Default Cordovan Voiceover

I don't know about everyone else but I REALLY like Cordovan's voiceover when introducing the Sharn expansion. I do realize that he has other things to do but I feel like the Devs have a hidden gem in Cordovan. His voice is not jarring and very pleasant to listen to.

I would use him as much as you think is possible or reasonable
    When I am good I am very good and when I am bad I am better

Community Member

Much improved over Tower of Frost, I think we can all agree

While I do like the professional VO work that's done for other DM dialogue, I'd rather listen to Cordo than freaking Elminster any day of the week. I think he's suited just fine for the quirkier quests, whereas the deeper-voiced guys are better for the ones where you want more atmosphere.

I'll also say the guest DMs in Sharn have a nicely amateur quality to their lines - enough that its reminiscent of a tabletop DM, but not so poorly executed that its distracting (except the singing in Same Song, but I've expressed my thoughts on that elsewhere already)

Don't equip a sentient Jewel of the Timid then (also voiced by Cordo afaik). Sounds like he's intentionally trying to be annoying and a downer (I get the thematic choices, so bravo on that, but man it gets grating after a while lol)

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Much improved over Tower of Frost...
    Agreed. I love the voice over in the Tower of Frost but find the voice levels too low. Too lazy to go adjusting levels for each quest.
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Is that really Cordovan ? I don't remember because I didn't watch those youtube / twitch videos (yes, I'm living on the dark side of the moon) so far ... Well, only one anniversary twitch session ... (Because of the time zone ...)
    And apart from that I've never seen devs here in Europe ... Only Tolero in I think it was 2011 ? at the Games Com ...

And yes, his voice sounds good, imho.

Is there a list somewhere who does the other DM voices throughout DDO ? I only know those of the special adventures (Delara's Tomb, for example) ...
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by vryxnr View Post
    Don't equip a sentient Jewel of the Timid then (also voiced by Cordo afaik). Sounds like he's intentionally trying to be annoying and a downer (I get the thematic choices, so bravo on that, but man it gets grating after a while lol)
    Heh, no offense taken. That particular jewel is sorta meant to be like that. Recall that this particular jewel began its life as a scratch track during development, when I at least was calling it the Jewel of the Coward.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandern_Marn View Post
    Agreed. I love the voice over in the Tower of Frost but find the voice levels too low. Too lazy to go adjusting levels for each quest.
    There is a part of me that really wants to re-record that someday during my off-time now that I've had more practice with the various settings. Maybe sometime.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Heh, no offense taken. That particular jewel is sorta meant to be like that. Recall that this particular jewel began its life as a scratch track during development, when I at least was calling it the Jewel of the Coward.
    I really don't have a problem with The Tower of Frost, must be my settings. But Jewel of the Timid is critically grating more because of its personality rather than the voice whereas Jewel of the Inquisitive has a creepy, unpleasant voice and I would have named the personality differently... Jewel of the Scornful, maybe? The personality being fine but the voice reminding me too much of someone I loathe. Your voice is fine but your Jewel should have been comical, cheerful, and/or whimsical... the cowardly personality is just irritating although tongue-in-cheek fitting for someone that dies at least once a livestream.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

There is a part of me that really wants to re-record that someday during my off-time now that I've had more practice with the various settings. Maybe sometime.
    Just put some compression and re-expansion on it afterward, followed by some normalization. This will allow you to normalize the audio without lifting the noise floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Just put some compression and re-expansion on it afterward, followed by some normalization. This will allow you to normalize the audio without lifting the noise floor.
    Heh, that's exactly what I did the first time around. I've worked to mitigate the noise floor since though, as can be heard in the Sharn lines.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    I really don't have a problem with The Tower of Frost, must be my settings. But Jewel of the Timid is critically grating more because of its personality rather than the voice
    This is my problem with the jewels too, though the more I look into it I think I just might've just picked the worst ones for my first sentients...

All the commonly available jewels seem like the "quirky" ones. There's few that are just straight-laced adventurer personalities. I like Resolute for that reason. Hopeful is pretty grating, because she sounds like a Powerpuff Girl. Timid sounds even worse. I'd love to have Kobold but its way too hard to get, only available once per year and requiring a huge amount of grind (please put it in Crystal Cove too!). The new ones sound like they may be a little better, but they're also tied behind raids that make them inaccessible to a big chunk of the playerbase that doesnt raid.

I really wish that the next few jewels will be "regular" adventurer personalities, not the comic relief characters, and that they'll be more openly available for all players so those can be your "default" jewels, and then you can go after some of the more quirky ones if you want the extra personality. Doesnt have to be freebies per se like Ravenloft, but maybe as guaranteed saga end rewards or purchase for a currency like Timid.

Tower of Frost: Remastered DM's Edition, with soundtrack by Tangerine Dream

Heh, that's exactly what I did the first time around. I've worked to mitigate the noise floor since though, as can be heard in the Sharn lines.
    Now that everyone is getting into Sharn, having too many items to communicate to different alts and wanting to change their build - time to put Ottos boxes in the store and ALL shared bank item storage on sale to get the monies for the SSG Anechoic Chamber Recording Studio!
    Happy 14th DDO.

The quest 'Tower of Frost' possibly would improve with a re-recording or voice-over editing, etc.

The Eberron side voice-over where Jerry narrates:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    (Dungeon Master): The city of Stormreach is abuzz with the news that a ship has arrived to ferry passengers to Sharn, the City of Towers. The ship's captain seeks heroes looking for a grand adventure in the clouds. Speak to Captain Alban Dranmore in the Stormreach Harbo[u]r to set sail for Sharn.
    Had far better clarity and it worked well and I think that's perfectly fine. Admittedly it's not really dramatically character acted and more a standard newscaster voice but it works. :-)
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 05-18-2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Word-blindness.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

I just wondered what would be if Jewels could communicate with one another ? Like bantering ? *facepalm*
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    But Jewel of the Timid is critically grating more because of its personality.. the cowardly personality is just irritating although tongue-in-cheek fitting for someone that dies at least once a livestream.
    What's funny is that Jewel of the Timid is one of my favorites...The helpful cowardly advice still makes me smile...It the Jewel of the Hopeful that I find annoying.

It just goes to show that people have a wide variety of likes and different tastes. Thats why we need MORE SENTIENT JEWELS SSG!!! for people to pick an choose and swap out.

Where is the Jewel of Youlthoon, or Jewel of Lord of Blades or even the Jewel of the Lord of Eyes

More Sentient Jewels please in future updates and expansions

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Claver View Post
    What's funny is that Jewel of the Timid is one of my favorites...The helpful cowardly advice still makes me smile...It the Jewel of the Hopeful that I find annoying.

It just goes to show that people have a wide variety of likes and different tastes. Thats why we need MORE SENTIENT JEWELS SSG!!! for people to pick an choose and swap out.

Where is the Jewel of Youlthoon, or Jewel of Lord of Blades or even the Jewel of the Lord of Eyes

Agreed, with how long its been out, I'm always surprised that there arent more options for Sentience. Its not like new gems are mechanically different - they just need a name, a tooltip, and some audio.

That might be the problem with making jewels of existing VA characters like LoB...they'd have to get the professional VA back in studio, and that costs $$$

I would rather see them expand on what they're currently doing with Cordovan, and let the various devs record the audio in-house...Warframe famously has all its VA done by full time staff, and I dont think it suffers at all for it. Its heavily story-driven, cinematic at times, and all the characters are really well performed (or at least they were as of the last time I played). Or if not totally in-house, reach out to non-actor partners like they did for the Sharn DM acting. I think if DDO took the same tack with Sentients, it would A) allow them a lot more flexibility with creating new gems, and B) be lots of fun for them creating new characters for each other to perform

Quote Originally Posted by Claver View Post

I find Hopeful saccharin and cheerleader-like so also annoying but in a way that I can tolerate. My favorites so far are Resolute, Furious (so funny), Kobold (because I love them even if they still hate me), and now I finally, finally have a Whelm which is very nice. I still want Wave for my swash though.

I'd like Yaulthoon very much. Whomever voiced Mattie Thorn for the Cogs journals, that was a very pleasant voice and accent to listen to... May I please have a sentient jewel of the Soothing or something suitable for a healer, voiced by her? Just calm, peaceful, and kind.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd