Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GramercyRiff View Post
    Ok I read the 5E Alchemist. It's very similar to the Pathfinder version.

Good spell list. Also bombs. I am ready.

We need Mirror Image in DDO. We also need much better high level Druid and Cleric spells but now I'm off topic.
    Yeah, after looking at the 5E alchemist stuff, it would translate fairly well to DDO.

- create grenades, vials, flasks, and bombs to throw as a staple of the class
    - helpful restorative magic (basic cure wounds spells, panacea, restoration, greater restoration, remove disease/poison/curse, etc)
    - access to thematic arcane magic with emphasis on conjuration and transmutation (melf's acid arrow, cloudkill, web, acid flask, flesh to stone, etc)
    - access to admixtures similar to artificer
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

We need Mirror Image in DDO. We also need much better high level Druid and Cleric spells but now I'm off topic.
    I read the 3.5 edition version as well since DDO is based on D&D 3.5 rule set.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    I read the 3.5 edition version as well since DDO is based on D&D 3.5 rule set.
    I've never seen a 3.5 Alchemist where is it?

I've never seen a 3.5 Alchemist where is it?
    I think this is it.
    http://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/al...ant/index.html
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post
    That's a prestige class but they'll probably take inspiration from it so thanks.

That's a prestige class but they'll probably take inspiration from it so thanks.
    I don't think alchemist was ever a base class, to begin with. I think it was always a prestige.

nvm
    Last edited by Eelpout; 06-13-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Moderatly reformed forum lurker.

"Hi, Lurker"

Community Member

I don't think alchemist was ever a base class, to begin with. I think it was always a prestige.
    I think you're right. I am not aware of any Alchemist base class in 3.5.

Community Member

Alchemist is supposed to be utility and support, so I'm expecting a bit of crowd control, probably some heavy debuffing, with a strong focus on acid, fire, and poison damage and some healing thrown into the mix.
    Support? I play one time as Alchemist in pnp (not DnD or ADD, but Fox system (derivation from Storyteller)) with very good DM, and it was time of mayhem and destruction! Heavy firepower with unique alchemical hand cannon, napalm bombs, poison grenades, gremlin's powered/targeted autonomous shouldercannon and advanced rocket launcher with thermobaric warhead... So no, it's not support, it's heavy weapon platform! 8)

I'm not read 5E, but ready too! 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfo View Post
    Support? I play one time as Alchemist in pnp (not DnD or ADD, but Fox system (derivation from Storyteller)) with very good DM, and it was time of mayhem and destruction! Heavy firepower with unique alchemical hand cannon, napalm bombs, poison grenades, gremlin's powered/targeted autonomous shouldercannon and advanced rocket launcher with thermobaric warhead... So no, it's not support, it's heavy weapon platform! 8)
    Severlin said it was a support/utility class in his short interview. That doesn't mean it'll be weak (look at spellsinger bards and clerics).

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    I have always preferred playing a wizard and my caster no matter what other caster past lives they have is an end game wizard. However this class peaks my interest even though in pen and paper I never created one. I would be most interested in the process of creating the potions and how that would work. This type of things really sparks my interest.
    In PnP, this would be interesting. In DDO? This will likely be using the collectibles we already have and go to a Workstation. Throwing will be similar to the Artificer potion throw. So... Same ol', same ol'.

I do hope they keep the class as close to the D&D model as possible for an MMO. A few things I am looking for to stay true is.
    • Main abilities Intellegence & Dexterity
    • Only Lawful or Nuetral alignment (no chaotic) - Lawful gets a +1 maybe in potion crafting
    My main concern is it seems too much like a cross class PrE still, not a seperate class, which is what I'm annoyed with. It's like making a Berzerker class that rages but is a separate class instead of being an Enhancement for an existing Class (like Fighter or Barbarian) or just letting players make a multi-class character (Barbarian and Fighter hybrid) and naming it so.

Again, understanding existing mechanics in use, and what can be done so far, I am not feeling this new class. Just too much of the same.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Will we be able to brew our own potions and pass them out to alts?
    How about... Planescape or Dark SUN?

Time to bring in... Psionics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by salmag View Post
    That would be cool

Some folks lobbied hard against psionics because it would mean a new system or else it would be too similar to casters.

I'm wondering what they are going to need to do in order to avoid these same points, while keeping it original enough to not be a rehash of something already in game.

Community Member

Default Self-medication

I am a bit meh about it but if one of the enhancement trees is all about self-medication and experimenting with the chemicals and concoctions to enhance oneself then that could get interesting. Want more temp HP? I have a pot for that. I am thinking things like alchemical increase to all stats, attack, damage, DR, SR, PRR, MRR, Natural Armor, effects like tensors, size increase, save increases. Chug this and you become a veritable Bane using Venom. Why waste time throwing stuff at others when you can just drink the stuff and enhance yourself. There's your multi-classing.

for me alchemist should be another multi class tree same as harper , vistani ect...
    Leader of Radical Dreamers

Character's: Kylerr Heroic Past life: 42/42 Icoinic Past life: 18/18 Epic Past life: 36/36 Racial Past life: 33/33

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post

I would guess with these conversations coming from D&D 5th ed, that this is more a push from WotC than anything inspired by Pathfinder.

Which is a shame they're going with 5e material when there is tons of better (imho) 3.5 material still available. I would have had to change my shorts if it was the Marshall or Hexblade, but alas we get this mediocre 5e stuff instead. On the plus side I don't have to change my shorts...

Lame should have been the 3'rd arti tree seriously so glad i don't bother anymore
    Damonz Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Bleh, is right.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by salmag View Post
    Dunno, but do know the PnP version can't do that, so...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast