Thread: Melee Warlock

Community Member

Default Melee Warlock

Wondering what the best way to build a melee warlock is. I currently have a Vistani based one, however I was wondering if there is any way to improve upon it. I don't expect to go into high reaper or anything, just want something fun and fairly effective.

Community Member

Well, it's not easy.
    The bread and butter of melees is expanded critical threat and multiplier. Warlock class doesn't have access to these nice toys. So you either go vistani (as you did) or splash. The minimum level investment is bard 3, then couple classes grant bonuses with 5-6 levels (kensei, eldritch knight, thief-acrobat, barbarian,... probably others i am forgetting). Once you start splashing, you probably start spending most of your AP in non-warlock trees and you basically end up as a slightly gimped melee with past life warlock.

You can also look for some racial crit expansions... IIRC Gnome has something, IIRC it's not too great.

Also annoying is that Epic Defensive Fighting is exclusive with warlock stances, that doesn't exactly help. Doesn't matter too much for pure ES warlocks with capstone, but if you splash, you are losing out. There's absolutely no reason, thematic or class-balancing, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by amberlink View Post
    Wondering what the best way to build a melee warlock is. I currently have a Vistani based one, however I was wondering if there is any way to improve upon it. I don't expect to go into high reaper or anything, just want something fun and fairly effective.
    Why tho? Do you hate everything that is good?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    Well, it's not easy.
    The bread and butter of melees is expanded critical threat and multiplier. Warlock class doesn't have access to these nice toys. So you either go vistani (as you did) or splash. The minimum level investment is bard 3, then couple classes grant bonuses with 5-6 levels (kensei, eldritch knight, thief-acrobat, barbarian,... probably others i am forgetting). Once you start splashing, you probably start spending most of your AP in non-warlock trees and you basically end up as a slightly gimped melee with past life warlock.

You can also look for some racial crit expansions... IIRC Gnome has something, IIRC it's not too great.

Also annoying is that Epic Defensive Fighting is exclusive with warlock stances, that doesn't exactly help. Doesn't matter too much for pure ES warlocks with capstone, but if you splash, you are losing out. There's absolutely no reason, thematic or class-balancing, but it is what it is.
    Makes sense, I could see bard working maybe since it doesn’t need that much AP...My dumb thought was Sorc 5 Bard 3 Warlock 12, using hand axes for the crit and still having enough levels for the epic feats that boost eldritch blast while also being full charisma based

And it is definitely dumb that you can’t get more hp this yeah...

Community Member

Makes sense, I could see bard working maybe since it doesn’t need that much AP...My dumb thought was Sorc 5 Bard 3 Warlock 12, using hand axes for the crit and still having enough levels for the epic feats that boost eldritch blast while also being full charisma based

And it is definitely dumb that you can’t get more hp this yeah...
    This is just off the top, but maybe consider Fighter 6 instead of Sorc 5 and lose the Bard 3. Maybe Fighter 6, Monk 2, Warlock 12? T5 Kensai to stay centered with non-monk weapons and get crit range, monk stances for extra dodge or doublestrike, and Strike with No Thought for crit mult. 12 warlock would still allow Brilliance for auto-refreshing temp hitpoints based on double your CON.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zretch View Post
    This is just off the top, but maybe consider Fighter 6 instead of Sorc 5 and lose the Bard 3. Maybe Fighter 6, Monk 2, Warlock 12? T5 Kensai to stay centered with non-monk weapons and get crit range, monk stances for extra dodge or doublestrike, and Strike with No Thought for crit mult. 12 warlock would still allow Brilliance for auto-refreshing temp hitpoints based on double your CON.
    What would the fighting style be then at that point? Does sound interesting st the very least

Community Member

What would the fighting style be then at that point? Does sound interesting st the very least
    TWF, maybe longswords + knight's training, maybe Khopesh. You're just trying to build a solid base. Crit range, crit mult, good melee weapon types, enough feats to cover 4xWeapon Style feats (TWF, ITWF, GTWF, PTWF), Improved Crit, and Overwhelming Crit. Fighter itself gives armor and weapon proficiencies, and fighter + monk give extra feats. Kensai tree provides melee power in the tree, haste boost, and extra action boosts. Grab some +PRR/MRR in Stalwart for 6AP. Throw the rest in ES for even more PRR, MRR, and Brilliance. You'll be wearing robes which cap your MRR, but 2 monk gives evasion, so that helps mitigate much of the incoming spell damage.

I don't know, maybe it would be a horrible tragedy. I haven't run it through a planner at all. The big thing that's not accounted for is Stat to hit and damage. Maybe do a PDK for CHA to hit and damage dual wielding longswords with knight's training.

Default You don’t

You don’t built melee warlocks .... it a trap

Community Member

TWF, maybe longswords + knight's training, maybe Khopesh. You're just trying to build a solid base. Crit range, crit mult, good melee weapon types, enough feats to cover 4xWeapon Style feats (TWF, ITWF, GTWF, PTWF), Improved Crit, and Overwhelming Crit. Fighter itself gives armor and weapon proficiencies, and fighter + monk give extra feats. Kensai tree provides melee power in the tree, haste boost, and extra action boosts. Grab some +PRR/MRR in Stalwart for 6AP. Throw the rest in ES for even more PRR, MRR, and Brilliance. You'll be wearing robes which cap your MRR, but 2 monk gives evasion, so that helps mitigate much of the incoming spell damage.

I don't know, maybe it would be a horrible tragedy. I haven't run it through a planner at all. The big thing that's not accounted for is Stat to hit and damage. Maybe do a PDK for CHA to hit and damage dual wielding longswords with knight's training.
    At the very least Illl plug it into a planner yeah, if it looks workable I might try it

Though if it fails, what classes would be able to at least somewhat cast while still meleeling?
    Last edited by amberlink; 06-06-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

T5 Kensai to stay centered with non-monk weapons and get crit range, monk stances for extra dodge or doublestrike, and Strike with No Thought for crit mult.
    TWF, maybe longswords + knight's training
    You don't need tier-5 Kensei to be centered with longswords; you just need Whirling Steel Strike feat. That means you can take tier-5 Enlightened Spirit instead for Shining Thru + Spirit Blast; you do lose Keen Edge etc from Kensei, though. If you're PDK you can get CHA to-hit and damage from Cormyrian Knight Training.

It's not ideal DPS, but neither are melee warlocks in general.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!