Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Not signed. I dont think you want people who have 147 past lives to have that instantly on every toon they make, that would certainly be a large step towards the death of DDO. I certainly dont want pls account shared. PLs are a nice commodity but far from needed. All my toons have less then 20 trs after playing for 10 years and can hold up in most end game reaper content. Alt love is being expressed in everything except raid gear is BTA, which is awesome.

HOWEVER, what i think would really help SOME players is RXP needed for reaper visuals like wings to be account shared. I am selfish with this one because instead of needing 4.2 million more xp on one character, id need only 1 million on all characters. Reaper wings are purely cosmetic, so let those that have the RXP on the account gain access to those wings on all tons and help those that run lots of alts that will never get that much RXP have wings. Im not a tr junky by any means and only run reaper at cap, and i like to play different toons so my rxp is spread among many characters even tho ive put in the time to have enough RXP on one toon.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTOTG View Post
    I don't really want to start another character with 0 past lives, 0 tomes, 0 destinies, 0 anything. But I'd like to have a character I could raid with while TRing my main.

Now you don't need to have 147 past lives just to play, but I sure wish creating alts had more incentive. I'd be quite happy to pay for supreme +8, XP tomes, bags and bank slots for an alt that shared the dozen or so past lives I have on my main... but it took me a year to get those PLs and I'm just not going to start a second character with nothing.
    OMG, /Not Signed.

You really have to have some cahonas even to suggest this, wow. A character is a single individual that needs to be developed should you choose. STOP with all the easy button **** that will turn this game into a ghost land. I have 5 characters I play on with 2-3 being mains to semi-mains. They are all good to decent at end game, why because I play on them.

Get real.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    While I agree that there's a problem, account based PLs isn't a good solution. First of all it will make the problem worse not better when ubers have stables of super characters rather than just one or two. Second it will make all your characters feel like the borg rather than individuals with unique histories and abilities.

My sense is that what people really want when they ask for this is to be able to play the character builds they're interested in the content they prefer while still advancing in DDO's extensive progression system. For example currently if you want to play a tank you need to first knock out a gazillion PLs or you will forever be a sub-par tank no matter now long you play that tank. You should be able to get better at being an endgame tank by being an endgame tank, not by doing say a bunch of warlock PDK PLs to get PRR/MRR.

The new off destiny potions are a step in the right direct (though a bit pricey for what they are). I'd like to see similar options to get alternative past lives (ideally with both in game and reasonably priced premium ways of acquiring them) when you TR/RR/IR.

People would feel a lot less burdened by the "TR grind" if it was something that would come naturally as you played the way you wanted rather than requiring a very specific and extensive "set up" path.
    You bring up the problem nicely. People want to get better as an end game tank by sitting at end game while playing a tank. The current system actually lets them play a tank. Thanks to racial and epic TR, they can play a tank from level 1 to 30 dozens of times in a row. The one thing they cannot do is sit around at level 30 while still making progress. Personally I don't think playing through the game from 1 to 30 over and over again as my favorite class is that bad, but if sitting at end game for a while is really what people want I would support changing the Epic TR process to no longer drop your level to 20. It would be fine to have Epic TR leave you at level 30 while just draining your karma from a particular sphere. This, coupled with the new off destiny potions you mentioned, would allow someone to stay at level 30 in their favorite class and destiny while they earn all of the soon-to-be 48 Epic past lives.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Borkor View Post
    Not signed.

Once again the forum claims appear to have little relevance to in game experience. The vast majority of my guildies and those I run with run many alts. In my guild alone their are 10+ players who run multiple alts that are multi completionists and a few with multiple toons that are all past live completionists. They currently play to 'finish' more toons. If past live and RXP were shared many of them, including me, would leave the game. Why would I play when every character I have is now done? What would be the point? I think many in this thread don't get that.

I find it hilarious that people who claim to be 'good' players apparently can't run toons without the crutch of past lives. I also find it humorous that people are so anal that the fact that new past lives are introduced means they must have them, and they are angry about it. There would be a little justification for racial or class past lives where you would lose racial triple completionist and eligibility for the selected completionist feat - but new iconics or epic lives? If you don't want to run them don't. Don't get angry about it.

Obviously SSG is trying to get in front of folks like those in my guild and keep them playing by giving them something to do. If you think SSG is gonna defeat the whole point of what they are doing by making past lives and RXP sharable - I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I would like to sell you. You would make a fortune collecting tolls...

Can we all agree that server mergers, past life sharing, and RXP sharing are all non starters that would wreak havoc with the already small player population and kill this game? You guys may as well be asking for free VIPs and Otto's boxes for everyone. Not gonna happen.

I'm glad you chimed in on this. Your viewpoint matches my first thoughts nicely. The reason I play is to progress characters. When I get to "end game" and have no way to progress a character (other than gear which gets regularly replaced and is thus meaningless) I quit the game. So many of these solutions for new players and alts are centered around making the game end sooner and thus eliminating any reason to keep playing.

We will soon have 150 past lives (if you include the new class). That does not mean you need 150 past lives. It means, each time you play through the game you get choose 1 or 2 past lives from a list of 150. Adding more past lives is better because it gives you more ways to improve your character. Adding new past lives is like adding new feats. You now have more options when designing your character. I look forward to when there are 200 past lives (even though I will likely never get them all on a single character).

The power gap for new players and alts is real. It is also, arguably, a problem. But the solution is not less experience per life or shared lives/experience/reaper experience on alts. I could live with either of those changes (since I doubt I will ever fully finish a character and I don't play alts anyway), but I don't think either are good solutions or really solve the problem. The quoted post already shows how these solutions are harmful to the people that play the most.

The solution is character power. The AP you spend in class trees, the feats and skills you pick, and the epic destiny (with twists) that you run should account for a minimum of 80% of total character power. The problem isn't past lives. Even gear, which has gotten ridiculous in its stats, doesn't have to be a problem. The problem is that they add past lives and better gear without improving raw character power. A naked, first-life cleric should be at least 80% as effective as a max past life cleric in end game gear. A cleric channels the power of a god. Are you telling me that gods are weak unless you are wearing the right robe?! It's ridiculous!

If raw character power were properly scaled over time we wouldn't be having any of these problems. Past lives and gear should be nothing but bonuses rather than the majority of the power.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTOTG View Post
    I don't really want to start another character with 0 past lives, 0 tomes, 0 destinies, 0 anything. But I'd like to have a character I could raid with while TRing my main.

The only design-type problem I have with this game is how unfriendly it is to alts. There are currently a total of 147 past life feats in game (including the new 4x3=12 epic past lives):

* Heroic, 14x3=42
    * racial, 12x3=36
    * iconic, 7x3=21
    * epic 16x3=48

Total: 147

Now you don't need to have 147 past lives just to play, but I sure wish creating alts had more incentive. I'd be quite happy to pay for supreme +8, XP tomes, bags and bank slots for an alt that shared the dozen or so past lives I have on my main... but it took me a year to get those PLs and I'm just not going to start a second character with nothing.
    The grind won't stop by turning some advancement paths into account wide advancement paths. To step into the treadmill is a personal decision. But don't complain if you don't like treadmills.

My take on this is. Advancement should be by character and not by account. If you don't want to play alts then don't. If you want to play alts then split your time playing them.

I play many many alts. I try different builds and paths. Alts at different level ranges allow to swiftly start playing. Since you're free to level you can park some alts on a certain level and still improve their gear or get reaper xp. I would have the time to go for TR, Epic TR and stuff but why? I enjoy the gameplay first. There is no other carrot that would make me play a game.

The enhancement trees, epic ehancements and reaper enhancements are fine for the first half of the "treadmill". The other part of the treadmill is collecting and improving gear. Up to a certain degree this adds some additional goals but won't replace the main goal "having fun playing and liking the gameplay itself".

Who wants to go for the sugar coating (TR/Racial TR/ Iconic TR/Epic TR) is free to do so. But this should stay a per character decision.
    Brace yourselves
    Pints are coming!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    So what is the goal? To have the game stagnate? How are they supposed to add new content if everyone just stops being able to advance? If the level cap was still at L10 right now, after 13 years, how many people would still be playing? The lights would have been turned off years ago. There are only so many options to keep a game fresh. You have to add quests (content) and rewards. That's it. Rewards are going to be either better gear or more power.
    Yes. We keep seeing so many arguments about past lives (and to a lesser extent gear) but those are both inevitably going to get stronger in this game. People need something to do. Whether it is grind past lives (my preferred option) or grinding better gear (an option I detest). I would be happy if gear was entirely cosmetic and all power came from within the character itself, but I don't bother even suggesting that because I know gear grinding is fun (or at least feels rewarding) for a lot of people.

So the solution, as always, is the same. We don't need fewer or shared past lives. We don't need strong gear to be removed. We need the vast majority of character power to come from within the character itself. When they add past lives and better gear they also need to add more power to class trees, feats, and epic destinies. They are doing this a little bit but not nearly enough. We still spend 2 AP per stat point in our class trees and epic destinies yet put on gear with +19 to a stat. Needless to say this results in a game that is overly dependent on wearing the right gear.

Feel free to keep past lives and gear as they currently are, but make raw character power (the stuff that is separate from past lives and gear) enough that a first-life character can still play with the big boys. Alts would be just fine if the past lives and gear had not become such a large percentage of total power. People have 300 PRR and yet you still only get 1 or 2 PRR from putting a point in a class tree? That is ridiculous. Class trees need a serious makeover even if it's just as simple as doubling or tripling almost all of the numbers associated with the tree.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Jumper View Post
    Quick question.

When the number of players TRing/spending money drops by half because those players don't need to spend money on their alts, and SSG decides to come out with Enhancement TRs (3-4 Trees over 15 Classes) and there's suddenly another 50+ PLs to achieve in the game...what then?
    Honestly, I am very much looking forward to this. The fact that they were willing to give Racial AP (and quite a lot of points of it too, with more hopefully to come) makes me hope that they will one day also give the ability to get extra AP to spend in our class trees (or at least the universal trees). There will be so many more build possibilities if this occurs.

Some people get too lost complaining about grind to see the possibilities it opens up. I'm unlikely to ever get the soon-to-be 150 past lives they already have. Adding more doesn't increase the grind at all. It merely increases the list of rewards I get to choose from each time I do get a past life. A wider range of rewards makes it easier to find a reward I actually want. Adding 1000 more past lives doesn't change the fact that I am unlikely to ever even get 100 of them. More lives doesn't mean more grind. It means more possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    Honestly, I am very much looking forward to this. The fact that they were willing to give Racial AP (and quite a lot of points of it too, with more hopefully to come) makes me hope that they will one day also give the ability to get extra AP to spend in our class trees (or at least the universal trees). There will be so many more build possibilities if this occurs.

Some people get too lost complaining about grind to see the possibilities it opens up. I'm unlikely to ever get the soon-to-be 150 past lives they already have. Adding more doesn't increase the grind at all. It merely increases the list of rewards I get to choose from each time I do get a past life. A wider range of rewards makes it easier to find a reward I actually want. Adding 1000 more past lives doesn't change the fact that I am unlikely to ever even get 100 of them. More lives doesn't mean more grind. It means more possibilities.
    There can be possibilities without making players grind for years and years
    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    I don't think you get a choice.. you are Rys's minion..

Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    There can be possibilities without making players grind for years and years
    Not picking on you Wizza, but your comment lets me ask a question again that I have asked before (and as far as I can recall has not been addressed).

What is "grind" versus what is "playing the game"? I am still trying to figure out the actual difference other people see.

My opinion would be "grind" = something you HAVE to do, but don't want to do. Playing the game is what you want to do.

With that line of thought/reasoning, most grind is self-inflicted IMO.

For instance, I enjoy melee classes and play them about 90% of the time. I have played and enjoyed the occasional ranged toon as well, and while it's okay, it's not as fun, but not what I would consider "grind" to play them. However, playing a caster of any sort is painful for me (including a non-battle cleric) and if I HAD to play one for a past life feat then I would consider that "grind".

Running the same quest 100 times to get some rare named item would be a "grind" as well, if it's just something I "want" so my toon can be "better", but if I am fine with a less powerful, but still very good, item of the same type then if I "grind" out that quest 100 times, it is self-inflicted.

Just my 2 cents.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Community Member

I don't remember who in the thread brought it up but someone made the best argument I've heard for account based reaper:

It is a pure meta layer, there is no role play, it is completely immersion breaking, it is about the player, and should be account based.
    Also it is the one that you can choose not to spend if you wanna play with a new friend.

Community Member

I think that past lives shouldn't be shared as they are only a minimal gain compared to reaper points and or gear. However, to improve alt viability reaper points must be shared to some degree, 1/10 for example.That will achieve 2 things:

- Will improve alt play, because we would be able to progress while playing alts.
    - Minimize the grind indirectly on alt characters, leading to hopefully more alts on all level ranges.

Besides that I really liked the idea of the first few lives with low exp requirements from thedip.

Quote Originally Posted by thedip View Post
    Heroic past lives, whilst not essential, can make a character more viable especially in higher level content. Surely the simplest way to do this is to reduce the amount of xp required (or the multiplier) for the first 9-10 levels rather than the 2 that we currently get. Characters would still need to level 1-20 and so nothing is given away.

This way a mage could take 3 wizard PL, 3 Sorc PL, 2 Gnome PL and 2 Drow PL - the character is now far more viable in epic content and the devs should not need to make massive changes to the background programming.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Not picking on you Wizza, but your comment lets me ask a question again that I have asked before (and as far as I can recall has not been addressed).

What is "grind" versus what is "playing the game"? I am still trying to figure out the actual difference other people see.

My opinion would be "grind" = something you HAVE to do, but don't want to do. Playing the game is what you want to do.

With that line of thought/reasoning, most grind is self-inflicted IMO.

For instance, I enjoy melee classes and play them about 90% of the time. I have played and enjoyed the occasional ranged toon as well, and while it's okay, it's not as fun, but not what I would consider "grind" to play them. However, playing a caster of any sort is painful for me (including a non-battle cleric) and if I HAD to play one for a past life feat then I would consider that "grind".

Running the same quest 100 times to get some rare named item would be a "grind" as well, if it's just something I "want" so my toon can be "better", but if I am fine with a less powerful, but still very good, item of the same type then if I "grind" out that quest 100 times, it is self-inflicted.

Just my 2 cents.
    In my opinion, the difference between a grind and playing the game lies in the amount of repetition required to reach an end goal.

Examples:
    If you can hit max level by running each quest once at the appropriate difficulty level for your character (first life can be a lower difficulty than 3rd life), then you can hit max level by playing the game. If achieving max level requires that you repeat the same quest multiple times because either the quests themselves don't award enough experience, or too much experience is required to level, or there aren't enough quests in the game, then the journey to max level would be considered a grind.

If you can run a quest saga and at the completion of it have gathered enough materials to craft an item appropriate to that saga, then that crafting would be considered part of playing the game. If, on the other hand, it takes 5+ runs through the saga in order to craft a single item, then that crafting would be considered a grind.

If you can achieve a completionist reward by playing each distinct thing (class, destiny, iconic, race, whatever) one time, then achieving completionist could be considered playing the game. If you need to arbitrarily play each thing multiple times, then it would be considered a grind.

Heroic completionist isn't a grind, in my opinion. It's a great reward for playing the game on a variety of classes.
    Racial completionist is a grind, in my opinion. Having to complete each race three times is tedious. I've played a half-orc, why do I have to play it again 2 more times? Because the devs couldn't think of another way to allow me to unlock such powerful rewards as +4 to all stats (on average), +2-3 to all skills, +2 to all saves, and 12 racial APs without repetition. Playing 12 past lives to unlock all that would be too rewarding. Playing 36 past lives is probably right, but the repetition of the 12 lives 3 times is the grind.

Leveling to cap is not a grind. You don't have to repeat any quest to hit max level.
    Reaper is a grind. The amount of RXP awarded by quests is far lower than the amount of RXP required to gain a point at even moderate levels of reaper points. You repeat quests many, many, many times over multiple lives to unlock cores in a tree or obtain the cosmetics.

Is grind the worst thing in the world? Only to some people. In most MMOs, the grid is part of what keeps players playing. I railed against the grind until I got my second character to a point where I don't feel compelled to amass any more lives and I consider them "done" and now I'm starting again on a new character. Level 30 just isn't fun enough for me to stay there every day, so I grind.

That we can have alts in the first place is a generosity given to us. That there are 'some' account based items or benefits is another generosity given to us.

I don't think Account-based progression needs any level of improvement. If anything, BTA gear should just be bind on equip or unbound.

There are things that could be done to help players with alts that has NOTHING to do with their actual game-play. Let them have the option to have all of their character names listed for others to readily see, say an extra little button by their character portrait. I hate not knowing who people are when they're on an alt, and they are also inconvenienced by having to say "Oh, I'm so and so!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yokido View Post
    That we can have alts in the first place is a generosity given to us. That there are 'some' account based items or benefits is another generosity given to us.
    I'm sorry but that is patently ridiculous to me. I PAY for extra character slots. I PAY for extra bank and inventory slots on my alts. I PAY for XP and other tomes on my alts. I PAY for races and classes NOT to play them one after another on a single character but to build DIFFERENT characters with different play-styles and backstories. I PAY for cosmetics for my alts. I bought the Shared Bank and many upgrades thereof, I bought the crafting storage and several upgrades thereof. No one is giving me all that for free to constantly make new alts. Alts are not a generous hand out. If DDO had begun as a single character per player game I would never have joined it at all.

NO. Account based benefits are not a generosity they are a selling-point, a hook, an incentive to get involved in the game in the first place. If they were as generous as you say Shared Bank would be free.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    (No longer replying to the above poster but a general comment to all and sundry.)

Maybe what they should do is put in bold-face type somewhere every new and returning player can see, a big warning that says this:

You as a player and person in the real world have a choice. You may play one character through many, many (seriously ~150 now if you add the new ED and new class on the way) lives and eventually have a character of godly powers or you may choose to DIVIDE your time, effort, and spending on multiple characters and always feel a little behind or like you'll never catch up depending on your subjective feelings, your amount of playing time, and the number of alts you choose to play. You are also welcome to spend to catch up one life at a time (on one character at a time) in what $50 increments?

Yeah... if this warning showed up when you went to download the game... well I doubt the results would be good for the game.

You can argue whatever you want however you want but when all is said and done behind every single character I play... its still me spending my time, my money, earning whatever XP, achievement, unlock, life, loot... me always me.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Those are products that are bought and paid for.

I don't think Account-based progression needs any level of improvement. If anything, BTA gear should just be bind on equip or unbound.
    I actually wish it was the other way around. Stuff like EDs, PLs, and Reaper points can be account based, and gear can be BtCoE. This drives a gear based economy, but once its bought and equipped it is now bound. With tons of alts that economy would be healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I actually wish it was the other way around. Stuff like EDs, PLs, and Reaper points can be account based, and gear can be BtCoE. This drives a gear based economy, but once its bought and equipped it is now bound. With tons of alts that economy would be healthy.
    I think we all know why BtCoE failed....... Players that were capable exploited those who were not capable to say the least.
    Last edited by Mglaxix; 06-17-2019 at 03:37 PM.
    Main 100+ Lives ( 42/42 HTR - 15/21 ITR - 36/36 ETR - 10/14 RAP - 28/36 RTR - 82/154 ), Jynxer - Completionist ( 22/42 HTR - 7/21 ITR - 11/36 ETR - 2/14 RAP - 1/36 RTR - 34/154 ), SoulDuster - Completionist - Paladin ( 15x HTR 3x ETR 20/154 ) BlakReign - 1st Life Reaper https://ibb.co/album/k1hMqa https://ibb.co/album/g0yuAa https://ibb.co/album/bXjCWF

Community Member

<snip> something I can't read </snip>
    Dude, I see your posts around, here and there. The forum supports various themes, which change the color of the page. I use dark theme, and your choice of green font means I always skip over what you write because I can't easily read it.
    Just use the forum's normal color and your words of wisdom will be fully supported in all themes, and thus available to more people!

Quote Originally Posted by Mglaxix View Post
    I think we all know why BtCoE failed....... Players that were capable exploited those who were not capable to say the least.
    With n/h/e loot gone there would be far less of that, if any at all. If people are getting lucky enough to farm enough reaper bonus items for their characters, then farm more to sell, then so be it.

A current gear based economy is one of the things this game lacks. The gap would still be much closer with the other stuff as account based.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    With n/h/e loot gone there would be far less of that, if any at all. If people are getting lucky enough to farm enough reaper bonus items for their characters, then farm more to sell, then so be it.

A current gear based economy is one of the things this game lacks. The gap would still be much closer with the other stuff as account based.
    Why would you think n/h/e loot being gone would make any difference. Reaper bonus items only drop in reaper. Since the introduction of sentient jewels if most aren't going to pass gear without an even trade. I have seen LFMs with people paying shards for people to pass drops or is that not part of ddo economy.
    Main 100+ Lives ( 42/42 HTR - 15/21 ITR - 36/36 ETR - 10/14 RAP - 28/36 RTR - 82/154 ), Jynxer - Completionist ( 22/42 HTR - 7/21 ITR - 11/36 ETR - 2/14 RAP - 1/36 RTR - 34/154 ), SoulDuster - Completionist - Paladin ( 15x HTR 3x ETR 20/154 ) BlakReign - 1st Life Reaper https://ibb.co/album/k1hMqa https://ibb.co/album/g0yuAa https://ibb.co/album/bXjCWF

Quote Originally Posted by Mglaxix View Post
    Why would you think n/h/e loot being gone would make any difference. Reaper bonus items only drop in reaper. Since the introduction of sentient jewels if most aren't going to pass gear without an even trade. I have seen LFMs with people paying shards for people to pass drops or is that not part of ddo economy.
    What? People are joining LFMs where they are paying shards for others to pass them loot while they run together? *shakes head* That's awful. I don't think a loot based economy would work well because of how swiftly and how often loot gets power-creeped out of relevance.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast