Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Community Member Bolo_Grubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,534

    Default Account based progression or Horizontal progression idea

    Here is the idea.
    Allow me to donate past lives to other toons on my account when I already have 3 of that past life.

    Meaning. I have a rogue toon that already has 3 rogue past lives. I want to TR him again but a 4th rogue past life would be wasted. Unless I can give that rogue past life to another toon on same account.

    This way the same amount of xp is needed. I can only do this if I already have 3 of that past life.

    This would also allow me to keep certain toons at cap for raids and in their current roles. So my tank can remain my tank for guild raids but I can still get past lives for him with my other toon.

    Thoughts?
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo

  2. #2
    Community Member Epicstorms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Sure, I don't mind.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,377

    Default

    Good start but I dont think it goes far enough

    The problem isnt just that you cant earn PLs while you're parked at cap...the problem is having to earn PLs on an alt after you've already earned it on your main. The time investment required to do it all a second time means that newer or more casual players can never ever catch up to vets and hardcore players, and that becomes a problem as that gap widens when it comes to balancing new content, especially as power creep continues to inflate enemy stats.

    I'd much rather see it where earning 3x of a PL means all your alts on the server automatically receive 1 stack of that PL. So your first alt would only need to get 2 stacks, then your second alt would only need 1. That would preserve the grind for first life, but cut the overall grind in half for alts, and if you did three triple completionists (6 earned stacks altogether), then you'd "unlock" triple completionist for all your alts. 6 stacks of every class/race/ED/iconic is still years and years of investment in the game.

  4. #4
    Community Member SmashBang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    Here is the idea.
    Allow me to donate past lives to other toons on my account when I already have 3 of that past life.

    Meaning. I have a rogue toon that already has 3 rogue past lives. I want to TR him again but a 4th rogue past life would be wasted. Unless I can give that rogue past life to another toon on same account.

    This way the same amount of xp is needed. I can only do this if I already have 3 of that past life.

    This would also allow me to keep certain toons at cap for raids and in their current roles. So my tank can remain my tank for guild raids but I can still get past lives for him with my other toon.

    Thoughts?
    I like this idea. Allow me to add past lives to a character I normally leave at cap for raids, awesome. The game right now either TR or stay at cap. One or the other, this idea would let me do both.

  5. #5
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    Here is the idea.
    Allow me to donate past lives to other toons on my account when I already have 3 of that past life.

    Meaning. I have a rogue toon that already has 3 rogue past lives. I want to TR him again but a 4th rogue past life would be wasted. Unless I can give that rogue past life to another toon on same account.

    This way the same amount of xp is needed. I can only do this if I already have 3 of that past life.

    This would also allow me to keep certain toons at cap for raids and in their current roles. So my tank can remain my tank for guild raids but I can still get past lives for him with my other toon.

    Thoughts?
    This is not a bad idea compared to some other over-the-top stuff.

    I'd also support a "character deletion" with some sort of past-life or xp transfer to another toon. For some this would reduce the stable of alts sitting around doing nothing, for others they could try a new build without having to TR an end-game toon parked at cap and still get some benefit.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

    Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

  6. #6
    Community Member Bolo_Grubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,534

    Default

    an idea from a guildie


    you could use one and deposit a pre-determined amount XP on the stone, it would take the xp away from the toon doing it and store it on this shrine, then you could use that shrine on another toon to get the amount of xp that was stored on it. I think a xp transfer system would be far easy to code than a pastlife system.

    It would work kind of like an Epic TR, except the xp doesn't just go away...

    -- must be a lvl 30 toon, you use the xp stone, it takes 8.25 mill xp from you and puts it in a stone but you stay lvl 30. You have to get that 8.25 mill xp back before you can TR or anything.

    Then another toon on the same account can then use the xp stone to gain 8.25 mill xp, which then wipes the stone and gives a blank stone to refill.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo

  7. #7
    Community Member Mornyngstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Swanville, Maine
    Posts
    228

    Default

    As a thought problem lets assume that any usable capped toon is on its 3rd life for max point build. Also assume that that toon and a toon with max past lives have the exact same gear set. The differences amount to Heroic past lives which include +3 to Int based Skills & Use Magic Device, +30 Hit Points, +6 to saves vs Enchantment & Illusion and +3 Bard Songs/rest, ect. Along with a +2 to all ability scores if you take the feat available at lv3 and beyond. Racial gets you +1 to certain skills & +2ish to all ability scores and another +2 for cap & +12 Racial Action Points. Iconic past lives also end up giving you small bonuses (yes they do all stack up). Then there is Epic Past Lives which I consider, in my opinion, the most powerful out of all but still limited to having 4 active at a time. They are also most useful while leveling thru the heroic levels.

    Now with the differences laid out (yes not 100% written out but look to DDO Wiki for that) the 3rd life toon can achieve running most quests and raids (yes not R5+'s unless they are very good but also depends on the rest of the group working together) so that level of content is out of range normally. The rest is within range which means about 90%ish Which compared to other MMOs is very good (yes this assumes access to Expansions and especially Epic Destinies which level the playing field nicely).
    My 2 mains are Mornyngstar and Seldissan on Thelanis but I also have toons on all servers with those names. Any toon that has Mornyngstar Clan as their last name is most likely me.

  8. #8
    Grand Panjandrum Alisonique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spitting distance of Stonehenge
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    This is not a bad idea compared to some other over-the-top stuff.

    I'd also support a "character deletion" with some sort of past-life or xp transfer to another toon. For some this would reduce the stable of alts sitting around doing nothing, for others they could try a new build without having to TR an end-game toon parked at cap and still get some benefit.
    This is something that I could get behind.
    TYRS PALADIUM.....Officer. If you think there must be more to the game than pugging, come on and joinTYRS! Willibold Fighter/Wilibold monk /Tooflower monkftr/rogue /Hesteban fvs /Machiavehli druid/ Commabayou bard /Greenbolts ranger/Dramoh arti /Dragbat bard /Covemonster Paladin/A Pherzackerly wizard/Asimovsbayne barb/Pardoner/Cottelettedporc cleric/ftr /

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    This is not a bad idea compared to some other over-the-top stuff.

    I'd also support a "character deletion" with some sort of past-life or xp transfer to another toon. For some this would reduce the stable of alts sitting around doing nothing, for others they could try a new build without having to TR an end-game toon parked at cap and still get some benefit.
    I could see Past Life transfers, XP transfers could lead to people creating Iconics just to delete and give free XP to another character.

  10. #10
    Community Member Yokido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    472

    Default

    @Op & "responders"

    This idea isn't nearly as popular as it's been made out to be by the responses in this thread. Please refrain from using alts in the guise of unique players on the forum as a means of AstroTurfing.

    Making PLs transferrable creates significant game balance problems. Keeping all pls on all characters gives higher tier players more advantages, and more reasons -not- to run with pugs. This idea doesn't help new players, and we as a game need to stop catering to the minority of power gamers.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yokido View Post
    @Op & "responders"

    This idea isn't nearly as popular as it's been made out to be by the responses in this thread. Please refrain from using alts in the guise of unique players on the forum as a means of AstroTurfing.

    Making PLs transferrable creates significant game balance problems. Keeping all pls on all characters gives higher tier players more advantages, and more reasons -not- to run with pugs. This idea doesn't help new players, and we as a game need to stop catering to the minority of power gamers.
    First, I am an unique player, not al Alt (I know that exactly what an Alt would say).

    Deleting previously used characters (alts) and consolidating those Past Lives makes more sense then sharing all Past Lives (and/or Reaper) across all characters.

    One is removing characters to strengthen others (Highlander), the other is making all characters stronger.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gljosh View Post
    First, I am an unique player, not al Alt (I know that exactly what an Alt would say).

    Deleting previously used characters (alts) and consolidating those Past Lives makes more sense then sharing all Past Lives (and/or Reaper) across all characters.

    One is removing characters to strengthen others (Highlander), the other is making all characters stronger.
    One is investing in your characters and sticking with them over time, and being able to enjoy different characters with different playstyles at the same time.

    The other is creating burner 1st life characters to earn rewards for your main (at 1/3 the XP cost) but never actually playing them because it makes more sense to play your burners.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    One is investing in your characters and sticking with them over time, and being able to enjoy different characters with different playstyles at the same time.

    The other is creating burner 1st life characters to earn rewards for your main (at 1/3 the XP cost) but never actually playing them because it makes more sense to play your burners.
    Counterpoint-one is playing a single character that "earns" power and is "shared" to a bunch of other characters (you can only play 1 character at a time and if power is "shared"). Pretty easy to "earn" Racial past lives on some builds then others. One past life becomes how ever many Alts you have.

    The other is to give the earned power of other characters to 1 other character. One past life stayed one past life.

    Also, your burner example would create more characters at varying levels, which sounds a lot like Alts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload