Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Inq build - GxB during NBH or not?

I am curious what those who have tried it think about using a GxB (Volley) during NHB on an Inquisitive build vs using HxB all the time.

Obviously the ap will be spent differently on the two builds.
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

Community Member

Yeah its optimal, if you want to go through the work to maximize your DPS.

You dont really spend your AP much differently, though, since the main things that are GXB-specific are in Mechanic T5, and you cant take those anyway if you have NHB.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Yeah its optimal, if you want to go through the work to maximize your DPS.

You dont really spend your AP much differently, though, since the main things that are GXB-specific are in Mechanic T5, and you cant take those anyway if you have NHB.
    Thanks. I was mostly thinking about the 5th mech core Expert Building for +2 crit mult on the GXB meaning 31 points in mech rather than fewer. That seems like a pretty good value for money if using the GxB for burst damage. Obviously this also means 18 rogue levels which may or may not be optimal.
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

Has there been confirmation that GXB working with NHB is WAI?

Fairly sure it currently specifies Light or Heavy XB
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garix View Post

Incorrect. Both EF and NHB use the word "Crossbow" without specifics. I've been using a GXbow with EF for quite a while so it is WAI. Assuming that NHB is coded the same as EF and there is no reason to assume that it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by edgarallanpoe View Post
    Incorrect. Both EF and NHB use the word "Crossbow" without specifics. I've been using a GXbow with EF for quite a while so it is WAI. Assuming that NHB is coded the same as EF and there is no reason to assume that it is not.
    Just confirming that the Wiki is wrong then as it (and the original release notes) state: "You may activate this ability to enchant your Light of Heavy (non-repeating) crossbow to instantly reload itself for 18 seconds"

If that's no longer the case then many thanks for the correction. Don't have access until its released in the store

Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Community Member

Just confirming that the Wiki is wrong then as it (and the original release notes) state: "You may activate this ability to enchant your Light of Heavy (non-repeating) crossbow to instantly reload itself for 18 seconds"

If that's no longer the case then many thanks for the correction. Don't have access until its released in the store

If that's what the Wiki states then it is indeed incorrect. I am running an Inq 18/2 Rogue/Art so I am looking at both icons as I type this. They both say the exact same thing "crossbow" with no distinction, The Inq icon has additional info regarding an additional 10 RP if both EF and NHB are taken but both are worded as "crossbow".

If that's what the Wiki states then it is indeed incorrect. I am running an Inq 18/2 Rogue/Art so I am looking at both icons as I type this. They both say the exact same thing "crossbow" with no distinction, The Inq icon has additional info regarding an additional 10 RP if both EF and NHB are taken but both are worded as "crossbow".
    Cool. Thanks for the update
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Community Member

Default Damage

As to your original question, gxbow vs hxbow, there have been several threads where others have tested the damage vs 5th mech and 5th iquis. From what ive gathered from them and playing 4 lives so far as an inquisitive 20 pure rogue, 16 fighter 2 rogue 2 arti, 18 arti 2 rogue, 10 sorc 8 fighter 2 rogue (dont ask), 5th tier inquisitive is your best dps. Even with pure rogue inquis beat out mech 5 for dps. In heroics, if your just tring, honestly the damage you get from inquisitive is hands down better than any other pure class tree. If your planning to go to 30 inquisitive to me still won out for best damage. You lose a bit of damage switching to a gxbow for nhb. If you keep the gxbow equippied during load animation's your going to be waiting 3 seconds before you unload your barrage. At the start I was starting with hxbow and immediately switching to gxbow. Now I just use hxbow for all.

Someone ran the numbers on this in a previous thread and it’s very close, but for raw dps heavy crossbow wins because of law damage and faster activation. Still if you have a Volley you might want to swap for the better procs.
    Sabbath - Sarlona

Community Member

RISE! RISE! ok necromancy done...

I'm looking to sit at cap for a while on an inquisitive build since I finished racial trs, and I figured I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

Race/class are wide open.

The theme in this thread is a 18rog/2arti.

I've also considered 11rng/2arti/7wiz for sniper shot, displacement/shield/fireshield.

or 11rng/2arti/7rog for sniper shot, mech for more efficient AP use, and good SA.

So my questions:

Are there enough actives to hit in epics that I should just forget sniper shot and go full mech? It makes the AP real tight.

If I go rng, what is the best extra 7?

Is there any big synergy that I've missed with something else?

Sovereign Vorpal Halfling of Supreme Good scipiojedi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    RISE! RISE! ok necromancy done...

I'm looking to sit at cap for a while on an inquisitive build since I finished racial trs, and I figured I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

Race/class are wide open.

The theme in this thread is a 18rog/2arti.

I've also considered 11rng/2arti/7wiz for sniper shot, displacement/shield/fireshield.

or 11rng/2arti/7rog for sniper shot, mech for more efficient AP use, and good SA.

So my questions:

Are there enough actives to hit in epics that I should just forget sniper shot and go full mech? It makes the AP real tight.

If I go rng, what is the best extra 7?

Is there any big synergy that I've missed with something else?
    My current build (sitting at 18 atm) is 13 Rogue/6 Ranger/1 Fighter - Went 6 Ranger for sniper shot, fighter for the extra action boosts and feat, and 13 Rogue for all the SA dice. In my opinion when it comes to high ROF, you want to stack as much SA dice as you can. With 13 Rogue you get 7D6 automatically, and the SA dice you miss out on by not going 18 Rogue you gain back in the DWS tree, so I generally find this split favorable cause you get equal SA dice but retain sniper shot.

I tried Tier 5 Mech for a couple quests but I didn't like it as much as Tier 5 Inquisitive - No Holds Barred is really necessary ( I don't assume anything nor do I crunch numbers, setting enhancements and playing the character is the only way to judge)
    Last edited by scipiojedi; 07-16-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Working for free makes it very difficult to spend money on swords.
    https://www.twitch.tv/jobus1221/
    YouTube Channel

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by scipiojedi View Post
    My current build (sitting at 18 atm) is 13 Rogue/6 Ranger/1 Fighter - Went 6 Ranger for sniper shot, fighter for the extra action boosts and feat, and 13 Rogue for all the SA dice. In my opinion when it comes to high ROF, you want to stack as much SA dice as you can. With 13 Rogue you get 7D6 automatically, and the SA dice you miss out on by not going 18 Rogue you gain back in the DWS tree, so I generally find this split favorable cause you get equal SA dice but retain sniper shot.

I tried Tier 5 Mech for a couple quests but I didn't like it as much as Tier 5 Inquisitive - No Holds Barred is really necessary ( I don't assume anything nor do I crunch numbers, setting enhancements and playing the character is the only way to judge)
    interesting... I did notice in a couple of lives that DWS recovers the SA dice lost from rog levels. If you assume enough dex for combat archery anyway then losing 11 rng for IPS is no big loss. So I'm leaning toward 12rog/6rng/2arti now. Maybe even only 11rog since AP is tight and SA are odd levels... probably won't hit that core, just need to decide if 3 arti or 7 rng is better than 12 rog. edit: 7 Rng gets nothing, 3 arti gets 2nd level spells and some saves, 12 rog gets saves, option for epic SA, and the option for core 4.

I can see why you want 13 rog for the extra class feat and a SA die, but I'm leaning more toward 6 rng and 2 arti. The 2 arti gets free rapid reload and extra itemization with the rune arm, I think the rune arm easily makes up for 1 SA die. What two rog feats do you take? that seems to be the only loss by going arti.

BE also has extra AB though it is 4 more AP than in kensei.

T5 mech was never an option vs inquisitive, people here were looking at core 5 for gxbow swap during NHB for the crit multi.

Let's see: AP on the 11rog/6rng/3arti:

40 (+1tome) in inqu
    11 DWS sniper and a nice boost to PBS/SA range
    11 mech int to damage (like to do 13 for another 2 dmg and a SA die)
    8 harper kta (could drop some and recast more often)
    11 BE for +3 AB.

is 81, so it works at 80 with a 1 minute kta. Could trade one AB for +2 dmg and +1 SA die, would depend on how fast you're running out.

I also have a void for the arrow summon and can swap a bow for manyshot granted by rng levels.

Thanks for the advice, I'll def go heavier rog than rng.

Now I just need to work out the feat breakdown to get IC, IPS, precision, compeltionist, insightful reflex, PBS which should be np. Then settle on a race.
    Last edited by Cantor; 07-17-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Sovereign Vorpal Halfling of Supreme Good scipiojedi's Avatar

To be honest I don't even think about what free Rogue feats you get - the AP is too tight to invest in the artie trees in my opinion, if I had my cake I'd put 20 points in assassin just for that extra 4D6 SA. This life I'm a shaderkai so the dex isn't an issue, but I don't have AP for any SA in racial tree either. I'm not even sure I'll put points in Kensai at all, in which case going 1 barb for run speed may be a better option.

Edit: after looking, I think I took Improved Evasion at 10 Rogue and I'll take Opportunist at Rogue 13.
    Last edited by scipiojedi; 07-16-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    Working for free makes it very difficult to spend money on swords.
    https://www.twitch.tv/jobus1221/
    YouTube Channel

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by scipiojedi View Post
    To be honest I don't even think about what free Rogue feats you get - the AP is too tight to invest in the artie trees in my opinion, if I had my cake I'd put 20 points in assassin just for that extra 4D6 SA. This life I'm a shaderkai so the dex isn't an issue, but I don't have AP for any SA in racial tree either. I'm not even sure I'll put points in Kensai at all, in which case going 1 barb for run speed may be a better option.

Edit: after looking, I think I took Improved Evasion at 10 Rogue and I'll take Opportunist at Rogue 13.
    Those are the obvious 2 to take first. I'm not adverse to giving up improved evasion and just suck it up on 1's or try to fit in epic evasion.

I'm basically decided on 11rog/6rng/3arti. I'm only doing arti for the rune arm, the extra AB are just too good to overlook. It's not that much more AP than kensei and the arti levels bring way more than fighter. Without the AP in arti you could get 2 or 3 more SA dice, but +AB are everything with NHB. My cake would be enough to put 26 in mech for more SA dice and RP which is what you do if you give up rng levels and sniper shot... so DWS doesn't really make up all the SA dice you give up only those you lose from levels not those from AP... maybe sniper shot isn't worth it after all, especially if you are speed boosting all the time.

This line of reasoning brings me to 17rog/2arti/1ftr with
    40(+1)inqui
    7 harper
    26 mech
    7 kensei
    for max SA dice, more RP, 3 rog feats, and +boosts... but feats will be tighter.

Which basically brings you back to the start 18/2 if you swap in the gxbow, but without the +AB.

Looking at race my options are with 14 racial AP:

gnome: 4 int, height for IPS, 2 hit/dmg with light xbow, color spray if I can itemize illusion DC

halfling: dex for CA which means more con at creation, 2 SA dice, 3 MDB, height for IPS, no +int.

human: hamp, feat, 1 int +3 int action surge (will catch int up to gnome during AB), not short.
    Last edited by Cantor; 07-16-2019 at 12:44 PM.

From a previous exchange (above), just wanted to point out that there may be a minor wrench in flight up above the works - not landing in/out yet, but it's clearly going to land somewhere...

re these two exchanges...

Incorrect. Both EF and NHB use the word "Crossbow" without specifics...
    ...and...
    If that's what the Wiki states then it is indeed incorrect...
    Um... @ EAP - you are incorrecct that the Wiki is incorrect (or, at best, that it's necessarily incorrect).

I can easily believe that what you say is what the tooltip says, and how the numbers are working atm, but the Wiki originally took its info from the release notes. Which brings us back to wondering whether or not it's WAI, working as intended - which was the question, not whether or not that's how it's working at the moment.

Because all we know is that it's not working according to the Release Notes, not whether that's "as intended" or not:

(And I've added a "minor bug" note to that effect for now, until this gets nailed down one way or the other.)

Unless anyone has seen any comments from Devs on this issue, pro, con, or indeterminate?

(@ Devs - any comment?)

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    From a previous exchange (above), just wanted to point out that there may be a minor wrench in flight up above the works - not landing in/out yet, but it's clearly going to land somewhere...

re these two exchanges...

...and...

Um... @ EAP - you are incorrecct that the Wiki is incorrect (or, at best, that it's necessarily incorrect).

I can easily believe that what you say is what the tooltip says, and how the numbers are working atm, but the Wiki originally took its info from the release notes. Which brings us back to wondering whether or not it's WAI, working as intended - which was the question, not whether or not that's how it's working at the moment.

Because all we know is that it's not working according to the Release Notes, not whether that's "as intended" or not:

(And I've added a "minor bug" note to that effect for now, until this gets nailed down one way or the other.)

Unless anyone has seen any comments from Devs on this issue, pro, con, or indeterminate?

(@ Devs - any comment?)
    Seems not WAI to me and should be fixed.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Seems not WAI to me and should be fixed.
    I agree w/ the first half of that - but the second? Define "should". Imo, this is pretty minor, and there are better things to spend time on. From the above discussion, Inquisitive w/ a GXB is not a distinctly better option, just "an option". <shrug>

Either way (and assuming it is not WAI), as we saw w/ the Arcane Archer bug, it may be years before they get around to this, if at all - or it could happen next patch.

Don't suppose anyone has a screenshot of the actual NHB ability? Taken recently..
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Community Member

Don't suppose anyone has a screenshot of the actual NHB ability? Taken recently..

If the difficulty is low enough, a long bow is also a pretty good inquisitor weapon.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 07-17-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast