Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can we talk about the Weekly Coupon Freebies?

Dear SSG,
    first of all, thank you that you have a give-away every week. In general I find this pretty nice. But is it possible to skip the crappies, though?
    This week is 5 haste potions. 5 lvl 1 potions! I am sending out several 100er stacks every day.

This week: Haste Potions x5 - ****
    Last week: Remove Blindness Potion x5 - ****
    2 weeks ago: Elixir of Angel's Tears - ok
    3 : Lasting Potion of Resist Electricity (+10) x5 - ****
    4 : Lasting Potion of Tumbling (+20) x5 - ****
    5 : Lesser Restoration Potion x5 - ****
    6 : Lasting Potion of Protection from Evil (+2) x5 - ****
    7 : Major Crafting Experience Elixir - NICE
    8 : Lasting Potion of Resist Sonic (+20) x5 - ****
    9 : Light SP Potion x10 - ****
    10: Long Lasting Bull's Might Potion x5 - ****
    11: Lasting Aid Potion x5 - ****
    12: Long Lasting Supreme Ability Potion x5 - NICE
    13: Lasting Potion of Resist Acid (+10) x5 - ****
    14: Small Jewel of Fortune x5 - ok
    15: Medium Guild Renown Elixir - ok
    16: Serious Heal Potion x10 - ****
    17: Bouquet of Flowers - ok
    18: Box of Chocolates - ok
    19: Long Lasting Owl's Knowledge Potion x5 - ****
    20: Secret Door Divining Rod - ****
    21: Bell of Opening - ok
    22: Lesser Treasure Hunter's Elixir - ok
    23: Lasting Potion of Resist Fire (+10) x10 - ****
    24: Mirror of Glamering x1 - NICE (last week of december)

Even if you differ on some of my assessments, in 24 weeks we got around 50% ****. Those are things we can easily get ingame. We are not in 2010 anymore. How about some up-to-date shinies?

Cheers,
    Titus.

EDIT: Those are not 4 star ratings
    Last edited by TitusOvid; 06-20-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

Default Yes

Whilst I don't entirely agree with the OPs assessment of some of the offerings, I do agree with the sentiment there is an awful lot of dross put up.

I have a general rule - if it's good I'll log into the store and get it and also review the offers and maybe drop some DDOP on something. No guarantees but I have spent DDOP in this way quite often when I'd not have otherwise.

If it's dross I won't even visit the store. Guaranteed no DDOP spend.

So, over to you, SSG...

Yes agreed ...

Or at least give out a stack of 100 potions (except for the ones that are already nice like the supreme ability ones)

I think a balance can be had, here. Why not have the same items, but those items are boosted in level? Instead of 5 level 1 haste pots, maybe give 5 level 10 or level 20 haste pots. Something like that. These are things we can get in-game, but they're not something you can get in a random chest in korthos.
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

Community Member Highdracolich79's Avatar

Default lame o vendor pots

any potions that can be bought at a vendor i don't bother wasting my time with and will not go in my guild's daily message. i wouldn't mind 5x elixirs of angels tears every time you want to put some junk potions in there

Community Member

At first I thought you were rating everything four stars and was confused lol

I don't think you can expect store-only freebies every week though and that seems to be your evaluation

The Freebie is based on the store but it doesn't have to be necessary store items. But a stack of 10 cure serious or resistances, disease or whatever is really bad. You can get them at a regular vendor.
    Make em 100er stack.
    Maybe offer x rare scrolls.
    Some higher Tier Siberys Dragonshards.
    x rare collectables so people that don't run epics can still craft insightful stats once in a while.
    Maybe a Blood of Dragons from time to time.
    Maybe a gold seal (rogue) hireling.
    Lesser Anti-Beholder Crystal.
    It is not game breaking but nice from time to time.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

It almost seems like a missed opportunity to seed the want/need of very useful store bought items, maybe even including lesser variations of store exclusive items (elixers of discovery).

But many weeks, and I am assuming the thoughts of players here, it just seems like yet another half-assed system that hasn't had any real thought or planning.

Community Member

yeah, some rewards are particularly bad.
    and yet sometimes they manage to underdeliver
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/500175

Are you the one posting Freebie codes on Orien LFMs?
    Thanks for being so awesome!

No, I am not. But send her/him a tell and say "Thank you" ingame. It is always good to get feedback for such actions.

Cheers,
    Titus.
    Last edited by TitusOvid; 06-21-2019 at 06:29 AM.

I would like to have MRR, PRR, Ranged and Melee Power pots in the shuffle. Also, these and other store only pots added to general loot tables as well as some special event/vendor loot. I think these are too powerful as store and gold dice exclusives.

Inverse that, Offensive/Defensive Potion of Wonder are time consuming to collect in-game an would make excellent items for give aways.

The irritating part of about store-bought things (such as potions) is they don't stack in your inv with non-store-bought items of the same type.

For that reason alone, I'll never take a freebie (or pay for a non-freebie) of stuff I can get for plat. My inventory problems are big enough already.

Community Member

first of all a giveaway each week is cool, yet it should be of some value.
    potions i can buy thousands of for gold are not worth putting in there.

i don't claim those giveaways to be top notch expensive stuff, but it should feel worth to redeem.
    5 haste potions can't even bother me.

every now and then, like in the week of christmas or ddo's birthday some bigger prices like a mirror of glamering

and else some actual useful items would be cool (aka stuff you cannot buy for gold from a vendor)

also you could spice things up with some new additions to those giveaways. how about a 25 DDO points vouchers?
    or a token for a special cosmetic shop, where you can buy a cosmetic of your choice for lets say 5 tokens, exclusive to that shop.

something like that. the weekly freebies felt really great a few years ago, now they mostly don't even bother me. last time i logged in to redeem a code was for the mirror and the angle tear.

It is not supposed to be necessary useful but a way to get people to walk into the store and maybe buy something else, like those revolting billboards in the USA’s public space or food samples in big shops.

So if I were SSG I would offer freebies to entice players to buy them more—the cheese samples need to be of good cheese...They could do temporary guess passes of underplayed quests (wow! That would promote grouping for premiums and f2p and maybe get them to buy the pack!); expiring cosmetics like the pumpkin heads but less offensive and only for oneself; etc. In fact, I would have all coupon code stuff expire after 1 week so that people use them and hence play more—if so they could even be ‘OP.’

As a player I could care less unless it promotes community not just sales
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4 soon)

I didn't even see this thread until just now, but earlier today I posted this:

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Honestly there hasn't been a decent "freebie" in months. What's with all the pots you can buy from vendors? Seriously all these things can be bought for a couple of plat.

I used to look forward to the weekly freebie, but anymore, meh. Just an observation. Since its free I am not complaining about it, so all the smart-alecs that are already thinking up a scalding reply to insult me can stop.
    So I agree with the general sentiment expressed in this thread (obviously).

My main complai.... ahem, observations on bad freebies are:

1. Items are already available very very cheap from in-game vendors (haste potions, resist potions, etc.)
    2. Items are ever-so-slightly better than in-game vendors similar items (e.g. - long lasting potion of aid), so they won't stack with what you already have and are not worth the inventory slot and hot bar slot to bother with.
    3. Items are ok, but you only get 1 as opposed to a stack of say 10+ (e.g. - Angel's Tears, Long Lasting Supreme Ability Potion) which also means I won't likely bother with making room for them on my hot bar and in my pack.

So that said, I have only grabbed maybe 8 of the weekly freebies in the last 26 weeks, and 5 of those were from more than 4 months ago. That means only 3 in the last 4 months, with the last one of those from about 8 weeks ago.

Whoever is deciding on the weekly freebies is really missing the boat on an opportunity to make players happy and potentially get them to make purchases by opening the DDO Store every week.
    Last edited by Fedora1; 06-21-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

I don't get the concept behind this. what is the purpose?
    For marketing purposes it is badly executed. No one will ever hit the shop because of crappy offerings. It is more seen as ridiculous.
    Just a nice way to spread some love? Great idea but badly executed. Gifts with no thought are no good gifts.
    Maybe it is just an old system that just runs and runs and no one is paying real attention...

Now I am getting into assuming. Not good.

Cheers,
    Titus.

Community Member

Default That player

Its free. Take it, dont take it. Its.....free.
    A better arguement would be about the rigged wheel of shame giving out 100 plat 5 days in a row. Heres what I want, if I spin and get that awesome plat kachink sound I automatically get a gold spin as a, ahhh here you go loser prize.

Community Member

For reference:

$1 Off Large Fries
    Buy One, Get One for $0.50(Big Mac® or Quarter Pounder®)
    Get 20 pc. Chicken McNuggets® for $4.99
    Buy 5 McCafé® Beverages, Get 1 Free
    $1 Off Large McCafé® Frappé, Mocha and Latte

Nothing free unless you buy 5.

Quote Originally Posted by TitusOvid View Post
    But is it possible to skip the crappies, though?
    Im sorry to be the first to say it but no. Never. Dont ever pass on crappies.

They may not fight much but they taste a lot better than bass and you get a lot more per fillet than perch or bluegills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast