Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yokido View Post
    Game balance is an issue, and (according to the devs) it is even a -major- issue. If player A can suddenly use his x3 completionist past lives on any of his alts, do you think this might make things unfair for someone who doesn't have x3 completionist, or for someone who doesn't use alts?

If the idea is to get people to pug more, then perhaps we shouldn't be supporting people's ability to only play with their tight-knit groups. If people feel they can switch between alts more readily by keeping all PLs, why should they ever get a pug for a healer when they can just switch? Or a cc caster? Or a tank? Why do entire guilds run raids short-man on the hardest difficulty, and then all simultaneously switch to their alts to do it again, short-man, with not one pug?

I've only seen issues with regard to alts, but that's just my take.

#Onecharacterforlyfe
    Why on earth would it throw off game balance to have more people have access to what some people already have? The game is actually imbalanced because of that huge disparity, not more balanced. Telling people how to play and who ti play with is a totally different and entirely unrelated suggestion (and not a good one, either). If you want to have #Onecharacterforlyfe, that's your call. But to force that on everyone else, particularly when we already invested in those alts for years, is ridiculous.

Also, others have mentioned it before, but please stop making your posts green. They are really hard to read.
    Graceana, assassin ~ Xiya, tempest ~ Shinshi, shintao ~ Ayaxi, thief-acrobat ~ Saravi, cleric ~ Sanziana, arcane archer ~ Kyudojin, mechanic
    Talvi, caster druid ~ Zinzie, shiradi sorc ~ Kishori, spellsinger ~ Faunia, wolf druid ~ Viven, warchanter ~ Jianqiao, ninja spy
    Cliodna, wizard ~ Serenwyn, swashbuckler ~ Duisteri, shuribuild ~ Mahuika, warlock ~ Narabali, tank ~ Tabbithah, artificer
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Helmet View Post
    Honestly, I am glad to say I will save money and save it for my kid... at least Legos do not change overnight so that the pieces don't fit together anymore..

@Grace

Honestly I think it's just 'cause folks don't like the change in color. The option's available in this forum to do so, so I shall. In the past it was dark green, which I myself had a hard time reading, so now it's forest green, which I think is a fair compromise.

Who told people their PL grind/farm would be accessible on all of their characters? No-one. This isn't a bait and switch scenario. People were well aware there was no chance in H*** that their past lives on character X would get to go onto character Y.

In the end, it boils down to the question if the character merits progression or if it is the player who plays and earns progression.
    Alone from this statement its already quite clear that I have the strong opinion that objectively and evidently it is the player who plays and merits progression and with this the "right" to play a stronger character.

For this reason, I think it makes a lot of sense if we would have account based progression in DDO.

My feeling is that players who are against account based and with this player based progression have more a problem that other players could get something "for free".
    Therefore such players tell you this is asking for an "easy button" etc.
    But all this is basically objectively and evidently nonsense, every player has the option to play only ONE character.
    And if you decide to play several characters you can do this obviously only if you spread your effort and each character is weaker as one character could be.
    While account based progression would simply make it possible to play several characters the same way as if you play one character.

As I said at the start the question at the end is if you can tolerate when other players play several characters with the same power as one character.
    Or even if you like the idea to have such an option for yourself because it provides maybe a lot more flexibility and maybe more fun for your own DDO playing.
    "Act according to a maxim which can be adopted at the same time as a universal law."
    -Immanuel Kant-

"Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has."
    -René Descartes-

[color=forestgreen]@Chai

Although it's getting more off-topic I will humor you some. Dead Frontier is a game I played often that only gives you one character per account although all items are freely trade-able/gift-able. Otherwise Runescape was another I'd of mentioned, and then I was going to mention some of the other games where progression is entirely account-based and not character based at all (FPS games like Warrock), or games like League of Legends.
    I also find that in Runescape for instance, players have multiple accounts to get around the 1 character per account limit. The f2p servers and sub servers have completely different METAs due to what can and cant be earned in each, so people are only really limited by their own annoyance tolerance for how many email accounts they want to have.

While in LoL & Warrock you may use many, many characters, you don't really "level up" those characters. You level up your account, and in this way, it's not a "toon" progression system as we know it here in DDO. Maybe it's disqualified if this is the case, but either way, an honorable mention for this topic.

Yep, in those games you are doing what is being asked for here, leveling up an account rather than one character.

Now, in DDO I think they can give us this by degree. They can provide a system or two that is account based while others are still character based. We already have one account based system (quest loot being BTA). Pick one other system, say Reaper XP (or any other 1 system) and make that account based, while keeping the reincarnation stuff character based. People will still argue there wont be enough to do? I would disagree with that. DDO has enough to do where they could easily give us some account based progression while still maintaining quite a bit of character grind.

To add to the discussion, I want to provide some generalized numbers that my TR group and I have calculated for our own benefit. I run with a static group each week, and we are currently working on racial past lives and reaper xp by running mid reapers at level. We are experienced players with lots of past lives already under our belt (four being heroic completionist and two triple), which speeds things considerably. We have invested in XP tomes and XP pots. Here are our numbers on average:

Heroic/Racial (1-20): 20 hours of gameplay x 78 past lives = 1,560 Hours
    Epic (20-30): 10 hours of gameplay x 48 past lives = 480 Hours

Total: 2,040 Hours or 85 days

Now, I'm not sure what the average playtime of a DDO player is, but regardless of one's time commitment 2,040 hours is significant. The time investment for a less experienced player would increase dramatically. I understand arguments for keeping past lives character based, but they fall short of convincing me that past lives shouldn't be account based. The days of alt play, at least for me, are over. I will not invest this much time in another character--I can't. The grind hill is too steep, and I wouldn't even begin to climb if I were at the bottom.

I would love to play more of my characters in the content I enjoy, high-end reaper. While it is possible, it's not really feasible. 126 past lives (not including iconics) do make a difference--a big one. I hope a solution is proposed sooner rather than later.
    Epicsoul of Orien

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Now, in DDO I think they can give us this by degree. They can provide a system or two that is account based while others are still character based. We already have one account based system (quest loot being BTA). Pick one other system, say Reaper XP (or any other 1 system) and make that account based, while keeping the reincarnation stuff character based. People will still argue there wont be enough to do? I would disagree with that. DDO has enough to do where they could easily give us some account based progression while still maintaining quite a bit of character grind.
    I think the only system this would even be considered to be allowed on would be for Reaper XP. Otto's Boxes are just too big a revenue source, and reaper is the only type of experience not granted by some form of box. Reaper XP being account based wouldn't slow down sales of XP pots, and I'm not sure how many accounts would be max Reaper XP if all alts were consolidated, but I doubt it's very many. New classes, new EDs, and new races would keep people on the treadmill and there shouldn't be incentives for SSG to increase reaper tree power to keep people in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zretch View Post
    I think the only system this would even be considered to be allowed on would be for Reaper XP. Otto's Boxes are just too big a revenue source, and reaper is the only type of experience not granted by some form of box. Reaper XP being account based wouldn't slow down sales of XP pots, and I'm not sure how many accounts would be max Reaper XP if all alts were consolidated, but I doubt it's very many. New classes, new EDs, and new races would keep people on the treadmill and there shouldn't be incentives for SSG to increase reaper tree power to keep people in the game.
    I agree.

Then from there if they put in a new system in the future they can consider it being account based as well. If people think the grind is ginormous already, wait til the next system or two are introduced. Right now might actually be the breaking point, where there are still *some* folks who claim it isnt that bad, but even the usual suspects wouldnt be able to defend yet another full system or two being introduced additively and on a per character basis.

This isn't a bait and switch scenario.
    I disagree. Vehemently. When I joined this game in 2009 only heroic True Reincarnation existed, none of it was required to get into groups and most players had a STABLE of alts. To do 3 lives on each alt for a 36 pt build was considered "enough" for most characters. Completionist was significantly lower than it is today because there were fewer classes but even in 2009 most people weren't trying for it on every alt because it was considered unnecessary especially as many classes are feat starved and it takes a feat slot.

Fast forward to today with Heroic Reincarnation expanded by more classes (expected in 2009 so no switch there), the addition of Epic reincarnation (2013 when the vast majority of people were wiser than me and gave up on most of their alts) and the simultaneous addition of Iconic reincarnation, now the power a single character could receive if you focused on just one versus splitting your time, money, and effort over several became tremendous. This was the switch. Adding grind system on top of grind system on top of grind system unexpectedly and now they've added another one with Racial Reincarnation. And lets not fool ourselves Reaper is another character based grind system even if its not reincarnation based. I doubt it will stop there; not if they can think of something else to attach reincarnation benefits to and add another layer of grind to keep the ones with the most leisure time and money occupied.

The game was not initially balanced around having all these character exclusive benefits but that has most certainly changed.

Its all starting to look like some dizzying M.C. Escher print.

Look you don't want to change to any account based systems? Fine. Then do what I proposed and place my earlier warning in giant, bold-faced type before any new or returning players get involved with DDO. Because they should be warned the goal post has moved, and moved again, and again to the point its no longer on the playing field.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Not signed, when I first started playing (Pre Motu), you played through the game to "earn" a past life (no Otto boxes), players had alts for high level raiding due to timers (pre Pay to Win timers), and singular focused toons were the dominate type.

Since that time DDO added; Epic Destinies, Epic Reincarnation, Iconic Races, Racial Reincarnation, added 10 more character levels, two "skip game boxes", two "skip raid timers", Reaper, a weapon XP system (Sentient), Tomes pass through Reincarnations, Universal Trees, Raid Runes, Skill Tomes, XP Tomes, two AP tomes (Racial and Universal), Champions, PRR, MRR, Legendary Setting, Remnant Tomes, Ability Tomes up to +8, Classes, Races, and more classes/races/Epic Past Lives.

From the beginning the single character is the focus in game (hence the most powerful items are "bound to character"), not the account.

This isn't a bait and switch scenario. People were well aware there was no chance in H*** that their past lives on character X would get to go onto character Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    I disagree. Vehemently. When I joined this game in 2009 only heroic True Reincarnation existed, none of it was required to get into groups and most players had a STABLE of alts. To do 3 lives on each alt for a 36 pt build was considered "enough" for most characters. Completionist was significantly lower than it is today because there were fewer classes but even in 2009 most people weren't trying for it on every alt because it was considered unnecessary especially as many classes are feat starved and it takes a feat slot.

Fast forward to today
    So admittedly the change has taken place gradually over the past 9 years (or more), and you think that is bait and switch? Turn off the "fast forward", watch in real time.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

My suggestion is: First ten lives get you to 20 needing only 1.9 million (instead of just the 1st life).

Easy change to code. Helps new players and alts, doesn't change anything for vet main characters who already have more than 10 PLs.

Still have to do work on each character, but faster at first to help catch up.

10 heroic/racial PLs is enough to get a character in decent shape, and contribute strongly. Especially if they grab some reaper xp along the way.

Of course, it would also help if reaper hp and racial PLs were designed better. Heroic and Epic PLs are front-loaded, reaper abilities are front-loaded, but reaper hp is evenly-loaded, and racial PLs are back-loaded.

But I don't expect them to change those, so making the first 10 PLs twice as fast is a decent compromise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

[color=forestgreen]@Grace

Honestly I think it's just 'cause folks don't like the change in color. The option's available in this forum to do so, so I shall. In the past it was dark green, which I myself had a hard time reading, so now it's forest green, which I think is a fair compromise.
    Very strange that you make it harder for people to read your ideas. I thought maybe you didn't realize how hard it was read your posts.

But if you do realize and still persist, I'm afraid I will have to stop reading your posts.
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

This.

2-6 heroic PLs gives you 75% of the power of the heroic TR system.

Still plenty of people who were willing to do 20-30 more for that last 25%, but it certainly wasn't necessary for characters to do well in any group.

Even Epic PLs are front-loaded.

Reaper abilities are fairly front-loaded.

Racial PLs were a terrible design, completely and heavily back-loaded, and reaper hp isn't done right either. Reaper hp should scale down as well the more reaper APs you get.

Fast forward to today with Heroic Reincarnation expanded by more classes (expected in 2009 so no switch there), the addition of Epic reincarnation (2013 when the vast majority of people were wiser than me and gave up on most of their alts) and the simultaneous addition of Iconic reincarnation, now the power a single character could receive if you focused on just one versus splitting your time, money, and effort over several became tremendous. This was the switch. Adding grind system on top of grind system on top of grind system unexpectedly and now they've added another one with Racial Reincarnation. And lets not fool ourselves Reaper is another character based grind system even if its not reincarnation based. I doubt it will stop there; not if they can think of something else to attach reincarnation benefits to and add another layer of grind to keep the ones with the most leisure time and money occupied.

The game was not initially balanced around having all these character exclusive benefits but that has most certainly changed.

Its all starting to look like some dizzying M.C. Escher print.

Look you don't want to change to any account based systems? Fine. Then do what I proposed and place my earlier warning in giant, bold-faced type before any new or returning players get involved with DDO. Because they should be warned the goal post has moved, and moved again, and again to the point its no longer on the playing field.
    This is why people are complaining about the way the system is designed - from strictly a game play perspective.

Then start discussing the "paid" perspective.

Now, folks who had a stable of alts, each of which had a time AND money investment, now either have to spend more money to make those current, or abandon them in favor of keeping a lesser number of alts current. Their disposable time has not changed, so they are unable to spend more time making them current. What did change was the amount of grind in the game.

From 6 years ago:
    The issue with paying to attain character power faster is when the market audience is saturated with the current level of purchasable character power the solution needed to continue to make money on these items is to increase the amount of character power available. This means adding a higher benefit (+4 tome sales slow down, start selling +5s) as well as adding more grind (different types of past lives, or increasing the number of stack-able past lives). Not concerned about p2w unbalancing the game? Those of you who complain about power creep should be VERY concerned.
    This is quite literally, a great formula for declining customer satisfaction. Devaluing previous time investments. Devaluing previous money investments.

There are still a few usual suspects who defend the state of stack-able character power, only because their line has not been crossed yet. Most everyone else's line on this has been crossed (where their disposable time cannot keep up with keeping every alt they once invested time/money into current to today's META). This results in people playing less alts, except for those in the big spender market audience, who continue to purchase grind mitigation.
    Last edited by Chai; 06-19-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    So admittedly the change has taken place gradually over the past 9 years (or more), and you think that is bait and switch? Turn off the "fast forward", watch in real time.
    I have been playing since 2009. I have been playing in real time. My leisure time in the world has NOT changed but the amount of time I must spend to keep each alt decent has exponentially increased with each new character progression system. Can you give me more time? No? Without more time I can neither play more to catch up nor earn more to pay to catch up. Time is the resource that is finite for me. When only heroic reincarnation existed my leisure time was fine for the amount of grind necessary for a stable of alts, that is no longer true. This is very much like my college scholarship. When it was initially granted, it paid ~70% of tuition and fees. But each year they kept increasing tuition and fees so by my last year my scholarship paid ~35%. Luckily, I graduated a semester early but some people had to go 5 years to get their Bachelors. If I had known all these character based progression systems would be added, I likely would have told my hubby no and never joined DDO in the first place because I would have known I would never have enough leisure time nor enough disposable income to keep a stable of characters decent.

So please excuse me for being bitter that while I was playing the goal post has been moved beyond my ability to ever manage a goal.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

I have been playing since 2009. I have been playing in real time. My leisure time in the world has NOT changed but the amount of time I must spend to keep each alt decent has exponentially increased with each new character progression system. Can you give me more time? No? Without more time I can neither play more to catch up nor earn more to pay to catch up. Time is the resource that is finite for me. When only heroic reincarnation existed my leisure time was fine for the amount of grind necessary for a stable of alts, that is no longer true. This is very much like my college scholarship. When it was initially granted, it paid ~70% of tuition and fees. But each year they kept increasing tuition and fees so by my last year my scholarship paid ~35%. Luckily, I graduated a semester early but some people had to go 5 years to get their Bachelors. If I had known all these character based progression systems would be added, I likely would have told my hubby no and never joined DDO in the first place because I would have known I would never have enough leisure time nor enough disposable income to keep a stable of characters decent.

So please excuse me for being bitter that while I was playing the goal post has been moved beyond my ability to ever manage a goal.
    Then you misunderstood the term "bait and switch", which is what a poster said didn't happen and you said you "vehemently disagree" with.

Games morph and change over time, this is natural. You played along with those changes. Had the level cap never gone past 10, none of us would be here now.

Now if you wanted to use the analogy of boiling a frog by slowly warming up the water, versus dropping it into a hot pan, that would make more sense than "bait and switch" over a 9+ year period of time.

As far as "moving goal posts", it's not like one day you were happily playing a few L10 characters and suddenly required 135 past lives and reaper points the next day.

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.

Community Member

I just want 2 characters sharing heroic, racial and epic progression. 3 or 4 would be better but not necessary. I posted previously in another similar thread, f2p no sharing, premium 3 sharing, vip 5 sharing.

Reaper XP should never be shared because that was introduced to give people (power gamers or people who are just so good at playing this game) a challenge.

WHY do i want or 'deserve' this?

Simply because we have more to do at lev 30 now. I'd love to be able to park my multiple pl character (not as multi life as many have) at
    lev 30 and enjoy doing raids, difficult and new content. Actually play this game with my character that I've 'worked' so hard on improving.
    But no if I do this my character falls behind the curve within a very short time.

And before someone says. NO it's not feasible to just park my main and work on an alt because that's years of playing to improve an alt. Just beyond even thinking about.

It's so annoying. I despair when I reincarnate and see raids or new content LFGs. Poor me falling behind yet again with new gear and moreover by the time I've got back to L30 suddenly those dreamed of raids are no longer run so much if at all.

People keep on about end game, well we have it now but errr no we don't because the game of the TR system. It's not letting people just have an end game character to 'end game with'

Would this help improve the game, grouping or raids? I think so.
    Would this make more money for DDO? I think so. Tomes, pots etc would still be bought.
    Would this make players return and stay ? I think so. Yeah, "I can do raids or new content and still progress when lfms are sparse"

I gave up on alts a few years ago because quite simply I like many don't have the time, skill or friends to group with to make leveling uber-fast.
    I like many love this game. Want to enjoy and have fun without being penalized.

I'd pay for this or better still this should be part of the highest expansion package.

Make it so!
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

Character. Alivef 1 x heroic completionist (+a few more pl's) 1 x epic completionist, and some iconic and racial pl's
    Server Thelanis

Community Member

Then you misunderstood the term "bait and switch", which is what a poster said didn't happen and you said you "vehemently disagree" with.

Games morph and change over time, this is natural. You played along with those changes. Had the level cap never gone past 10, none of us would be here now.

Now if you wanted to use the analogy of boiling a frog by slowly warming up the water, versus dropping it into a hot pan, that would make more sense than "bait and switch" over a 9+ year period of time.

As far as "moving goal posts", it's not like one day you were happily playing a few L10 characters and suddenly required 135 past lives and reaper points the next day.
    a slow-roll bait-and-switch is still .. wait for it .. a bait-and-switch

Community Member

@Chai

snip

@Grace

Game balance is an issue, and (according to the devs) it is even a -major- issue. If player A can suddenly use his x3 completionist past lives on any of his alts, do you think this might make things unfair for someone who doesn't have x3 completionist, or for someone who doesn't use alts?

If the idea is to get people to pug more, then perhaps we shouldn't be supporting people's ability to only play with their tight-knit groups. If people feel they can switch between alts more readily by keeping all PLs, why should they ever get a pug for a healer when they can just switch? Or a cc caster? Or a tank? Why do entire guilds run raids short-man on the hardest difficulty, and then all simultaneously switch to their alts to do it again, short-man, with not one pug?

I've only seen issues with regard to alts, but that's just my take.

#Onecharacterforlyfe
    I agree that private groups don't help the 'mmo-feel' but do you think your example would have a greater effect on grouping rather than letting the 'have nots' have more viable toons to be able to participate in any pug's that do make it through the exclusivety net? In your previous post you also mentioned you are against power creep (as am I) but this is not power creep : one can only play one character at a time. Power creep is increasing the total limit of available power. Also your hashtag kind of validates every single person's point of view in the opposing ideas camp...

Quote Originally Posted by ChadB123 View Post
    To add to the discussion, I want to provide some generalized numbers that my TR group and I have calculated for our own benefit. I run with a static group each week, and we are currently working on racial past lives and reaper xp by running mid reapers at level. We are experienced players with lots of past lives already under our belt (four being heroic completionist and two triple), which speeds things considerably. We have invested in XP tomes and XP pots. Here are our numbers on average:

Heroic/Racial (1-20): 20 hours of gameplay x 78 past lives = 1,560 Hours
    Epic (20-30): 10 hours of gameplay x 48 past lives = 480 Hours

Total: 2,040 Hours or 85 days

Now, I'm not sure what the average playtime of a DDO player is, but regardless of one's time commitment 2,040 hours is significant. The time investment for a less experienced player would increase dramatically. I understand arguments for keeping past lives character based, but they fall short of convincing me that past lives shouldn't be account based. The days of alt play, at least for me, are over. I will not invest this much time in another character--I can't. The grind hill is too steep, and I wouldn't even begin to climb if I were at the bottom.

I would love to play more of my characters in the content I enjoy, high-end reaper. While it is possible, it's not really feasible. 126 past lives (not including iconics) do make a difference--a big one. I hope a solution is proposed sooner rather than later.
    I made a rough calculation in another thread compared to a 'hard-core' player (high difficulty, stable social circle, paid augments like xp pots, many pl's, etc.) similar to yourself and was averaging 7 times longer so for me, your example would probably be nearer 595 days! o:O

You are technically right but regardless of the terminology, the difference in the incidence (which varies depending on the 'type' of player) is immense between a single toon player and an alt player. It could be argued that noticing said difference is delayed in an alt player too...

Quote Originally Posted by Pyed-Pyper View Post
    a slow-roll bait-and-switch is still .. wait for it .. a bait-and-switch
    No... wait for it.... It's not.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast