Community Member

Default Back after 2 years off Looking for a fast lvling heroic monk build.

I played monks for many years until I took a break for awhile. I am back at it and working on my completionist. I am 2 years out of date on any changes or nerfs. Is a monkcher still the dps monster or are unarmed now better in heroic? Is a strength or wis build more viable. My main aim right now is fast heroic leveling. A link to a solid build would be great.

Thanks for your advise,

-Quiet

In the world of heroics, monkcher is still quite strong (assuming you're playing a race with AA or cross classing). Though if you're looking for a "DPS Monster" for heroic leveling, an Inquisitive with a Ratcatcher would likely beat that soundly, though a Monk would be the worst possible class to use for that.

As for actual builds, with Arcane Archer being available by race you can pretty much do whatever and be fine in Heroics. Unfortunately I don't have one off hand, and would end up doing the same thing you could do -- just check the forums. The Ranger section would be a good place to look as well as the AA spend and needed feats would be pretty similar (though you'll have to purchase the feats unless you're x-classing with ranger).
    Pinc Punch - Unarmed Monk (Uber Completionist) // Porc the Orc - Paladin // Thunderborn - Warlock // Imustbe Emo - PewPew Rogue // Aquamine Artifact - Crafting Artificer (shelved)

Community Member

Here is an updated bow build, but handwraps are more powerful in heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    Here is an updated bow build, but handwraps are more powerful in heroics.
    Not sure about that one considering the powerful bow options throughout heroics (Sapphire Sting, Silver Longbow, Bow of Sinew, Unwavering Ardency), all of which give you higher base damage and better crit profiles, on top of the amazing AA procs that can CC or instakill everything along with additional DPS. Once you properly build various classes, handwraps are pretty far down the list for DPS. It is the tankiness and utility of the Monk that is the only thing keeping them from being garbage in Heroics. Monk handwraps do get a major boost 20+ (from cores, feats, and Destinies), which swings them back into competition, but the deletion of the Monk core class feature truly hurt the heroic leveling process. I just took a Monk 1-30, and the Heroic grind was the slowest by a large margin out of the two dozen or so lives I've done since the nerf. And I do indeed know how to properly build and play a Monk.

In any case, you'll be fine no matter what you pick. The front loaded defenses of a Monk can carry you through sub-par DPS, so if whatever you build doesn't shine, you'll still make it through. Though if your goal is just "fast leveling" rather than leveling a Monk fast, Monk is not the direction to go. A sorc can blast through R1-3s 1-2 shotting everything and killing bosses in seconds, and you don't need good defenses when nothing can even reach you.
    Pinc Punch - Unarmed Monk (Uber Completionist) // Porc the Orc - Paladin // Thunderborn - Warlock // Imustbe Emo - PewPew Rogue // Aquamine Artifact - Crafting Artificer (shelved)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrawingGuy View Post
    Not sure about that one considering the powerful bow options throughout heroics (Sapphire Sting, Silver Longbow, Bow of Sinew, Unwavering Ardency), all of which give you higher base damage and better crit profiles, on top of the amazing AA procs that can CC or instakill everything along with additional DPS.
    You still use AA imbues and any bow you want. It's just that they are cleanup to your AoE instant kill FoK combo for the mobs you miss with FoK, rather than a primary damage source. For example, lvl 15 ebb zerg to red alert then FoK combo instant kills most of a pile of mobs and misses only a few to cleanup:

The bows you listed only deal 1.5(1d8+5) = 15 damage and have a terrible rate of fire, so I don't think any of them are powerful. A scroll has higher dps on a monk than a bow due to attack rate.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 05-29-2019 at 11:05 AM.