Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nightmother repeater vampirism proc's

So I carefully read the DDO wiki on Vampirism because I was thinking hey what a cool idea for self healing, equip a Nightmother repeater, pop an endless fusillade and machine-gun your life back. Maybe I finally found a good use for a repeater at end game because everybody agree's the DPS falls way off but repeaters are also supposed to be superior at weapon proc's.

The wiki states "Vampirism is available as extra effect from the new Cannith Crafting. This version of Vampirism does work on ranged weapons (including Shurikens etc) but has an internal cooldown of 2-3 seconds, i.e. it does not proc on each hit. Other versions of Vampirism do not share this limitation."

So I am thinking Nightmother isn't a cannith crafting thing, shouldn't be any problem with receiving heath on hit, (since I think every bolt makes it's own to-hit roll). Well after wasting time farming 80 totems and trading for my "Nightmother heavy repeating crossbow" I am disappointed to report the vampirism effect will only proc once per 3 bolts fired on a repeater. I will probably just feed the thing to my sentient weapon now.

Is my assumption wrong? Does each bolt make it's own to-hit roll? If so why wouldn't the vampirism effect proc on each successful hit (cannith crafted weapons aside)?

Nevermind, just read a different forum post. Vampirism nerfed to uselessness awhile ago..........to bad the dev's won't add into the description that it will only proc every 2-3 seconds, so people don't waste their time on them.

Yup, like many things in DDO, it was nerfed :/
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

The hunt for easy buttons continues! Cunning plans abound!

Quote Originally Posted by 9rileystep View Post
    Nevermind, just read a different forum post. Vampirism nerfed to uselessness awhile ago..........to bad the dev's won't add into the description that it will only proc every 2-3 seconds, so people don't waste their time on them.
    When Ravenloft was first released, I could've swore people said the Nightmother Vampirism proc did NOT have an internal cooldown. Anyways, as you have realized, the Morninglord/Nightmother weapons are sentient food, as they were meant to be. The Barovian/Macabre are however nice leveling weapons.

Some old weapons still use the no limit vampirism, such as Epic shard/seal/scroll weapons. Or at least they did. So many subtle shifts of shadow nerfs and suddenly you're not sure where you stand anymore...

Community Member

Agree. Wish the description matched the in-game effect by stating the internal cooldown.

Does anybody know if the new filigree Darkhallow or Shards of Mechanus have an internal cooldown? 1d6 @ 900 spell power w/ 120 amp would be around 80 healing (30 on R1).

Systems Designer

For the record, the internal cooldown of Vampirism is a flat 1 second.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    When Ravenloft was first released, I could've swore people said the Nightmother Vampirism proc did NOT have an internal cooldown. Anyways, as you have realized, the Morninglord/Nightmother weapons are sentient food, as they were meant to be. The Barovian/Macabre are however nice leveling weapons.
    They are only sentient food if you have raid weapons. There are a whole lot of people in the game who don't raid and/or on their first life. These weapons help narrow that gap a little bit. They are easy to get and, depending on the weapon, can be best in slot.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edgarallanpoe View Post
    They are only sentient food if you have raid weapons. There are a whole lot of people in the game who don't raid and/or on their first life. These weapons help narrow that gap a little bit. They are easy to get and, depending on the weapon, can be best in slot.
    The first one you pick as your "Yay, I'm in the Xpac now!" freebie is awesome. All the ones after that are sentient food.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    The first one you pick as your "Yay, I'm in the Xpac now!" freebie is awesome. All the ones after that are sentient food.
    Again...depends on the weapon. I am running an Inquisitor and the freebie is nice but the Nightmother is also quite useful. I have the new poison xbow from the Sharn pack but I am not sure how effective it is right now. Jury is still out on that one.

Your point is well taken though...I am just pointing out that it isn't a blanket a statement as you are making.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by edgarallanpoe View Post
    Again...depends on the weapon. I am running an Inquisitor and the freebie is nice but the Nightmother is also quite useful. I have the new poison xbow from the Sharn pack but I am not sure how effective it is right now. Jury is still out on that one.

Your point is well taken though...I am just pointing out that it isn't a blanket a statement as you are making.
    Agreed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    For the record, the internal cooldown of Vampirism is a flat 1 second.
    What would it take to reconsider that?

With the current level of statflation and power creep for max HPs and monster damage, would reverting to no-CD Vampirism really be that OP? Or making it scale in some other way, like with Positive power? The new Filigrees seem to support the idea that scaling health-on-hit can be done technically and within balance...

Because right now, a single-digit trickle of HPs every second is useful in Harbor and that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    What would it take to reconsider that?

With the current level of statflation and power creep for max HPs and monster damage
    I wonder why they even put vampirism on level 28 weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    I wonder why they even put vampirism on level 28 weapons.
    I wonder why they even put vampirism on level 28 RAID weapons...

Poor gulthias staff, they hated you so much
    Social Justice W...arlock (5e toon)
    OkarisRage, big fat purple wolf (because no need to be a bear with the new epic defensive fighting feat-getting past lives of druid and pdk so my artificer is better <3)

Vampirism should be better ML-scalable with that handicap cooldown.
    Currently:
    - 1d2 up to ML:12
    - 2d2 up to ML:29
    - 3d2 at ML:30+

Should be tripled at least!

Someone said about vampirism weapons in Korthos. Well you can't - coz crafting ML is 10, and the only lower than that ML weapon is ToEE Club ML:7
    Polska gildia DDO / Polish guild

Magia i Miecz (200), Argonnessen
    Zapraszamy!

Got to agree with the above that vamp nerf always seemed unnecessary and has become even less necessary over time. Strange how a fun, but mediocre, ability like vamperism gets the nerf bat, while an ability like "healing hands" gets added.

Squirrel Enthusiast Lokeal_The_Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9rileystep View Post
    Hopefully the patch they are about to install fixes the error where Shards Of Mechanus was missing from the loot tables, at least then melee vampirism can make a comeback where it can be useful even in reaper.

Squirrel Enthusiast Lokeal_The_Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gravisrs View Post
    Vampirism should be better ML-scalable with that handicap cooldown.
    Currently:
    - 1d2 up to ML:12
    - 2d2 up to ML:29
    - 3d2 at ML:30+

Should be tripled at least!

Someone said about vampirism weapons in Korthos. Well you can't - coz crafting ML is 10, and the only lower than that ML weapon is ToEE Club ML:7
    At one time you could, remember the old Stormhorns masterful Craftmanship items?

Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    Got to agree with the above that vamp nerf always seemed unnecessary and has become even less necessary over time. Strange how a fun, but mediocre, ability like vamperism gets the nerf bat, while an ability like "healing hands" gets added.
    think that was done in the era of monk-hate... you know, when monks with their high attack rate could stay up indefinitely on those mini-procs.

Quote Originally Posted by gravisrs View Post
    True. The closest thing to that in Korthos is the scimitar Fintan's Bite end reward from The Collaborator quest. It doesn't have vamprism, but it does have bodyfeeder.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast