Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Thanks. Makes me remember my very first personal "*** moment" when I had met my very first Beholder.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

At least you can expect what beholders do if you get close enough, and can prepare with silver flame necklace or long-range attacks. They also die fast, and few in numbers, easy to get rid of in most cases.

The first time I really became furious concerning death ward was in necro2. Those irritating wraiths and ghosts, you know, that swarm on you, phasing away from your best attacks, spamming dispel and touch you for ---STR (negative energy attack that death ward would prevent so nicely) until half of the fighting time is spent with chugging dozens of lesser resto pots to prevent getting helpless with 0 str.
    Now, with reaper mode nerfing even this +1d4 gimmebackmystats potion, it's even worse. Because it's considered being a "self-heal"... :/
    + Cannith +
    + Csodaszarvas +
    + MCMLXXXVI + Ezredes + Giliszta + Halacska +

Quote Originally Posted by AlexiusTG View Post
    Putting this here just for conversation. I agree with you on 2hf, I don't see many people doing that in high reaper. But I believe that melees not running high reaper is server based, not game based. I almost exclusively play TWF melee characters. I really enjoy running high skull reaper at cap, though I definitely have plenty of room to improve. However, I see this as my own issue, not an issue with melee. I see melee rogues, monks, melee fvs, barbs, etc. pretty regularly. I agree that there's a lot less trading blows in high reaper, but if a melee can take even a couple more hits than that squishy uber insta wizard over there, and you've got a healer in the group, that stygian champ or fey touched orange-named seems a whole lot less unbeatable. Even more so when you can get a healer together. Reaper trees are a lot less useful for melee characters in terms of damage, but pump those points into Grim Barricade and you can take those extra hits. I guess what I'm trying to say is, everybody has a role to play in the party. DC casters can't destroy bosses, and melees can't take a whole pack of enemies. It's good party composition that matters, at least to me.

My two cents.
    they very few melees i see are often doublestrike or dodge abusers like monks or wolfbuilds, etc, weapon users are simply not played ( so not even a dual axe weilding dwarven fighter or dual kopesh barb/figter/etc)
    and they aren't meleeing, they are auto attacking held mobs, that's the big issue here, it's sitting on your hands untill stuff is held for you, trading blows is just gone.
    And a healer? where are they? not where i'm at, not when i'm on, not capable of handling content (aka not enough pastlives& gear or lacking the common sense to stay behind and heal instead of zerging ahead with a maul and die in 1 hit).
    and with that in mind, why bring a melee that requires healing when multiple ranged toons can easily out dps them and from a save spot?

As for putting all the points into the reaper Tank tree?
    Why?
    does a caster have to do that?
    Does a ranged toon?
    Why should melee (2hf) dps toons have to put all their eggs in the reaper tank tree? How about the devs get of their backsides and fix the problems they put there in the first place instead of us tap-dancing around the issue and trying to find out of the box ideas to as a (2hf) dps melee to function in a mandatory setting that dc based casters and ranged toons can do right out of the box.
    And yes, i said mandatory, elite lfm's are not responded to and people will always expect you to have certain dc's or hp, it always has been like this and won't change anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    Now if there was a reason to play melee, maybe people would play them more often but as of now, it is more time efficient not to play melee.
    You should really try how one of those "caster and ranged parties" work and perhaps even enlighten us with the results. Can't wait for 30 mins multiple deaths slogs.
    Because full melee party with healing and caster support zergsmash r10 in record time.

You must have reasons for your forum crusade, but blatant misinformation is pushing it.
    "Time efficiency" - no you can't beat melee party speed and quest completions times.

Shahang (hjeal me), Wipekin (tempest), Nezhat (barbie) Ghallanda/Devourer

Quote Originally Posted by Wipey View Post
    You should really try how one of those "caster and ranged parties" work and perhaps even enlighten us with the results. Can't wait for 30 mins multiple deaths slogs.
    Because full melee party with healing and caster support zergsmash r10 in record time.

You must have reasons for your forum crusade, but blatant misinformation is pushing it.
    "Time efficiency" - no you can't beat melee party speed and quest completions times.
    30 min? Pffff
    None of us have the time for 30 min quest and maybe 3 deaths in an afternoon of playing, at best.
    3casters, 3ranged toons in r10.
    I'm not gone spoil all their builds but it"s sad that a melee tree recharges better with ranged attacks and consistantly puts out a rapid set of attacks that crit for 80 to a near 100k damage, from a safe space, without the risk of getting hit.

Pffff realy? 30 min completions with deaths? You crack me up.

Only in very rare situations does it take 30 min or longer, the endquest in the mines comes to mind, that boss is nasty.
    An r8+ TS over 10 min is considered a failure.
    Last edited by lyrecono; 05-29-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    30 min? Pffff
    None of us have the time for 30 min quest and maybe 3 deaths in an afternoon of playing, at best.
    3casters, 3ranged toons in r10.

Pffff realy? 30 min completions with deaths? You crack me up.
    Happy to amuse you and not vice versa.
    I only do high skulls few times a month. Wednesday and Thursday last week's r10 on my barbie in melee party with (arguably the best :P) caster and hjealer support. Or maybe melees support casters ? Maybe you leave regular trash for instakiller and murder reapers, deathwarded champs or bosses ? Who knows.

I'd love to get a ranged party together but sadly almost noone plays them really since everybody kinda realized how slow and painful parties with weak, kitey and squishy "front lines" quest completions are. Maybe you can enlighten us with hard evidence ?

But please, continue your tirades how melee is so bad in every single thread.
    Last edited by Wipey; 06-04-2019 at 04:32 AM.

Shahang (hjeal me), Wipekin (tempest), Nezhat (barbie) Ghallanda/Devourer

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    Hello,

I have a few questions, still.

- The Harper tree - um, what is it really about ? I can find no real ... "purpose" for that. I mean, it looks to me like one very ... generic tree, so to say ... If I look at other trees, Arcane Archer, for example, I do see some kind of "purpose" there : To help archers / rangers, or everyone using that kind of weapon. Falconry helps all those who want to play a character which hunts animals, for example.

- How do Wizard, Sorceror, Warlock differ in terms of gameplay ? I have one currently unactive wizard around level 10 (or was it 13 ?), so I do know how that one plays to some extrend ... But the other two ? I have read why these are different classes, but what's about the differences in gameplay ?

- How is playing a Rogue ? Is it more difficult compared to other classes ?

- Why should I play Fighter ? Or a Barbarian ? Personally, I very much rely on being self-sufficient, and a fighter isn't capable of healing himself as far as I know ...

- I miss short quests. I mean : Length : "Short". Throughout all levels. All are either medium (rare as well), or long. Most are long, and some are "very long", and I think for TOEE there must be another measure of length. Really.
    TOEE is listed in the Wiki under "long" and not under "very long". After having peeked into this, I believe that it must get a new category ... Or at least be filed under "very long".

Alrik
    Alright, quick answers:
    - Harper tree: It's situationally useful (notably, it's the only way a Wizard Eldritch Knight gets to use Intelligence as a damage stat), but it's also the very first global tree to ever get released, and they originally meant them to be generic. It also allows Artificers to get Int to damage and to hit early and without needing to maintain a buff. Finally, it's part of many builds because of Know the Angles. Even without a complete focus on Intelligence, it's still a pretty nice amount of tactical DCs and damage at higher levels.

-Wizard: Focus on crowd control and spell DCs. They can also turn themselves undead which in low Reaper or Elite, is a mighty fine source of self healing.
    -Sorcerer: Focus on casting spells that deal damage, fast.
    -Warlock: Warlock is very versatile, but it's also less resource-intensive. You'll find sorcerers running out of mana and being entirely incapable of getting out of a bind, while this never happens to a warlock. Because of this versatility, I reckon it's still the most newb-friendly caster class.
    -- Notice that all three are arcane casters, and many of their spells are shared among all three, which means that they can borrow each other's traits for a while - just not do it as well as the intended class would. You can choose to pick the full suite of attack spells as a Wizard and still kick ass and then some, but you won't kill things as fast as a Sorcerer with the same intention.

-If you like soloing, it's true that Fighters can be a bit tricky to play. However, using the free feats a Fighter grants, you can build around another class' tree while still maintaining a majority of Fighter levels and pull ahead. Barbarian is a slightly less resilient Fighter with a splash of self-healing capability.

- Rogues need a bit more game knowledge to make work, but they're among the highest damage-dealing classes and builds in the game at the moment. They also natively get Use Magic Device, a skill you should cross-class on any class that doesn't, but not having to cross-class it means you can get access to many magical goodies earlier. Warlocks do it better, and earlier, but Warlocks don't get trapping or evasion.

- "Short" quests are beginning quests, meant to teach about the game, though if you like shorter quests, I'll recommend this: buy Sharn. A lot of the quests are rather dangerous for their level, but they're also very quick compared to many others of their kind.

Thanks again.

I was digging out my ancient fun build, which has now 3 classes. It's a fun build, after all.
    However, I can see only 2 class tree sections, but not the third.
    Is this a bug ? How can I make the third class tree section visible ?

Edit : I found the answer in another thread : Using that tiny drop-down menu ...
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 06-08-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Edit : I found the answer in another thread : Using that tiny drop-down menu ...
    Yep - and you can left-button drag/drop the circles (w/ the tree icon) left or right and re-arrange their order to however you wish.

Maybe Xoriat had a hold on me when I found this idea : It's so absolutely crazy that I'm not sure I'd want to do it :

A 3 casters multibuild !

Sorc + Wiz + Warlock ...

Or did someone a build like that already ?

Background : I'm fond of ... "breaking clichés" and trying out things that are not to be found via the main motorhighway ... The more odd, the more interesting to me in gaming (not in Real Life, though, maybe I'm doing this in gaming as some kind of counterweight to my job, where I have to be exact and formal, apart from the usual casual talk with my coworkers).

To me, the term "theorycrafting" rather means this : "Inventing odd theories of how mechanics could work out or fit lore-wise". I'm already called "Wiki" in my SWTOR play group already.

3 casters multibuild !

Sorc + Wiz + Warlock ...

Or did someone a build like that already ?
    That would have to rely solely on enhancements and class features (like SLA's, or a Warlock's false-life buffs). Offensive spell casting alone would be terrible SLA's work off character level, so those would be fine, but spell DC's are based on Class Caster Level, and by breaking that up so much each of the 3 would be fatally diluted by the other two.

If you could come up w/ a way to make this a melee, and use most/all the spells as (de-)buffs or no-save effects. then you might have something.

Thanks. I had forgotten the spell DC's. Shows how much inexperienced I am regarding mechanics / builds.

I put this here because I don't want to Abbott anything :

It's a rumor right now : That the Ranger class might get an official update : https://www.thegamer.com/baldurs-gat...-class-change/

I think I've found a new term : Not "necroing" a thread or discussion, but reather "abbotting" it.

Anyway, I just wanted to announce that i have FINALLY been able to get an Ebberron campain setting book YESTERDAY (after so many years and prices reaching rather unrealistic realms) at the FeenCon in Bad Godesberg. This convention has 30th anniversary this weekend, and it was a very nice time i had there.
    (Bad Godesberg is located south ob Bonn. Bonn was the capital of Germany (West) before the Wiedervereinigung. There are still some ministries there, but most have moved to Berlin.)

Having read through most of it, I have found that I had misunderstood the nature of the Docents (the things for Warforged and other constructs). Nowhere, neither in the game nor in the game's handbook or in the Wiki, was any hint of them being "intelligent, magic thing, made to support and give councel to warforged ones" (my translation from the German-language book), having a place like an amulet at the body of the warforged one.
    Now I understand the name "Docent", too. It is more like a docent at a university, not directly holding lectures, but rather as some kind of councillor.

This article describes these things more : https://dnd4.fandom.com/wiki/Docent

With this description, it appears to me that they might be used for more things than just as buffs. They might help warforged ones in non-combat skills, too. At least I guess so.
    I wonder whether they could be made - technically - to be ccome some kind of "sentient items", too. Only for warforged ones, of course. (Like described in the last sentence of the linked description above.)

I think I've found a new term : Not "necroing" a thread or discussion, but reather "abbotting" it.
    Hey, Abboooott!!!

Having read through most of it, I have found that I had misunderstood the nature of the Docents ... "intelligent, magic thing, made to support and give councel to warforged ones"
    Huh - I had always assumed it was some sort of carapace. Cool, I do like this concept better (and that explains why they have no weight!), thx!

The Sharn FAQ says that things will be purchaseable with Points. https://www.ddo.com/en/masterminds-sharn-faqs
    Can anybody tell me whether this includes the Inquisitive Tree as well ? The tree is not in the standard edition of Sharn.
    And what does the term "universal tome" mean there ?

Community Member

The Sharn FAQ says that things will be purchaseable with Points. https://www.ddo.com/en/masterminds-sharn-faqs
    Can anybody tell me whether this includes the Inquisitive Tree as well ? The tree is not in the standard edition of Sharn.
    And what does the term "universal tome" mean there ?
    The Vistani tree didn't get released to the public immediately after Ravenloft was, but some time afterwards if I recall correctly, so there's a chance this is what'll happen in this instance.

If you want to get access to the tree, you can get it without spending more points by buying the expansion and getting the full favor for Sharn - that unlocks the tree just like doing all of Ravenloft unlocks Vistani for the character that did it.

Universal Tome is like a Racial Tome (so, +1 AP you can only spend in your racial enhancement tree), but that +1 AP is now only available for Universal trees (Harper, Inquisitive, Falconer, Vistani)

I'd really like to try out the Inquisitive tree at lower levels, but it unlocks via favour per character - and unless I TR (and I'm so long away from that that I don't even consider it), it doesn't make much sense for me - considering for what levels the Sharn quests are made for.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides, I was ablre to get 4 Eberron novels - 3 Inquisitive stories - in NEW condition in an old role-playing games shop in the next big town. I really liked those novels so far (2/4 read), and I really hope that there'll be more of that.

But what I'm REALLY curious about is - how Volo would see Eberron ?
    Since Elminster almost made it to there, he could send him there to investigate ...
    I just can imagint the headline : "Volo's Guide To Eberron" ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to have a Bard within my "arsenal of characters". In how far is it possible to solo with that class ?

During this summer's sale I bought the Half-Elf ... Would that work ?

(To be frank, the very first role for my next character is going to me a mule - but Bard is actually someting so much different than any other class I've played so far except maybe Cleric that I'd like to try this class out. and yes, I'm kind of an altoholic. )

I've been reading through recent discussions, in which most people lament about being a Bard being a rather not-so-good class choice (to put it mildly), but there were also other voices saying that a Bard is quite good, just not a DPS-heavy class. Of course, the Bard's original role is that - I think - mainly of a supporter.

But I'd like to be able to solo, too. Since that's my current main play style. (Grouping later at higher levels. When UI've learned enough of the basics [ I hope ] ).

And, plus, when I group, what would be expected from me ?

And, last (so far), looking at the current trees - which trees would fit into a Bard ? Are there splashes creating good effects ? Dragonmarks ? Other races ?
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 08-15-2019 at 06:52 AM.

When were Rogue Hirelings removed from the game ?

I can't find any.

I vaguely remember having employed a few when I was more active, until 2013.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast