Default Favorite ETR farming build?

Got a personal "go to" favorite for farming ETRs? What is it and why do you like it?

My current favorite is pretty much "Inquisitive", which more or less describes at least 53 AP (41 Inq 12 Harper). I like dropping 23 after that into VKF for Drain Immunity, 10% doubleshot, and the various other nice features enroute. Last bit goes wherever. If taking some rogue as a base, AP in mechanic instead of Harper works, too.

Why? Fantastic DPS at every single level, free "Nothing Is Hidden / Watchful Eye", relatively simple gearing, and it's great for 1st life ED farming, too (likes ranged-friendly EDs, but doesn't require them). The only thing about Inquisitive that I wish I had but lack is run speed. I miss the incredible run and sneak speed of my shuriken thrower, but shuriken is at best only mediocre dps for 80% of an ETR (pre-29) and worthless without whirling wrists (ie. definitely NOT 1st-life friendly).

My second favorite would be an ES/VKF warlock, though only because it can solo literally anything at EE on a first life. It's DPS isn't nearly as nice and so isn't as much fun in a group.

BTW, why I am asking? Well, I tried making a bard shouter for DPS. It's uh .. incapable of DPS -- roughly 1/5th the DPS of Inquisitive as measured by kill-time on R1 Impossible Demands. I'll probably do Inquisitive for it on it's 2nd life, but was curious what others find fun and successful for ETR'ing.

Its hard to keep up with the premium trees. XD.

Pure sorcerer? Easy to gear up (capstone = only 1 element required), very powerful aoe, good CC, many destinies offer charisma stat or some useful sla-s. If farming en/eh, even mediocre equipment can provide the necessary spell DCs.
    My fav is fire spec, because it has no fire spells on lv6 so he can take undeath to death, circle of death and mass suggestion. Mass hold + meteor / dbf / fireball / fireball sla. Solid fog + ice storm combo helps a lot, too.
    Spare AP into acid tree just for Acid Well - especially if tiefling with t4 infernal sovereign acid.
    Or air tree for electric loop sla and knockdown immunity.
    + Cannith +
    + Csodaszarvas +
    + MCMLXXXVI + Ezredes + Giliszta + Halacska +

It kinda boils down to this:

A) A class/build that is great without EDs at all
    B) A class/build that is easy to tweak to synergize with any ED.

Ideally C) A+B

1) Pure monk - Stunning Fist and Whirlwind strike never gets old... only concern is self healing maybe at higher levels if you are new to the game.

2) Pure Warlock TS with cone - once you learn it and get the gear its almost unstoppable. Works well with any race.

3) Arti repeater build - durable, flexible and good change of pace when you need a break from Warlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm
    Makes me think that other post was your sock account.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    Incorrect. Post reported.

All great suggestions, though for my part, I'd tack at least one rogue or artificer level on to whatever it is for trapping and ideally also use an elf race for NIH if not using inquisitive.

Sorcerer is one I've been wanting to try, but have doubts and concerns over. My shouter bard was amazing in heroic, but so abysmally bad in epics that I have serious worries about SP efficiency versus DPS for anything that relies on SP for DPS. Basically, if it can't solo something as long as Slave Lords, I don't really consider it viable. I'd also worry it can't run in any ED except Magister due to the importance of caster levels to scale up blasting DPS in epic levels.

Can Sorc really work in epics without an ED? Can it solo a long quest on EE/R1 or does it run out of SP after 3 fights? I know a sorc with E/PLs can do EE/R1 solo (seen it), but what about 1st life without twists, PLs, or while earning basic tiers in EDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjond View Post
    Sorcerer is one I've been wanting to try, but have doubts and concerns over. My shouter bard was amazing in heroic, but so abysmally bad in epics that I have serious worries about SP efficiency versus DPS for anything that relies on SP for DPS. Basically, if it can't solo something as long as Slave Lords, I don't really consider it viable. I'd also worry it can't run in any ED except Magister due to the importance of caster levels to scale up blasting DPS in epic levels.

Can Sorc really work in epics without an ED? Can it solo a long quest on EE/R1 or does it run out of SP after 3 fights? I know a sorc with E/PLs can do EE/R1 solo (seen it), but what about 1st life without twists, PLs, or while earning basic tiers in EDs?
    1st life, no twists, any destiny and want to solo r1? Heh. I wonder which build can do that.

I've played a pure tiefling sorc through epics recently, went in EA (+3 dc and +6 cha) with +3 enchant dc twist. No spell pen feats but had all past lives for that. Had no problems on r1. Disco and mass hold were quite reliable until 26-27, then mobs started to save more often. (still mostly in heroic gear btw, charisma and spell pen was crafted for lv23)

Spell points were never a problem, thanks to soul drops and some timing of shrines. Most aoe fights ended in 1 mass hold and 2-3 meteor/dbf kombos. With about ~5-800 spell power and 70%+ crit, tiefling really pumps fire spells up.

About caster levels... sorc gets +7 caster level and max caster level for the specced element, this caps most spells by lv19 already, so arcane destiny +cl only increases spell pen and buff duration. Still, enemies with evasion and/or high spell resistance can be harder to defeat. Wall of fire and scorching ray seemed too weak for epics with only 2-400 dmg / hit. At least, compared to the 1,5-2k dbf and 3-4k meteor crits. Fod, circle and banshee were unreliable without focusing on necromancy.

Comparing sorc to 18/x rogue crossbow inquisitive build I tried after, I can say that sorcerer annihilated mobs faster, but had a few rough, DC-related situations with certain mobs.
    Killing stuff with crossbow was slower due to lower dps and aoe being just a line, but it had the advantage of more reliable cc (no save), longer range and no sp cost for damage.

Tip: try a lv20 artificer with feats taken for both ranged and spellcasting, to have the option for either inquisitive+battle engineer or arcanotech+harper combos. If you can do quests on the electric caster, you can imagine what a sorc can do. If you don't have resources for increasing DC high enough, it won't work though.

Or just give up making exciting build plans and use the almighty blaster warlock which is designed to solo anything.
    Last edited by RAFAR; 06-26-2019 at 01:57 AM.
    + Cannith +
    + Csodaszarvas +
    + MCMLXXXVI + Ezredes + Giliszta + Halacska +

Quote Originally Posted by RAFAR View Post
    1st life, no twists, any destiny and want to solo r1? Heh. I wonder which build can do that.
    Inquisitive can do it, though not ALL quests and the slow-down often isn't worthwhile versus running EE. Lots of ranged damage can take it out; it lives by kiting. Minor issue of no nice sentient weapons available for leveling. Epic Storm exists, but it's a 60 day wait to get one (20th raid drop + other ultra rare drops). If you've not played one, imagine a repeater build with much higher DPS and built-in NIH. Same play-style as any other ranged, though.

The VKF/Warlock build I posted can do it, too, though it has issues starting around L26 that continue until you have and can wear a full set of L29 gear and while it's not ED-locked it has some high-cost (to a 1st lifer) twists that make a huge difference (like consecration).

I'll likely either do Inquisitive or an 18/2 sorc/rogue (for trapping & evasion).