Default Pale Master Pass

Can we get any hints or teasers on what direction the pale master pass is going?

Not looking for specifics because it would likely change between lama land and live.

How are the devs handling the self heal penalty in reaper?

Will the summoned skelly be able to be useful in 30+ reaper more than pulling levers?

New necro abilities?

Any teasers or design choices would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Community Member

Also hoping for a dev preview.

My expectations are:

1) SLA Death Aura to free up a lvl 4 slot.

2) Less focus on the pet (one enhancement is enough), giving space for new abilities.

3) Possibility to choose any shroud. For that, all forms could get the same stat bonuses, and each specific form can then grant a secondary bonus such as: Lich = necro DC, Zombie = DR, Vampire = life steal, Wraith = concealment.

4) Some synergy between abilities. One idea I posted a few months ago was getting a buff whenever you instakill a mob, for example.

Thread with my old suggestions for the devs:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...le-Master-tree

pets are useless in the current version.

Maybe if we could.... idk feed them like sentients? to pay stats bonus

Or idk... why not simply getting rid of the skelly...
    Khyber: Pinel / Laerak / Sibeli / Kaeral / Gilmara - Crafter

I like the skelly, but its not a full companion like the wolf from druid or the iron defender from artificer.
    It would be cool to outfit the skelly also with weapons and armor for more power and individual style...

Why not giving a wizard a familiar in general in addition to the skelly for pale master enhancements?
    Argonessen - Guild: "Married with Children" / Clagor Dan - Elf - Tempest (18 Ranger / 1 Barbarian / 1 Rogue) / Glagor Dan - Drow - Pale Master (18 Wizard / 2 Rogue)

I actually like the skeleton companion - It is actually rather durable and can be used for much more then just a lever puller.

Its drawbacks is it is currently an enhancements and the inability to gear it like the Druid/Artificer.

I actually like how the shrouds are set up.

Things I want them to consider...
    1. The negative energy Touch, bolt and blast abilities - Scaling them to better work at higher end, considering that negative energy absorption, death ward and the fact it does not work on undead

2. The dying at 0 HP - While I understand this was done to prevent PMs from just lying on the ground and not getting back up, it should have been implemented similar to "die hard" where after being incapacitated for a set period of time, they get back up with some HP. Baring that, they should at least extend the time between being incap and dead.

3. Change Inflict and Harm spells to work similar to cure and Heal spells. Or fix the cure and heal spells to have their appropriate range (of course that last sentence won't be popular hehehe)

4. Add in an Epic level feat that allows bypass of negative energy resistances

5. More spells (this is just a universal request when it comes to any spell casting class)

Community Member

+1 would love to hear about the Palemaster pass.

My personal wishlist would to get temp hp from neg healing. Not Warlock large (read broken), but enough so the durability of the palemasters translates to reapers. Also, would like to see Harm added either in cores or as a tier 5 SLA, along with Death Aura and Neg Energy Burst. And the T5 animate ability gets a smaller cooldown or works on yourself. Or both. As it stands, it is inferior to just scrolling Raise Dead. It is a cool ability with good flavor, it's just the cooldown makes it unusable, especially as the raise is only temporary. And it would be awesome if it got some support in Epic Destinies or feats, but that seems unlikely.

Archmage desperately needs to get a revamp too.

I'ld like to see improved shrouding moved to t4 as current, but with maybe a higher cost, or improved to really make EK knights controller & tempest a tough sell.

Maybe vamp getting similar to darkhallow? Wraith getting prr bypass on melee, lich getting +2 global dc and mrr bypass on spells

What about a deathknight shroud? Get rid of zombie and move vamp & wraith down
    Last edited by voxson5; 06-16-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reywas View Post

Archmage desperately needs to get a revamp too.
    ^
    Archmage is in a far worse spot, but mostly because of the high end meta revolving around IKs. It feels like AM is more like a supplement to PM. Passive INT > a few specific spell school DCs.

Both have a free T5 slot, and maybe the capstones get some healthcare eventually.

Community Member

I'm also interested in seeing/discussing plans for PMs...its something I think should be discussed early on since I feel the community is going to have a LOT of input we want to give and there's a large potential for mass disappointment if something is foisted on us too hard. Save yourselves some trouble and bring us in while its still being whiteboarded.

Things I'd like to see implemented

- Partial vulnerability to Positive, like Warforged enjoy. You're not ACTUALLY undead, you're just putting on a "shroud" of undeath...maybe with a Core3 enhancement you can get 50% Positive, scaling up to 80% with a T5 or capstone. This will GREATLY improve players' ability to play PMs in parties and in endgame high-tier content.

- Bring the SLAs up to par with modern design philosophy, e.g. Spellpower scaling. I'm fine with costing HP (since SLA costs never change anyway), but they still have to be worth using.

- Zombie form needs some updating too, some reason to actually run Zombie other than 'its the only one available at Wiz 3'. Maybe change the DR into a level-based PRR bonus, or maybe Barb-style flat percentile damage absorption (stacking with Barb? Zombie Barb build?). Remove the penalties since those have become much weightier than the bonuses.

- INT-to-dmg in the Core3, like Rogue Mechanic. PM is partially a martial tree with 3 of the 4 Shrouds oriented towards fighting. An EK-PM should be a self contained melee wiz that doesnt need to multiclass or use Harper to get all the essentials.

- Skeleton needs an overhaul or a replacement. This I'll defer until we see what's coming with the Pet Pass since that will redefine what needs to be in the PM tree itself.

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    ^
    Archmage is in a far worse spot, but mostly because of the high end meta revolving around IKs. It feels like AM is more like a supplement to PM. Passive INT > a few specific spell school DCs.

Both have a free T5 slot, and maybe the capstones get some healthcare eventually.
    Agreed, AM is not really a standalone tree. The SLAs need to be reassigned so that they're all more useful options in each school. Passive bonuses is kinda what casters use though, we see that in the redesign of the EDs too. AM could include some spell cooldown reductions (like the arcane ETRs), spell cost reduction (since wiz are short on SPs compared to Sorcs), and maybe a bonus line associated with Potency/All Lore - i.e. it brings it up to the same value as specific spellpowers at a given level - since that's currently pretty much unused, and it would be nice to have one build that can go "rainbow", and Archmage seems like a good thematic fit for that.

That being said, Evoc AM is also essentially "Force Savant", which makes it a good pairing for a pure wiz EK that wants to play more to the casting side of gish since EK builds for Force.

Community Member

Yes, hopefully we hear about thoughts/plans for the PM pass soon.

An Energy Drain SLA or other ability to inflict neg levels would be a very powerful and fitting addition for a PM but maybe that is wishful thinking.

As a new PM (it's at level 12 now) I'll throw my hat into the ring...

Some kind of healy SLA would be appreciated, even if it's 12 sp. I can see a 'first time playing' pale master having a lot of trouble because they ran out of mana and can't get their HP back up, but with some trial and error I did find that neg-pots and just switching on new gear helped considerably. (equipping a heavy fort item, so I could turn off undead-mode without getting crit at low levels)

I noticed there wasn't a Tier-5 ability for people who wanna run with pets, which is unfortunate. Another thing regarding pets that was unfortunate was that I can't re-summon my pet once it dies. I'd like the ability to summon it multiple times, but perhaps in the name of fairness, the cost(s) go up in increasing increments?

Additionally. The skeleton dude doesn't have a ranged attack, which makes it challenging to justify having him for certain quests. I'd like the ability to have the skeleton be either an archer OR a sword-dude (or maybe a sword dude who can switch to ranged, or has a special ranged attack you can click?), so if it's a quest where I will have to have ranged, I've got something for that. Gear for the skelly would be nice too (the option to choose which item slot would be cool, and not just for PMs, but for all pets).