Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mobs walking through me in a fight - fix it.

Hello SSG,
    I am really really really tired of mobs walking through me just the moment I want to stun them or I attenpt a different special hit. How is this not fixed yet? It is around for so long now. It screws with the whole melee system. If a mob stands in front/close of/to me, he shouldn't be able to just make another step and stand on/in me or behind me. Come to think of it, it screws with touch attacks from casters, too. And even non-touch spells. It is not rare that my cleric casts sunbeam or sunbolt on a very close standing mob and it just vanishes into the air because the mob did that one extra step.

Why is this not a high priority to fix?
    Am I the only one who could smash the keyboard every time an attack goes poof because the coding is stupid? Scratch that, rhetorical question.

A not so cheery Titus.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Isn't there an enhancement that allows a Rogue to do the same ? With tumbling or what was that ?
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TitusOvid View Post
    Am I the only one who could smash the keyboard every time an attack goes poof because the coding is stupid?
    If it didn't go on cooldown I'd be a lot more ok with it, but casting a spell as you jump over a mob and having the entire thing vanish (and go on CD) is super annoying.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

it is very annoying i cant count how many fireballs went up in the air because of this.

please fix
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

This would be among my top 5 QoL fixes that could be done.
    Now, can it be done is the bigger question...
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

Let me go even further...

I get that mobs cant have collision with players (like we do with them) because we could screw up pathing. But they totally cheese the targeting system with their footwork. Its not just a "L2P" situation because client delay means even if you time it properly, you can still miss because of range or angle because the monster wasnt "really there" from the server's POV. Especially if you're trying to land multiple debuff/CC attacks in sequence on a boss.

But its also super annoying as a ranged player when mobs can just stand slightly to my side and completely avoid my attacks. Its like player characters dont have spines that can rotate above the hips.

"Melee range" should extend in a 180 degree forward arc. We can still hit things that are slightly to the side. Ranged attack's cone should also have two "wings" that extend out to 180 degrees within Point Blank distance, because we can shoot things that are just over to the side too. The continual stutter-step backwards to keep mobs in front of you is not really good design.

Then mobs' combat AI should be amended to never try to move forward while in melee range, and fix certain special attacks like Ogres that moves their model forward, because yeah that's also cheesy too. I get where trying to circle around is a good move, especially fighting in packs, but I really doubt a mindless club-wielding skeleton is really skilled enough to try and make a passe attack to get behind me. Maybe only certain Swashbuckler-type monsters could have that move.

I am really really really tired of mobs walking through me ...
    How is this not fixed yet? It is around for so long now.
    Am I the only one who could smash the keyboard every time an attack goes poof b...
    Well, I can't say I am going to smash my keyboard anytime soon, but yeah it is hella annoying when mobs pass through you like they are incorporeal.
    Even more annoying is that it has never been fixed since... forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    You need to change the name of "Everything is Nothing" to something else like "Up to 4 Things are Nothing."
    Doesn't sound as fun, does it? That's because it isn't and THAT'S what matters. So much for making the game more "fun."

This was something that got changed during the "physics upgrades" many years ago. I loathe it, especially on spell casters where if I'm not constantly backpedaling from mobs I get "you are not facing" because the mob is inside my space with me. At my house we refer to it as "skelping" in reference to the movie High Spirits.

Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

I am really really really tired of mobs walking through me
    This little clip might cheer you up.

Oh, I once did a university paper on Chicago: "Dance choreography in contemporary Hollywood Movies" or something like that.

I am all for better AI of the mobs. But you can't compensate a bad AI with stupid movements like this. Forgewraith's are annoying, too. They are like incarnated Kobolds on Coke. But I digress.
    May we have at least an official answer, if this is fixable and how high it is on the priority list, if it is at all?!

Cheers,
    Titus.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Let me go even further...

I get that mobs cant have collision with players (like we do with them) because we could screw up pathing. But they totally cheese the targeting system with their footwork. Its not just a "L2P" situation because client delay means even if you time it properly, you can still miss because of range or angle because the monster wasnt "really there" from the server's POV. Especially if you're trying to land multiple debuff/CC attacks in sequence on a boss.

But its also super annoying as a ranged player when mobs can just stand slightly to my side and completely avoid my attacks. Its like player characters dont have spines that can rotate above the hips.

"Melee range" should extend in a 180 degree forward arc. We can still hit things that are slightly to the side. Ranged attack's cone should also have two "wings" that extend out to 180 degrees within Point Blank distance, because we can shoot things that are just over to the side too. The continual stutter-step backwards to keep mobs in front of you is not really good design.

Then mobs' combat AI should be amended to never try to move forward while in melee range, and fix certain special attacks like Ogres that moves their model forward, because yeah that's also cheesy too. I get where trying to circle around is a good move, especially fighting in packs, but I really doubt a mindless club-wielding skeleton is really skilled enough to try and make a passe attack to get behind me. Maybe only certain Swashbuckler-type monsters could have that move.
    This is why some melees use cleave like attacks, especially in lag heavy quests.
    Or they start soloing a lot, it mitagates the problem somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    This is why some melees use cleave like attacks, especially in lag heavy quests.
    Or they start soloing a lot, it mitagates the problem somewhat.
    I'm not sure about that. In already buggy quests like Delirium, my lvl 27 acrobat-assassin whiffs at almost everything while on a simple bookshelf farming run. On heroic casual.
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

Quote Originally Posted by LazarusPossum View Post
    I'm not sure about that. In already buggy quests like Delirium, my lvl 27 acrobat-assassin whiffs at almost everything while on a simple bookshelf farming run. On heroic casual.
    I don't think i understood what you meant,
    What are you not sure about? I know melees who use cleave like attacks to compensate for the lag and the difference in the mob location on the server and it's visual representation on the users end.

Your thief acrobat? Wich means what? Is it a low bonus to hit(i hope not on a lv 27 toon in heroic casual), normal lag? Etc?
    What mobs are you missing on? Is it a connection issue? Is it your pc?

What is a bookshelf farming run?
    Last edited by lyrecono; 06-25-2019 at 01:23 AM.
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Community Member

This happens to me a lot on my casters on anything not aoe really. FoD, ruin, etc., all fizzle if they sideswipe you. Fireballs and such aren't really a problem though, since I don't play with autotarget, makes it much easier to hit. I can tab if they're far and if they're surrounding me, just aim at the ground.
    My main Orien Bozos - Mozenrath, Messam, Yashamaru, Quackerjack, Koganei

I really hate the "you are not facing" and its right in front of you!
    but what is worst of that... is the "out of range" even if you are targeting yourself. (some isntances when i try to cast a Mass Hold Monster, and some situation when you try to cast a "Evard's Black Tentacles")

I have a feeling that some of these "stealth changes" are made to the physics in the game to address lag. This type of physics change is something I notice the difference on quite a bit, because it was one of the main draws in playing DDO in its early days. A while back line-of-sighting after the mob cast or shot at you was far more successful, but the past few years I find that if it cast or shot it still hits even if I move around a corner. This more recent addition of mobs walking right through characters might clean up the physics checks a bit, but it invalidates specific strategies that can be used.

Yea, it's annoying as all hell on a melee, especially if fighting hyperactive mobs like kobolds. Don't stand on top of me, dangit!!
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    I don't think i understood what you meant,
    What are you not sure about? I know melees who use cleave like attacks to compensate for the lag and the difference in the mob location on the server and it's visual representation on the users end.

Your thief acrobat? Wich means what? Is it a low bonus to hit(i hope not on a lv 27 toon in heroic casual), normal lag? Etc?
    What mobs are you missing on? Is it a connection issue? Is it your pc?

What is a bookshelf farming run?
    Acrobat enhancement tree, especially when paired with THF uses cleave-like attacks and a long reach with quarterstaves. I've been playing for over ten years, and I'm aware of my character's reach, and that I have minimal lag. In Delirium, the first part is mostly Thaarak Hounds, with an adequate "to hit"' circle. Yet they act like mobs the OP describes. Sliding/shifting that seems like lag, but doesn't occur with the young beholders and Xorian renders. So, like the OP, I think I can assume it's patterning.

On a farming run, bookshelves provide book/document collectables like runic parchments or Silver Flame Hymnals. For someone who's been playing this long, and apparently versed in the mechanics of the game, it sure feels like you're patronizing me.
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

We ran slavelords last night and every one of the bosses stepped through me. It was such a satisfying moment over and over ...
    I go play my cleric and destruct everything that runs around.
    This sucks the fun out of melee play at the moment for me.

I guess it is too much to ask for an official response? I think I did it already anyway ... somewhere ... someplace.

Hello SSG,
    I am really really really tired of mobs walking through me just the moment I want to stun them or I attenpt a different special hit. How is this not fixed yet? It is around for so long now. It screws with the whole melee system. If a mob stands in front/close of/to me, he shouldn't be able to just make another step and stand on/in me or behind me. Come to think of it, it screws with touch attacks from casters, too. And even non-touch spells. It is not rare that my cleric casts sunbeam or sunbolt on a very close standing mob and it just vanishes into the air because the mob did that one extra step.

Why is this not a high priority to fix?
    Am I the only one who could smash the keyboard every time an attack goes poof because the coding is stupid? Scratch that, rhetorical question.

A not so cheery Titus.
    It's the ones who stand INSIDE you that frustrates me. Literally occupying the same space as you.
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast