Default OK Y'all. the Tactical Detonation Spam in Best Laid Plans.

With the 15 (or maybe 18) second Knock-Down is WAYYY over the top.

It's the kind of thing that is a TOTAL fun-killer in these quests.

Without any way to mitigate, avoid, survive it is VERY POOR FORM.

Typical turbine/SSG Developer "Stick in the Eye" we get with new amazing content.

/SMH

REALLY REALLY HATE THE SPITEFUL PUNITIVE DESIGN STYLE.

A "challenge" inherently implies it can be over-come. These types of unavoidable spam attacks from TRASH MOBS are no less than a message saying "Thanks for playing now eff off"
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature". Mokune (Guild Leader of Pandora's Box on Khyber), Iquitz, Returning, Thaumat, Ketzerisch, Xhiron, Koanoak et al...

Community Member

Yeah those sucked. A lot. The duration really should be looked at.
    I kinda blamed it on my ****** reflex save. But you're saying those don't have a save? Ouch.

Community Member

There are a few other things like this too.

One example is exploding spiders that deal large amounts of damage even to characters with very high (and no fail) reflex saves plus improved evasion. I'm hoping this is a bug rather than deliberate, because the increasing number of rules exceptions being added to the game is getting really tiresome. Not to mention the devaluation of evasion compared to MRR.

Another noteworthy one was the massive persistent stat drain effect applied by an enemy in one of the optional encounters in a chain 2 quest. Again, I'm hoping this is a bug, because it didn't seem to be cleared by a heal scroll that supposedly removes disease and applies a strong restoration effect.

Mostly I've been enjoying the new content. But, assuming these are not bugs, I really wish the developers would curb their enthusiasm for adding special cases like this to effects that normally work a certain way.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Default There *is* a Reflex Save

*and* a Reflex Save to stand up every so often throughout the 15 sec Duration. Nearly impossible Save to make on a Warlock w/o serious Stat and Gear investment in Dex/Int (via Insightful).

They also hit you through the floors in the "end fight"

Was solo (yada yada get a group w/e yada yada) but was do-able on the 2nd try with clever use of a hireling (ffs the hireling won't do anything you tell it unless you click from passive to defensive/attack first which is a serious PITA) and Jibber's Blade, Shrining.

Seems cheesy af to complete quests like this but w/e.

I agree the "scaling" on mob stat damage effects across the board needs looked at. I take more Con Stat damage from mob cast Poison spell than the spell even allows which is.../sigh
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature". Mokune (Guild Leader of Pandora's Box on Khyber), Iquitz, Returning, Thaumat, Ketzerisch, Xhiron, Koanoak et al...

Quote Originally Posted by Feralthyrtiaq View Post
    ./sigh
    So you died and the answer is to ask for a nerf to the quest within the first 24 hours of it going live?
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    One example is exploding spiders that deal large amounts of damage even to characters with very high (and no fail) reflex saves plus improved evasion. I'm hoping this is a bug rather than deliberate, because the increasing number of rules exceptions being added to the game is getting really tiresome. Not to mention the devaluation of evasion compared to MRR.
    Hmm, no I rather liked this. You can just move your feet and dodge the exploding spiders. iirc They even give a text-based warning prior to exploding. It forces players to position themselves more tactfully.

It really devalues the art of standing still, and I can see how that could be a problem for many people after all these years.
    I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.

Community Member

I agree the "scaling" on mob stat damage effects across the board needs looked at. I take more Con Stat damage from mob cast Poison spell than the spell even allows which is.../sigh
    With maximize + empower, it should cap out at 32 con damage solo on normal. More with dungeon and difficulty scaling.

With a ~2x full group elite and ~10x reaper scaling, it should hit up to 640 Con in a single cast when used against players. If they actually looked into the spell, they would find it isn't doing enough Con damage.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 05-15-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    With maximize + empower, it should cap out at 32 con damage solo on normal. More with dungeon and difficulty scaling.

With a ~2x full group elite and ~10x reaper scaling, it should hit up to 640 Con in a single cast when used against players. If they actually looked into the spell, they would find it isn't doing enough Con damage.

Community Member

One of the things I really enjoy about new quests is the fun of figuring them out at first. I love being surprised when I round a corner or enter a room for the first time. I haven't been in all of the new quests yet because I am taking my time to wander, explore, and read everything I can.

I wouldn't recommend calling for changes or nerfs just yet. Certain skills reduce your knocked down time and it is possible to trigger the exploding spiders and not be in range when they blow up. Have fun with the new challenges and enjoy the surprises before these quests become routine like many of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmj View Post
    One of the things I really enjoy about new quests is the fun of figuring them out at first. I love being surprised when I round a corner or enter a room for the first time. I haven't been in all of the new quests yet because I am taking my time to wander, explore, and read everything I can.

I wouldn't recommend calling for changes or nerfs just yet. Certain skills reduce your knocked down time and it is possible to trigger the exploding spiders and not be in range when they blow up. Have fun with the new challenges and enjoy the surprises before these quests become routine like many of the others.
    Tactical Detonation does not use a Balance check to get up. It uses Reflex save.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post

Seriously?

I suspected this was the case but Max and Emp effecting Poison spell damage just seems...idk...dumb.

Stat damage we do to mobs is (for the most part) wack. Stat damage they do to us is way unbalanced.

That Otyugh Disease you cannot remove....Just stand at the end of quest, wait for the timer (get coffee, make sandwich, w/e). Wait your 0 stats to recover 1 point then finish...

Default Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    So you died and the answer is to ask for a nerf to the quest within the first 24 hours of it going live?
    Wasn't asking for a nerf. I was asking for more thought process before making quest encounters that are spiteful and punitive.

Getting shot with Tactical Detonation through floors from mobs below you is BS and I will FOR REAL GET AS ANGRY AS I CHOOSE AND PAY WHATEVER CONSEQUENCES AS A RESULT.

DEAL WITH IT.

I solo'd it on heroic elite with a L17 pure barbarian, so I am assuming the high hit points, blood strength, and uncanny balance caused me to not really notice these issues.

I agree that spamming TD through floors and long knockdown timers are problematic though.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Wasn't asking for a nerf. I was asking for more thought process before making quest encounters that are spiteful and punitive.

Getting shot with Tactical Detonation through floors from mobs below you is BS and I will FOR REAL GET AS ANGRY AS I CHOOSE AND PAY WHATEVER CONSEQUENCES AS A RESULT.

DEAL WITH IT.
    Yes, through floors and/or walls needs to be fixed. You didn't mention that in the OP.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    I solo'd it on heroic elite with a L17 pure barbarian, so I am assuming the high hit points, blood strength, and uncanny balance caused me to not really notice these issues.

I agree that spamming TD through floors and long knockdown timers are problematic though.
    As a L18 barbarian with uncanny balance, I got knocked down and murdered in short order on R1, and knocked down and almost murdered on HE. My hireling was also knocked down and murdered so couldn't heal me. What's the point of uncanny balance if it doesn't actually prevent knockdown? Is it supposed to be negated like this?
    Last edited by Erisea; 05-19-2019 at 06:31 AM.

Just joining the mob. Can someone do something about that? Its ok to let the saves or (no saves) to be what it is. just reduce a bit the span of this and the duration? to be on the floor for 20s while a wave is coming and having less than 1s to kill all casters doing it before you're on the floor again for 20s is not very reasonable. Also not hard as the quest is a bit easy, only this is broken and unreasonable.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaviMOC View Post
    Just joining the mob. Can someone do something about that? Its ok to let the saves or (no saves) to be what it is. just reduce a bit the span of this and the duration? to be on the floor for 20s while a wave is coming and having less than 1s to kill all casters doing it before you're on the floor again for 20s is not very reasonable. Also not hard as the quest is a bit easy, only this is broken and unreasonable.
    The TD spam is a bit much.

Rather than spawning 5x Technicians at once, mix up the mobs and increase the internal CD of the TD.

I got done over by this on my first time in the quest last night.

Woke up this morning with a plan to defang that snake...... I'm going in with a beholder summons (clickie trinket m/l 15) and going to see if that gives him something else to focus on while i stand back and lay waste to his grenade spamming posterior......
    Coitfluff Coitrippr Coitrocket CoitburnerLuciforge Coithealz: Ghallanda