I suggest to play an alt with nothing and maybe something comepltely different as your main. It will change the way and pace of the game. And it will be good to come back to your main.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord Server: https://discord.gg/AK7RpVC | Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

Community Member IlmerSilverhilt's Avatar

Im staying on cap atm with my "main" characters. Eagerly awaiting new Sharn Raid. I had been on 1-20 racials for awhile so the stop at cap is a nice change of pace and an opportunity to gear up a little with new items. So far I earned 3 reaper points on my Bard! You could roll up a PDK and buff the party with For Cormyr! buff So much fun!
    Ilmer Silverhilt, 36pt Elf Fighter12/Monk6/Paladin2. The Kighter
    Mesmerita d'Jorasco, 36pt PDK Bard20. Can't talk, TR'ing!
    Acrobot, 36pt Bladeforged Banker/Puppet/Guildeader
    The Adventure Pack(200), Cannith. Join us!

Livestreaming on Twitch.tv/mesmerita

Community Member

Personally, I empty my auctions and mail and play something else for a few months. It's a bit fresher when you get back. Or mix in a different game on a weekly basis. I've found Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2 to compliment DDO nicely, they're challenging enough to avoid boredom and just different enough to be "the same thing but completely different"

I find that if I'm taking a break, making a note on my calendar stating that I emptied mail and auctions is helpful. Otherwise when I consider returning the thought that I might have had my stuff confiscated because of some idiotic and outdated "make them keep logging in" mechanic angers me and is a strong disincentive to return.

Be warned, though, while playing another game can remind you what DDO does well, it can also remind you how poorly they do so many things. Overall I find it a net positive, but many of my friends haven't.
    I am profoundly disappointed with the current state and direction of DDO, and my purchasing habits reflect this. A drastic improvement in quality of life, transparency, and honest communication would improve my spending. Promises and "more squeeze" will not.

Yes, 10 TR's in a month will really do that to you. That's about maximum pace without TR timer bypasses.

I am guessing that to keep up that pace you are doing pretty much the same, high xp per minute quests each time (shadow crypt, Von 3, Litany EHN). Probably running with xp pots and just getting through things as quickly as possible on reaper 1.

I would suggest changing things about. Maybe try:

Doing the crappy (excuse my French) quests. The ones not worth 5K/ minute. All the ones you normally skip. Catacombs, Phiarlan Chain, invaders, Mindsunder chain) etc

Try a reaper level that you find too hard to just blast through, so you are going to have to be on your game and use thought out tactics.

Do a solo life on a batman build with lots of different skills so that you can (for example) do all the optionals in Party Crashers

Do a life where the objective is not just getting to the end so you can TR, but to make each quest as new as possible and as challenging as you can reasonably complete. Try to enjoy the journey not just the - 'I've got another pastlife - only another 37 to go and I'm finished'

I have a bunch of alts across multiple levels & builds, which helps quite a bit.

While I'll go on daily for the dice rolls & (when I remember) the free challenge token, I'll also sometimes just do something else, either TV (including Netflix, Amazon, DVDs) or an alternative game, maybe a new release, maybe something I'm in the mood to replay.

But then, I also typically only get 3 or 4 hours on a weekday & not all that much more on a weekend.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Find another game to play for a while. This isn't the type of game that you cant leave for a few months or years and be so far behind you wont catch up.

So, back to my original question, sorry about the ramble, what do you do to keep the game fresh and exciting?
    Take a break when you stop enjoying playing.

I have had 2 long breaks since 2006, both over a year.

Community Member

Yeah you hit the nail on the head there - the severe penalties for playing alts makes it really hard to stay in the game and still change things up. Like others have said, go play something else to mix it up.

DDO is basically like being in an open relationship...you can go play around with other MMOs, its not jealous, it knows you'll come back after you had your fun...

That being said, the way I do it is to have one main that I put most of my time in. It helps that Inqui is basically exactly what I always hoped Arti would be, so I'm finally able to be effective in the playstyle I liked as a do-everything soloist. Then I have a couple alts, with totally different playstyles, built for specific things, and most importantly designed to work with minimal long-term investment (PLs, tomes, etc.):

- I have a PDK bard/fig/rog swashbuckler that stays at cap (occasional ETR)...her job is to always be at cap to run anything I might need (eg events), to run really fast for farming stuff, to be an option for melee playstyle, and to let me build up a set of 29+ gear and make use of it. Never take her into anything above EH, so the lack of PLs, Reaper points, etc. is minimally noticed. She also benefits from being really centered around a lot of synergistic feats, which makes her effective as an early-lifer.

- I have heroic Warlock...right now he's ES Swash, but I might switch him out next life for a straight blaster. His job is to farm favor for DDO Points He provides a caster-like playstyle (started him out Chain till I realized Chain sucks past HN and I need him to get through HE cleanly). And to play through Heroic when my other chars are both in Epic. He does TR, but only to reset favor for the next grind. Since Warlock is already OP in heroic, and really only needs a few pieces of gear, he's not suffering for lack of PLs.

There's a few interesting builds I'd like to try...VKF EK Force wiz...Aasi Whirlwind monk...but then I look at what they need and realize they'll take way too much time and effort before they start playing smooth enough to be fun. Maybe I'll get around to them eventually as I HTR my main.
    Last edited by droid327; 06-26-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Community Member

I am thinking about revisiting my characters on Wayfinder.

I'd mirror some of the other comments:

1) Don't grind any aspect of progression too hard. I can't serial TR either. It gets too monotonous. I'd do a heroic/racial, then switch to some epic stuff, then sit at cap and do some raiding, reaper XP farming and gear grinding. By mixing up which aspect of the game you are interacting with, you enjoy the challenges and excitement they bring and switch it up when it begins to feel stale.

2) To make the above easier, I have alts. I keep at least one at cap, one in epics, and one in heroics. That way I can also "go with the flow" of what my guildies are doing that day or what interesting LFM's are up when I log in.

3) Don't play DDO exclusively or excessively. I'm still enjoying Pathfinder: Kingmaker some as well as a few other games. I spend the majority of my gaming time on DDO, but mixing in other games or other activities a few days a week does a lot to keep DDO fresh and keep me. I'm always itching to get in game and try some things out or make progress. Everything has diminishing returns, though. When you feel like your energy for DDO is waning a bit, switch things up.

That's what I do.
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer in Loreseekers and Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Community Member

I need 1 dwarf life to finish my triple everything, and I've been feeling it too. Take breaks when you need it.

I have a regular duo which helps vs a true solo play all the time. My son is playing DDO now on my alt account so I run a few things I wouldn't normally run both characters/builds and quests. He won't have fun with my main or if I'm on a good ranged, caster, or fast movement build, I have to at least let stuff live long enough for him to get in and swing at it.

I'm still happy to go to Estar at 16 or 15, it means I don't have to go to the vale. We've been doing the last few lives a level or 2 under base level just to skip to the higher exp quests sooner. Three barrel starting at 4, von3 at 7 or 8, GH at 12... our goal is to turn in the estar sagas and not waste any of that exp, if you have to mop up 50k with a sane asylum and some wilderness that's much better than wasting 50k of the saga. The level makes a bigger difference than people realize I think, after running pretty much nothing but base level since reaper came out, doing a quest at BB level feels like cake.

You can always build in your own fun, but most of those things will slow down your progression which is where the conflict comes in. Things like: running lower xp/min content, building in more challenge, completing everything can be fun but it slows down your tr. Before reaper we did a no AP spent first life character... if you want a challenge that's it. Reaper added a way to scale challenge, but it's still at odds with progression. Most people run R1 until running R2 is no slower than R1 or until they have all the past lives and are focusing on rxp.

There is no general solution, you just have to do what works for you.

Lots of legal drugs, complain on the forum, real life (what is that disk in the sky? It burns, burns!!!!), Familly, games from a different genre(platformers, metroidvania, flight sims, rts, rpg's shooters like doom 2016 and the upcomming doom eternal), movies, friends, work, traveling abroad, etc.

Joking asside, i avoid burn out by doing other things or playing ddo in a different manner.
    I have been online in ddo for 12-13+ years on a daily basis, missing a grand total of 2 weeks, however, some days i just check the mail and roll the daily dice.
    I zerged the best gear for my 3 mains in the first week and the mars were completed in the second week.
    I deceided to skip the raids in this pack, the quest loot didn't look complete, i expect the same from the raid gear. More important, my trust in the game company is gone. It took so long to get my shards and the next month it is useless thanks to sharns saves.
    Once burned.....
    My toons are currently just waiting for the new epic lives and the ED rework..... So playing the waiting game atm
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Stop playing, do something else. Sometimes for a week, sometimes for a month, sometimes for a year.

Now that I think about it, I'm probably not the best example, haha.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

here is what I do and what I avoid:
    1) I avoid trying to build massive personal power. That is an empty ego thing, unrewarding. If your goal is to build up power to aid other players, that is nice but then THEY feel like useless pikers
    2) I aim for personal goals that are fun and challenging. What R10 quests can I stealth given all the devs bave done to undermine that playstyle? One goal I have is developing a parked toon at level 4. Level 4 will be her endgame with only two past lives and one epic PL. This toon will help guildies and new players.
    3) Participate in events like Aelonwy’s fashion show. The game needs more stuff like it.
    4) Create bizarre rewarding challenges that fit your personality too. I did a heroic nude run. It got rough but was really fun in the lower levels. Well this is the same as #1
    5) Everytime you play, ask yourself how you are connecting and assisting your fellow RL humans. You can even do this solo like posting cheap stuff on the AH or gifting some new player some plat. That is insanely rewarding. Developing personal power is akin to casino addiction and serviced by microtransactions; it is insatiable. Don’t bother.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4 soon)

Community Member

I'm doing a racial tr grind right now, but using different builds as opposed to the same build. Each life right now has had similar periods.. 3bc for instance is a must.. the XP is just too good, vale, not just for the XP , but I just like the vale quests. One life I did all the IQ quests (except the demon one), some lives I do ES chains, other lives I never go there. Some lives I enjoy more than others!

Also, playing ddo is entertainment. I do things with other people, in real life. When other things aren't going on, I play DDO or something. I don't watch much TV or sports, and even cut the cable (that saved me over $100/month!). If all I ever did was DDO, and focused on power gaming it, I'm sure I'd be bored and long gone.

I only play if it's fun. That means, fun to do the thing I'm doing right now, not grinding something tedious in the hope of some promised future fun. Mostly I do static groups, hanging out with people I like who are playing at the same pace as me.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    Stop playing, do something else. Sometimes for a week, sometimes for a month, sometimes for a year.
    That's what I'd suggest, too.

Plus : do take a look at the environment ! Do read the dialogs ! Really think about your dialog choices !

And in general : Slow down.

And if there's something better out there in your environment : Don't hesitate going out visiting a feast or an exhibition or something like that !
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 06-26-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

I stopped grinding for things if the grind wasn't fun. Yeah, I don't have the uberist-ist gear - but if I hated getting it, why get it when I can have fun doing other things I do enjoy?

If you don't like a quest - don't run it. There are whole swaths of the game I pretend doesn't exist. I simply don't enjoy the content, and hate running it. So I don't. XP-Per-Minute is a really depressing way to approach the game, imho. This game is chock full of really great quests. Find the ones you enjoy for reasons beyond XPPM.

I don't TR. This falls under the "stopping the grind" thing above. I don't enjoy TRing, so I don't. If I want to play something new, I just do. Yeah, I miss out on a bit of the powercurve, but not enough for me to ever feel bad about it.

I don't play the game like it's a job. I play for a little bit, then do something else - even if it's multiple times a day.

I take total-stop breaks when I need to. I come back only when I feel the pull become irresistible. The longest break was about five months last year. Shortest was a week or so.

Play the game in the manner that best maximizes your enjoyment of it. Screw the rest.

This is what works for me. Your mileage will vary for sure.
    Last edited by Memnir; 06-26-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by lronEnema View Post
    Yes, 10 TR's in a month will really do that to you. That's about maximum pace without TR timer bypasses.

I am guessing that to keep up that pace you are doing pretty much the same, high xp per minute quests each time (shadow crypt, Von 3, Litany EHN). Probably running with xp pots and just getting through things as quickly as possible on reaper 1.

I would suggest changing things about. Maybe try:

Doing the crappy (excuse my French) quests. The ones not worth 5K/ minute. All the ones you normally skip. Catacombs, Phiarlan Chain, invaders, Mindsunder chain) etc

Try a reaper level that you find too hard to just blast through, so you are going to have to be on your game and use thought out tactics.

Do a solo life on a batman build with lots of different skills so that you can (for example) do all the optionals in Party Crashers

Do a life where the objective is not just getting to the end so you can TR, but to make each quest as new as possible and as challenging as you can reasonably complete. Try to enjoy the journey not just the - 'I've got another pastlife - only another 37 to go and I'm finished'
    Almost all of these suggestions I have done, and they work for me. Currently my TR group is plowing through racials. To ward of monotony and burnout, we've been pushing reaper skulls for heroics, running stuff R5+. We try to find a new quest each life to run on R10, and we've been having a great time as a result.

Now, that's not to say you'll experience the same. Not everyone enjoys reaper. I've also done a life batman build and tried to solo as many quests as possible. That was also fun. Try one of these ideas that interests you.
    Epicsoul and Favoritesoul of Orien

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast