Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Wait... 9% doublestrike from Martial past-lives doesn't work with THF?

It sure seems to work when I toggle it on my THF guy.
    He means it doesn't work on glances.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    Arcane Sphere:
    Ancient Knowledge

• Arcane Past Life Stance: +3 MRR per stack of this past life.
    • Passive Bonus: +1% Absorption of Acid, Cold, Electric, and Fire damage per stack of this past life.
    How about changing this to 9% force/light/alignment for archmagi and divines? Or +2/4/6 spell DCs to match the tactics one?

Melee has a 9% doublestrike feat, Ranged has a 9% doubleshot feat, Warlocks/Sorcs/bards have a 9% energy crit feat... Divines and archmagi lack such a feat.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 06-12-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Present rough timeline is:

That's all we have for you right now. I wouldn't hold my breath on it if you TR quite a bit.
    Seriously, Steelstar, you have to stop introducing new PLs if you are not going to devise mechanisms for those who are left behind (alts, new players, players slower play pace) can shorten distances with the ubers. The power gap between characters is already VERY high.

When will you do something to reduce that gap? Because that is more necessary than putting more PLs in the game. And please, do not leave this question unanswered. You have been ignoring those of us who have pointed out this problem for too long.

And for the sake of all that is sacred, stop introducing more and more backloaded systems, that only enlarges the gap more!
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    Seriously, Steelstar, you have to stop introducing new PLs if you are not going to devise mechanisms for those who are left behind (alts, new players, players slower play pace) can shorten distances with the ubers. The power gap between characters is already VERY high.

When will you do something to reduce that gap? Because that is more necessary than putting more PLs in the game. And please, do not leave this question unanswered. You have been ignoring those of us who have pointed out this problem for too long.

And for the sake of all that is sacred, stop introducing more and more backloaded systems, that only enlarges the gap more!

The truth is they do not know what to do other than past lives.
    From time to time I come to check what happened in the DDO and it is always more of the same.

Power creep, past lives. The magician's pass has been waiting for more than 3 years, the Magister's pass is ****, nothing new, nothing actually reworked, just power creep (DC Boost).

Sigils junk, Summons junk, EK is not fun with the 15 million buttons that have to be pressed, mechanical unfeasible and crazy for little benefit

And the biggest culprit is the players who accept this past-life madness. Stop playing as I did, by noticing this they will be forced to change this lazy design mentality.

SSG is not adding new or creative things, they are making you guys run in a wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gralhota View Post

Sigils junk, Summons junk, EK is not fun with the 15 million buttons that have to be pressed, mechanical unfeasible and crazy for little benefit

And the biggest culprit is the players who accept this past-life madness. Stop playing as I did, by noticing this they will be forced to change this lazy design mentality.

SSG is not adding new or creative things, they are making you guys run in a wheel.
    EK is junk with too many button presses?
    Now i admit that i'm not well versed in the arcane classes and only play sorc and warlock outside of my mains (melees&skill monkeys) but how bad is EK? When i did a pastlive (admititly a long time ago) it looked fine, what is changed?

Is it worse then the frenzy/death frenzy upkeep? Eing on 1 min rotations instead of being a toggle. The 8 cleaves and plethora of combat moves on said barb?

As for stopping to play, that never impacted the game. Ever, because not enough players will do it and the richer players will keep on paying.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

not sure if this is the right thread to post this but,

I suggest that twists of fate from the same sphere as the one you are in cost a bit less. That will help new toons and new players in fleshing out destinies and will have no effect on veteran toons.

Anyway it makes sense that twisting from the same sphere should be easier. I have no idea if this is possible with the tech or time.
    Last edited by Saekee; 06-17-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4 soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    not sure if this is the right thread to post this but,

I suggest that twists of fate from the same destiny as the one you are in cost a bit less. That will help new toons and new players in fleshing out destinies and will have no effect on veteran toons.

Anyway it makes sense that twisting from the same destiny should be easier. I have no idea if this is possible with the tech or time.
    I assume you meant from the same sphere
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Community Member

Hello! We've just posted about some upcoming changes to Epic Destinies; along with this, we're planning on adding 4 new sets of Past Lives (one in each Sphere). Here they are!

Notes:
    • The effective change is that you have a 4th choice of Epic Past Lives in each Sphere.
    • Like every other set of Epic Past Lives, these go up to 3 stacks (for a total of 12 new PLs).
    • The Passives are unlikely to change, as they match all the other Past Lives in that sphere. They're just here for the complete picture.
    • At this time, we're not planning on changing Epic Completionist or adding a higher-end one.
    • Remember that you get one toggle at a time per sphere.
    • Note that "Two Handed Fighting Style" does not include "Natural Weapon Fighting Style".

Arcane Sphere:
    Ancient Knowledge

• Arcane Past Life Stance: +3 MRR per stack of this past life.
    • Passive Bonus: +1% Absorption of Acid, Cold, Electric, and Fire damage per stack of this past life.

Divine Sphere:
    Ancient Blessings

• Divine Past Life Stance: +5 Positive, Negative, and Repair Healing Amplification per stack of this past life. (This does not allow you to benefit from Negative/Repair healing if you do not normally do so.)
    • Passive Bonus: +3 PRR per stack of this Past Life.

Martial Sphere:
    Ancient Tactics

• Active Bonus: +2 to Tactics DCs and +1 to Assassinate DCs per stack of this past life.
    • Passive Bonus: +2 AC per stack of this Past Life and +1 AC per ten character levels.

Primal Sphere:
    Ancient Power

• Primal Past Life Stance: +2 to Attack per stack of this past life. If you are fighting in Two Handed Fighting style, you also gain +2 Damage per stack of this past life.
    • Passive Bonus: +3 maximum HP and +4 per ten character levels.
    imo this is a terrible idea to just add another 12 Past Lives for the sake of "adding content". This is power creep for power creep's sake; this is a middle finger to anyone who plays more than one character; and imo this only affirms my feeling that the developers do not know how to keep their players engaged other than further extending the hamster wheel of past lives.

How many past lives are we up to now? I've truly lost count, but it seems that there are now something like 150+; enough is enough. I can understand necessitating new past lives for every class that is introduced, but this just seems overboard. Come up with a more original idea to engage your audience.
    Afunkymunky/Drkivorkian, Helter Skelter on Ghallanda

Epic Ring of Spell Storing--https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...+spell+storing

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus2011 View Post
    imo this is a terrible idea to just add another 12 Past Lives for the sake of "adding content". This is power creep for power creep's sake; this is a middle finger to anyone who plays more than one character; and imo this only affirms my feeling that the developers do not know how to keep their players engaged other than further extending the hamster wheel of past lives.

How many past lives are we up to now? I've truly lost count, but it seems that there are now something like 150+; enough is enough. I can understand necessitating new past lives for every class that is introduced, but this just seems overboard. Come up with a more original idea to engage your audience.
    14 Classes (Soon to be 15)x3=42 Lives
    12 Races (Soon to be 13)x3=36 Lives
    9 Epics (Soon to be 12)x4=36 Lives
    7 Iconics (Soon to be 8?)x3=21 Lives

So currently 135 (if you did not double up Iconic and Class), soon to be 156 (again not accounting for Iconic and Class).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus2011 View Post

Although I'm not a fan of continually running the same content over and over, past lives are an alternative to a progression server. Adding levels past 30, for various reasons, also is unlikely a good option. The question must be, how does a company keep a population of players interested enough as well as feel they are improving their characters? I know many a player that do not play for months until a new class or race is introduced, just for the upkeep of keeping their toon current as a completionist. Beyond this sense of completionist loss, their interest has grown quite limited.

I myself am waiting for reaper past lives.

Currently, I have a bigger issue with the ease and availability of loot open for everyone. A six month player should not have the entitlement to the very same loot a ten year veteran is able to acquire. I fear for the longevity of the game due to this simple concept.

It's quite easy to ask for original ideas to be implemented. If you truly love the game, I wouldn't mind hearing thoughts on how to keep a small company like SSG profitable, be able to hire the best talent and not only keep their current players, but also acquire new dedicated players going forward. Throw out your best ideas.

A few of mine for improvement would be:

• A housing server. People will farm for the dumbest of things which include cosmetics. It seems as players we are a vain species. Imagine what they would do to furnish an entire house/keep/castle. It would be insane. This would also bring in a whole new type of gaming population.

• Devs to be more engaged with the content they provide and not simply set it and forget it. For example, events or surprise events such as having a bad guys invasion of a public area anticipated at some unknown time during the day. Do it for favor, mats, unusual items or whatever. I played MMOS decades ago where this was a nice deviation from the daily grind. You can't tell me the technology isn't out there for something like this.

• Human Intelligence. Programmed AI has it's limitations. Imagine having a DM level difficulty, where a real DM would control the raid boss and not some anticipated script command at some predetermined point. Not grant additional powers beyond what they would already have, but to at the least remove that element of predictability. I've always felt that the typical raid boss entity has to be one of the most intelligent and devious of all villains found within the game.

I'm believe once in place, the costs of such a feature can be minimal. I would definitely pay extra for such a premium feature, without hesitation. Possibly have a handful of trusted and dedicated veteran players to volunteer their time for such a mode to control the boss. The DDO population already takes the time to perform the beta testing on Lammania, why wouldn't we dedicate some of our time to this as well? I would certainly love to play against my guild with raid boss control, no mercy.

Each run would likely be quite different, and a completion should be unlikely although not impossible.

Not intending to derail the topic but some things to think about.

Thanks!
    Last edited by entropyspinner; 06-17-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    I assume you meant from the same sphere
    Oh gahhh! thx Lyrecono, edited
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4 soon)

Quote Originally Posted by entropyspinner View Post
    snip

Thanks!
    some nice ideas!
    Also for me NO to powercreep and more PLs—sure some folks might pop in and play a bit to get the latest but that is not healthy for the game. Many also quit each round of power creep. Instead they need to create lots of fun competitions in the game such as those that players, not devs, heretofore have created, such as Mikkado’s original first life completion challenge, Aelonwy’s fashion show, PB’s screenshot competition and my stealth ROGUE challenge. These are small examples. Also, they need to focus massively on new player experience and retention. It is fun to be a vet and mentor new players; it is not fun to play on empty LFM servers and ghost towns. Character power is relative so this is what makes veteran players sometimes really enjoy their achievements IMHO.

Although I'm not a fan of continually running the same content over and over, past lives are an alternative to a progression server. Adding levels past 30, for various reasons, also is unlikely a good option. The question must be, how does a company keep a population of players interested enough as well as feel they are improving their characters? I know many a player that do not play for months until a new class or race is introduced, just for the upkeep of keeping their toon current as a completionist. Beyond this sense of completionist loss, their interest has grown quite limited.

I myself am waiting for reaper past lives.

Currently, I have a bigger issue with the ease and availability of loot open for everyone. A six month player should not have the entitlement to the very same loot a ten year veteran is able to acquire. I fear for the longevity of the game due to this simple concept.
    loot drops with a higher chance on higher setting, reaper bonus on item drops in reaper, the supposedly best loot should drop in raids, how ofen do you see new people in the endgame raids and reaper runs?

It's quite easy to ask for original ideas to be implemented. If you truly love the game, I wouldn't mind hearing thoughts on how to keep a small company like SSG profitable, be able to hire the best talent and not only keep their current players, but also acquire new dedicated players going forward. Throw out your best ideas.

A few of mine for improvement would be:

• A housing server. People will farm for the dumbest of things which include cosmetics. It seems as players we are a vain species. Imagine what they would do to furnish an entire house/keep/castle. It would be insane. This would also bring in a whole new type of gaming population.

you mean, like an airship, with more rooms to hide your wardrobe? And castles in a steampunk setting? Where is the option for a elemental powered, kraken looking,submarine guild ship? Or a elemental powered rocketship and bases on one of the moons?(eberron has 12 atm) Be more creative then some drab castle. As for bringing in new people, how long do you think they will stay after they discover the grind, outdated graphics and community views on new people in higher settings that most likey will be visited by them? It's a nice gimmick, sure but lacks the interest to justify dev time and money
    • Devs to be more engaged with the content they provide and not simply set it and forget it. For example, events or surprise events such as having a bad guys invasion of a public area anticipated at some unknown time during the day. Do it for favor, mats, unusual items or whatever. I played MMOS decades ago where this was a nice deviation from the daily grind. You can't tell me the technology isn't out there for something like this.

you better have this running for a few weeks at the time, otherwise people will complain about missing it. Funny thing is, Eberron has a whole bunch of planes that interact with it on a regular basis, so the lore is there, thing is, what about development time and money?
    • Human Intelligence. Programmed AI has it's limitations. Imagine having a DM level difficulty, where a real DM would control the raid boss and not some anticipated script command at some predetermined point. Not grant additional powers beyond what they would already have, but to at the least remove that element of predictability. I've always felt that the typical raid boss entity has to be one of the most intelligent and devious of all villains found within the game.
      Doom has such a system where players can inhabit mobs, it works fine, because the object is to kill each other and matches are short and easily reset.
      But when real life players are involved, other scenarios can hapen, imagin players taking the boss out of bounds constantly to reset his hp, go to unreachable places, kite or frustrate the players? And all of this after a frustrating slog just to get to the bos room on a high setting? Thing is, you want devs or mods to do this? Who is paying them to do this intead of their job?

I'm believe once in place, the costs of such a feature can be minimal. I would definitely pay extra for such a premium feature, without hesitation. Possibly have a handful of trusted and dedicated veteran players to volunteer their time for such a mode to control the boss.
      so, down to pvp? No thanks, i would pay good money to not get trolled by vets ( of wich i am one), power corrupts. What is stopping those vets to pop onto an alt account and commands the boss to do nothing or hinder his own plans?

The DDO population already takes the time to perform the beta testing on Lammania, why wouldn't we dedicate some of our time to this as well? I would certainly love to play against my guild with raid boss control, no mercy.

Each run would likely be quite different, and a completion should be unlikely although not impossible.

Not intending to derail the topic but some things to think about.

Thanks!
    No thanks, too easy to exploit.
    We had wave after wave of exploits in this game, now you want to hand them more tools for abuse and trolling?

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    Oh gahhh! thx Lyrecono, edited
    No wories
    Last edited by lyrecono; 06-18-2019 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Typo and clarification

Community Member

No thanks, too easy to exploit.
    We had wave after wave of exploits in this game, now you want to hand them more tools for abuse and trolling?

No wories
    Sad to see every point I touched on was misinterpreted.

Sad to see every point I touched on was misinterpreted.
    No
    I understood every intention, it was just that poorly thought out.

Handing raid boss controls to players invites dissaster. They can either troll the players or be corrupted for easy completions.

Your plans for player housing lacked imagination and players seem to be sick of the grind, why add another, there is so much to do in this game, tr, reaper farming, endgame raids, etc.

You pointed out that gear is too easy to aquire for new players, what changed? Every time a major expansion or pack came out, its newer loot was more powerfull then the old stuff. Menace of the underdark had easy to aquire gear for newer players to pick up and play along with friends. (Commendation trade in), it's nothing new and helps them out.

A limited time surprice event doesn't work, people would be angry that the event took place whille they were sleeping.
    Take a look at the birtday event, cordovan was spamming gifts and it lagged out the server, the pressents were sold de o other players, if they were lucky, most missed the event and got angry.

Next time think things through first, some of these ideas were too easy to abuse

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    Now if you want to complain about the way they continue to make new content harder and harder (even on normal difficulty) then I am right there with you. Content (at least for the lower difficulties) should be designed around first-life characters. People with 100 past lives can crank up the reaper levels if they want a challenge.
    ^^^^I agree 100%. But that's off topic. I like the past life additions, but agree that perhaps having some sort of account-wide benefits that encourage alt-play would be fun. I have given up on my alts while I grind my Class/Racial/Epic past lives.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

You pointed out that gear is too easy to aquire for new players, what changed? Every time a major expansion or pack came out, its newer loot was more powerfull then the old stuff. Menace of the underdark had easy to aquire gear for newer players to pick up and play along with friends. (Commendation trade in), it's nothing new and helps them out.
    "new loot is more powerful" is not a change. That's been happening since day 1. Either the new loot is more powerful and replaces the old loot or it's less powerful and gets 100% ignored.

(although it is nice that we can feed it to a gem today. That's a nice perk for otherwise useless loot).

MotU gear was easier to acquire than the absurd S/S/S loot because MotU gear was leveling gear instead of best-in-slot gear for the endgame. The fact that S/S/S gear is still stupidly tedious to acquire is a problem with that system, not an issue with MotU and later gear being "too easy".
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    "new loot is more powerful" is not a change. That's been happening since day 1. Either the new loot is more powerful and replaces the old loot or it's less powerful and gets 100% ignored.

(although it is nice that we can feed it to a gem today. That's a nice perk for otherwise useless loot).

MotU gear was easier to acquire than the absurd S/S/S loot because MotU gear was leveling gear instead of best-in-slot gear for the endgame. The fact that S/S/S gear is still stupidly tedious to acquire is a problem with that system, not an issue with MotU and later gear being "too easy".
    My post was in response of of someone else, who claimed that people that played for 6 months aren't/shouldn't entitled to the same loot as veterans who played for 10 years.
    As i pointed out, the devs actually help people out with easy to aquire gear to catch up (eveningstar turn ins, barovian weapons, etc)
    As long as one owns the content, everyone should be able to get their gear eventually, new players and veteran players can buy shards to reroll chests and daily dice for loot buffs.
    The only difference is reaper mode, a new player is less likely to play reaper mode and will be less likely be able to pull loot with a reaper bonus on it.
    Also, a higher dificulty, wich veterans are more likely to coplete then new players, yeilds a greater chance of a named item in a chest.
    Newer players can always be caried through though content by vets and pull important named loot right under the vets nose.
    Many of us have been there, slogging through completion after completion and some random newbie tags along and completely oblivious, loots the bauble/sos/sos shard/RoSS shard/etc because he doesn't understand how rare and important those are/were.

But i'm getting of track, every one has the same basic chance to pull named loot. It has always been like this, it has never been the "big" issue with this game.

Community Member

What they need is to expand on Sharn with more door quests and quest lines.

We need a gear set for the 20's. Another chain of quests 22-28 would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Montegue View Post
    What they need is to expand on Sharn with more door quests and quest lines.

We need a gear set for the 20's. Another chain of quests 22-28 would be amazing.
    What are door quests?
    Did you mean the 2 doors that govern the 2 quest chains? I'm not entirely sure about those.....
    I like that they are fast to reach but the sharn public area is now incredibly small, for a city that is supped the pinacle of the old world with skyscrapers, all we have is a semi circle outer ring and the inside of one tower.

I know this game is held back by players who play on potatoes C64's but i miss the big sprawling areas to explore other mmos offer their players.
    I mean, we're in sharn, where are the airship yards for repairs? Where are the canith crafting halls? Where are the large harbors with trade ships, elemental driven submarines? Where is the experimental construction site with elemental driven subteranian moles? Where is the kunderak bank? A house sivis post office? A market place that sells food? Most houses should have some form of representation in sharn. And all the mayor religions in Eberron, where are the temples?
    Sharn feels so small atm, i think the "door quests" (if that is what you meant) are part of that problem, did they ran out of money and time or imagination?
    I realy hope the devs will take the oppertunity to expand on sharn in the future and with that, spead the quests around a bit.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast