• Alchemist! another semi caster!

14 29.17%
  • Some new melee class!

24 50.00%
  • Other class will write my opinion

10 20.83%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alchemist or not?

So guys as you know new class will be Alchemist and i wanted too check how many ppl is disappointed as i am...
    Leader of Radical Dreamers

Character's: Kylerr Heroic Past life: 42/42 Icoinic Past life: 18/18 Epic Past life: 36/36 Racial Past life: 33/33

Community Member

I think its wholly unfair to judge it based solely on its name and assumptions about its playstyle

Wait until we actually see the class and the enhancement trees. Wait until we actually know the mechanics involved. Right now you're just basing your opinion on flavor, and that's the last thing that should be used to judge a class. Whatever its called, what matters is how it actually plays.

For all we know the Alchemist WILL be a melee class, just like Artis have melee support in BE and RM.

Default Alchemist?

Holds NO interest for me whatsoever.

Psionic classes like Soulknife, Phychic Warrior, Psion, and Wilder are all way more interesting.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

I was hoping if we got a new class it would be something like a Shaman that combines some aspects of druid with divine. I don't know if there is a druid/arcane combo... the only one I played in PnP was a Fochlucan lyrist and that's a prestige not so much a singular class.

Someone on the forums mentioned a Brawler, an unarmed melee that seems more barbarian-like than lawful, meditative monk. I might have enjoyed that if it included drunken brawling or what was that feat that you could turn anything at hand into a spontaneous weapon? It would have to be more of an active attack in DDO than an actual feat but it could be fun to click an active attack with random junk showing up in your hand with which to clobber someone. Maybe the first time you click it, its a broken bottle, the next time its a table leg, third time its a rock, then a stein. Yeah, my half-orc would enjoy that... but it would absolutely require a head-butt attack.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I think its wholly unfair to judge it based solely on its name ....
    /Seconded, wholeheartedly.

We all have opinions on what an "Alchemist" is based on our individual gaming histories. Like I said elsewhere I have both enjoyed playing one as a kit before, and have had it be a total failure before with a different DM.

However, no sense circling any wagons until we see what the Powers have in mind for it here.

D: Am waiting and seeing.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I think its wholly unfair to judge it based solely on its name and assumptions about its playstyle

Wait until we actually see the class and the enhancement trees. Wait until we actually know the mechanics involved. Right now you're just basing your opinion on flavor, and that's the last thing that should be used to judge a class. Whatever its called, what matters is how it actually plays.

For all we know the Alchemist WILL be a melee class, just like Artis have melee support in BE and RM.

i just said what is my opinion and wanted to see how many ppl think same...
    my thread will prolly change nothing...

Imo Alchemist should be another premium tree same as vistani , harper ect... i know it from pnp and imo it will be bad in mmorpg ( again In MY opinion )

and last imo Alchemist is semi caster not melee , unless it will hit mobs with flask
    Leader of Radical Dreamers

Character's: Kylerr Heroic Past life: 42/42 Icoinic Past life: 18/18 Epic Past life: 36/36 Racial Past life: 33/33

Community Member

Pretty crappy poll as it is very biasd and you don't even know what the class entails.

In a table top group I am in we have an alchemist who is melee and just uses the pots for buffs/heals.

Hold off on the hate when you know almost nothing about it aside from the name.

For example the Renegade mastermaker we have is a pretty cool tree but if you look at the source material:

http://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/re...ker/index.html

Very different.

I have no idea how will the Alchemist class will be. So I dont have a clear opinon about it.

I would prefer a class that would support creativity, roleplay, skill use. Classes directly bonded and locked to a weapon type or fighting/casting style (Artificer/Warlock are not my favorites) are allways more restrictive than 'Sub' classes when we consider D&D. If the strongest side of those classes are not used at said character sheet, they tend to be gimped. No real place for creativity, imagination or roleplay.

Here is an humble idea of a caster/skiller class which is open to roleplay ideas aswell as fun solo and team play support built in. I am sure it can have variations add ons and changes around itself. I hope new classes would represent similar but even better (I know developers can be pretty creative) than the sketch of the idea.

Just an humble idea with funny named Slas and such...:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Arcane-Scholar

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Psionic classes like Soulknife, Phychic Warrior, Psion, and Wilder are all way more interesting.
    I like passive protoplasm, but i like active protoplasm too...

I wait for psionics, but alchemist good for me too. 8)

Community Member

Hopefully if will not wind up being just a splash class using the Arti potion throwing mechanics...

If it is, then definitely, "No."

My opinion is, "Meh."

This is formal notice that I reserve the right to change my mind at a future date. More than once if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Obviously, my first pick would be psion (with other psionic classes) but that's coming later on, I'm sure. If it was being done this year, I'd say my top most wanted are:

1. Shaman - ritual dancing, spirit summoning, high survivability, and weather control. You have to put in the dances. No, druid and shaman are not the same thing: druids are more about nature, shamans are more about the spirit realm.

2. Hexblade - melee, heavy debuffing capability, off-tank, minor utilitarian arcane magic. DDO lacks a heavy debuffer; souleater warlocks only partially do the job.

3. Necromancer - curses and hexes, disposable undead summons, charm undead, high survivability. You can take pale master from wizard and split it into three enhancement trees.
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

1. we don’t have enough info for this poll
    2. I would love any caster class ^^
    3. I really hope that whatever will be the next class, they took the time to see every detail before showing it to us. (Don’t like to see powerful stuff… and then see how is nerfed. Like monks and warlocks)

I'll reserve my opinion until I see the class.
    I can say for certain I will have one.
    But then again,sooner or later I have a character of every class.
    Originally Posted by grodon9999
    "I'm beginning to think a lot of people play this game because it's cheaper than paying for a Dominatrix."
    Disciplines Disciples - 54 Alts on Khyber and counting

Option Missing

Based on what we know, which is only the name, I am totally uninspired and unexcited. But, I am not ready to judge anything until we actually see the actual... ya know, information about the class before I decide if it's going to be something I really want to play or not. Yeah, right now I'm leaning strongly towards "not" - but it's too early to do more than that.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by kuzka111 View Post

and last imo Alchemist is semi caster not melee , unless it will hit mobs with flask
    Depends on the size and material of the flask.

A glass 750 ml Bacardi bottle leaves a heck a bruise. ...erm, so I hear.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

As I said in another thread I am NOT impressed with Alchemist being the next class in DDO, I simply cannot see what such a class can bring to the table. At best Alchemist is a new enhancement tree for Wizard and possibly Artificer.

My main problem with Alchemist though is that SSG has a finite set of resources to spend on developing new content, I cannot believe that Alchemist would be anywhere near the top of a list of "Where to spend precious resources" that the players could come up with.

If we "wait and see" then SSG will have already wasted more resources on a new class that NO ONE asked for, so commenting on the prospect of the Alchemist as the next new class is never a waste of our time.

I have my list of classes I would like adding, and so does just about everyone else who posts on the forums. It would have made far more sense for SSG to ask us, their customers, what class we would like to see next, that is common sense, its called market research and is something most companies actually do.

Please SSG if you really are planning on introducing the Alchemist just "Stop right there, before you go any further" (Thanks Meatloaf). Reveal the current state of investment in this new class, put forward your case for completion of it. In essence ask OUR opinion on the way forward, you are after all expecting US to pay for this new class. VIPs will pay for it regardless, those of us who buy points can at least choose where to spend those points, although we have no control over what you do with the money we gave you for those points.

There are far better uses for the limited resources SSG have than the Alchemist - a class that does not even exist in D&D books (certainly the ones I own) - it is a Pathfinder Class and whilst I am not averse to the inclusion of good ideas from elsewhere I would prefer the Alchemist be shelved and the resources spent on things that are needed far more

It is another Warlock for the next 3 years,..

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    It is another Warlock for the next 3 years,..
    I highly doubt Alchemist will be a powerhouse in the damage department, nor should they. At best, I think, they'll be somewhere around generalist clerics, spellsinger bards, arcanotech artificers, or evocation druids. They'll probably have decent damage if built for it, but nothing approaching a well-built sorcerer, warlock, or favored soul, and the melee capability of perhaps a pure warchanter bard or a warpriest cleric; not good, not bad. Alchemist, like other hybrids such as artificers and bards, should bring utility, buffs, and support to the table rather than a full offensive array of spells and attacks.

This is all speculation, of course, but Alchemist isn't the kind of archetype that inspires utter domination on the battlefield.
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

I'm just wondering how SSG came to the conclusion that Alchemist should be the next class? Was there a survey I missed? Was there a big outcry from the DDO Community calling for it that I missed?

Orders from WotC???
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast