Default Revisiting /follow

I know this topic has been brought up in the past and there are (rightly so) some concerns with it, but I'd like to make my case.

The best use case is for multi-boxers. Admittedly a small segment of the user base, but still a population with its own needs. As a multi-boxer I have found certain types of quests significantly less enjoyable simply due the layout and my need to continually alt-tab and adjust run patterns. I don't care that there are *many* places where its use would be deadly, obviously is shouldn't be usable in all situations. I can only say that it would increase my personal enjoyment of a lot of content.

I've read a fair number of the older threads on the topic and the objections appear to boil down to:
    A) It would make things too easy for pikers (I'd say if you have pikers auto-following, the game's terrain can easily be leveraged to... de-incentivize unwanted followers,)
    B) Multi-boxers are just self-pikers who should be punished with ghost-pepper enemas (which is a wholly different discussion and if the devs feel that way, okay, but say so, (and 3x VIP subs and 3xexpansions buys,)) or
    C) It couldn't be implemented well enough (and I wouldn't expect it to work even as well as hireling following. Hireling following with the teleporting.)

So... pretty please? I can tell you that even more than windy quests, ones where we retrace our steps a lot lose their luster for me. Between those two the new content has been a bit less fun.
    Bogenbroom's legion... 102 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Community Member

The way I understand it is this: multiboxing is allowed, but not supported. So that means they arent going to devote dev time and resources to facilitating better multiboxing.

Which I think is proper. Like you said, its a small portion of the playerbase, and its not really an activity that the devs should be "encouraging" since it can create some pretty stark disparities, devalue hirelings (who are in line for a revamp soon, along with pets, IIRC) and discourage actual grouping which is healthier overall for the playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    I know this topic has been brought up in the past and there are (rightly so) some concerns with it, but I'd like to make my case.

The best use case is for multi-boxers. Admittedly a small segment of the user base, but still a population with its own needs. As a multi-boxer I have found certain types of quests significantly less enjoyable simply due the layout and my need to continually alt-tab and adjust run patterns. I don't care that there are *many* places where its use would be deadly, obviously is shouldn't be usable in all situations. I can only say that it would increase my personal enjoyment of a lot of content.

I've read a fair number of the older threads on the topic and the objections appear to boil down to:
    A) It would make things too easy for pikers (I'd say if you have pikers auto-following, the game's terrain can easily be leveraged to... de-incentivize unwanted followers,)
    B) Multi-boxers are just self-pikers who should be punished with ghost-pepper enemas (which is a wholly different discussion and if the devs feel that way, okay, but say so, (and 3x VIP subs and 3xexpansions buys,)) or
    C) It couldn't be implemented well enough (and I wouldn't expect it to work even as well as hireling following. Hireling following with the teleporting.)

So... pretty please? I can tell you that even more than windy quests, ones where we retrace our steps a lot lose their luster for me. Between those two the new content has been a bit less fun.
    This game has the best follow command ever. Soul stone your alt, rez at named fights.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    The way I understand it is this: multiboxing is allowed, but not supported.
    It's clearly supported to some degree, since to do it on one box you have to select the option in the drop down menu.

As a multi-boxer myself, I totally agree. As already said, the wa is to carry around soul stones. Still, I think it would also benefit other type of players as well.
    I think it's important to encourage all types of play style, and I do believe SSG earns more money on multi-boxers.

Personally I multi-box primarily when I farm. Otherwise I prefer to play in group and to raid.
    Proud officer of Spellbinders: http://spellbinders.shivtr.com/
    Lyrandar(EU)->Devourer(EU)->Cannith

Community Member

As a person that never multi-boxes I have to say that the lack of a /follow command has always been a disappointment to me. This has been a staples in MMORGP's from the beginning and it should be in this one as well.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

I've got a silly, a *really* silly question : Does /follow work with Hirelings ?
    I mean, the answer should be "yes" or "you don't need that, since they follow you anyway".

Sorry, but thoughts like this frequently pop up in my mind.
    Kind of "thinking the unthinkable".
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Community Member

/Signed!

For me, the best use case is to get my wife to run Tempest Spine, or just about anything if she or I might have to go AFK because of ongoing problems at work or kids in the kitchen or whatever. NWO has it, and if we are in a situation where we might have to AFK then NWO becomes a better choice than DDO because DDO still doesn't have /follow.

Second best is helping a new player through a quest and they keep getting lost in obscuring mist or whatever. Tell them to just /follow me until we're past the tricky part. DDO is already way too hard on grouping, and lack of /follow is just one more example.

Multi-box is 3rd for me. I do multi-box sometimes, mostly to get a family member flagged for a quest so we can play together, and it would certainly be appreciated there, too.

There's been precious little added to DDO in the past year that has improved my experience, this would be one of the few uses of developer time that I'd wholeheartedly welcome.
    I am profoundly disappointed with the current state and direction of DDO, and my purchasing habits reflect this. A drastic improvement in quality of life, transparency, and honest communication would improve my spending. Promises and "more squeeze" will not.

Community Member

Hirelings can carry your party's soulstones, and set to Guard a particular party member.

They also get a +20 bonus to save vs traps, and if far away enough can teleport to your ghost, even underwater.
    I recall this being rather useful on a Crucible run, after everyone in the party had died trying the water part I got a hireling to carry our soulstones to a shrine, then guided the hireling through the water again to the objective.

---

I forgot to say I like the idea of a follow command itself. (Ideally, I'd like some way of summoning hireling versions of alts)
    Last edited by JollySwagMan; 05-18-2019 at 10:03 AM.

B) Multi-boxers are just self-pikers who should be punished with ghost-pepper enemas
    I was thinking about htis bit and it occured to me that the issue here *might* be people that multi-box with other players. That I could certainly see as an issue. Multi-boxers should never do that, of course, unless they were upfront about it. Even then,its iffy.

Glad to see, in general, a level of support for /follow. Pretty please, devs?
    Bogenbroom's legion... 102 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Bounty Hunter

To get your other account to follow:

1) Make sure the defenses of the other character isn't too strong
    2) Have them zerg into room with mobs
    3) Pick up soul stone

It's amazing, they will follow you all the way to the end and you can raise them to loot the end chest.

I have playing characters on 2 accounts so I do multi-box solo or with 3 friends, but I give out more loot than I keep when playing with friends and one friend also plays with another account for extra loot when there is something new.