Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default THTH - best DC caster?

Danskerne + friends + PUG managed a win on normal in THTH last night on Ghallanda. It felt great to do so before its made easier. Definitely a more selective process than when I lead other PUG raids so a lowering of the difficulty will be good for pugs.

Anyway, I was on the Warlock and the only one able to handle the Skulls over the lava. Flesh to Stone, Hurl and Devour. Yet, it still felt too slow - and I am wondering which would be the best DC caster for that part? I am thinking possibly an Ice Sorc with Sunburst and obviously Mass Frog on the side.

Any suggestions on how to best handle the skulls above the lava? From what I hear Sunburst will be best.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Danskerne + friends + PUG managed a win on normal in THTH last night on Ghallanda. It felt great to do so before its made easier. Definitely a more selective process than when I lead other PUG raids so a lowering of the difficulty will be good for pugs.

Anyway, I was on the Warlock and the only one able to handle the Skulls over the lava. Flesh to Stone, Hurl and Devour. Yet, it still felt too slow - and I am wondering which would be the best DC caster for that part? I am thinking possibly an Ice Sorc with Sunburst and obviously Mass Frog on the side.

Any suggestions on how to best handle the skulls above the lava? From what I hear Sunburst will be best.
    ice sor:
    70k-90k per spell
    sunbrust kill skull
    good trash killer
    good CC for this quest
    half spell CD

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post

Turning cleric

And

Ice sorc
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    GODS

- Water savant, obviously.

- Water elemental druid doesn't do too bad (they have sunburst, too).

- Death domain cleric does well (slightly better turning).

- Sun domain cleric works great (sunbeam is godly vs undead and you can get 2 sunbursts).

- An enchantment spellsinger is useful (good buffs, especially for the casters which play a big role in THTH, as is crowd control for trash and extra healing).
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

I run a dc sorc and it's great. Sunburst for the forgewraiths and skulls, disco and other instakills for the runners. I often complete a THTH run with nearly 100 kills or something, so it's pretty effective ^^

I'd recommend going medium armor (go into EK to gain the proficiency for example), for more MRR. You can also grab the deflect arrows thingy from EK which works on the flying skulls. Makes it even easier :P

LGS HP set for some extra HP ...

In general aim for high defense next to your maxed out DCs.

Why do you need proficentcy?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1 View Post
    dont you get more prr/mrr when ur proficient?
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1 View Post
    Proficiency?

Well, if you go the "standard" route you end up in a robe on a sorc, and with a robe your MRR is capped at 50.
    With a medium armor, you can get your MRR as high as you want, I think I run nearly with 150 MRR? Not sure.
    It makes a large difference in this raid :P

I guess it's an option to run without proficiency, but you won't gain any PRR from it (I think?)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Epicstorms View Post
    Proficiency?

Well, if you go the "standard" route you end up in a robe on a sorc, and with a robe your MRR is capped at 50.
    With a medium armor, you can get your MRR as high as you want, I think I run nearly with 150 MRR? Not sure.

I guess it's an option to run without proficiency, but you won't gain any PRR from it (I think?)
    Sharn gearset for casters only has robe option unless you are wf/bf. However the set does give you +20 mrr cap which puts you at 70 mrr cap in the robe total.

A WF/BF could take mithral body and use the docent for more mrr of course with the sharn set.

Another option is to skip wearing the sharn 3 pieces and just use a slavers 5 pieces set and wear whatever armor you build for.
    Heroic - Triple All
    Racial - Triple All
    Iconic - Triple All
    Epic - Triple All

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vorachtin View Post
    Sharn gearset for casters only has robe option unless you are wf/bf. However the set does give you +20 mrr cap which puts you at 70 mrr cap in the robe total.

A WF/BF could take mithral body and use the docent for more mrr of course with the sharn set.

Another option is to skip wearing the sharn 3 pieces and just use a slavers 5 pieces set and wear whatever armor you build for.
    This is incorrect; there are medium armor caster sets for both Wizards and Sorcerers in Sharn. I recommend you use one for THTH.
    Afunkymunky/Drkivorkian, Helter Skelter on Ghallanda

Epic Ring of Spell Storing--https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...+spell+storing

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus2011 View Post
    This is incorrect; there are medium armor caster sets for both Wizards and Sorcerers in Sharn. I recommend you use one for THTH.
    Not really. There is only one single option for a caster throwing cold spells and using intel or charisma, and it is cloth.

Sets that could be used by Wizards or Sorcerers that support intel or charisma , but not cold spells:
    - Legendary Arcsteel Battlemage - +50 Artifact bonus to Electric, Fire, Force, and Repair Spell Power (this is for artificer)
    - Legendary Flamecleansed Fury - +50 Artifact bonus to Fire, Force, Light and Positive Spell Power (this is for cleric or fvs)

Sets that could be used by Wizards or Sorcerers that support cold spells but not intel or charisma:
    - Legendary Hruit's Influence - +50 Artifact bonus to Fire, Cold, Lightning, and Positive Spell Power (could be used by cleric or fvs, no idea why this set is wisdom only heavy armor with cold and lighting bonus)

The one set that could be used by Wizards or Sorcerers that supports both cold spells and intel and charisma:
    - Legendary Esoteric Initiate - +50 Artifact bonus to Universal Spell Power (this is for wizards and sorcerers)

All they need to do to fix the situation is not cap wizards and sorcerers at 50 MRR for cloth armor. It is a very stupid mistake.

Community Member

Edit - I could see a case for the healer set on caster.
    Last edited by Vorachtin; 06-10-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    Heroic - Triple All
    Racial - Triple All
    Iconic - Triple All
    Epic - Triple All

You can wear a medium sharn set and gimp yourself, that is indeed true.
    Flamecleansed for sorc. Arcmage for wizard. You loose 1 DC. Oh the horror.
    The Shadow Assassin, and all around Miserable Elitist

I'm indeed using the flamecleansed set on my sorc. I think you only lose 0.5 dc compared to the robe version, so totally worth it imo.

I must say I build for DC only, i do not build for nuking capabilities.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxtan View Post
    Not really. There is only one single option for a caster throwing cold spells and using intel or charisma, and it is cloth.
    The question was if there was a medium set for wizard/sorcerer and while I'm sorry there is not a set for every school imaginable fire/ice/electricity/acid the point still remains; there is at least 1 set of medium armor in sharn for both wizards and sorcerers. If it's not quite to your liking I might recommend just using those sets for this raid only and then swap out to something more preferable for other content.

All they need to do to fix the situation is not cap wizards and sorcerers at 50 MRR for cloth armor. It is a very stupid mistake.
    The developers have stated that the reason there was not more variety when it concerns caster gear in the sharn update is because they are saving that for a future update.

Epic Ring of Spell Storing--https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...+spell+storing

Community Member

The question was if there was a medium set for wizard/sorcerer and while I'm sorry there is not a set for every school imaginable fire/ice/electricity/acid the point still remains; there is at least 1 set of medium armor in sharn for both wizards and sorcerers. If it's not quite to your liking I might recommend just using those sets for this raid only and then swap out to something more preferable for other content.

The developers have stated that the reason there was not more variety when it concerns caster gear in the sharn update is because they are saving that for a future update.
    The conversation was about handling skulls over the lava, and ice sorcerer was a recommended good solution, but also going medium armor for the much higher MRR. It was then pointed out that only the cloth set was aligned to traditional wizard and sorcerer caster builds. Ice = cold, and sorcerer = charisma for DC. There is no sharn solution for medium armor, cold and charisma DC. The medium and heavy armor solutions are obviously aligned to other than wizard and sorcerer caster builds. The artificially applied MRR cap on cloth makes it useless for challenging play. The only thing being saved for a future update is figuring out a solution to this cloth MRR cap fiasco.

The conversation was about handling skulls over the lava, and ice sorcerer was a recommended good solution, but also going medium armor for the much higher MRR. It was then pointed out that only the cloth set was aligned to traditional wizard and sorcerer caster builds. Ice = cold, and sorcerer = charisma for DC. There is no sharn solution for medium armor, cold and charisma DC. The medium and heavy armor solutions are obviously aligned to other than wizard and sorcerer caster builds. The artificially applied MRR cap on cloth makes it useless for challenging play. The only thing being saved for a future update is figuring out a solution to this cloth MRR cap fiasco.
    Or you could think to the 1000 and run an Infernal Sovereign Tiefling Fire Sorc with Ice spells using the Flamecleansed set.

FWIW I’ve completed LN plenty of times, and LH. A blaster sorc wasn’t present or required for any of the completions. I have no doubt they would be extremely effective however.
    The Shadow Assassin, and all around Miserable Elitist

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Jumper View Post
    Or you could think to the 1000 and run an Infernal Sovereign Tiefling Fire Sorc with Ice spells using the Flamecleansed set.

FWIW I’ve completed LN plenty of times, and LH. A blaster sorc wasn’t present or required for any of the completions. I have no doubt they would be extremely effective however.
    I just did one with a scoundrel ice sorc, normal only 2 deaths in the whole group 10 minutes (couple first time puzzle guys so slow meh). Sorc is stupid good in there with dancing balls/instakills on runners, sunburst destroys entire groups of skulls and wraiths (preventing upgrade) and tossing huge icebergs with some niacs thrown in on the boss when you are bored.

Edit -even with the gimp flamecleansed set!
    Last edited by Vorachtin; 06-11-2019 at 12:28 AM.
    Heroic - Triple All
    Racial - Triple All
    Iconic - Triple All
    Epic - Triple All

Community Member

This is the conversation I was responding to:

And this was the conversation that he was responding to:

Quote Originally Posted by Epicstorms View Post
    Proficiency?

I reject your statement that my original comment was both incorrect and out of place. Quite simply I was mentioning that there are medium armor sets for both Wizards/Sorcerers that do not require the user to be WF/BF, as Vorachtin incorrectly suggested. Whether or not those sets line up 100% with your caster is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Odysseus2011; 06-11-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Community Member

I just did one with a scoundrel ice sorc, normal only 2 deaths in the whole group 10 minutes (couple first time puzzle guys so slow meh). Sorc is stupid good in there with dancing balls/instakills on runners, sunburst destroys entire groups of skulls and wraiths (preventing upgrade) and tossing huge icebergs with some niacs thrown in on the boss when you are bored.

Edit -even with the gimp flamecleansed set!
    Congrats! Sounds like great fun, looking forward to getting back to a sorcerer in a few lives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast