Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Garrisons Missing Pack

Is it me or has this dungeon had some graphical rework done to it?
    Ozzgood 42, 36, 15, 36, 80. Ozzbad 35, 36, 13, 34, 68. Ozzugly 40, 36, 19, 36, 98. EvilOzz 33, 36, 6, 12, 34. and Alts on Khyber
    Past Lives: Heroic, Epic, Iconic, Racial
    Reaper Points

yeah we were running this last week and my vivand noticed that the wall block tiles looked different - but we were not sure if it was because the dungeon lighting had changed, or if the actual tile graphics changed. the dungeon looked creepier to me.

there was one other dungeon in that level range where we noticed a similar change in the block tiles - I think it was either missing in action or sunken sewer?

I was not going to say what I noticed but it was the block tiles.
    Ozzgood 42, 36, 15, 36, 80. Ozzbad 35, 36, 13, 34, 68. Ozzugly 40, 36, 19, 36, 98. EvilOzz 33, 36, 6, 12, 34. and Alts on Khyber
    Reaper Points

Definitely in both Garrisons and Sunken Sewer, and it's a big change from the distressed green granite that is still present in both quests.

I have screenshots to post. I hadn't done so yet so as to not spoil the surprise for anyone.
    "When asked if the developers hate the players, as they make so many challenging jumping puzzles, their response was that they have what they consider a “… normal amount of contempt for the players.” This is good. A dungeon master should always nurse a healthy contempt for his or her players."

Maybe the Devs are waiting to see if anyone noticed and probably we all did but no one said anything. So a big thumbs up to the Devs and now do the remaining Dungeons
    Reaper Points

Interesting. I know they said (or I think they said) that they were doing some graphical tweaks, and this sounds pretty good.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MistaMagic View Post
    I was not going to say what I noticed but it was the block tiles.
    I am sorry - I did not realize this change might have been meant as a surprise from the devs. but I just thought it looked odd (and a bit creepy), I did not think it looked better than what it was before. although I do not really remember exactly what it looked like before.

when they updated the black loch quest - that was an amazing visual (and performance) change for the better, both in terms of lighting and atmosphere. I am not sure why they would do a minor wall block tile tweak with low level harbor/marketplace quests. We thought it might have to do with them changing the lighting; or I think they said back around the anniversary time that they found that there was some 'beige' screen filter that they were planning to remove to make visuals a bit sharper/clearer. I would be interested in seeing the before and after for Garrisons and Sunken Sewer.

I'm curious what it looks like now. Anyone have a screen shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Graskitch View Post
    I do not really remember exactly what it looked like before.
    Here is video of my favor farmer blasting through in a couple minutes.

I wonder if this is intentional change of wall/floor tile (I think the blocks are larger now with more wear/cracks), or if it really is just from changing the lighting? or maybe they changed something in tiles that are being used in Sharn, and some dungeons that were using those art assets were affected?

PREVIOUS:

POST (NOW):

If it was intentional, I would have liked more to see quests like Black and Blue and Newcomers get re-done. Those caves seems so generic with no detail. I would like to see them get a makeover like Black Loch.

That does NOT look right or intended. Particularly the floor tiles, which look stretched beyond the intended size, and blurry as a result. Also the transition between two different tile sets looks atrocious.

Looks quite a bit better on the walls, but the transitions between tiles are still not right at all.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Ok, here are those shots that I promised from Sunken Sewer. These show both the old and the new together, which makes me wonder if there is still more retexturing work to come.

"When asked if the developers hate the players, as they make so many challenging jumping puzzles, their response was that they have what they consider a “… normal amount of contempt for the players.” This is good. A dungeon master should always nurse a healthy contempt for his or her players."

After seeing it for myself in Garrison's... I hate to say that I hate it. It's jarring, particularly when you see the old and the new textures side-by-side. IMHO, the new ones look and feel too cartoony and prefab - boring and uninteresting. The old textures looked far more realistic and interesting. I hope they revert and undo whatever changes they made. It's not a good change - imho. The art department has long been DDO's secret weapon, but this feels like a move in the wrong direction.

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Oh my

There are now graphical issues. Especially on the floors. No stone cutter in any fantasy would do that kind of work or in real life for that matter. Might want to re-consider the ceiling changes as well.

Basically the new look is cheesy. I'm all for change, but would rollback this one.

Treasure Hunter

Default Wall of Shame

Pun intended, because it looks like a misapplied skin or wrapper. Here's my examples:

The 2nd shot is to show I was there. Heh, still got 1584 xp on the run.
    Last edited by Livmo; 05-25-2019 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    After seeing it for myself in Garrison's... I hate to say that I hate it. It's jarring, particularly when you see the old and the new textures side-by-side. IMHO, the new ones look and feel too cartoony and prefab - boring and uninteresting. The old textures looked far more realistic and interesting. I hope they revert and undo whatever changes they made. It's not a good change - imho. The art department has long been DDO's secret weapon, but this feels like a move in the wrong direction.
    I agree - I do not like the new textures; it does look a bit cartoonish in a creepy way. It would be good to find out from the devs if this change was intentional? or some unintended side-effect of the sharn expansion release?

So as some of you have guessed, this occurred as a side effect of some sharn work we did. The current plan is to fix some of the older content we have that wasn't setup properly (there are about 7 dungeons affected by this), and if I have some time I'll add a little depth to the standard textures.

Treasure Hunter

Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Fants View Post
    So as some of you have guessed, this occurred as a side effect of some sharn work we did. The current plan is to fix some of the older content we have that wasn't setup properly (there are about 7 dungeons affected by this), and if I have some time I'll add a little depth to the standard textures.

I dunno, I like the new textures. It adds an extra level of detail to update the game some. Why wouldn't you want a dungeon to appear more creepy? The only thing I would keep in mind is that the floor should be different in texture and/or color from the walls.

Let the remodel begin, rip out the shag carpet! So long as it doesn't create lag...
    Tequira ~ Josielynne ~ Rumblyn ~ Dawnalynn ~ Litzy so Ditzy

Quote Originally Posted by Josielynn View Post
    I dunno, I like the new textures. It adds an extra level of detail to update the game some. Why wouldn't you want a dungeon to appear more creepy? The only thing I would keep in mind is that the floor should be different in texture and/or color from the walls.

Let the remodel begin, rip out the shag carpet! So long as it doesn't create lag...
    Going forward you can expect the sewers to look different! Check out Scavenger Hunt in the cogs for just one example.

Quote Originally Posted by Fants View Post
    Going forward you can expect the sewers to look different! Check out Scavenger Hunt in the cogs for just one example.
    translation: sewers will now look like theyre doing their job! planar spoor for everyone!
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast