Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Default A few questions

Hello,

I have a few questions, still.

- The Harper tree - um, what is it really about ? I can find no real ... "purpose" for that. I mean, it looks to me like one very ... generic tree, so to say ... If I look at other trees, Arcane Archer, for example, I do see some kind of "purpose" there : To help archers / rangers, or everyone using that kind of weapon. Falconry helps all those who want to play a character which hunts animals, for example.

- How do Wizard, Sorceror, Warlock differ in terms of gameplay ? I have one currently unactive wizard around level 10 (or was it 13 ?), so I do know how that one plays to some extrend ... But the other two ? I have read why these are different classes, but what's about the differences in gameplay ?

- How is playing a Rogue ? Is it more difficult compared to other classes ?

- Why should I play Fighter ? Or a Barbarian ? Personally, I very much rely on being self-sufficient, and a fighter isn't capable of healing himself as far as I know ...

- I miss short quests. I mean : Length : "Short". Throughout all levels. All are either medium (rare as well), or long. Most are long, and some are "very long", and I think for TOEE there must be another measure of length. Really.
    TOEE is listed in the Wiki under "long" and not under "very long". After having peeked into this, I believe that it must get a new category ... Or at least be filed under "very long".

Alrik
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    1. How is playing a Rogue ? Is it more difficult compared to other classes ?

2. Why should I play Fighter ? Or a Barbarian ? Personally, I very much rely on being self-sufficient, and a fighter isn't capable of healing himself as far as I know ...

3. I miss short quests. I mean : Length : "Short". Throughout all levels. All are either medium (rare as well), or long. Most are long, and some are "very long"
    1. I have a tendency to play mine more as a melee class, and in that respect you just need to be aware of the lower number of hit points. I'd say it is more difficult playing one than a straight melee class.

2. Well you either carry alot of potions, hire a cleric hireling or once up a couple of levels take cleric as a secondary class. I play a Barb/rouge mix and just carry a LOT of healing potions.

3. Yes after the island & harbor you pretty much say good-bye to the short dungeons. I've found Medium generally means a half hour with Long being 45min to an hour and Very Long pushing closer to 2 hours.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

- The Harper tree - um, what is it really about ? I can find no real ... "purpose" for that.

Harper tree, being universal, lets any class combination use intelligence as main stat for attack and damage. Especially crossbows, since they can't use any stat for damage by default. Also, Know The Angles is a low hanging fruit for 8 ap, without the need to splash fvs. Eldritch knights (melee wizards...), rogues, artificers benefit the most from this tree.

- How do Wizard, Sorceror, Warlock differ in terms of gameplay ?

Wizards tend to focus on DC casting, instant kills and crowd control are very powerful in reaper mode.
    Sorcerers are strong aoe damage dealers, although their DC should also be as high as possible. They can easily lead kill counts thanks to their lower cooldowns.
    Warlocks are (too) easy to use, especially for leveling purposes, can be built for damage, DC casting, even tanking. clearly a pay to win class. Also, many ppl love arguing about them, so you may expect totally different answers about warlocks.

Since Assassinate has been upgraded recently to kill ANYthing that doesn't have a deathblock buff, i guess assassins are very useful now. TWF+sneak attack is still viable dps i think. With some crafted traps (web, glitterdust), they can solo larger groups of mobs, too.
    Currently mechanics are the best base choice for crossbow combat, and a very solid choice for dps, especially if mixed with arti and fighter for fusillade and boosts. Reload, unload, mobs die. Fast. There are a bunch of great no-save options for ranged CC, too (pin, otto's whistler, stay frosty, tendon slice, Shimmering Arrowhead, Volley...)
    Acrobats seem to be extinct nowadays, definitely the worst rogue tree atm.

UMD, trapping, instant kills, secondary CC, dps... the rogue has always been a versatile class, and this hasn't changed. More difficult than some other classes, yes, but also more rewarding. A favourite of many veterans.

- Why should I play Fighter ? Or a Barbarian ? Personally, I very much rely on being self-sufficient, and a fighter isn't capable of healing himself as far as I know ...

Even pure fighters can reach high enough UMD for Heal scrolls. Also, they have plenty of feats to include magical training that reloads 12sp infinitely (and coccoon costs 12 sp).
    About that why fighter question, take a look at this: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...m%27s+vanguide.
    Barbs can be very self-sufficient with their huge heal amp and ravager t5 blood strength, they can heal fast during combat.
    Last edited by RAFAR; 05-18-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    + Cannith +
    + Csodaszarvas +
    + MCMLXXXVI + Ezredes + Giliszta + Halacska +

Thank you very much. I was becoming a bit frustrated, because at early levels there is quite a lot of stuff hidden behind closed doors - or closed chests (last nicht Delera's Tomb, end quest : 3 chests, of which 2 are closed for my Paladin. Ouch.).

I think I need to invest more points into UMD, hoping my chars will be able to use knock wands one day.

I have an Artificer shelved at level 13 I think ... I think I'm digging this one out to get that satisfying feeling of "YES ! I OPENED IT!" back.

I will definitively try a Rogue at one point.

Oh, and by the way, I have an old very weird fun build which try out from time to time : 1 level Barb, 1 level Rogue, 2 Levels Cleric ... That was my very first attempt at multiclassing, and I was young and naive at that ...

Quote Originally Posted by RAFAR View Post
    Acrobats seem to be extinct nowadays, definitely the worst rogue tree atm.
    Insert Big Lebowski Your Opinion jpeg here.

OP, I feel acrobat lends a great deal of self-sufficiency to other trees. You can do away with staff lunge and all that but the acrobat tree can be very helpful through tier 4 with a complete set of ranks. I have an primary DEX, secondary STR acrobat-assassin blend that holds his own so far (level 26 going on 27) even though he's on his first life and dangerously under-geared for his level.
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

I haven't seen qstaff builds in pugs for a long time now... which is a shame, because I believe diversity is what makes this game great.

Still, I learned a few things about acrobats using a half-orc 18 rogue / 2 barbarian build (called it "acrobarb").

Pros:

- strong base hits: double power attack enhancements plus h.orc thf line
    - insane damage to helpless targets: Brutality, No Mercy, Sense Weakness and Combat Brute, all together
    - knockout-enhanced Ear Smash, which was a superb way to deal with all kinds of non-boss enemies, including undead, elementals and oozes (should have used a spoon on helpless puddings, though)
    - running speed
    - Vault - for even faster travel, reaching ledges, jumping on priority targets

Cons:

- being a light armored melee, always had to wade into battle cautiously, especially when dcd-s were on cooldown, and this approach affected my dps
    - qstaves tend to break faster than most other melee weapons, and acrobats do not have item defense
    - as a frontline melee (with that running speed, I couldn't wait for the slow tanks), sneak attack damage weren't really utilized, except for helpless targets
    - as THF-ing usually goes together with cleaves, I frequently pulled too much aggro to handle. So I had to fall back to 1 target mode, as assassins do... and they are better for that job.

It's possible that I didn't use my acrobat properly, or not to its maximum effect, but comparing it to the other two rogue trees, I still claim that those are better.

P.S. Noticed too many "I"-s in the post, but at least it qualifies as an answer for OP's question "How is playing a Rogue ?" :P
    Last edited by RAFAR; 05-20-2019 at 02:46 AM. Reason: I
    + Cannith +
    + Csodaszarvas +

I think I need to invest more points into UMD, hoping my chars will be able to use knock wands one day.
    Another option if you want to try a pure barbarian build you can get self healing by L12 (Blood Strength), as mentioned by another poster, and in my experience a stack of CSW potions will keep you fine up until L12. In addition, if you make your barb a half-orc, you can grab "bash lock" and use your intimidate skill to open locks. So you get self heals, open locks, and barbarian all in one.

Caveat though - I love THF for cleaving and clearing trash, works great for fast leveling through heroic elite-R1 content, but for mid-upper reaper THF is very subpar (glancing blows essentially do nothing and you do not have the benefits of SWF speed or TWF off-hand effects).

It should also do fine in epics up to EE.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Thank you, your posts were helpful.

- The Harper tree - um, what is it really about ? I can find no real ... "purpose" for that. I mean, it looks to me like one very ... generic tree, so to say ... If I look at other trees, Arcane Archer, for example, I do see some kind of "purpose" there : To help archers / rangers, or everyone using that kind of weapon. Falconry helps all those who want to play a character which hunts animals, for example.
    As mentioned above, Harper allows any character to use Intelligence for To-Hit and Damage. This is huge for Rogues, esp Mechanics, but also opens the door for more creative use of stats in other classes/mixes.

Btw - Falconry does the same w/ Wisdom, which is the real selling point there.

- How do Wizard, Sorceror, Warlock differ in terms of gameplay ? I have one currently unactive wizard around level 10 (or was it 13 ?), so I do know how that one plays to some extrend ... But the other two ? I have read why these are different classes, but what's about the differences in gameplay ?
    Diff posters could post their view, but I suggest you play all 3 up to level 8 or so and find out.

\
    Mechanic w/ Great Crossbows - easy, fun, strong. If(!) you like ranged.

Because Groo smash.

There is a certain simple attraction to a class that is just all about melee. Some feel it, some don't.

Barbs can self-heal, and there are ways to get a Fighter to do it. All depends on the build.

- I miss short quests.
    Many quests are short if you skip any/all optionals and simply beeline to the quest objective (aka "zerging", to one degree or another).

TOEE is listed in the Wiki under "long" and not under "very long". After having peeked into this, I believe that it must get a new category ... Or at least be filed under "very long".
    As above, ToEE is not that long is all you do is go to for the keys and get to part 2, then, there, beeline to Zuggtmoy. If, otoh, you visit every side room and hunt for the rare encounters and random chests and grab most/all the optionals, yeah, quite a lot more to do.

Can I do Cannith Crafting with orbs ? Do they fall under the category "shield", then ?

Yes, you can (and blanks drop w/ both red and, rarely, blue slots).

Orbs now have their own category, and take similar enchantments to shields, but some additional ones as well (perhaps most notably, specific Spell Lore or Insightful Spell Power as a suffix).

Thanks, I'll try that.

Thanks, I'll try that.
    Melee in general is forgotten about by the devs and it shows, bad gear and bad level design combined with the incredibly dumb ai and melee dps output on mobs made a lot of players stay away from the melee playstyle.
    I suggest you do the same, it's awesome only in low level.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Good luck relying on pots and Scrolls , specially when you're melee and in the frontline.

Fighter Says: "Hold my sword mister Ogre. I need to use a scroll with 50% of success( 20 tries later...). Right, thats it.Gimme it back. Thanks mister ogre, let us continue?"

I see fighters as a versatile class good for multiclassing. They bring alot to multiclass at low cost to a vast range of builds (melee and ranged) but have hard time being self sufficient as pure class. Cocon helps alot but only on epics and you need to also spend a feat on a unnatural way to the class just to use it efficiently. Barbs feels easier with "blood strenght", "blood tribute" and "I like pain".

That may be just me whining but I mainly play melee, more specific THF and i agree with what lyrecono said. I've been playing some first life mechanic rogue and a sorcerer recently and i can feel the gap. Melee playground is significant behind. But is better for you to see it by yourself.

Locked chests and hiddend treasure are cool but it ends up mostly being just some extra coins that is virtually useless right now. You aren't missing much if not for some specific rare quests that requires trappers or some shiny loot/opt hidden.

TOEE is more about luck and character power. Part 1 can be long if the massive recurrent encounters are challenging for your group. Part 2 can be very long if you get the bad luck of unlocking the end area just after visiting every other area, divided groups are mandatory here if you want to hit a fast completion.
    Last edited by DaviMOC; 05-27-2019 at 09:39 AM.

- Why should I play Fighter ? Or a Barbarian ?
    Because melee have never been more relevant and needed than now. Higher the skulls, the bigger the damage output and survivability advantage becomes apparent.
    Monk is still the best melee imo, paladin sucks, if you don't wanna play tempest or wolf like masses, that leaves kensei or barbie for "classic melees". I'd stick with twf though.

Shahang (hjeal me), Wipekin (inquisitor), Nezhat (inquisitor) Ghallanda/Devourer

Thanks.

Another question : I got confused with the difference between Deathblock and Deathward.
    The Wiki tells me the differences :

"Original Deathblock enchantment does not protect against negative energy attacks such as Energy Drain, Enervation, Harm, and Inflict wounds spells. Protection from these effects requires Deathward."

"Death Ward is more powerful than the continuous item enhancement called deathblock, which only protects against death effects, and not other kinds of negative energy."

So this still means I need both ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wipey View Post
    Because melee have never been more relevant and needed than now. Higher the skulls, the bigger the damage output and survivability advantage becomes apparent.
    Monk is still the best melee imo, paladin sucks, if you don't wanna play tempest or wolf like masses, that leaves kensei or barbie for "classic melees". I'd stick with twf though.
    Relevant? Hardly, especially when ranged can do more damage and from a safe spot
    And are they melee?
    Is autoattacking held mobs called melee now? I know its all the rage in reaper (being sarcastic here, barrely any melees are seen in r7 and up over here) but in my day, melee meant trading blows with the enemy, not attacking helpless mobs because active mobs do too much damage.

Now if there was a reason to play melee, maybe people would play them more often but as of now, it is more time efficient not to play melee.

And the devs seem oblivious, steel recently mentioned he didn't understand all the melee talk on the forum, for they added so many melee options to non.melee classes.
    He doesn't seem to understand that the primairy melee classes are the worst tools to play a melee and the issues melees deal with in reaper
    2hf is broken
    The meleee reaper trees are pathetic (where caster gain enough to keep instakilling)
    The idea of being able to trade blows instead of hidding behind the cc caster's skirt is lost to the devs
    There is just such a disconect between (thf) melee players and the devs, always has been it seems.

So OP? save yourself the disapointment and stay away from that broken system.
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    Relevant? Hardly, especially when ranged can do more damage and from a safe spot
    And are they melee?
    Is autoattacking held mobs called melee now? I know its all the rage in reaper (being sarcastic here, barrely any melees are seen in r7 and up over here) but in my day, melee meant trading blows with the enemy, not attacking helpless mobs because active mobs do too much damage.

Now if there was a reason to play melee, maybe people would play them more often but as of now, it is more time efficient not to play melee.

And the devs seem oblivious, steel recently mentioned he didn't understand all the melee talk on the forum, for they added so many melee options to non.melee classes.
    He doesn't seem to understand that the primairy melee classes are the worst tools to play a melee and the issues melees deal with in reaper
    2hf is broken
    The meleee reaper trees are pathetic (where caster gain enough to keep instakilling)
    The idea of being able to trade blows instead of hidding behind the cc caster's skirt is lost to the devs
    There is just such a disconect between (thf) melee players and the devs, always has been it seems.

So OP? save yourself the disapointment and stay away from that broken system.
    Putting this here just for conversation. I agree with you on 2hf, I don't see many people doing that in high reaper. But I believe that melees not running high reaper is server based, not game based. I almost exclusively play TWF melee characters. I really enjoy running high skull reaper at cap, though I definitely have plenty of room to improve. However, I see this as my own issue, not an issue with melee. I see melee rogues, monks, melee fvs, barbs, etc. pretty regularly. I agree that there's a lot less trading blows in high reaper, but if a melee can take even a couple more hits than that squishy uber insta wizard over there, and you've got a healer in the group, that stygian champ or fey touched orange-named seems a whole lot less unbeatable. Even more so when you can get a healer together. Reaper trees are a lot less useful for melee characters in terms of damage, but pump those points into Grim Barricade and you can take those extra hits. I guess what I'm trying to say is, everybody has a role to play in the party. DC casters can't destroy bosses, and melees can't take a whole pack of enemies. It's good party composition that matters, at least to me.

My two cents.

"Original Deathblock enchantment does not protect against negative energy attacks such as Energy Drain, Enervation, Harm, and Inflict wounds spells. Protection from these effects requires Deathward."

"Death Ward is more powerful than the continuous item enhancement called deathblock, which only protects against death effects, and not other kinds of negative energy."

So this still means I need both ?
    Deathblock is a passive, always-on type effect that only provides protection against any kind of instant killing effects. Finger of death, phantasmal killer, vorpal... for monsters, this protection also include turn undead, prismatic ray/spray instakill effect, banishment (it shouldn't imo, because it's not a kill effect, but screw lore, abjuration specced casters are OP) and so on.

Death Ward is a buff (spell) that includes the Deathblock effect, and the additional protection against several negative energy effects, like negative levels, inflict spells (many unholy priests and wight priests love spamming those), skeletal mages' auras etc

Then there's a new effect called Lifesealed (available only on two Mabar items so far iirc) that's also a passive Deathblock effect, but includes a % reduction in incoming negative energy damage - so it won't give the immunities of Death Ward, but a bit better than a simple Deathblock.

Having a passive Deathblock is very useful, but if you have access to Death Ward spell, you don't need Deathblock item - at least until DW gets dispelled or runs out.
    + Cannith +
    + Csodaszarvas +

Quote Originally Posted by RAFAR View Post
    Having a passive Deathblock is very useful, but if you have access to Death Ward spell, you don't need Deathblock item - at least until DW gets dispelled or runs out.
    Yeah you pretty much need both against beholders. I hate beholders. lol
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast