Community Member

Default Please explain why pet collars have spell casting enhancements

I have been looking both at collars and docents for my stainless steel body guard both with Cannith Crafting, the DDO Wiki for named collars and docents, and the auction house/shard exchange.

I am confused. I understand docents can be worn by warforged, a player race and can be any player class including spell casters. I do not see any reason for collars to have having abilities like Spell Lore, spell school potencies like Combustion, Magnetism, ... Pets cannot cast spells.

Does a Combustion Potency shard in a collar increase the power of a Fire Effect shard in the collar?

If there is a reason please explain it to me. I started looking for a reason in the forums but got tired trying to glean any information from the threads my search found.

Is a potency shard in a collar supposed to stack with the potency of the owner or since the same enhancement possibly be considered for which is greater if both are present? I have tried removing all equipment, looking at my spell potencies, then added a collar to my pet and saw no difference with a collar on my pet/docent and without. So it provides no assistance to the owner of the pet nor to the pet. I admit to only having tested with Magnetism and Combustion but I suspect all others will work the same.

With guards broken such that no guard provides more than one die of damage regardless of description, with the fact that pets cannot turn undead nor wield a weapon (other than the collar), the only effects that work on a collar are damage type (fire, electric, ...), armor piercing, melee alacrity, seeker, ghost touch, unbalancing, metalline, and vengeful (for prefixes), banes, slashing, piercing, bludgeoning, shatter, stunning, tendon slice, diversion, incite, deadly, doublestrike, vertigo, aligned, everbright, keen, and assassinate (can pets assassinate??) (for suffixes), and the extra slot abilities available on all weapons.

I am not asking that either the abilities added to the pet possibly be added to the owner, rather just stop making items with abilities that are totally useless. Stop making items with guards like Good Guard +10.

New players actually believe the items work as advertised. They do not understand why they lose battles they are sure they should win. Sometimes they "upgrade" for items that actually do things to items that are basically worthless based on what the items state they do.

If you must still roll for the useless magic enhancing because it is too much trouble to fix the code otherwise but then test and see if one was applied. If a useless ability is added simply list with the useful prefix/suffix. And please stop listing any guard as more than 1 die damage.

Community Member

Technically I think artI pets can breathe fire, which may function as a fire spell...

Are you seeing these on the AH or in chests? Because people might turn hand wraps into collars even if it doesn't make sense.

Community Member

Both pets can also get heal-over-time effects via Nature's Warrior's "Brother Wolf" or Arcanotechnician's "Automated Repairs". The wiki says the latter isn't affected by repair-boosting features but says nothing about the wolf's version

For the same reason that there is ranged gear with melee enchantments or melee gear with ranged enchantments. Or because it is almost impossible to get a random piece with useful enchantments. Because the enchantments that appear in each slot are really random within those allowed for that slot, and devs have not vetoed the senseless combinations or appearances that appear.

Someone should have nullified the spellcasting enchantments of the pet gear, but they did not, and by now, they will not fix it. Anyway, due to its excessive randomness, the random loot is totally useless. Craft a necklace with sense and you're gold.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Technically I think artI pets can breathe fire, which may function as a fire spell...

Are you seeing these on the AH or in chests? Because people might turn hand wraps into collars even if it doesn't make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Discpsycho View Post
    Both pets can also get heal-over-time effects via Nature's Warrior's "Brother Wolf" or Arcanotechnician's "Automated Repairs". The wiki says the latter isn't affected by repair-boosting features but says nothing about the wolf's version
    Do not seek elaborate explanations. that type of pet collars appear in the random loot frequently and have no use, do not do anything to the pets, it is simply another senseless more of the random loot. It is not the only nonsense that has the random loot, far from it, there are examples to dozens.

Random loot is useless because its design does not make sense. Cannith crafting is the right way to go in heroics
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Community Member

The items are found in chests.

I have looked at crafting collars. About 1/2 of the enhancements that are available for collars are only useful for spell casting. I understand the enhancements being available for docents but not for collars.

From what I can tell a collar is treated as just a weapon. The strange thing is it looks more like it is intended to be a scepter, orb, or staff type weapon as to the type of drops. If you look at the named collars, the same thing applies. It makes no sense, especially with the named collars unless the collars give some ability or enhance an ability of the pet or ability granted by the collar or docent worn.

Collars ONLY apply to pets. I know it is possible to convert handwraps to collars but I do not think the reverse is possible. Some of the named items even list the item as a collar but have the word "handwraps" in the title name/description.

Quote Originally Posted by TalieNeEllyll View Post
    The items are found in chests.

I have looked at crafting collars. About 1/2 of the enhancements that are available for collars are only useful for spell casting. I understand the enhancements being available for docents but not for collars.

From what I can tell a collar is treated as just a weapon. The strange thing is it looks more like it is intended to be a scepter, orb, or staff type weapon as to the type of drops. If you look at the named collars, the same thing applies. It makes no sense, especially with the named collars unless the collars give some ability or enhance an ability of the pet or ability granted by the collar or docent worn.

Collars ONLY apply to pets. I know it is possible to convert handwraps to collars but I do not think the reverse is possible. Some of the named items even list the item as a collar but have the word "handwraps" in the title name/description.
    Iriale gave the answer why.

I aslo seem to recall one of the devs adding on that gear with illogical effects was just vendor-fodder or to break down for essenses.

The answer is really simple - collars are hand wraps with a cosmetic overlay and a racial requirement that the wearer be a pet. That's all there is to it. It enables pets to have a weapon that enhances their attacks and makes more sense than equipping your doggie with a sword as well as being the easiest way to code it at the time.
    Dedicated Teams: be part of a larger community.
    You never hear anyone say: "Yeah, but it's a dry cold."
    Adventurers never forget. Adventurers still hate Coyle!

Please explain why hand wraps are chaotic

Please explain why hand wraps are evil

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisAlien View Post

NPCs were making them for themselves and weren't planning on PCs killing them and taking their stuff.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    NPCs were making them for themselves and weren't planning on PCs killing them and taking their stuff.
    But the users arent either alignment

But the users arent either alignment
    The original user was a Chaotic Evil Barbarian NPC who was afraid of heroic slimes breaking his weapons and couldn't manage to farm up a Muckbane.
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

Related explanation: The old "race restricted Warforged Only" armors that were not docents were made for fleshy warriors who had decent UMD and wanted to keep their kids from wearing their armor out to parties.
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by TalieNeEllyll View Post
    I do not see any reason...
    There is no in-game reason. The out-of-game explanation is that, when they were introduced, they were tossed into the same category as "weapons", both in droploot and CC, just given a diff tag so they'd only fit in pet's slots. This makes sense from a coding point of view, rather than spend the man-hours to have to write long new lists (which might be buggy) just for collars.

Think of it as a way to make useful collars that much more valuable. <shrugs>

Community Member

Also keep in mind balance. Sure, some pieces are pointless junk...but not every drop can be a potentially usable item. Or if they are, you have to turn the drop rate down a whole lot or you'll flood the market. At least junk items are fodder for plat or CC essences

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    Do not seek elaborate explanations. that type of pet collars appear in the random loot frequently and have no use, do not do anything to the pets, it is simply another senseless more of the random loot. It is not the only nonsense that has the random loot, far from it, there are examples to dozens.

Random loot is useless because its design does not make sense. Cannith crafting is the right way to go in heroics

This so reminds me of back in the day when Race Restricted items dropped. I no longer have the screen shots but I remember getting...
    1. Race Restricted Halfling - Dwarven Waraxe of Halfling Bane
    2. Race Restricted Elf - Docent of some such

Random effects are very interesting

But on another hand, I have pulled some nice random items that did have synergetic effects - So every now and then some other loot god steps up when Loki isn't looking and can bless you (or it just might be Loki trying to lull you into a sense of things are looking up to turn around and give you the business hehehe)

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    The original user was a Chaotic Evil Barbarian NPC who was afraid of heroic slimes breaking his weapons and couldn't manage to farm up a Muckbane.
    Last edited by NemesisAlien; 05-31-2019 at 04:57 PM.