Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default best laid plans bad planing

Are rampaging golems supposed to destroy prototypes AFTER being destroyed? (golem falls dead, gets that "sonic" aura just before dissapearing, and prototype gets destroyed)
    Just ran quest and all but one golem were destroyed in less than a second and only one did not destroy his prototype.

My guess it's latency issue (since I never have under 140 latency) but that's no excuse to have optional uncompletable.

Yes, I am aware it's "challenging" optional, but as I've said I destroyed all but one golem in less a second since opening door, so it's not lack of speed/dps. They just still do their scripted event after being destroyed.

EDIT: another issue in this quest is that artificer mobs keep trying to range dps characters through several floors (like in: "I'm a dps your toon so hard you'll delete him, HUH!? Why am I doing no damage?")
    Last edited by Drunkendex; 06-15-2019 at 07:45 AM.

So you see the sonic effect a second after the golem dies?

Was it crowd controlled in any specific way?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    So you see the sonic effect a second after the golem dies?

Was it crowd controlled in any specific way?
    If I freeze a golem and it's just a bit too close to the prototype, it will still destroy the prototype when I kill it. It's usually too chaotic for me to notice if it happens after the golem dies or if it started its sonic effect before freezing/dying.

The golem that is stationed right next to a prototype is one I can never interrupt or stop; it's an instant smash/wraith (never tried stealthing).

same happens to me... have him with the iconic tiefling spell (just TR and dont remember the name), kill him.. and he use the sonic thing and destroy the prototype.

Community Member

I've noticed this too. Probably need to tweak it a bit. You cc or kill it and it still destroys the prototype anyway. Pretty cheesy.

Default Seems to be the distance

I have not specifically gone in to test but it seems to be related to the distance between the golem and the prototype. If you can cc the golem while it is away from the prototype it works fine but if the golem is killed next to the prototype the script still happens even when killed. This was noticed when using Falconry Diving Attack. When used while the golem is away from the prototype everything is fine. I have knocked down the golem next to the prototype and the golem does not destroy the prototype when cc'd at that distance but does destroy it when killed even while still cc'd. Diving Attack knockdown is close to 6 sec and the golem was killed within 4 sec (based off strike for the eyes timer) and upon death the golem started the script and still destroyed the prototype while clearly still knocked down upon death and the script not starting before the cc took effect.

This is a very limited case using only Falconry Diving Strike but hope it helps.
    Deathlytime, Deathlysoul, Deathlylife, Deathfists
    Thelanis
    Proud member of Monty Python's Flying Circus

Quote Originally Posted by Deathlylife View Post
    I have not specifically gone in to test but it seems to be related to the distance between the golem and the prototype. If you can cc the golem while it is away from the prototype it works fine but if the golem is killed next to the prototype the script still happens even when killed. This was noticed when using Falconry Diving Attack. When used while the golem is away from the prototype everything is fine. I have knocked down the golem next to the prototype and the golem does not destroy the prototype when cc'd at that distance but does destroy it when killed even while still cc'd. Diving Attack knockdown is close to 6 sec and the golem was killed within 4 sec (based off strike for the eyes timer) and upon death the golem started the script and still destroyed the prototype while clearly still knocked down upon death and the script not starting before the cc took effect.

This is a very limited case using only Falconry Diving Strike but hope it helps.
    This. The animation and thus destruction of the artifact seems linked to the distance of the golem from the artifact. I have had several times where a golem was killed as he got close, but before he even raised his arms, yet a sonic boom still goes off a second after he dies and the relic is destroyed anyway
    Orien: ][Vladtepes][Gelatinous][Lelitha]

I've had this happen most times. I run in while in water stance and jade him and while jaded he destroys the prototype. Or he is tripped from effect of Legendary Perfect Pinnacle, and still while on the ground breaks the Prototype. I have run this quest dozens of time and same thing. this is a bug (I never reported) that hopefully now that Devs know can resolve.
    Jubie Ninpucho
    Uber completionist.
    True Reincarnate Thelanis

Can confirm problem with the quest. Golems still destroy the artifacts even when CCd, when close to the thing. Webbed, in my case.

Also, seems like a bunch of them (including the red-named) activate as soon as you enter the room (open the metal gate), leaving you next to no time to save the artifacts for the optional. Not sure if intended or not.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Community Member

I've actually killed some of these golems almost as soon as they started to move and had their corpse slide on the floor to the devices and still use their sonic thing while they were dead. Seems to be at least one instance where they will complete their script without interruption no matter what. Probably just need to tidy up the logic somewhere I'm guessing.

Yeah, I've experienced this problem, too. I generally don't even bother trying to save the prototypes any more. The golems move too fast and activate too soon for it to be feasible, esp. with the number of other mobs running around during all of this.

This is my least-favorite Sharn quest simply because it has NO FLOW whatsoever. What ORDER is this quest supposed to go in? I've had runs where we get the message about Victor being trapped by his own dimensional anchor BEFORE the message that he SET the dimensional anchor fires!

IMO the quest would be 100% better if the map was a bit bigger and less-convoluted, so you can't actually get out on the ledge where Victor is until you've done the lab. The way it stands now, you can EITHER go to the lab OR run out and fight Victor's summons, and it just makes the quest a confused mess.

Couple that with the problem where it takes like 50 tries to get the stupid low gravity button to work because of everyone trying to use it simultaneously, and this is a quest where people wind up scattered and everything gets screwed up almost every time. It's tiresome to run alone and annoying to run with a group. That's kind of impressive for such a short quest.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    IMO the quest would be 100% better if the map was a bit bigger and less-convoluted, so you can't actually get out on the ledge where Victor is until you've done the lab. The way it stands now, you can EITHER go to the lab OR run out and fight Victor's summons, and it just makes the quest a confused mess.
    It needs clear quest objectives (with mob count, please!) and some QA love, at least. I've run it a good 5 times now, and still have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing in what order, most of the time. For example, last night I got stuck after clearing the basement with the objectives not updating and Victor unresponsive, with only "Confront Victor" objective active. I knew I was supposed to kill some wraiths, but at some point they just stopped spawning, so I just had to run around the map for like 10 minutes to see how I can actually trigger them >__<
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    It needs clear quest objectives (with mob count, please!) and some QA love, at least. I've run it a good 5 times now, and still have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing in what order, most of the time. For example, last night I got stuck after clearing the basement with the objectives not updating and Victor unresponsive, with only "Confront Victor" objective active. I knew I was supposed to kill some wraiths, but at some point they just stopped spawning, so I just had to run around the map for like 10 minutes to see how I can actually trigger them >__<
    What i think is the order:

Get ledger at start
    Step in the side door, do wheels, jump to golem area
    Kill golems til objective about golems is complete
    Open shrine, go up there til u reach victor, he spawns the 4 waves, get closer to him again, will pop wraiths now
    Choose to kill or to save

Or you can go Victor directly, do waves and wraiths and then you need to go down to the basement to kill golems, and back again to victor
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Community Member

I actually really like the utter chaos in this quest. I just don't like doing something that has no effect.

I will take a look at golems' logic. They should not blow up prototypes while crowd controlled or dead. That's messed up.

I find this surprising. Not that it is broken but that people are trying to complete the optional. Is there any reason to complete it? A bit of XP and/or a random loot chest don't seem worth the trouble.

Community Member

It's a decent chunk of xp
    My main Orien Bozos - Mozenrath, Messam, Yashamaru, Quackerjack, Koganei

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    This is my least-favorite Sharn quest simply because it has NO FLOW whatsoever. What ORDER is this quest supposed to go in?
    Agreed, its very poor direction. Not only a lack of direction, but outright misleading direction

Like after you get into the office, it tells you to go to the basement. The logical reaction to that is to go down the stairs, where you find a basement door that's closed. The logical reaction to that is to try and find a way to open the door.

Nope. You're supposed to climb back UP, back into the ventilation system, and then drop down the air shaft into the basement.

I feel like normally, DDO design would have a DM note when you tried the basement door like "The door to the basement is pressure-sealed from the inside. You'll need to find another way down." Then at least you know WHAT you're looking for even if you dont know WHERE to find it.

Fixed the bug with posthumous vandalism. The golems should no longer explode prototypes after they fall down. Coming to you in a future bugfix release.

As to poor direction of the quest, well, that conversation is funny to me. Because when the directions are clear, folks complain about being railroaded, because the quest is too linear. Sort it out among yourselves.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Agreed, its very poor direction. Not only a lack of direction, but outright misleading direction

Like after you get into the office, it tells you to go to the basement. The logical reaction to that is to go down the stairs, where you find a basement door that's closed. The logical reaction to that is to try and find a way to open the door.

Nope. You're supposed to climb back UP, back into the ventilation system, and then drop down the air shaft into the basement.

I feel like normally, DDO design would have a DM note when you tried the basement door like "The door to the basement is pressure-sealed from the inside. You'll need to find another way down." Then at least you know WHAT you're looking for even if you dont know WHERE to find it.
    I don't think its misleading at all. From the beginning of the quest you are taking indirect routes to get places. You can't enter the office from its door, so why would the door to the basement work? Well done quest from my perspective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast