Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Signed but for balance, something else needs to be done. Example idea: Give all accounts some minimal number, so if you have that number or fewer you get to pick PL to make it up. That way new players are not even more disadvantaged. It would also give all players enough to work with to at least build one type of toon fairly well. I don't know.
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

Signed.

Community Member

Default Problems to think about!

So, here are my thoughts:

1. how will you decide what PL's should be shared? ie"
    I have:
    1 toon with 369 TR's
    1 toon that is triple all (except only 1 racial PL)
    1 toon that is a completionist ( except only 1 Racial PL)
    5-6 other toons with between 3-8 PL on each)

I have 46 characters on my account ( do I get Triple everything on all toons ? …...and is that fair because I spent a LOT of time grinding out more then 1 toon)

I should be able to add up all my PL's on every toon and share them all with all my toons on this account ( no maximums PL's because of the time and money spent to grind out all my PL's)

As a company that promoted grinding out PL's for several years, to penalize people who did this, would be a bad thing (these are the people that have stayed loyal to the game and kept it going for the last 13 years.

2. What if I want to play with new people that are joining the game? I would have no way to make a 1st life toon and run with them without making a whole new account.

3. People are already complaining about the "Power Gap" between Newer players and "Vets". Combining PL's account wide would only make it so that gap would never get closer together.

4. I have always wanted to figure out how to close the gap between my main toon (Firegoddess on Sarlona......168 Reaper points and every PL the game has to offer with my Triple completionist with only 21 Reaper points and my Completionist toon with 20 Reaper points. But have not been able to figure out how. Maybe we could get some suggestions here on the forum to discuss.

Thanks for reading

Community Member

Reaper exp? Yeah

Exp required for past lives lowered or being allowed to generate bta exp stones at cap? Sure!
    This way we can stay at cap for raids and reaper farming and not let the normal exp go to waste.

Maybe designating 3 alt toons to share your mains past lives with?

Community Member

Default when you find yourself in a hole

... stop digging!

Account-shared power replaces the shovel with a steam shovel. Bad idea.
    Last edited by Pyed-Pyper; 06-05-2019 at 12:57 AM. Reason: clarity

Community Member

Default Just Brainstorming

How about an Otto Stone of Cloning. You can make a clone on the same server of any existing character. Any past life feats you gain for one, you gain for the other. You don't share any types of experience or favor rewards between the characters, just past life feats. That way you could have two different character set ups you could switch between so you could at least vary your play experience, have more opportunities for grouping, but not lose out on advancing the overall grind of past life feats.

Advantages:
    - provides a new revenue stream
    - adds character playing variety
    - supports more opportunities for group playing
    - could keep a character parked at 30 for end game group activities, while not losing out on the past life grind
    - could have a lower level character always grinding for low-medium group activities

This would be supportive of veteran and new players alike.

Also, could only use once per character.
    Last edited by Jaxtan; 06-05-2019 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyed-Pyper View Post
    ... stop digging!

Account-shared power replaces the shovel with a steam shovel. Bad idea.
    Agreed.

I keep saying that this idea is a bad one, and the end result will be worse than what we have now.

I am open to other ideas to make alt play easier, and I am open to ideas that make the game more new player friendly.

This does not accomplish the goals people claim it will.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

/signed

All the past life, racial and reaper stuff should be shared between alts on the same account.
    Its that fact that they aren't shared makes me not want to play reaper, or even TR, ER or RR.
    No point to it all unless its shared on an account.
    Khyber

Not signed.

Reaper XP and Past Lives must be earned, not given. And dont make elite more easy, like normal!

While I agree that there's a problem, account based PLs isn't a good solution. First of all it will make the problem worse not better when ubers have stables of super characters rather than just one or two. Second it will make all your characters feel like the borg rather than individuals with unique histories and abilities.

My sense is that what people really want when they ask for this is to be able to play the character builds they're interested in the content they prefer while still advancing in DDO's extensive progression system. For example currently if you want to play a tank you need to first knock out a gazillion PLs or you will forever be a sub-par tank no matter now long you play that tank. You should be able to get better at being an endgame tank by being an endgame tank, not by doing say a bunch of warlock PDK PLs to get PRR/MRR.

The new off destiny potions are a step in the right direct (though a bit pricey for what they are). I'd like to see similar options to get alternative past lives (ideally with both in game and reasonably priced premium ways of acquiring them) when you TR/RR/IR.

People would feel a lot less burdened by the "TR grind" if it was something that would come naturally as you played the way you wanted rather than requiring a very specific and extensive "set up" path.
    Sabbath - Sarlona

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Airmaiden View Post
    So, here are my thoughts:

1. how will you decide what PL's should be shared? ie"
    I have:
    1 toon with 369 TR's
    1 toon that is triple all (except only 1 racial PL)
    1 toon that is a completionist ( except only 1 Racial PL)
    5-6 other toons with between 3-8 PL on each)

I have 46 characters on my account ( do I get Triple everything on all toons ? …...and is that fair because I spent a LOT of time grinding out more then 1 toon)

I should be able to add up all my PL's on every toon and share them all with all my toons on this account ( no maximums PL's because of the time and money spent to grind out all my PL's)

As a company that promoted grinding out PL's for several years, to penalize people who did this, would be a bad thing (these are the people that have stayed loyal to the game and kept it going for the last 13 years.

2. What if I want to play with new people that are joining the game? I would have no way to make a 1st life toon and run with them without making a whole new account.

3. People are already complaining about the "Power Gap" between Newer players and "Vets". Combining PL's account wide would only make it so that gap would never get closer together.

4. I have always wanted to figure out how to close the gap between my main toon (Firegoddess on Sarlona......168 Reaper points and every PL the game has to offer with my Triple completionist with only 21 Reaper points and my Completionist toon with 20 Reaper points. But have not been able to figure out how. Maybe we could get some suggestions here on the forum to discuss.

Thanks for reading
    well said.

your friend sil

Quote Originally Posted by remember1 View Post
    Not signed.

Reaper XP and Past Lives must be earned, not given. And dont make elite more easy, like normal!

Honestly, if you're fine with playing 1 character and do stuff with just 1 character then all the more power to you.
    But please don't spread your anti-narrative to people who actually care about alts and want to keep their rightfully earned power.
    I shouldn't be losing worth of 80+ lives and millions or RXP just because I switched from one toon to another.
    This design is insulting to the player behind the screen.

Anyone who says you can make alts with little to no pastlives and still contribute the same way as your main character is either lying or delusional.
    This power gap between alts needs to be eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    While I agree that there's a problem, account based PLs isn't a good solution. First of all it will make the problem worse not better when ubers have stables of super characters rather than just one or two.
    For them yes, but the grind for us mere mortals to become an "uber" with a full stable is far less than it is now.

Second it will make all your characters feel like the borg rather than individuals with unique histories and abilities.
    For you yes, but not for me, that ship sailed with the shared bank, raid runes, crafting bank, plat bank, etc.

My sense is that what people really want when they ask for this is to be able to play the character builds they're interested in the content they prefer while still advancing in DDO's extensive progression system.
    That sense doesn't cover everyone here, for me the fact that they aren't shared stops me from wanting to do any of it in the first place. Now mind you I want to but the hill is just to steep. I cant concentrate on one character like many of you all seem to be able to, I like to play a variety of classes, so I cant get ahead in the current non-shared systems.
    Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTOTG View Post
    I don't really want to start another character with 0 past lives, 0 tomes, 0 destinies, 0 anything. But I'd like to have a character I could raid with while TRing my main.

The only design-type problem I have with this game is how unfriendly it is to alts. There are currently a total of 147 past life feats in game (including the new 4x3=12 epic past lives):

* Heroic, 14x3=42
    * racial, 12x3=36
    * iconic, 7x3=21
    * epic 16x3=48

Total: 147

Now you don't need to have 147 past lives just to play, but I sure wish creating alts had more incentive. I'd be quite happy to pay for supreme +8, XP tomes, bags and bank slots for an alt that shared the dozen or so past lives I have on my main... but it took me a year to get those PLs and I'm just not going to start a second character with nothing.
    Needs vs Wants

Heroic Lives 15 classes * 3 = 45 - Taking into account new class upcoming

Racial 12 * 3 = 36

Iconic 7 * 3 = 21

Epic 16 * 3 = 48

Now lets Optimize how you gain your past lives and maximize your payout.

Biggest gain is Racial past lives 36 lives 1-20 and done Rxp easily gained by running R1 is at minimum 50K 36*50k = 1.8mil rxp 43 reaper Points.

Now lets think about this Racial past life does not require 30 capping but if you do it every other life that is 18 ETR done Epic Complentionist please.

Rxp gained in epics lets be conservative again 18 * 100k = 1.8mil rxp so that would give you 3.6mil rxp 60 Reaper points.

Even a new payer after this amout of time should have a pretty good idea what class they will play end game.... Caster, Melee, Trapper.

I don't really see anything else that really breaks down as end game builds.

Now that your races are done and you could have at least 18 ETR done lets figure out back classes you might need vs what you want

Caster

Wizard - Spell Pen
    Favored Soul - Spell Pen
    Cleric - Conjuration DC's
    Sorcerer - Evocation DC's

Melee

Barbarian - Hit Points - Laughable
    Fighter - Tactical DC's
    Monk - +1 damage - Laughable
    Paladin - Heal Amplification

Trapper

Artificer - Intelligence Skill and UMD
    Fighter - Tactical DC's
    Monk - +1 damage - Laughable
    Paladin - Heal Amplification
    Ranger - +2 Damage Ranged Weapons
    Rogue - +1 Damage Sneak Attack

Now everyone can add any other classes they 'want' but are any of them really needed.....

You have 7 Iconic races you can run all those classes off to 30 with easily enough in no time at all and still gain more Rxp at 100k per life you could easily have your reaper wings running R1 all the way to it

So at most if you even tripled everything out you would only need 129 past lives..... Learn how to maximize your payout on past lives if you want them all. I wouldn't even count epic past lives myself simply because if your enjoying your life and run to 30 why wouldn't you ETR.
    Main 100+ Lives ( 42/42 HTR - 15/21 ITR - 36/36 ETR - 10/14 RAP - 28/36 RTR - 82/154 ), Jynxer - Completionist ( 22/42 HTR - 7/21 ITR - 11/36 ETR - 2/14 RAP - 1/36 RTR - 34/154 ), SoulDuster - Completionist - Paladin ( 15x HTR 3x ETR 20/154 ) BlakReign - 1st Life Reaper https://ibb.co/album/k1hMqa https://ibb.co/album/g0yuAa https://ibb.co/album/bXjCWF

While I agree that there's a problem, account based PLs isn't a good solution. First of all it will make the problem worse not better when ubers have stables of super characters rather than just one or two. Second it will make all your characters feel like the borg rather than individuals with unique histories and abilities.

My sense is that what people really want when they ask for this is to be able to play the character builds they're interested in the content they prefer while still advancing in DDO's extensive progression system. For example currently if you want to play a tank you need to first knock out a gazillion PLs or you will forever be a sub-par tank no matter now long you play that tank. You should be able to get better at being an endgame tank by being an endgame tank, not by doing say a bunch of warlock PDK PLs to get PRR/MRR.

The new off destiny potions are a step in the right direct (though a bit pricey for what they are). I'd like to see similar options to get alternative past lives (ideally with both in game and reasonably priced premium ways of acquiring them) when you TR/RR/IR.

People would feel a lot less burdened by the "TR grind" if it was something that would come naturally as you played the way you wanted rather than requiring a very specific and extensive "set up" path.
    First of all, how is it going to make the problem worse? I've earned my past-lives fair and square, why should I turn into a gimp when I need to switch to different roles. Roles that are required to successfully complete the raids on the hardest difficulty because that's what I and others in my raiding guild enjoy and do. You still need to gear all your alts, you still need to upgrade and twink, run flags, run favor for HP upgrades and skills. Also, understand the weaknesses and strengths of your playstyle. Not every uber top melee player can jump on a DC caster and be just as good as another who has uber DC caster as a main.

Second of all, that's not a reason at all. Never ever mention flavor as a reason again, pls.

Yes, we want good reasons to keep alts alive and strong. This whole thing with 12 more EPLs is getting out of hand honestly.
    All these half-measure suggestions and compromises make me think that people suggesting them don't really care about alt play.
    Please stop giving SSG these terrible ideas. Thank you!

Community Member

Not signed.

Once again the forum claims appear to have little relevance to in game experience. The vast majority of my guildies and those I run with run many alts. In my guild alone their are 10+ players who run multiple alts that are multi completionists and a few with multiple toons that are all past live completionists. They currently play to 'finish' more toons. If past live and RXP were shared many of them, including me, would leave the game. Why would I play when every character I have is now done? What would be the point? I think many in this thread don't get that.

I find it hilarious that people who claim to be 'good' players apparently can't run toons without the crutch of past lives. I also find it humorous that people are so anal that the fact that new past lives are introduced means they must have them, and they are angry about it. There would be a little justification for racial or class past lives where you would lose racial triple completionist and eligibility for the selected completionist feat - but new iconics or epic lives? If you don't want to run them don't. Don't get angry about it.

Obviously SSG is trying to get in front of folks like those in my guild and keep them playing by giving them something to do. If you think SSG is gonna defeat the whole point of what they are doing by making past lives and RXP sharable - I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I would like to sell you. You would make a fortune collecting tolls...

Can we all agree that server mergers, past life sharing, and RXP sharing are all non starters that would wreak havoc with the already small player population and kill this game? You guys may as well be asking for free VIPs and Otto's boxes for everyone. Not gonna happen.

Default Ah sh*t, here we go again.

/notsigned

As previously stated in a few comments, bringing out an old shovel for a new high technology shovel doesn't change that fact that its' a shovel and it shares the same techniques. I'm saying whether it's good or bad. They are all the same. They should all require the same grinding. Shouldn't be able to buy a new shovel and expect to have the same results as the old shovel, or am I getting it mixed up?

But in all seriousness, the developers won't do it as they've stated before, just like they won't perform a server merge.
    "A child's eyes light up when they see their Grandpa."

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Komradkillingmachine View Post
    Anyone who says you can make alts with little to no pastlives and still contribute the same way as your main character is either lying or delusional.
    i play 2 toons, 1st my main has all the past lives nearly, on this i can solo mid to high
    reaper and the 2nd is a first life with no past lives what so ever, not a single anything
    that stays at level 30 for new content and this i can solo reaper 2-4 depending on quest.
    it can be done, true its a little slower and more care has to be taken but it can be done.

now call me a liar as both of my toons contribute to me completing reaper quests.

your friend sil

Quote Originally Posted by Komradkillingmachine View Post
    And kiss all new players goodbye as you increase the gap between existing players and them.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    And kiss all new players goodbye as you increase the gap between existing players and them.
    That's for the devs who continue to add more and more new PLs to the game. It is they who are scaring the new players.

kiss now all new players goodbye, the new players already have that problem now
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast