Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 284
  1. #121
    Community Member Mglaxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    What? People are joining LFMs where they are paying shards for others to pass them loot while they run together? *shakes head* That's awful. I don't think a loot based economy would work well because of how swiftly and how often loot gets power-creeped out of relevance.
    I used to see people paying platinum now I see people offering shards from time to time
    Main 100+ Lives ( 42/42 HTR - 15/21 ITR - 36/36 ETR - 10/14 RAP - 28/36 RTR - 82/154 ), Jynxer - Completionist ( 22/42 HTR - 7/21 ITR - 11/36 ETR - 2/14 RAP - 1/36 RTR - 34/154 ), SoulDuster - Completionist - Paladin ( 15x HTR 3x ETR 20/154 ) BlakReign - 1st Life Reaper https://ibb.co/album/k1hMqa https://ibb.co/album/g0yuAa https://ibb.co/album/bXjCWF

  2. #122
    Community Member Yokido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    472

    Default

    @Aelon
    @Chai

    Regarding alts. I see major technological advances in gaming as something to be appreciated. It wasn't many years ago, that if you played any RPG, online or not, that you couldn't have more than 1-3 characters. I'm just trying to remind folks to keep things in perspective with the grand scheme of things.

  3. #123
    Community Member lyrecono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    What? People are joining LFMs where they are paying shards for others to pass them loot while they run together? *shakes head* That's awful. I don't think a loot based economy would work well because of how swiftly and how often loot gets power-creeped out of relevance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mglaxix View Post
    I used to see people paying platinum now I see people offering shards from time to time
    The entire shard system is in place because playees were using real life money (paypall&gift cards) to buy loot in raids and certain quests(bauble for example). I have seen an sos shard trade name for 500 usd. Using 3rd party voip software.
    Instead of doing something positive, the devs saw it as an excuse to squeeze more cash out of players by making some gear hard to aquire, the tiered n/h/e gear, wich for a whille got some legit players to buy shards to te the best gear, update after update, those costs went up and up, not at all helped by the duping bug flooding the market with mad stacks of shards.
    Once people burner out on buying the latest gear and finding out that the prices skyrocketed du to exploits, many of them stopped using the shard system.
    An open market and exploits ruined the economy because the devs didn't put a hard cap on prices (that posting fee is to lucarative i guess). It's a broken system i refuse to use, due to the moral implications. Exploit after exploit (there were 3 major shard duping exploits) there is no way to know if the buyer or seller is an exploiter or a victim of ssg's hype train.

    Even now i hear complaints about the new droprate of mats and sharn saga rewards, i'm honnestly glad, those that could do the hard setting have their ing and use hose that can't for what ever reason aren't enticed to spend too much money to bid against exploiters.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

  4. #124
    Community Member Grimtooth333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    I'm sorry but that is patently ridiculous to me. I PAY for extra character slots. I PAY for extra bank and inventory slots on my alts. I PAY for XP and other tomes on my alts. I PAY for races and classes NOT to play them one after another on a single character but to build DIFFERENT characters with different play-styles and backstories. I PAY for cosmetics for my alts. I bought the Shared Bank and many upgrades thereof, I bought the crafting storage and several upgrades thereof. No one is giving me all that for free to constantly make new alts. Alts are not a generous hand out. If DDO had begun as a single character per player game I would never have joined it at all.

    NO. Account based benefits are not a generosity they are a selling-point, a hook, an incentive to get involved in the game in the first place. If they were as generous as you say Shared Bank would be free.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    (No longer replying to the above poster but a general comment to all and sundry.)

    Maybe what they should do is put in bold-face type somewhere every new and returning player can see, a big warning that says this:

    You as a player and person in the real world have a choice. You may play one character through many, many (seriously ~150 now if you add the new ED and new class on the way) lives and eventually have a character of godly powers or you may choose to DIVIDE your time, effort, and spending on multiple characters and always feel a little behind or like you'll never catch up depending on your subjective feelings, your amount of playing time, and the number of alts you choose to play. You are also welcome to spend to catch up one life at a time (on one character at a time) in what $50 increments?

    Yeah... if this warning showed up when you went to download the game... well I doubt the results would be good for the game.

    You can argue whatever you want however you want but when all is said and done behind every single character I play... its still me spending my time, my money, earning whatever XP, achievement, unlock, life, loot... me always me.
    Agreed 100%, this is how I feel as well.

    I have yet to see an argument or plan from the opposition to the PL/RPL/IPL/EPL and Reaper account-wide unlock argument that is convincing. There are oodles and oodles of posts saying things against it, but not many with actual substance in the counterpoint department. And the few real ideas floated by the opposition are not quite helping address the issue for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yokido View Post
    Regarding alts. I see major technological advances in gaming as something to be appreciated. It wasn't many years ago, that if you played any RPG, online or not, that you couldn't have more than 1-3 characters. I'm just trying to remind folks to keep things in perspective with the grand scheme of things.
    I have to disagree. This game is over 13 tears old, and from the beginning I'm quite sure there was more than 1-3 character slots available, I remember having a few more than 3 capped at level 10. The original single-player SW:KOTOR and its sequel also had no real limit, that I recall, on the amount of characters created and those games are also quite old. Having multiple characters or alts in a game is not a recent thing or a 'major technological advancement'. Sorry.
    Last edited by Grimtooth333; 06-18-2019 at 01:13 AM.
    Khyber

  5. #125
    The Hatchery Wipey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yokido View Post
    Regarding alts. I see major technological advances in gaming as something to be appreciated. It wasn't many years ago, that if you played any RPG, online or not, that you couldn't have more than 1-3 characters. I'm just trying to remind folks to keep things in perspective with the grand scheme of things.
    It's not like we had many character slots since Diablo 2 ( 2000, had about five different paladins alone heh ) or World of Warcraft ( 2004 ?)

    Lotro, Wow, Poe, Diablo, Conan, Tera, even Eve. That's just what I played.

    Multiple playthroughs / options / builds in single player games since Baldur's Gate, Deus Ex or Neverwinter Nights twenty years ago.

    Major advance, right. smh.
    Personally I am down to three from 10 or 12 active in DDO. Should play just one.

    Hey, everybody, you can try this 13 years old game with 300 people on and outdated graphics, ui and the worst inventory management ever. Just need to invest hundreds or thousands hours to have alrightish character first. ONE character.
    The combat and character creation is the best on the market still. Oh, you are not interested ?
    Last edited by Wipey; 06-18-2019 at 04:10 AM.

    Shahang (hjeal me), Wipekin (tempest), Nezhat (barbie) Ghallanda/Devourer

  6. #126
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Not picking on you Wizza, but your comment lets me ask a question again that I have asked before (and as far as I can recall has not been addressed).

    What is "grind" versus what is "playing the game"? I am still trying to figure out the actual difference other people see.

    My opinion would be "grind" = something you HAVE to do, but don't want to do. Playing the game is what you want to do.

    With that line of thought/reasoning, most grind is self-inflicted IMO.

    For instance, I enjoy melee classes and play them about 90% of the time. I have played and enjoyed the occasional ranged toon as well, and while it's okay, it's not as fun, but not what I would consider "grind" to play them. However, playing a caster of any sort is painful for me (including a non-battle cleric) and if I HAD to play one for a past life feat then I would consider that "grind".

    Running the same quest 100 times to get some rare named item would be a "grind" as well, if it's just something I "want" so my toon can be "better", but if I am fine with a less powerful, but still very good, item of the same type then if I "grind" out that quest 100 times, it is self-inflicted.

    Just my 2 cents.
    Hi Fedora,
    You have basically answered your own question! I would say however that the degree to which that answer is valid changes from one player to another. You say you dislike casters whilst I love them - this would mean, in your eyes, I should be fine with playing wizard, cleric, fvs, warlock, sorcerer, druid and possibly arti? I actually find fvs and sorcerer boring, arti...meh and loath warlocks.

    An example : my fave build is my pale-trapper - you might remember that my aims for viable alt play are very low but this is my 'main' so I would 'need' to do 3xfvs, 3xsorc, 3xcleric, 3xwiz. At least half of that is grind for me. If you think that my caster cleric has just done 3 cleric lives then it becomes even less appealing for me to do another 3 on my main (See my next example for the other elements)

    My most recent example : I didnt enjoy my recent sorc life on my druid so I quit and only did one - power-creep will probably make her redundant within the year or so at cap/raid play and then I'll abandon her.
    Now most people will scoff at this statement but we need to remember that this discourse is about compounding effects - if I'm 2DC short from 2xsorc pl's and I add that to : not buying tomes for an alt, not entering into rtr's unless they frontload them, not dedicating the toon to accruing reaper points, not using btc crafting systems, etc. Now those 2dc's hurt proportionally much more...when I open an lfm what difficulty do you think that toon is gonna need to be able to handle? By the time I get her there, what will be the overall power of the people she felt redundant besides before?!
    Basically I want to play my toons as I want them built, otherwise it's grind. That new race potion is kind of on the right lines.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    I don't remember who in the thread brought it up but someone made the best argument I've heard for account based reaper:

    It is a pure meta layer, there is no role play, it is completely immersion breaking, it is about the player, and should be account based.
    Also it is the one that you can choose not to spend if you wanna play with a new friend.
    I'm not entirely convinced by the 'all account based' point of view but reaper points MUST be account based. The fact that a higher difficulty is set up to make it easier to play over time is difficult to stomach as is; over time it is nothing but a divisive force in the community...or nail in the coffin for a certain part of it.

  7. #127
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wipey View Post
    Hey, everybody, you can try this 13 years old game with 300 people on and outdated graphics, ui and the worst inventory management ever. Just need to invest hundreds or thousands hours to have alrightish character first. ONE character.
    The combat and character creation is the best on the market still. Oh, you are not interested ?

    DDO still has the best character customization I have seen in MMOs. Both GW2 and ESO have some OK character customization (via gear and skill trees), but far less even compared to the post class passes DDO (and decline of multiclass).

    In fact, DDO does not feel like a MMO at all, to me, and I do not think it was conceived as such; it looks more like an online RPG.

    • Everything is instanced -- no open world feeling, nor exploration.
    • There is no PVP worth mentioning.
    • No mob grinding, or other forms of open world grinding.
    • Quests are the main draw, and they are hand crafted (little to no fetch this fetch that)


    The problems begin, IMHO, when they want to transform it into a MMO. Or rather, use the same tricks MMOs have been using to extent longevity / keep players. That is, grinding:

    • XP grinding (ESO CP points)
    • Ingredient grinding (ESO)
    • Loot / upgrade grinds (LOTRO)



    Grinding custom made quests and raids that belong to an RPG feels, to me, blasphemous. In addition to the fact that I find the vast majority of DDO quests to have extremely poor replay value; once the mystery is solved, cut scenes, ambushes, and dialogues feel like a nuisance.

    Loot grinds have been a lot less the focus of DDO, specially since MOTU. Vertical leaps in power, decent catch up mechanics, and other sources of power (xp grinds) have kept it that way. The loot grind is not what is keeping new / returning players away from the game.

    For an online game (hardly MMO) designed like a lobby for multiplayer RPG like quests, there has been a disproportionate emphasis on XP grinds. As we all know, XP grinds (at least the way designed it in DDO) become a massive grind wall that keeps people away from the game. Why? Because while loot grinds are shorter (in time required), and subject to obsolescence (new shinies), advantages from XP grinds stay far more relevant and accumulate. Back loading the grinds (racials) has just added salt to the wound.

    I think it is quite obvious that the producer and devs of this game are well aware of the issues that the massive grind wall has created. They simply choose to milk the remaining players over keeping the game open to returning players or even new players (or alts). So, yell all you want, nothing is going to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by retrojet View Post
    Why are there entire pure classes still that are completely unusable [...]. Why are there entire trees that no one will ever invest in? Why are there entire destinies that no one will ever play in? Why aren't these questions even on the developer radar screen?

  8. #128
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ned_ellis View Post
    Hi Fedora,
    You have basically answered your own question! I would say however that the degree to which that answer is valid changes from one player to another. You say you dislike casters whilst I love them - this would mean, in your eyes, I should be fine with playing wizard, cleric, fvs, warlock, sorcerer, druid and possibly arti? I actually find fvs and sorcerer boring, arti...meh and loath warlocks.

    An example : my fave build is my pale-trapper - you might remember that my aims for viable alt play are very low but this is my 'main' so I would 'need' to do 3xfvs, 3xsorc, 3xcleric, 3xwiz. At least half of that is grind for me. If you think that my caster cleric has just done 3 cleric lives then it becomes even less appealing for me to do another 3 on my main (See my next example for the other elements)

    Hey ned_ellis:

    You bring up some good points, and I can't disagree with too much. The point being I don't think a lot of people complaining are on the same wave length or thought process as you and I are, they just see more stuff to get, assume they must have it, and so complain about the grind.


    Quote Originally Posted by ned_ellis View Post
    if I'm 2DC short from 2xsorc pl's .
    Hey, I think you just came up with a good burn:

    "That guy is a couple DC's short of a first lifer"....
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

    Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

  9. #129
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Hey ned_ellis:

    You bring up some good points, and I can't disagree with too much. The point being I don't think a lot of people complaining are on the same wave length or thought process as you and I are, they just see more stuff to get, assume they must have it, and so complain about the grind.
    I'm sure for some that's true which means a 'solution' or even 'band-aid' needs to not be too disruptive to the current status-quo : front-loading rtr's I don't think affects anyone. Reaper points account based maybe (for those with 'capped reaper' on multpile toons)? A one-off chance for cannibalising alts for those that feel they entered into one game and are now playing another? Possibly...?


    [/QUOTE]Hey, I think you just came up with a good burn:

    "That guy is a couple DC's short of a first lifer".... [/QUOTE]

    Gonna tr him into a dwarf!

  10. #130
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ned_ellis View Post
    front-loading rtr's I don't think affects anyone. Reaper points account based maybe (for those with 'capped reaper' on multpile toons)? A one-off chance for cannibalising alts for those that feel they entered into one game and are now playing another? Possibly...?

    I agree with all of those ideas. I have a link in my sig to some other things I think would help both alts and new players, w/o angering vets and w/o making the gap any bigger.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

    Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

  11. #131
    Community Member Ralmeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    I wanted to add my two coppers to the conversation...I'll be really surprised if any changes are made to the past life and reaper XP system (i.e. making them account wide) because the developers know this keeps people grinding away. Personally, I would be okay with making Reaper points account wide because to be honest I'm really only going to grind Reaper points on my main, and I'm just not going to bother with this on any alts as I'm using my alts to be parked at various levels, for certain tasks (ex. a couple at cap for raiding, a challenge farmer, etc). Some grind needs to be in the game, so I would be okay with keeping the past lives a per character thing. Having said that, I wanted to comment on the racial past life portion from the perspective of a casual player.

    For me, there are certain races that I enjoy playing, but others I just find funny looking so I don't play them. Because I have a limited amount of play time, I don't want to get stuck playing a character that I don't like the look of for a long period of time as I work through three racial past lives, so there's no way I'm going to even start down that road. However, if the racial past lives were front loaded and you could get 1 racial AP on your first racial past life, I think I would probably go for it and cycle through and play every race on my main. In fact I could see going through and purchasing all of the races I don't own.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

  12. #132
    Community Member janave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,683

    Default

    Reaper could go like this...

    1. Semi common loot, and moderately cheapish ddo store item: Mark of Shared Reaper Consciousness: Mark your mainguy to use his points as a point of reference.
    2. About named item rate /10 % loot in reaper chests, and moderately expensive ddo store item: Tome of Shared Reaper Consciousness: Using character may now benefit from 50% of the reaper points of mainguy as long as > this char has.

    The tome could alternatively be a potion with a large duration, as a much cheaper consumable, I would much prefer the tome version tho.

    Could make the tomes BtC and a somewhat friendlier drop rate, however it kinda defeats the purpose if the character already earns enough points by the time one drops...

    Unwanted tomes as usual could be turned into a small amount of Purified Shards, to not just pollute the aether for no reason.
    Last edited by janave; 06-18-2019 at 08:39 AM.

  13. #133
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,524

    Default

    I don't understand the argument/belief that if PLs were account-based, there wouldn't be enough grind to keep people playing. The devs keep adding PLs and grind over and over to keep people busy playing. The difference is that if PLs were account-based, it would affect people more evenly instead of giving some people stuff to do and some people an exponential mountain to climb.
    Graceana, assassin ~ Xiya, tempest ~ Shinshi, shintao ~ Ayaxi, thief-acrobat ~ Saravi, cleric ~ Sanziana, arcane archer ~ Kyudojin, mechanic
    Talvi, caster druid ~ Zinzie, shiradi sorc ~ Kishori, spellsinger ~ Faunia, wolf druid ~ Viven, warchanter ~ Jianqiao, ninja spy
    Cliodna, wizard ~ Serenwyn, swashbuckler ~ Duisteri, shuribuild ~ Mahuika, warlock ~ Narabali, tank ~ Tabbithah, artificer
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Helmet View Post
    Honestly, I am glad to say I will save money and save it for my kid... at least Legos do not change overnight so that the pieces don't fit together anymore..

  14. #134
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    26,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yokido View Post
    @Aelon
    @Chai

    Regarding alts. I see major technological advances in gaming as something to be appreciated. It wasn't many years ago, that if you played any RPG, online or not, that you couldn't have more than 1-3 characters. I'm just trying to remind folks to keep things in perspective with the grand scheme of things.
    25 years ago in RPGs/MMOs I could have a minimum of 8 characters. Its not a recent technological advancement to give us more character slots. Even on our NWN server in the early 2000s it was a minor tweak to save people's characters after they maxed out on what the game would allow.

    That being said I'm not worried about how many character slots people have in DDO. The symptom I see people pointing out alot is they are reducing the number of characters they play due to the amount of grind for character power. This is starting to reach those folks who supported p2w because some of them had multiple characters, all with a time and money investment involved, and now need to choose between investing yet more money to stay current or parking some of those characters - they are unable to invest more time. Its not that their amount of disposable time decreased, but that the grind increased. This is where the time vs money argument shoots its own foot.

  15. #135
    Community Member Yokido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    472

    Default

    *Shrug* MMOs came around late 90s, early 2000s. I've seen a number of games in that era with tight limits on 'toon' count (such as 1). That we can customize a character to our preferences, and in such depth that we can today, is still baffling to me.



    @OP & Supporters

    Please be aware there are always ramifications for each action. Even if the devs bite and do exactly everything you're asking for, there will be a huge backlash from the parts of the community that.don't.support.power.creep.

    Has anyone mentioned how this might affect favor farming for DDO Pts? I would feel this would be a huge advantage to have if you were trying to save a buck.

  16. #136
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    57

    Default 6-10 years of grind for a single character

    With all of the past lives possible, and all of the rxp possible, someone playing 4 hours per day could take 6-10 years to grind out everything on a single character, depending on their play pace during those 4 hours.

    This makes me think of the South Park episode of Make Love, Not Warcraft, when they have spent 21 hours a day for months to grind out their levels so they can kill the trolling player.

    "I can't believe it's all over. What do we do now?"
    "What do you mean? Now we can finally play the game."

  17. #137
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    26,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yokido View Post
    *Shrug* MMOs came around late 90s, early 2000s. I've seen a number of games in that era with tight limits on 'toon' count (such as 1). That we can customize a character to our preferences, and in such depth that we can today, is still baffling to me.
    SWG had a character limit of 1. Im not sure anyone wants to hold that game up as the gold standard for player experience, or how to retain players.

    I know this is complained about alot in Eve, Albion, and old school Runescape. In those games your character can be customized to play any role you want limiting the need to create alts (such as ffxiv). DDO, with its restrictions on levelspreads for groups, and altering character build, doesnt fit into the mold of an MMO that should not have alts.

    Id be fine with it if I could change my character role whenever I wanted to, without having to buy or farm a heart. If my friends need a healer for their raid, and I could load a second build, complete with gear etc, to play that role, that would be fine. Some games have this ability. DDO is not among them.

    What other MMOs had a limit of 1 character per account?
    Last edited by Chai; 06-18-2019 at 01:00 PM.

  18. #138
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yokido View Post
    *Shrug* MMOs came around late 90s, early 2000s. I've seen a number of games in that era with tight limits on 'toon' count (such as 1). That we can customize a character to our preferences, and in such depth that we can today, is still baffling to me.

    @OP & Supporters

    Please be aware there are always ramifications for each action. Even if the devs bite and do exactly everything you're asking for, there will be a huge backlash from the parts of the community that.don't.support.power.creep.

    Has anyone mentioned how this might affect favor farming for DDO Pts? I would feel this would be a huge advantage to have if you were trying to save a buck.
    It doesn't matter what MMOs in the 90s did. DDO - the game that we are playing and that has been around for 13 years - has always had lots of available toons. You're bringing us a coupon from a different store.

    Yes, there are always ramifications. Lots of them would be good. There is always backlash from some people no matter what happens. I find it interesting that we are ignoring the backlash from alt players by citing not wanting backlash from other players. It really tells us who is prioritized. I'd also point out that there was exactly the same backlash when the devs reduced the TR XP curve - some people were so very upset that THEY ground things out the long way and not OTHER PEOPLE would get it faster...as if it is a PVP game.

    It's not. Account-based will not ruin the game. It will make it better for a lot of players and not affect the rest. Honestly, at this point I would even be fine with the devs monetizing it - sell a "family seal" or something in the store that allows you to link PLs and reaper points on a two toons of your choice. Want to buy more seals to link more toons to a big group? Fine. Want to make an alt that doesn't have access to all that? Don't buy it for that toon.
    Graceana, assassin ~ Xiya, tempest ~ Shinshi, shintao ~ Ayaxi, thief-acrobat ~ Saravi, cleric ~ Sanziana, arcane archer ~ Kyudojin, mechanic
    Talvi, caster druid ~ Zinzie, shiradi sorc ~ Kishori, spellsinger ~ Faunia, wolf druid ~ Viven, warchanter ~ Jianqiao, ninja spy
    Cliodna, wizard ~ Serenwyn, swashbuckler ~ Duisteri, shuribuild ~ Mahuika, warlock ~ Narabali, tank ~ Tabbithah, artificer
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Helmet View Post
    Honestly, I am glad to say I will save money and save it for my kid... at least Legos do not change overnight so that the pieces don't fit together anymore..

  19. #139
    Master Assassin nokowi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    It doesn't matter what MMOs in the 90s did. DDO - the game that we are playing and that has been around for 13 years - has always had lots of available toons. You're bringing us a coupon from a different store.

    Yes, there are always ramifications. Lots of them would be good. There is always backlash from some people no matter what happens. I find it interesting that we are ignoring the backlash from alt players by citing not wanting backlash from other players. It really tells us who is prioritized. I'd also point out that there was exactly the same backlash when the devs reduced the TR XP curve - some people were so very upset that THEY ground things out the long way and not OTHER PEOPLE would get it faster...as if it is a PVP game.

    It's not. Account-based will not ruin the game. It will make it better for a lot of players and not affect the rest. Honestly, at this point I would even be fine with the devs monetizing it - sell a "family seal" or something in the store that allows you to link PLs and reaper points on a two toons of your choice. Want to buy more seals to link more toons to a big group? Fine. Want to make an alt that doesn't have access to all that? Don't buy it for that toon.
    Of the 200 or so players I've known, 90-95% played multiple toons.

    Reaper changed that of course.

    Sometimes there are not great solution once design has gone against player preference.

    It would have been great if reaper was designed so that 90-95% of player still actively played multiple toons.
    It's much easier to demonize those providing feedback (whining, childish, bringing the forums down, etc) or minimize their voice (small number, vocal, etc) than to accept the fact that the agro/stealth system just missed the mark.
    A good company learns to listen to their customers.

  20. #140
    Community Member Yokido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    472

    Default

    @Chai

    Although it's getting more off-topic I will humor you some. Dead Frontier is a game I played often that only gives you one character per account although all items are freely trade-able/gift-able. Otherwise Runescape was another I'd of mentioned, and then I was going to mention some of the other games where progression is entirely account-based and not character based at all (FPS games like Warrock), or games like League of Legends.

    While in LoL & Warrock you may use many, many characters, you don't really "level up" those characters. You level up your account, and in this way, it's not a "toon" progression system as we know it here in DDO. Maybe it's disqualified if this is the case, but either way, an honorable mention for this topic.

    @Grace

    Game balance is an issue, and (according to the devs) it is even a -major- issue. If player A can suddenly use his x3 completionist past lives on any of his alts, do you think this might make things unfair for someone who doesn't have x3 completionist, or for someone who doesn't use alts?

    If the idea is to get people to pug more, then perhaps we shouldn't be supporting people's ability to only play with their tight-knit groups. If people feel they can switch between alts more readily by keeping all PLs, why should they ever get a pug for a healer when they can just switch? Or a cc caster? Or a tank? Why do entire guilds run raids short-man on the hardest difficulty, and then all simultaneously switch to their alts to do it again, short-man, with not one pug?

    I've only seen issues with regard to alts, but that's just my take.

    #Onecharacterforlyfe

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload