Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Song of Heroism lag

Ever since the bard songs were swapped over to the Ballad, I've had lag issues whenever in range of a bard with Song of Heroism. Whenever it reapplies every 10 seconds, it causes graphics lag for me, which I believe is caused by the skill bonuses reapplying. Before the Sharn update, I was able to get around it by casting a normal Greater Heroism, which would suppress the lag caused by the lower duration Song of Heroism. Now that Song of Heroism is untyped, there's nothing I can do to prevent the lag other than avoiding bards.

Maybe this is just due to my computer being fairly old. Are others having the same issue?
    If it's an issue for enough people, maybe Song of Heroism should be changed to be part of the Bardic Inspiration instead of the Ballad.

Systems Designer

Would love more info if you've got it. This patch I kicked all of the VFX off of it, and changed the channels to non-stack (and therefore not hit the suppression code at all)... by all rights, nothing should be visually playing on your character at all for that buff. What exactly are you seeing? VFX above your head? Is it just some frame-dropping? What's going on? Seriously, the more info the better.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

There's no VFX. Just frame dropping whenever the ballad refreshes every ~10 seconds. I'll create an iconic bard to test if there are more specific conditions for it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Would love more info if you've got it. This patch I kicked all of the VFX off of it, and changed the channels to non-stack (and therefore not hit the suppression code at all)... by all rights, nothing should be visually playing on your character at all for that buff. What exactly are you seeing? VFX above your head? Is it just some frame-dropping? What's going on? Seriously, the more info the better.
    today ran sharn arc1 all quests back to back. there was minor lagginess now and then which i suppose can be attributed to sharn just being played a lot but by and large felt normal. after we had done the 3rd quest, another player joined us on a bard - its not like stuff laged out super messily nad certainly not "every 10 seconds" but it did get noticably worse with the bard in party.
    was 3 quests without bard and 3 with as we did 1 rerun

group was a wiz EK with monk splash, a rogue with 2 fighter splash and a pure sunelf cleric running aura heals.

the type of lag was not vfx related but more the typical combat lag on bigger groups, time freezing for 1-3 seconds then the world catches up.

im not so convinced its tied to heroism. maybe some other things inside the melody that get checked against constantly in combat get a hitch when melodies' buffs gets reapplied? like ironskin to DR/PRR and mob hits calculating with those values? it seems more frequent in fights with 8+ mobs closely grouped.

its not my PC, today I had a nice comparison with 3 quests with bard and 3 without...

the bard player himself was also complaining about stronger lag and on a few occasions seemed locked in place individually for 5-10 sec

Under the assumption that it was UMD lag, I created a couple of bards to test. The only major difference is that the first took no ranks in UMD.

Both sit at a normal fps of 60 sitting at the end of an uncrowded harbor dock, looking down to avoid any interference from other players.
    During the aura refresh with no add-ons, both had about 58 FPS according to the in-game meter (Ctrl+F). This was not noticeable before opening the FPS meter.
    This remained the same after spending 10 points into the warchanter tree; this was checked to make sure the other enhancements weren't causing the issue.
    After taking song of heroism, both had 50 FPS during the refresh.
    After picking up one of each scroll sold by the level 1 arcane scroll vendor in the marketplace, the character with no ranks in UMD saw no difference. However, the character with points in UMD saw the framerate drop to 5 during the aura refresh.

I'll probably try trashing some of the scrolls my characters have for now.

Was seeing what I was calling 'hitching' on my bard very regularly last night (Sunday, first night playing her since the update).
    Didn't formally time it, but felt like 10-ish seconds, worse with more activity on screen.
    I was going to go through my video settings to see if it related, but so far haven't found anything.

Tzanna, 20/10 pure bard drow, Fatesinger, Spellsinger capstone, some swash (but only 1 pt in core, so not 'buckling), and warch w/ medium armor, tiny bit in Inq for +to hit.
    Last edited by SableShadow; 05-21-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    Brenna, Tzanna, and Tzinna Wavekin
    The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by apep1412 View Post
    After picking up one of each scroll sold by the level 1 arcane scroll vendor in the marketplace, the character with no ranks in UMD saw no difference. However, the character with points in UMD saw the framerate drop to 5 during the aura refresh.
    Good detective work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Community Member

Default Cucumbers

I was eating a cucumber sandwich earlier, and the game started to lag. Perhaps cucumbers cause lag?

Systems Designer

Alrighty, this patch should have fixed this problem*. Thank you guys so much for your experimentation. Please let me know asap if your performance doesn't improve drastically post-today's patch.

*by deleting the Skill Enhancement property from the Bard Song entirely - something something omelette and eggs

Community Member

Alrighty, this patch should have fixed this problem*. Thank you guys so much for your experimentation. Please let me know asap if your performance doesn't improve drastically post-today's patch.

*by deleting the Skill Enhancement property from the Bard Song entirely - something something omelette and eggs
    I hope performance increases. Does this mean we are losing some skill buffs? Just curious, I like as many tidbits as possible on my bard.

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by guzzlr View Post
    I hope performance increases. Does this mean we are losing some skill buffs? Just curious, I like as many tidbits as possible on my bard.
    Yes, you are. When Zyrca looks at the UI framedrops it might make its way back - until then, no promises. This is a UI bug and it's way out of my wheelhouse - so in the short term we're going to opt for performance.

In my testing, we saw a literal 600% increase in average framerate by making this change.

Community Member

I didnt notice much skill changes, seems the similar to me.

Plus or minus .6 ~~~

https://imgur.com/a/vMS20Te
    Heroic - Triple All
    Racial - Triple All
    Iconic - Triple All
    Epic - Triple All

Community Member

Yes, you are. When Zyrca looks at the UI framedrops it might make its way back - until then, no promises. This is a UI bug and it's way out of my wheelhouse - so in the short term we're going to opt for performance.

In my testing, we saw a literal 600% increase in average framerate by making this change.
    By all means! Performance over perform skill please!

Community Member

Default Guess again

As someone who plays Bards exclusively for several hours a day, not a single person from the hundreds I have run with since before and after this conversation began has ever complained about this. Whatever these foil hats are going on about, it’s not “song of heroism lag.”

While I can’t explain the results from your 600% framerate experiment, I’m pretty sure the advice you are following from the forums is not seeing a bigger picture. I fear the additions and deletions you are making to the code are not addressing the problem, and potentially creating others.

In the meantime, you’ve nerfed all my—and everyone I run with’s—skills.
    Last edited by Evean; 05-26-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Community Member

I've also noticed no change at all since the patch. Still get hitching lag nightly, whether I sing songs or not.

Systems Designer

I've also noticed no change at all since the patch. Still get hitching lag nightly, whether I sing songs or not.
    Seriously, we would love more details - the more info the better. Without more information we have no way of fixing this problem.

I just created the same test character, bought scrolls, and acquired the enhancement. I did not notice any frame dropping. The aura does not appear to be an issue for me anymore. Thanks Lynnabel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by apep1412 View Post
    I just created the same test character, bought scrolls, and acquired the enhancement. I did not notice any frame dropping. The aura does not appear to be an issue for me anymore. Thanks Lynnabel!
    This doesn’t mean the problem was fixed. It means they didn’t identify the problem correctly.

You are observing correlation, not causation.

For example: When I ride the bus, I hold a pink balloon. In 40 years of riding the bus, not one has been struck by a nuclear missile. Pink balloons prevent nuclear missile attacks!*

*Pink balloons do not actually prevent nuclear missile attacks.

Community Member

Default Look at OP's build

Seriously, we would love more details - the more info the better. Without more information we have no way of fixing this problem.
    If I, as someone who always has a song of heroism aura on, have never once observed what OP is talking about, nor has a single person who has ever walked within my aura, then the phenomenon is most likely restricted to OP’s build, not that of those around them.

I suspect you could turn the “heroism aura skill” feature back on, and again, nothing would change. Whatever OP is experiencing will be there as it always was.

An alternative solution, OP is simply observing random internet lag, and correlating it with whatever s/he happens to be doing at the moment.
    Last edited by Evean; 05-26-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evean View Post
    This doesn’t mean the problem was fixed. It means they didn’t identify the problem correctly.

You are observing correlation, not causation.

For example: When I ride the bus, I hold a pink balloon. In 40 years of riding the bus, not one has been struck by a nuclear missile. Pink balloons prevent nuclear missile attacks!*

*Pink balloons do not actually prevent nuclear missile attacks.
    Lies and misinformation...everyone knows pink balloons prevent nuclear missile attacks.
    Lyghtki | Immortalyght | Eternalyght | Annihilyght of Omega Guard on Thelanis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast