Community Member

Default Catacomb end rewards

Im pretty sure Im not the only one lately who wishes one weapon in particular couldve been as good as the other rewards. The light crossbow offered as an end reward in the catacombs chain. Almost every weapon in the rewards offer ghost touch but not that one. Ghost touch at low levels for newer players or ones who did not get the chance to farm the ghost touch augment is a problem for pewpewers. Tons of melee weapons offer ghost touch at lower level. I understand inquisitor is a fairly new thing and noone cared about light/heavy crossbows before but...now we do. That one level 2 light xbow would be used by a lot of characters in the lower levels. As a inquisitor I mostly just skip necro and deleras just because I cant do enough damage to get through them. Levels 1 through 10 I mostly just pike incorporeal heavy quests.
    If any of the old timers have advice for low level ghost touch problems on ranged please pipe up. I only brought up catacombs rewards because 80% of the weapons offered have ghost touch except the bow and light crossbow.
    Guidance is the name of the crossbow.
    Last edited by iPuffinstuff; 06-12-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Community Member

Cannith Crafting.

Ghost Touched of Unnatural Bane.

If you don't cannith craft yourself, you could try advertising in the Trade channel that you are looking for either a crafter or a Ruby of Ghostbane.
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...il-of-the-Bard

You're right about a lack of low level x-bows with ghost touch. There is, however, a long bow (since you mentioned pew-pews in general):

My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Community Member

I use a repeater at those levels and swap to dual once it pays off after you have the right feats. Plus, I already have low level vorpal/ghost/holy/etc repeaters. If you're not splashing arti, that might not be convenient proficiency-wise. You can run repeater all the way until you swap style to use ratcatcher. If you have a glut of crafting supplies you could swap at 6, but earlier it just makes sense to use repeater.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetigers33 View Post
    Cannith Crafting.

Ghost Touched of Unnatural Bane.

If you don't cannith craft yourself, you could try advertising in the Trade channel that you are looking for either a crafter or a Ruby of Ghostbane.
    Yeah, crafting is an option, but a crafter would need the following to make a ML4 ghostbane of unnatural bane:

Essenses = 1380
    Swaying Mushroom Cluster = 30
    Stone Fetish = 10
    Planar Talisman = 5
    Caravan Logbook = 30
    Cryptmoss Queen = 2
    Purified Eberron Dragonshard Fragments = 12 (and these are BTA, so the crafter would have to use his own)

Also you have to be pretty high level to make an unbound ghost touch shard (at L393 I have a 76% chance).

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.

Also, while L9 is probably a little higher than you are looking for, you can equip the Black Opal Bracers from WPM or the Cloak of Invisibility from Tempests Spine at L9 that will allow all your attacks to bypass incorp miss chance.

If you splash arti so you can use runearms, there is the ML7 Astral Projector from Night Revels.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Purified Eberron Dragonshard Fragments = 12 (and these are BTA, so the crafter would have to use his own)
    I was just letting the guy know his options. I've crafted lots of high end unbound stuff and most people have unbound tomes they don't want or Small/Medium/Large Eberron Dragonshard fragments that they give me and I trade those in for the BtA Purified Eberron Dragonshard Fragments. I've even just run quests with people and had them pass tokens of the 12 if they needed me to craft something and neither of us had any other means of getting the Purified frags.
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetigers33 View Post
    I was just letting the guy know his options. I've crafted lots of high end unbound stuff and most people have unbound tomes they don't want or Small/Medium/Large Eberron Dragonshard fragments that they give me and I trade those in for the BtA Purified Eberron Dragonshard Fragments. I've even just run quests with people and had them pass tokens of the 12 if they needed me to craft something and neither of us had any other means of getting the Purified frags.
    I understand, it's a legit option. Just seems like a lot of resources for something that may only be useful for a short time so thought I would put it out there for the OP before hand so he knows what might be needed.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Considering how much low-level Catacombs is, pure Newbies ( plus first-lifers) would just not be able to craft such a thing with these requirements at that low level.
    This just shows me how much out of touch the community is regarding the problems of real Newbies.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    Considering how much low-level Catacombs is, pure Newbies ( plus first-lifers) would just not be able to craft such a thing with these requirements at that low level.
    This just shows me how much out of touch the community is regarding the problems of real Newbies.
    The OP's join date is 2013. Guessing they have a decent amount of collectibles. And I also mentioned just asking about it in the trade channel. There are a lot of nice players that will help out free of charge. Or maybe that's just Khyber, but I've seen a lot of pay it forward.

Also, the main gripe is about a lack of ghost touched options for Inquisitive builds. Are there really that many fresh off the boat newbs that own the Inquisitive tree?
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?

Op does not appear to be a newbie. And crafting levels do not correspond to character level, when I TR to L1 I still have crafting level 393.

Community Member

Buy a ruby of ghostbane, Guidance is fine as is. I much prefer it doing 2d6 to evil and beating good dr, which imo is better than the other weapons beating incorp/silver and doing 1d6 vs undead.

It's already basically win by holding the mouse button down yolo with inquistive. Group with a turn undead class, a nuker, a melee with ghost touch, equip one of those melee ghost touch weapons yourself, buy a ruby on the AH, learn to craft, etc..

If newbies can't solve the basic problems of DDO when there are so many easy solutions now available, they'll never be of any value further down the line. Consider Delera's incorp a standardized test for whether or not someone will ever do the research and put in the effort to quickly kill a reaper. If they fail, they aren't ever really going to enjoy DDO without someone holding their hand, which is fine and they're welcome to play but the responsibility for fixing their problems is on whoever volunteered to hold their hand to fix things for them, it's not up to the community and devs to make DDO into Hello Kitty Island Adventure because someone couldn't figure out a minor challenge.
    Last edited by acemonkey; 06-12-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Community Member

Default Elitist

Quote Originally Posted by acemonkey View Post
    Buy a ruby of ghostbane, Guidance is fine as is. I much prefer it doing 2d6 to evil and beating good dr, which imo is better than the other weapons beating incorp/silver and doing 1d6 vs undead.

It's already basically win by holding the mouse button down yolo with inquistive. Group with a turn undead class, a nuker, a melee with ghost touch, equip one of those melee ghost touch weapons yourself, buy a ruby on the AH, learn to craft, etc..

If newbies can't solve the basic problems of DDO when there are so many easy solutions now available, they'll never be of any value further down the line. Consider Delera's incorp a standardized test for whether or not someone will ever do the research and put in the effort to quickly kill a reaper. If they fail, they aren't ever really going to enjoy DDO without someone holding their hand, which is fine and they're welcome to play but the responsibility for fixing their problems is on whoever volunteered to hold their hand to fix things for them, it's not up to the community and devs to make DDO into Hello Kitty Island Adventure because someone couldn't figure out a minor challenge.
    This right here is what hurts the game. Noone including me asked for my hand to be held. Never once. I asked for advice with ghost touch on ranged at lower levels. My main posting was about the need for more ghost touch on ranged. My opinion. There are scores of melee ghost touched weapons but next to none on ranged. Can I craft a ghost touched weapon? No. I have been playing for almost 7 years. Mostly I read and didnt post on the forums. When I started, crafting to me was a nightmare so I just passed. It was easier to farm what I needed or close to it from named items. Also maybe Im looking a gift horse in the mouth because I was under the impression there is no such way to BUY a ghost touch augment. Please enlighten me? I assume you mean a shard someone else has crafted? Do you mean the halloween event? If so, I like many do not play years and years in a row and Ive happened to miss out on that augment every time. Thanks for your reply though. I will make a point of grouping more so that I can complete dungeons. Didnt know that was part of incorporeal quests....you must group and learn how to tackle it together! Awesome thought.
    Last edited by iPuffinstuff; 06-12-2019 at 10:50 PM.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Op does not appear to be a newbie. And crafting levels do not correspond to character level, when I TR to L1 I still have crafting level 393.
    Unless you're an artificer.

Quote Originally Posted by acemonkey View Post

Aahhhhh, other people in party, you mean those will actually join? Brcause it's rare in my timezone, a healer even rarer and one that can effectively turn undead? Pfffff havent seen one of those in heroic pugland in years.
    Back in the day it was the social component that though people how to play, not the manual. Without good veteran players guiding others, newer players will be lost, looking for information, if they are lucky, they find the wiki. If they are not, they will find some tired old veteran player, the other forum starting with a V or stop playing all together.

The problem is that you look at the problem, strictly from your viewpoint, other s aren't as lucky to have acces to these resourses.

Quote Originally Posted by iPuffinstuff View Post
    This right here is what hurts the game. Noone including me asked for my hand to be held. Never once. I asked for advice with ghost touch on ranged at lower levels. My main posting was about the need for more ghost touch on ranged. My opinion. There are scores of melee ghost touched weapons but next to none on ranged. Can I craft a ghost touched weapon? No. I have been playing for almost 7 years. Mostly I read and didnt post on the forums. When I started, crafting to me was a nightmare so I just passed. It was easier to farm what I needed or close to it from named items. Also maybe Im looking a gift horse in the mouth because I was under the impression there is no such way to BUY a ghost touch shard. Please enlighten me? Do you mean the halloween event? If so, I like many do not play years and years in a row and Ive happened to miss out on that augment every time. Thanks for your reply though. I will make a point of grouping more so that I can complete dungeons. Didnt know that was part of incorporeal quests....you must group and learn how to tackle it together! Awesome thought.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.