Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Player Population

I'm coming back from a rather large break and I was wondering what servers would be best to start on for grouping.

You have to give us some more information. What is your time zone and what time of day do you normally play?

I play on Sarlona in the evening, US Eastern Time zone (-5 gmt) and have no complaints. I know people who try to play during morning and early afternoon hours on weekdays and have problems finding groups at those times.

I'd recommend finding a good guild after you pick your server. It's much easier to group when you have friends and guild mates.

Don't listen to ol' Grumplegus there. Cannith is the most active new player server. Join The Hand of Death, a new player friendly grouping guild and you're on your way fam.

Community Member

Absolutely stay away from cannith, nobody on that server knows how to play the game at all.

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPurge View Post
    Don't listen to ol' Grumplegus there. Cannith is the most active new player server. Join The Hand of Death, a new player friendly grouping guild and you're on your way fam.
    Open invite, PM here or in-game @Khysiria

Quote Originally Posted by FlavoredSoul View Post
    Absolutely stay away from cannith, nobody on that server knows how to play the game at all.
    While I can certainly agree I don't know the endgame and high Reaper meta well, there are certainly quite a few who do lol. If that's what you're after there are plenty of people who go for it. We also have excellent TR zergers if that's your thing. I'm more about helping new players out though, so YMMV.

Cannith is the default server currently so it has the most players, and the most new players. I'm sure plenty of us aren't the pinnacle of DDO that you're talking about, but I can tell you which end of a sword is pointy

If you want endgame reaper raids etc I'd recommend guild hunting, not server hunting (Omnipresence and Helter Skelter are two of the best I've seen videos of).

------

If you're not on during US hours though, you might check around a little before picking a server based on forum posts. AFAIK Ghallanda has more EU people for instance. Cannith is pretty US heavy, so it's not as good if you're not (although I have a few Australian & EU guildies who I raid with weekly, so yeah).
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

You are always welcome to join us on Ghallanda , we dont bite and we are friendly. And it is the home of Tyrs Paladium!! so its even better.
    TYRS PALADIUM.....Officer. If you think there must be more to the game than pugging, come on and joinTYRS! Willibold Fighter/Wilibold monk /Tooflower monkftr/rogue /Hesteban fvs /Machiavehli druid/ Commabayou bard /Greenbolts ranger/Dramoh arti /Dragbat bard /Covemonster Paladin/A Pherzackerly wizard/Asimovsbayne barb/Pardoner/Cottelettedporc cleric/ftr /

Your best bet is to create a character on each server and then check them out during your normal playtime so you can look around at Korthos and check the online listing of how many are on.

I will say that when I check my alts Cannith always has more people running around Korthos than any of the other servers during the US West Coast mornings and afternoons. The chat there is also more active.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

Community Member

I'll have to agree with the general sentiment here: it really depends on your normal login times.

It might take some effort, but creating a character on each server and checking at the times you usually play will most likely give you better results than asking here, where none of us have any real data.

If you only play on weekends, or you live in Europe, or only play after midnight, the most populous server, to your eyes, will definitely be different.

Community Member

I'm in Central time(gmt-5). Would anybody know what server is active around 3-11pm CT?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukor View Post
    I'm in Central time(gmt-5). Would anybody know what server is active around 3-11pm CT?
    Probably Cannith is most active then, but it does start to taper down a little earlier than that on week nights.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.

Don't come to Khyber.

We are mean and we'll tell you your mom dresses you funny.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Hi Welcome

Community Member

Ah, the dangers of asking for advice on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Don't come to Khyber.

We are mean and we'll tell you your mom dresses you funny.
    Don't listen to him either. Khyber is busy at the times you are on, and there is a solid player population. Lots of vets, some new people, most people are very helpful and nice.

Except Arkat, he's mean.
    Graceana, assassin ~ Xiya, tempest ~ Shinshi, shintao ~ Ayaxi, thief-acrobat ~ Saravi, cleric ~ Sanziana, arcane archer ~ Kyudojin, mechanic
    Talvi, caster druid ~ Zinzie, shiradi sorc ~ Kishori, spellsinger ~ Faunia, wolf druid ~ Viven, warchanter ~ Jianqiao, ninja spy
    Cliodna, wizard ~ Serenwyn, swashbuckler ~ Duisteri, shuribuild ~ Mahuika, warlock ~ Narabali, tank ~ Tabbithah, artificer
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Helmet View Post
    Honestly, I am glad to say I will save money and save it for my kid... at least Legos do not change overnight so that the pieces don't fit together anymore..

Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    Don't listen to him either. Khyber is busy at the times you are on, and there is a solid player population. Lots of vets, some new people, most people are very helpful and nice.
    I play on Khyber and being retired I've played during the mornings, afternoons and evening West Coast US times and while I'm always seeing others running around (except for Korthos), it's one of the quietest chat channel servers I've ever been on.

If you go to Khyber make use of the guild area of the server sub-forum as relying on chat might not work the best.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

I guess...
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4 soon)

Most of the advice in here is useless.
    Certainly don't trust anyone saying Server X is bad or good.

As someone said before, it's worthwhile to look around at each server and get a rough feeling of how many people play at your playtimes. Will take some effort, but if you stick around for a longer time, it's worth it.

I think cannith is default server right now, which explains why there are so many people in korthos. That does not mean the server is actually more populated in general, most newbies go away again.

I myself play on Orien and I've never left it. I can tell you it's good or bad, it doesn't matter, I don't really know what I'm comparing it to. From numbers over the years It feels like all servers have about the same population, it just differs a bit on certain hours.
    I like the Orien community, but once again, I don't know what I'm comparing it to.

In short, do your own investigation and look for aspects you find important.

Process of elimination, alias `not Wayfinder

It could be a good idea to ask around in larger guild threads if most of them are online in your timezone-playtime intersection.

Community Member

I've gotten ship buffs from HoD and seen members answering questions in chat, I'm not on Cannith often but from what I've seen they look great. Seems like a good time to express my thanks for the buffs ;-)
    I am profoundly disappointed with the current state and direction of DDO, and my purchasing habits reflect this. A drastic improvement in quality of life, transparency, and honest communication would improve my spending. Promises and "more squeeze" will not.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Process of elimination, alias `not Wayfinder

It could be a good idea to ask around in larger guild threads if most of them are online in your timezone-playtime intersection.
    I think I should really do a new character on Wayfinder one day.
    Although I'm German I've always been playing on Khyber. Because friends play there, too. On the bad side I often miss them due to the different time zones we're in.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Quote Originally Posted by Epicstorms View Post
    I think cannith is default server right now, which explains why there are so many people in korthos. That does not mean the server is actually more populated in general, most newbies go away again.
    Lotta people out of Korthos too lol. And yes, default server does actually have the highest population after a few months of being the default. It's happened every time, and will happen with the next one (unless it's Wayfinder, then IDK).

Quote Originally Posted by LucidLTS View Post
    I've gotten ship buffs from HoD and seen members answering questions in chat, I'm not on Cannith often but from what I've seen they look great. Seems like a good time to express my thanks for the buffs ;-)
    Aww thanks! I'll pass it on Y'all are welcome to join if you want.
    -Khysiria of Cannith

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    Aww thanks! I'll pass it on Y'all are welcome to join if you want.
    I appreciate the offer, but I worry it would be a poor way to repay your kindness. Cannith's not my main server, and even on my main I might go weeks between logins with the current lag, bugs, and hamster wheel. I worry that I'd contribute more renown decay than advancement. If I find myself there regularly I'll definitely ask for an invite, but for now I think it's more fair to just keep you guys on my friends list.
    I am profoundly disappointed with the current state and direction of DDO, and my purchasing habits reflect this. A drastic improvement in quality of life, transparency, and honest communication would improve my spending. Promises and "more squeeze" will not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast