Thread: One Good Thing!

Default One Good Thing!

I've had a strange spring so far while excitedly awaiting the Sharn release. DDO is far and away my favorite game - in both money spent and time spent. I love all of the variability and have 29 different toons. This year I decided to "prepay" for my VIP sub and bought into the Season Pass (which has been fun although I haven't rolled really well yet).

In early April I was diagnosed with cancer. I quickly started learning what this meant. Now, as a note, I've rarely been sick and to this point, I didn't even take any meds. My how quickly things change! Within 3 weeks of that diagnosis, I had surgery to remove part of my colon and started a surgical recovery. What was in my top three list of things that bum me out? Possibly missing the Sharn release! I was REALLY bummed as sitting in one place early on was tough. I wasn't real sad with the postponing of the expansion until today as just Sunday I started feeling much better.

My one good thing then? I am on Short Term Disability until next Wednesday. Ergo, I hope there is plenty of DDO in my near future!!!!!!!!

Sadly, last Wednesday, the doctors determined that the cancer is still enjoying mucking around in my body and I start chemo in early June. As this is completely foreign to me, I don't know what to expect (I've been told being tired is common?). I'm guessing this will continue to affect how often I can play DDO, but I WILL play as often as I can! I love this game and I am greatly looking forward to putting this season of life behind me (and MOAR Sharn!!!!).

tl;dr I've been sick, but I can play a lot of DDO over the next week and I love playing DDO!

Happy gaming,
    Taleisin
    Thelanis

hey there, even though we don't know each other I feel there is something I have to tell you.

You have the most important thing it takes to beat what you are facing: Fighting spirit and a positive attitude. and if anyone tells you to take it slow and take a step back, tell them to go to hell, because you decide how much you can take!

And in the meantime: Good Loot and Happy Hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyata View Post
    hey there, even though we don't know each other I feel there is something I have to tell you.

You have the most important thing it takes to beat what you are facing: Fighting spirit and a positive attitude. and if anyone tells you to take it slow and take a step back, tell them to go to hell, because you decide how much you can take!

just want to echo this,and to say FWIW I am right behind you , and my prayers will be with you until you are given the all clear.
    TYRS PALADIUM.....Officer. If you think there must be more to the game than pugging, come on and joinTYRS! Willibold Fighter/Wilibold monk /Tooflower monkftr/rogue /Hesteban fvs /Machiavehli druid/ Commabayou bard /Greenbolts ranger/Dramoh arti /Dragbat bard /Covemonster Paladin/A Pherzackerly wizard/Asimovsbayne barb/Pardoner/Cottelettedporc cleric/ftr /

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Agreed. Not letting oneself to be knocked down is very important.
    Life is too important to be neglected, so to say.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Best wishes for fast and full recovery!
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Very sorry to hear about the diagnosis, and I hope treatment goes well.

FWIW, I've been through surgery & chemo (different cancer though), so if you have any questions just send a PM.

I wish you get rid of illness soon... and you will become healthy!

DDO is also my favorite game, it's the only game I play!

Uber Completionist

Sorry to hear you have this illness and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Did you say you have only been given a week off?

That's an outrageously short period of time.

Last February I suffered from Hypertensive Encephalophy and was signed off for four months. When I returned to work my employer insisted I only work half hours for four months (on full pay) and then increase my hours by one hour per week until I was back up to my full 37 hours to ensure a good recovery.

You might want to re-educate your doctor on the seriousness of your condition
    Corazonroto

The Spellswords - Ghallanda

2015 DDO Players Council

I think you're overlooking a great opportunity to spam "Can I get a heal?!"

Seriously, though, good luck with everything. I've been told that chemo can have some very strange effects on the body. Being tired or getting tired easily for a long while is one I've heard. Another is your sense of taste changing. For example, after going through chemo, my aunt couldn't tolerate the taste of red meat for a long time, and I've heard similar stories (though with different foods) from other people. But everyone reacts differently, and some people have very few side effects. So hopefully you'll be in that crowd.

Also, things like this can be very taxing mentally and emotionally. You probably have a number of people around you that you can talk to, so don't be afraid to talk with them about it. You've even had an offer right in this thread, so you'll probably find people coming out of the woodwork to offer you a hand. Sometimes when someone in our lives is going through something that we aren't, we want to help but don't know how.

Hopefully Sharn will give you plenty of enjoyment during your time off.

Wishing you well and the best my fellow DDO'er!
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

Community Member

Thumbs up

Prayers for you and your family.
    Cancer is a tough bugger, but if you can keep a positive attitude through the coming tribulations
    (they can be very rough) your chances improve dramaticly.

You will probably want to look into a low sugar and low carb diet. Cancer seems to thrive on both.
    no matter how your taste changes, you will need to eat to keep your strength up.

My friend is going through something similar and is looking into CBD oil to help. research in this looks promising,
    but I'm not willing to bet the farm on it yet.

I have another friend who has had 6 feet of his colon removed, and after chemo, he has been cancer free
    for about 10 years.
    (one complication he has is that he now has zero resistance to the cold. Bummeer because he lives in Canada)

Best of luck to you friend. You are in my prayers,
    Stay Free,
    Sean
    I am thirsty in the desert with an empty cup.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyata View Post

This!

Never give up.

I know a guy (he can be my grandfather) who got diagnosed with tumor on his intestines and had 20cm of large intestine removed and of all of us he was most positive and he had great recovery.

Listen to doctors and be positive.

I hope in near future you'll tell us we'll all enjoy future updates together.