Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62
  1. #41
    Community Member shores11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,364

    Default BTC is Okay

    Tip: When I want to have an item that is BTC on one of my 5 characters I switch to and play on the character I want it on.

    Having items that are BTC encourage players to play on more than one character more than not having BTC. While some players may not like this or disagree this is a fact point blank. DDO is a game that is a business and sometimes these decisions are important to keeping the game live.

    I enjoy playing on my 5 characters almost evenly to the point I really Do NOT consider them ALTs but all mains. While this will make my characters take longer to develop than someone only playing one character it is my choice and what I want to do. I am against the easy button.

    When I have pulled BTC items that a particular character could not use I either put it up for roll for the party, gave it someone I wanted to give it to or fed it to a sentient. Choices had to be made.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

  2. #42
    Community Member barecm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    3,442

    Default

    So from what I am reading, it was supposed to be raid loot... well, currently it is not raid loot. They can be farmed from quests. So, if you want to go BTC from saga rewards, well ok. However, the ones found in quests should not be. For reference, think about planar focus trinkets and the rings Seal of House XXX from Eveningstar Caught in the Web chain quests c1-3. Ones you find in the quest are not btc and can be traded.
    Sarlona Server - High Lords of Malkier :
    Kluege Fixer - Superkluege

  3. #43
    Cosmetic Guru Aelonwy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    Tip: When I want to have an item that is BTC on one of my 5 characters I switch to and play on the character I want it on.

    Having items that are BTC encourage players to play on more than one character more than not having BTC. While some players may not like this or disagree this is a fact point blank. DDO is a game that is a business and sometimes these decisions are important to keeping the game live.

    I enjoy playing on my 5 characters almost evenly to the point I really Do NOT consider them ALTs but all mains. While this will make my characters take longer to develop than someone only playing one character it is my choice and what I want to do. I am against the easy button.

    When I have pulled BTC items that a particular character could not use I either put it up for roll for the party, gave it someone I wanted to give it to or fed it to a sentient. Choices had to be made.
    That's nice for you that you don't mind getting something BTC that would be perfect for an alt while playing a different character. Kudos I guess. However, I reserve the right to have a different opinion. I have 14 characters I play. Trying to get a BTA item for one can be monotonous enough. Trying to get the right BTC item that drops totally randomly is going to be mind-numbing IMHO.

    I don't know what encourages you to play on your particular set of characters individually or collectively but most of mine were inspired by PnP characters I've played in the past and I play them more or less when I'm in the mood to do so. If I feel the desire to bust heads I grab my acrobat, if I feel like mowing things down demolition-style I grab my rog/arty, if I feel like just passively tagging along behind my hubby as he bashes mobs into smithereens I get my cleric. A small handful of characters have fallen so far behind the power of mobs its no longer much fun to play them to try to catch up. This is when BTA is best, a stronger character can grab a couple key items to help a struggling alt play less miserably. A game is supposed to be fun not tedious.

    I want to be clear here. I am not asking for stuff to just drop from the sky but I would like to see either BTA or BTC on equip rather than acquire. After all the years of playing this game I think RL is the best content, and the most player friendly. I don't really grind for items, and as such even after all this time I am still missing some RL gear but because running the whole story is FUN I have run it enough to have 2/3 of it without becoming bored.

    I'm not sure that will happen with Sharn. The story isn't quite as fun for me although certain quests are nice. Some of my characters will not fare well due to mechanics and will make playing through the story a slog. I just don't see myself running Sharn as much as I've already run RL, let alone on characters that will struggle.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

  4. #44
    Uber Completionist kain741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    I don't know what encourages you to play on your particular set of characters individually or collectively but most of mine were inspired by PnP characters I've played in the past and I play them more or less when I'm in the mood to do so. If I feel the desire to bust heads I grab my acrobat, if I feel like mowing things down demolition-style I grab my rog/arty, if I feel like just passively tagging along behind my hubby as he bashes mobs into smithereens I get my cleric. A small handful of characters have fallen so far behind the power of mobs its no longer much fun to play them to try to catch up. This is when BTA is best, a stronger character can grab a couple key items to help a struggling alt play less miserably. A game is supposed to be fun not tedious.
    So I've played my share of PnP as well and never have I had a shared bank that i could just go get a jump start to a build. I'm not saying moving everything to BTA is wrong, just the merits of your argument contradict themselves.
    As to the randomness of the artifacts...that is a bonus. They were intended to be in the raid and in the saga. If you want reliability on finding the items can can start there but if you run the chain once or twice it is a pretty good bet you'll drop between 3-5 of these pretty quickly.
    ZERG
    Whynnd | Xantroos | Cyridven | Justys

  5. #45
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    I was under the impression that the reason raid items were BTC is because they were more powerful than other loot to the point that they needed to be limited access. Is this correct?

    Because that horse escaped the barn years ago. Every update invalidates previous gear. Why should old and/or invalidated raid gear be locked to the character that pulled it?


    The realities of the game today point towards BTA.

  6. #46
    Community Member John3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    Tip: When I want to have an item that is BTC on one of my 5 characters I switch to and play on the character I want it on.
    Tip ? There's no need to be condescending and treat others as dimwits. Everyone has their own reasons to play DDO and for most it is to have a fun time. If something is ruining their fun then they are entitled to express themselves so that SSG can make sure this game stays fun to a maximum of people and not only to select few.


    Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    Having items that are BTC encourage players to play on more than one character more than not having BTC. While some players may not like this or disagree this is a fact point blank.
    Calling this a "fact point blank" is a little pretentious don't you think ? That may very well be the reason why you play Alts, but I seriously doubt that the majority of people play Alts for this reason. I would say that BTC may even go so far as to discourage playing ALTs and may hinder/delay the creation of balanced raid parties.... How many times have raids been stuck "waiting" for a tank, healer, etc.. to decide to join up or failed for lack of a balanced team. Since the introduction of BTA raid tokens, I've seen more raid LFMs going up and more diversity... so I'd say that's pretty good proof that your assumption is wrong with regards to the larger player population. I also predict that making items BTA would further the trend that BTA raid tokens have caused : more raids, more diversity.... "Need a tank or healer ? No problem, let me relog on my Alt." At least that kind hearted PC doesn't get the shaft because he switched to an Alt so the raid could take place.


    Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    DDO is a game that is a business and sometimes these decisions are important to keeping the game live.
    Thank you for pointing this out. One of the pillars of a successful business is to have happy customers. Now if changing BTC into BTA makes over 80% (seeing the %of /signed vs /unsigned in this thread and other threads) of DDO customers happy, attracts new customers, encourage more raids, more diversity, etc... than yeah, it's time to consider making changes to make the DDO gaming experience more enjoyable.

    Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    I enjoy playing on my 5 characters almost evenly to the point I really Do NOT consider them ALTs but all mains. While this will make my characters take longer to develop than someone only playing one character it is my choice and what I want to do. I am against the easy button.
    Good for you. It's great to hear you're playing different toons. Now let me ask you : "Do you only play your Alts to grind out equipment for them or do you play them because you enjoy playing a variety of classes ?" / "Would you stop playing your Alts (other mains) if BTC items became BTA or are items secondary to the enjoyment you get from playing Alts (other mains) ? " ... If you're honest with yourself, I'm sure the BTA status of items would change nothing with the way you play... The "easy button" argument has nothing to do with it, nor should it affect your personal gaming experience. You can play the game the way you want, naked, permadeath, on R10, etc... invent your own rules, but let others enjoy this game without imposing an elitist train of thought. DDO is not a PVP game, there are no player leaderboards, so there's no need for "Grind to play" talk...

    Anyways thanks for your feedback. It's always nice to have multiple views of things.

    Cheers,

  7. #47
    Cosmetic Guru Aelonwy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kain741 View Post
    So I've played my share of PnP as well and never have I had a shared bank that i could just go get a jump start to a build. I'm not saying moving everything to BTA is wrong, just the merits of your argument contradict themselves.
    As to the randomness of the artifacts...that is a bonus. They were intended to be in the raid and in the saga. If you want reliability on finding the items can can start there but if you run the chain once or twice it is a pretty good bet you'll drop between 3-5 of these pretty quickly.
    I wasn't arguing anything about PnP and shared stuff. He said that BTC motivates him to play all his characters and I brought up what motivated me to play my characters and for some of them its their PnP roots in my mind and nothing to do with loot whatsoever.

    My argument for BTA or BTC on Equip was that I find running content -repeatedly- tedious and that if items are BTA then I will eventually get what I need just through regular play through the content even if like RL it takes ...over a year... but with totally random + BTC on acquire + characters that are not quite up to snuff for today's power curve, well *shrugs* its more likely to turn me off of content than motivate me towards it. But whatever, I think the ship has sailed, next expansion I'm going to be asking more questions.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

  8. #48
    Hero Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John3000 View Post
    *Snip* "Do you only play your Alts to grind out equipment for them or do you play them because you enjoy playing a variety of classes ?" / "Would you stop playing your Alts (other mains) if BTC items became BTA or are items secondary to the enjoyment you get from playing Alts (other mains) ? " ... If you're honest with yourself, I'm sure the BTA status of items would change nothing with the way you play... *Snip*
    Not whom you were addressing but do have a HUGE stable of Alts.
    Your first question: Do you only play your Alts to grind out equipment for them or do you play them because you enjoy playing a variety of classes ?

    I play Alts for the variety of classes.

    Your 2nd Question: Would you stop playing your Alts (other mains) if BTC items became BTA or are items secondary to the enjoyment you get from playing Alts (other mains) ?

    I am systematically running my current end game alts through the Sharn Saga, and hosting Saga LFM's on a nightly basis (Unless one already exists.)
    Once I acquire the desired Minor Artifact for each of those alts I will cease running the Saga's as often and start running other content as well as The COGS Saga's.
    The minor artifacts are the BIS for any build (3 stacking Filigree slots are by far the most appealing Items in the Sharn Expansion.)

    In my opinion making those items BTC is without a doubt preserving the longevity of the "Too Hot to Handle" Raid and the Sharn Saga.
    Last edited by Noir; 05-30-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Grammer
    Originally Posted by grodon9999
    "I'm beginning to think a lot of people play this game because it's cheaper than paying for a Dominatrix."
    Disciplines Disciples - 54 Alts on Khyber and counting

  9. #49
    Community Member Quikster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Backwards Day in Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    7,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    Tip: When I want to have an item that is BTC on one of my 5 characters I switch to and play on the character I want it on.

    Having items that are BTC encourage players to play on more than one character more than not having BTC. While some players may not like this or disagree this is a fact point blank. DDO is a game that is a business and sometimes these decisions are important to keeping the game live.

    I enjoy playing on my 5 characters almost evenly to the point I really Do NOT consider them ALTs but all mains. While this will make my characters take longer to develop than someone only playing one character it is my choice and what I want to do. I am against the easy button.

    When I have pulled BTC items that a particular character could not use I either put it up for roll for the party, gave it someone I wanted to give it to or fed it to a sentient. Choices had to be made.
    Shocking sensibility on these here forums. Kudos to you for being an adult!
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

  10. #50
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I have been following bitcoin for awhile and my advice is, don't be someone who follows the bitcoin price daily. It has gone up and down over the last several years and it will continue to do so in the future.
    Last edited by blissann; 08-15-2019 at 03:37 AM.

  11. #51
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krimsonrane View Post
    The minor artifacts you find in any new sharn quest are btc. I've already gotten 3 on one character.
    I'm only going to be able to use one at end game so why do I have 3 with 2 of them as bank fodder?
    It sucks when you have what you want on the wrong character and can't do anything with it.

    Personally speaking I think BTC should be ended completely.
    I think artifacts are the strongest items atm so it is ok they are btc

    But...
    With all these btc items i think some heroic raid should give items bta now or normal heroic items btc should be bta

    Im full of btc items...
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    GODS

  12. #52
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Or we can make them BtCoE and rid ourselves of the nonsense of the last 2+ years.
    This would destroy raids...you can sell BTCoE items on the shard AH. You cannot sell BTA items however.

    BTC should go away even for raid items. If you are after a certain item on a character you are going to tend to want to run that particular toon. In todays raiding (more role specific than historically), you should not be penalized for running on a healer or tank if you are after an item on another character. I would prefer encouraging people to fill rolls as needed.

    And while we are at it, maybe change raids to once per 24 hours cycle (not a static 24 hours) per account per server, rather than 3 days per character with no account limits. Sort of like how daily dice rolls work instead of current mechanics. It sucks having people misaligned on timers, the player base is divided enough by playing time availability.
    Last edited by jskinner937; 08-13-2019 at 09:48 AM.

  13. #53
    Community Member Mindos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pocket Pita Plane
    Posts
    2,230

    Default

    Raid timers should all decay just like night revels ingredients.


  14. #54
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kain741 View Post
    So I've played my share of PnP as well and never have I had a shared bank that i could just go get a jump start to a build.
    I've played a lot of PnP and I've never been restricted on what I could store.

    I'd be happy enough if they'd just change that "Bound to Character" line to "Bound to Account. Bound to Shadrar". Just let the one toon equip it, but at least let me store it on a bank toon.

  15. #55
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    7,081

    Default

    Corrupt-a-wish SSG dev response:

    "Oh, you don't like getting the raid-level BTC items dropping in quests? Next release notes:
    Artifacts will no longer drop in quests, only from the raids."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

  16. #56
    Staggering LightBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Letters of Lingo
    Posts
    3,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    And just like dental plaque, the excess of it should be scraped away - and the game made clean.
    Which BTC does just before you TR. Choose which items go into inventory or into character bank and the rest you have to scrape them out of existence from the game.

    The same can be said for BTA items, eventually you'll run at a cap of items there as well.

    As far as the minor artefacts go, I'm planning on having a few of those and craft them to fit a particular role so I can equip when in need for that/some thing to happen/boosted.

  17. #57
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    Tip:
    Having items that are BTC encourage players to play on more than one character more than not having BTC. While some players may not like this or disagree this is a fact point blank.
    my bold: Not necessarily. When I began TRing seriously, I chose my main because he had the most GS. I had other characters with 4-5 PLs, but this first life guy had 2 cleansed GS. Back then before all the powercreep loot we have now that was an amazing advantage. Other characters stopped being played because he had better BTC loot. A character that doesn't have good BTC loot is much less attractive to play than one that does. This is not as big a deal now since there has been many updates of top tier BTA stuff, but it still is an example of how your blanket statement is wrong.

  18. #58
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    This would destroy raids...you can sell BTCoE items on the shard AH. You cannot sell BTA items however.

    BTC should go away even for raid items. If you are after a certain item on a character you are going to tend to want to run that particular toon. In todays raiding (more role specific than historically), you should not be penalized for running on a healer or tank if you are after an item on another character. I would prefer encouraging people to fill rolls as needed.

    And while we are at it, maybe change raids to once per 24 hours cycle (not a static 24 hours) per account per server, rather than 3 days per character with no account limits. Sort of like how daily dice rolls work instead of current mechanics. It sucks having people misaligned on timers, the player base is divided enough by playing time availability.
    They still have to be looted before they can be sold. = someone has to be running the raid.
    This would hurt PUG raiding probably. Less people would pass loot and more people who don't like raiding but come out for the loot would just buy it, but others who stop once they have it might keep going for the chance to sell.
    Dedicated raid groups would love it I'm sure. They'd be able to make some cash doing what they already enjoy doing.

    I actually think the epic GH era is the peak of post epic levels DDO item/economy. EH items were good. EE items were just a little bit better (with a few outliers, where EE was way better or EH was better due to ML), but EE was way harder to complete back then (before everyone had 80+ stats and every build got +crit mods and mainstat to damage). Everyone could do fine in EH gear, if you wanted that last bit from EE gear you had to run it or buy it. I could see BtCoE raid loot looked at the same way.

    Only the rarest of items should be BTA (crafted stuff like GS, slavelords, TF, S/S/S stuff, and super rares like jibbers), and nothing should be BTC. Let people trade. Named items are the least unique thing in the game, there's no reason they shouldn't be tradable.
    I realize this will never happen because part of the problem is the monetization. If we had a game that was sub only then loot could be tradable, but part of the motivation to buy specific content is access to the loot and that's why everything is bound. I can still mourn the fact that we don't have an economy even if I know it won't change. (I guess this is why random loot sucks too, if you can get it anywhere you can't gate it by pack sales)
    Last edited by Cantor; 08-14-2019 at 07:55 AM.

  19. #59
    Community Member Mindos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pocket Pita Plane
    Posts
    2,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadrar View Post
    I've played a lot of PnP and I've never been restricted on what I could store.

    I'd be happy enough if they'd just change that "Bound to Character" line to "Bound to Account. Bound to Shadrar". Just let the one toon equip it, but at least let me store it on a bank toon.
    This is a great idea. It can't be used by anyone else, but it can be stored anywhere.


  20. #60
    Hatchery Hero Dark_Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTrolol View Post
    BTC is fine on raid and raid type items, artifacts are like raid items, BTC is fine for them.
    But but...we aren't supposed to run quests more than a couple of times on a character... So no item, no xp…. no thanks. I guess we can sit there and beg in every group for a hand me down.
    Please sir, I don't get any XP...can I get that minor artifact so I can feel a sense of accomplishment after running this quest 10 times for no XP?
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload