Community Member

Default Dust off the old content.

Please update the old gear. This has been done with Carnival, and Red Fens, and Sentinels, and it is really nice. The gear is actually good for level. But there is TONS of gear out there that needs updating. I can't imagine this is a complicated thing to program. Most importantly, there is a lot of wonderful old mechanics that encourage people to spend time in the game that are pretty much 100% useless. Epic crafting for one. I farmed and saved shards, scrolls, and seals for years hoping to make a really nice piece of lv 20 gear, and now there is lv 10 gear that drops frequently that is better. All it takes is someone to take the time to change +6 stat, to +9 or +10, increase ALL those old weapons to have appropriate dice modifiers of 1.5 or 2.0. Green steel is amazing, but the effort to craft is negated by the fact it is not the actual best for level anymore. Not to mention Dragoncraft in Siber Atoll. There are a lot of amazing quests and stories in the game that are virtually ignored because the xp is mediocre, but more important the gear is useless. I actually see new players constantly start playing and they are trying out the game F2P and I can't recommend they spend their precious DDO points on almost any content because it is useless. I can say, oh save up this really high amount to buy this pack, not because it has anything good in it, but because people run it regularly for exp. I doubt any new player is going to play through the highly limited f2p quests enough times to buy Ravenloft, or slavers, or anything that is actually worth while in the game, maybe 3bc although that gear needs updated too the exp is the only real value to the pack. I really try hard to help out new players and make the game fun, but there is only so much I can do when every blue named item that drops is vastly inferior to the random loot they collect.

Community Member

Lyn is working on it, it just takes time.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

My hopes are up for that Keep On The Borderlands thing.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    My hopes are up for that Keep On The Borderlands thing.
    The recent content in most aspects really outshine the old quests, id also rather have new stuff now that the quests again feel more DnDish than Gauntletish.

Yes, but the old quests have some kind of charm of their own. It's almost like ... coming from another age ...

In RL I often like to turn myself into preserving things for following generations, so that they can learn from what we did (Archaeology is my favourite passive hobby), so reading in the Wiki about "Retired Quests" I find it kind of sad that so many early quests were removed. Why not reintroduce them again ?

I wouldn't be angry if I had to recue another one from an Necromancer, considering how much spread Undead are already in Stormreach - anyone remember "Gerti, The Necromancer" ? That was before my time, so I have no idea about how that was. Or the whole starter "training areas" ... I'd like to have them back, because, even although Korthos is an excellent starter area which very much created in the player the feeling of being part of / in a lving world, and of "having achieved something", it doesn't explicitely "teach" people many things. The very first quest that requires a lot of sneaking is - at that level, for first-lifers ( ! ) a very difficult quests : "Stealthy Repossession". It is to me one of the hardest early quests I know, because I fail it so often when playing a character with limited sneaking abilities (Paladin, for example).
    I often think that Newbies could benefit from more "stealth training" in this case.

However, when looking in how many non-Newbies are running this community, I doubt that what I see can and/or will be seen at all. There is even a term for that :"Curse Of Knowledge" : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_knowledge

Edit : I'd like to have a new free wilderness area as well.
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 05-18-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by systemshaker1941 View Post
    Lyn is working on it, it just takes time.
    And I love what she did in Carnival gear and hope other gear pases will make such nice changes too.

Any recommendation to refurbish old and under-appreciated content has my favor.

I'd like to see a few NPCs of the newer races being placed in old content - not as foes, rather as bystanders like in the crowded marketplace or harbour.
    Of course, the more rare the race, the more rare the amount of NPCs should be.
    This would also be an ideal way to let players learn lore about these races by letting them freely talk about their own kind.

Community Member

I would like to see them lower the minimum level of items over time. There are old raid items that are minimum level 13 that never get used that could easily be minimum level 1 (or at least minimum level 5) that would make them temporarily valuable again (at least until level 8 or 10 when slavers or Ravenloft gear takes over).

There are so many crafting systems that make gear that is useless due to the minimum level. Minimum level should lower automatically with time. Maybe the minimum level could drop by 1 for every X number of months so that older gear stays useful because it is useable earlier than the newer, better gear. I know I'm never going to even try to make a ToEE weapon of either heroic or epic quality. However, if the heroic weapons were level 1 and the epic weapons were level 20 (or possibly even lower if other items outcompete them at that level) I would have a real reason to want to run the content and make them.

Community Member

The original poster is right that the game isn't very friendly to F2P players. A new player either needs to be willing to make and delete several characters while they farm favor (and thus DP) or they need to be willing to spend money almost right away. Given how many MMORPG's actually let people play the entire game for free (just without the cash shop bonuses) we are certainly going to lose a lot more potential players since they don't get a chance to get truly hooked before the demands for money come.

As a person that already owns all the packs (and thus is not asking this for myself) I would like to see them release all (or at least most) of the heroic only content to all F2P players. I realize they also sell Catacombs in the DDO Market which could create a complication (though that comes with the best of all Gold Seal hirelings so is still worth buying) so perhaps they would choose to not include Catacombs (though it is really a pack that should probably be free). But there are so many other packs that people don't regularly run (Tangleroot, Sorrowdusk, Restless Isles, Necro 1 through 3, etc.) that should be free at this point as well as some packs with nice rewards (Delera's, Threnal, etc.) that should also be included. Give new players plenty of quests to play to get them up to level 20 (it is easy to get to level 20 even on a third life without playing any of the quests that have epic level options) so they can choose to run the heroic TR train for as long as they want before they finally start spending to get the epic experience.

I recently wondered : Shargon's Teeth has so many islands, why not make a second island and restore the old pre-Korthos starter area quests there ?
    But I guess that this would be a lot of work as well - plus it wouldn't be sure that this would generate enough money to keep DO running.

My best guess to generate enough money to keep DDO running is so far to translate the game into other languages, the Spanish language, for example.

But, all in all, I still believe that the Starter Pack was good move in general.

I found it a bit frustrating, though, that most beginner quests are literally dungeons ... err ... sewers ("Sewers & Dragons" ???) I wish there would be more open area quests for beginners.
    Especially since playing in swers isn't very friendly to the eyes during the bright light daylight daytime, so to say.