Exclamation SOS - Save Our Storage !!!

Here is my SOS bottle to SSG.... "Please save our storage from the BTC nightmare many PC players are living !!!!"

13 years of DDO, 42 major updates.... if 42 is the universal answer, then I ask you : "After how many major DDO updates should SSG address the BTC storage problems that are plaguing many players ?"

The time to act is now !!!

It is not normal that after 13 years and 42 updates plus hundreds of BTC items, that our BTC storage remains the same. The game incourages reincarnation yet does little to address the BTC nightmare many live that makes reincarnation such a pain.

A request for comments / proposals on how to address this issue should be initiated.

I've seen some good ideas come forth on the forums that seem to take performance issues into account and so should be talked about / planned / etc..., such as :

* Add a seperate longtermed storage NPC seperate from the normal bank NPC that allows to park class specific named items not needed for current life, such that it can only be accessed 1/day or 1/week or with a platinum fee charge or by using a special storage token to reduce lag issues with long term bank access.

* Convert old btc items (or under lvl 20 items??) into BTA items. Establish a maximum number of BTC items that can exist in the game, and as newer BTC items get introduce with updates, convert the old ones into BTA.

* Make the reincarnation cache permanent and searchable and in such a way that you no longer need to empty it out before reincarnating. Make it work by interacting with a seperate NPC so that it doesn't load every time someone opens their bank. You can't add to it , but allows cumultive reincarnation additions to it... making reincarnation a joy instead of a nightmare. You click reincarnate, and your current equipment gets added to the existing items already there, you can then casually withdraw the items you really need for your new class without the hassle of having to plan out your next 30 reincarnations to figure out if you can trash your hard earned BTC items....

I'm sure others have other great ideas, let's make a sticky on this topic.

It would be great to hear a SSG staff member respond to this. I'm currently holding off buying the new Sharn expansion, just because I know my BTC storage will explode. If you adress this issue then I will make you the pledge that'll I'll buy the expansion and next coming updates.

Cheers,

You do realise that 99%, if not more, of BtC items are junk, only a few are worth saving.

Only keep BtC items you want to use at cap. My main characters have 4-5 BtC items at most.

The rest is sentient food.

About 1/2 of my gear is still BtC, about 1/2 of these is still best in slot at and above+2 levels. Some took very long grinds to collect, and even if they are likely to be overshadowed at some point, it would be nice to keep them around.

I have already thrown out massive amounts of BtC gear including old epic stuff that took several months to assemble. Realistically I could throw out another 10-20 items from older raids (Abbot, Reaver, Sands, Von..), but those items can fill out some odd slots on some odd builds, and they just look good

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    You do realise that 99%, if not more, of BtC items are junk, only a few are worth saving.

Only keep BtC items you want to use at cap. My main characters have 4-5 BtC items at most.

If they are junk, then why keep them BTC ? Why not make them BTA or auctionable ? Count those few worth keeping either situationaly or for leveling or different future classes, and it starts adding up pretty quickly.

If you spend 99% of your time at cap, then yeah... 1 class, 1 set.... no probs. But for others that TR, item management and BTC items is a pain.

Others are heartbroken to be forced to scrap the gear they spent so much time farming. Would you part away from your SOS, eSOS, Torc, Epic Wolf Whistle, Celestias, Pinion, Balizarde, your T3 greensteel gear and all those other BTC items you've spent hundreds or more hours to get/create/craft even if they are no longer "end game gear" or "current class gear" ? Lol, I mean come on, it's like me coming to your house and thrashing all your prizes, medals, family pictures, favorite items if they don't serve you in your current job. Why keep stuff at all, let's eliminate banks and inventory and have everyone run naked. Why put chests and treasure in quests ? You could just have an NPC high five you at the end of a raid. Just saying, so don't take this badly... the point I want to make is that this is a problem for many people so it's worth shedding light on. I of course respect your opinion and admire your ability to throw away / destroy your hard earned gear.

Cheers,

^^ First person ever to be satisfied with current storage capacity on DDO. Congrats.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by John3000 View Post
    Would you part away from your SOS, eSOS, Torc, Epic Wolf Whistle, Celestias, Pinion, Balizarde, your T3 greensteel gear and all those other BTC items you've spent hundreds or more hours to get/create/craft even if they are no longer "end game gear" or "current class gear" ?

Cheers,
    Done that yes. I never missed anything.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

It's the same in every game : The hoarders vs. the non-hoarders.

Some things are simply ancient. Today I found an helmet in the inventory of one of my alts. It simply said : Helmet. Nothing else. Really. No stats, no enhancements, nothing. And not even white. Not even as if prepared for crafting (because it would be white then, as well).
    I think I'm going to keep that. Because it looks so much ... ancient.

Some items are there just ... because they are special to me. Like that "dice trinket" from Delara's Tomb. Even although I don't need it that much, I've decided that every character of mine should get it. As some kind of tribute towards Gary Gygax. Same with that cloak.

Other items are kept simply because they were steady and trustworthy in the past. Like an old car.

Other items ... Well, I don't have any character over 16 yet, so I can't say.

As long as items are not deleted by devs in he databank, I'm fine with selling mine.

As a side-note, SWTOR has a very similar problem with space, but that was made more difficult with the devs there making items not available anymore, which made me keep them.
    Only one or two years ago ? they reappeared in a different form. All BTE. I've created several mules for that XD.

As I said above : It's the same old story : Hoarding vs. non-hoarding. Or, rather, in my opinion : Preserving vs. not preserving. Like in Real Life. Preserving items for the future so that those generations folloing us can see what we had and did.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

update the loot from old content from BTC into BTA.
    all the other pre level 30 content drop stuff is really kind of pointless to continue to be BTC.

BTC was only relevant when it was endgame raid stuff, now even many shroud items are transitional levelling gear or sentient food.
    Shifting them to BTA would allow players to shift these now mediocre items to alts and allow players to consolidate multiple copies of items on alts to movable versions.
    very few BTC items hold their own vs Cannith crafted and Cannith crafting evolved into BTA from the older BTC crafting system.

Would like to see an implementation where Runes from these old raids are used to upgrade/convert BTC items into BTA.
    Jotmon -
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 17/15,RC 14/30), Jotlock(HC 38/42,EC 36/36,IC 15/15, RC 0/30)..
    and several once viable raiding alts dumped into the packmule stables..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Too bad I 'purchased' maximum character slots for my account, SSG has now chosen to cater the giveaway perks to benefit multiple freebie accounts instead of the paying customers.

Quote Originally Posted by John3000 View Post
    "Please save our storage"
    I think the business guys at ssg are going for: "please buy more storage"

Except - I've maxed the personal storage space. So...

I agree - I suffer from not destroying all the ancient BTC items that used to be amazing and are now worst in slot. It would be awesome to have a house or something where I could put my rare items. There's room for me to spend more points on something like that for sure.
    AUREON/ KEEPER 2006-2009 | CANNITH 2010 -
    Anaplian, Csimian
    , Tengram, Hackworth, Memenah, Helekye, Nabberfleish
    Brotherhood of the Wolf

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Well, armor has a special place for me, because some items just have a great look.
    Bracers and rings, on the other hand ... They are not visible as far as I know ...

The Gorgon Armor https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Gorgon_Armor , although from level 10ish, has an imho unique look. Only last weekend I noticed the faces on it.

(But since I don't have any higher level chars [over 16] I cannot say whether this look reappears somewhere.)

Edit : I just found out how many sets there are : https://ddowiki.com/page/Named_item_sets
    That consumes a lot of space as well ...
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 05-27-2019 at 04:49 AM.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    update the loot from old content from BTC into BTA.
    all the other pre level 30 content drop stuff is really kind of pointless to continue to be BTC.

BTC was only relevant when it was endgame raid stuff, now even many shroud items are transitional levelling gear or sentient food.
    Shifting them to BTA would allow players to shift these now mediocre items to alts and allow players to consolidate multiple copies of items on alts to movable versions.
    very few BTC items hold their own vs Cannith crafted and Cannith crafting evolved into BTA from the older BTC crafting system.

Would like to see an implementation where Runes from these old raids are used to upgrade/convert BTC items into BTA.

A good idea.... Converting old BTC items to BTA would definately help simplify the TR nightmare.

Other ideas :
    * Eliminate BTC completely.... Where's the DnD logic in binding to player. Why coudn't an adventurer pass his gear to another fellow adventurer.
    * Increase the old quest named item and shard/seal drop rates up dramatically so that they can rapidly be refarmed on TR. Guaranteed pick of named items after thrid completion or such of old quests.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hutoth View Post
    I think the business guys at ssg are going for: "please buy more storage"

Except - I've maxed the personal storage space. So...

I agree - I suffer from not destroying all the ancient BTC items that used to be amazing and are now worst in slot. It would be awesome to have a house or something where I could put my rare items. There's room for me to spend more points on something like that for sure.
    Yeah, I've got max BTC storage as well... I would definately buy an option to increase that storage more or another system that allows me to TR without scrapping my collection of hard earned / rare items. With that type of financial incentive and the number of people wanting more space, I'm wondering what SSG are waiting for to put this on their product backlog / roadmap.

Let's hope a SSG staff member catches on to this. I heard on a DDO podcast that Lynabel was pushing for more BTC storage space, but needed players to speak out some more so that her management would take notice. Let's make some more noise then

Cheers,

Community Member

Done that yes. I never missed anything.
    Good for you.
    And now question: Why do you expect me to do same?

I don't think that BtC is the issue with loot storage. Sure, if you're a completionist collector looking for every piece of named loot, or a hardcore raider with almost all the raid loot in the game (which, notably, is one of the few places where BtC loot that is actually worth keeping is found, though the devs recently stated that they aren't planning to change the BtC status of raid loot, now that there are tokens to trade in that are BtA) you might possibly need more space for BtC loot, but for the majority of people with storage issues it's simply the volume of items that causes issues. Some of this is largely moot because power creep has made enough old loot (at least in certain level ranges) clearly obsolete, but even if you have a bunch of loot for different classes most non-raid loot in the last ten or so updates has been BtA, which alleviates the issues.

Where I encounter the worst storage issues are cosmetic/inventory bloat items. Fortunately, the new expansion cosmetics (for both RL and Sharn) are BtA, so I can toss them and just pass them from another character if need be, but certain things like hireling contracts are BtC, and while I don't use them a lot, I don't want to toss them either. I suppose a hireling folder answers the question for that particular instance, but that's selling a solution to a problem that is created by stuff I already paid for, so meh. That said, simply shuffling everything over to alts is inconvenient, especially with the sluggishness of storage systems in DDO. Some sort of storage system for cosmetic items would be beneficial, perhaps similar to the way that creature companions work. Of course, that's probably a ton of work, so I'm not demanding it, just my fantasies on storage.

Ultimately, however, it's simply the volume of item slag vs. storage availability that causes issues. Just in heroic alone, I have a ton of RL loot, a ton of 13-14 loot from the Codex chains, and a growing amount of Sharn loot. Coupled with older random loot that doesn't exist in the game anymore (the vorpal knockoffs for various enemy types, the good old quarterstaves, etc.) I already run a nearly maxed account storage, not counting the few worthwhile BtC items I've held onto, with all possible account storage purchases and the use of a couple mules. I know the developers have mentioned that character inventory has a hardcoded limit that they can't necessarily bypass, and I seem to recall that there was some argument about not being able to recklessly increase account storage (though I know that I would buy enough myself to be commensurate to a full expansion pack in price probably), and probably also something about character bank also being at its limit, I would like to see some changes to the personal bank. With full House K favor (are there still premium purchases for character bank? I haven't needed to check in so long), it still only offers about a hundred slots, which is a shame because it could be a much more helpful system. With an overhaul to the current bank UI and system and an increase to storage space, I feel like most of the storage problems could be fixed. Again, though, I'm not a software engineer so I have no idea how much work/headache/broken things that would entail.

But, also, I recognize that I need to sit down some time and just junk a bunch of old items that have been made worthless by newer content. Lynnabel has been doing a good job of updating old loot, but I'm getting more and more into the mindset of just making six or so loot sets (fresh off Korthos, RL heroic, Sharn heroic, level 20 epic (though probably most of that will be my Sharn heroic gear), mid epics, and 28/29) and just junking any non-essential loot between those level ranges. It's less micromanagement for updating equipment, and between those points there's not a huge need to update if you can get those sets built well. That said, selling all that hard farmed loot hurts my soul.
    I primarily play Zunzyne Siegemaker, and am the guild master of Ares Macrotechnology on Ghallanda.
    Reaper Experience Calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ewE/edit#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    As a side-note, SWTOR has a very similar problem with space, but that was made more difficult with the devs there making items not available anymore, which made me keep them.
    There are a bunch of items that are no longer available in DDO, mostly because of the random loot changes a long time ago. Most of them aren't particularly relevant (old versions of vorpal that specifically targeted undead or outsiders, for example, which are fully obsoleted by vorpal, or the guild augment items that are almost entirely obsoleted by power creep, or the UMD requirement random loot items that are obsoleted by never really being worth it anyway but are historically and annecdotally interesting- dwarf only docents, anyone?) but some are somewhat valuable (dual type potency quarterstaves, of which I still have a handful for various auralock combinations). For the most part, newer loot has made almost all of that old stuff not worth holding onto- as random loot, it's not like it has any special properties, though there are a few armors/weapons with cosmetic appearances that no longer drop or unusual types (such as hide armors, which can still be found in a few quest chains that use different loot gen than normal quests for end rewards) that can be of interest for aesthetic purposes.

For the most part, however, these unobtainable items are either worthless because of power creep or simply consolidate things that no longer can spawn into one slot (such as those quarterstaves, though their power level is pretty low compared to decent RNG/crafted loot now). I would like to see RNG caster staves buffed at some point, because they're almost always going to be worse than using two RNG caster sticks, but I digress. I ramble like this to say that I have some loot that I'll have a hard time parting with because I can't ever get it again, even if it is just generic trash.

Beyond that, there are some items that were grandfathered in from bugs/glitches. I remember that for a while there were celestial armors with ML4 thanks to a glitch on how augments applied minimum levels to crafted armor. Even though that was fixed, iirc the old stuff still works, even though it's typically BtC so if you don't have it you don't really need to worry about it.
    I primarily play Zunzyne Siegemaker, and am the guild master of Ares Macrotechnology on Ghallanda.
    Reaper Experience Calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ewE/edit#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by CSQ View Post
    With an overhaul to the current bank UI and system and an increase to storage space, I feel like most of the storage problems could be fixed. Again, though, I'm not a software engineer so I have no idea how much work/headache/broken things that would entail.
    Finding a storage solution that goes past 100 items shouldn't be that hard... it just needs to store reference numbers of items and xtra effects. Storage is dirt cheap now days, whether it be SAS, SSD or even S3 cloud storage. Perhaps a problem with the underlying code, but seeing as the shared bank works well and ship storage works well, it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe put a personal storage NPC somewhere and interact with it as you would a ship storage chest or shared storage, etc... I'm sure if enough players voice their needs, the devs and management will find a solution.

Lag issues can be fixed by seperating the BTC bank from the BTA bank from the reincarnation cache interfaces so that everything does not load up/transfer at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by CSQ View Post
    That said, selling all that hard farmed loot hurts my soul.
    Indeed, why should old adventurers be forced to scrap their trophies and hard earned gear.... No way I'm scrapping my T3 thunderforged, CITW gear, T3 greensteel, eSOS, epic sands, etc.. after spending soo many hours getting/farming/crafting them. A lot of them are/can still be usefull, but you multiply that by class specific gear, sets, etc... and yeah BTC is a problem.

Cheers,