Default Dashing Inquisition-You can Swashbuckle while wielding a Light xbow?

Sure you can swashbuckle with it but AFAIK there are not any critical profile benefits for doing so as light cross bows are not listed as a "swashbuckling" weapon.

"Dagger, Shortsword, Throwing Dagger: +1 Threat Range, +1 Multiplier
    Light Mace, Light Hammer, Kama, Sickle, Dart, Shuriken, Throwing Axe, Throwing Hammer: +2 Threat Range, +1 Multiplier
    Kukri, Rapier: +1 Multiplier
    Handaxe: +2 Range
    Light Pick: +1 Range"

Am I missing something with this, even though you can swashbuckle with it, why would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Swimms View Post
    Am I missing something with this, even though you can swashbuckle with it, why would you?
    You are not missing anything. There is very little, if anything, that makes swashbuckling InQ good.

Community Member

You can get the core swashbuckling bonuses as well as off hand/rune arm style. It's very minimal and I didn't put any points in swash when I did my first iconic tiefling with 12 bard levels.

Dashing scoundrel is a decent perk. +6 damage and 10% double shot. While you are on your way to grabbing dashing scoundrel, action boost double strike and elegant footwork are nice too. Though the boost does not require swashbuckling. Building a bard inquisitive would still require harper and being int based imo for decent damage. Or one of the other ways to get a damage bonus from a base stat.
    Last edited by Jetrule; 05-13-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Community Member

Yeah you can...you just wouldn't ever want to. I imagine they were afraid of /3 bard inquis being too strong as a template class if you could get 18-20/x3 and dex/cha/int to dmg with just 3 bard and enough ap, though.

All the options outside 5% ds are weak though. Divine is pointless except specifically for fvs "of battle" feats. Arcane is totally pointless too, I wish they'd change it to "law on your side now scales with 50% spell power instead of ranged power"

I prefer Inq + War Chanter, although going bard is prolly not the optimal for Inq.
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetrule View Post
    Dashing scoundrel is a decent perk. +6 damage and 10% double shot. While you are on your way to grabbing dashing scoundrel, action boost double strike and elegant footwork are nice too. Though the boost does not require swashbuckling. Building a bard inquisitive would still require harper and being int based imo for decent damage. Or one of the other ways to get a damage bonus from a base stat.
    Not sure what people are talking about in this thread except this post. This post gets it.

A Bard 3 splash for Inquisitive is pretty good.

Community Member

I see bard splash as decent. If Different Tack worked with Inquisitive, I could see a lot of fun builds.

Quote Originally Posted by GramercyRiff View Post
    Not sure what people are talking about in this thread except this post. This post gets it.

I am assuming that if you use rune arms you are forced to take cannoneer? The rune arm counts as "off hand", thus eliminating Dashing Scoundrel as an option for swashbuckling inquisitive artificers?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swimms View Post
    I am assuming that if you use rune arms you are forced to take cannoneer? The rune arm counts as "off hand", thus eliminating Dashing Scoundrel as an option for swashbuckling inquisitive artificers?
    If you use rune arms then bard splash ain't much good.

You can, yes. It is an option. Is it a good option... eeeeh.

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GramercyRiff View Post
    You're spending 3 class levels to get....a smattering of dodge and doubleshot? And giving up 5% DS in the tree itself to be able to Swash with DXB and get it.

Inquisitive is pretty self contained - and the one thing it really needs, it can only get from Harper or Falconry. That makes Inqui a pretty AP-hungry build as it is, so going into Swash for lagniappe like that means you might not be able to T4 a tree in your main class.

If you wanted to go main-class Bard for Inqui, that's feasible. You get heals and buffs, you get your Songs that dont require AP to unlock, thats a pretty nice complement for soloing in Heroic, though you wont be able to use your DC spells. But splashing /3 for Swash seems like you'd almost always be giving up more than you got, for any reasonable option for your 17/