Community Member

Default Inferno of the damned - which spells actually work?

I haven’t got Inferno run on this life yet, now a bit overlevel, but popped in their this morning before work to see if I could solo. Mobs are fine. However, got to first torch room, and the scrolls of burning hands that I had picked up absolutely will not light the torches. This is despite wiki listing that as OK. (I updated the wiki).

I am a FVS / monk / rogue wis based build, so limited access to useful spells, and not particularly high UMD. From memory, I am pretty certain that ice storm does work reliably, and I can manage to scroll that. Can someone advise on what the best low level fire option is?

I do know that mephits are an alternative, and will fall back on that if no other option.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofAlba View Post
    I haven’t got Inferno run on this life yet, now a bit overlevel, but popped in their this morning before work to see if I could solo. Mobs are fine. However, got to first torch room, and the scrolls of burning hands that I had picked up absolutely will not light the torches. This is despite wiki listing that as OK. (I updated the wiki).

I am a FVS / monk / rogue wis based build, so limited access to useful spells, and not particularly high UMD. From memory, I am pretty certain that ice storm does work reliably, and I can manage to scroll that. Can someone advise on what the best low level fire option is?

I do know that mephits are an alternative, and will fall back on that if no other option.
    Fireball wands.

If you can use Ice Storm scrolls you'll be fine with them.
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

flaming sphere scrolls but it is a little slow getting the ball to them at times. See link under my avatar for why they are good to have anyway
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.

They have changed what works in the quest a number of times over the years, but last I did it the most efficient spells(scrolls work fine) were Flame Strike (Cieric 5) and Ice Storm (Wiz 4). You want to point your reticule at the center-point of the 4 torches. Ice Storm is a little more forgiving in terms of spell placement, while Flame Strike might not get all torches at once if you're a little off.

There are a lot of spells that you might think would work that do absolutely nothing; ray spells for example.

The available mobs(mephits in heroic;elementals in epic) can be used in both the heroic and epic versions of the quest, but the air eles in the epic version are frustrating and take forever to do the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Don't forget that you can get the mephits to take care of the torches for you. It's annoying, but it's definitely possible if you forgot scrolls / wands or if you aren't able to UMD them.
    Last edited by HungarianRhapsody; 05-08-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

The lowest level, I believe level 7, Fireball and Ice Storm wands. I carry both on all my toons.

I use fireball and icestorm. Aim them at the emblem on the floor in the center of the torches, and it will usually light/blow out all of the torches with one shot.

Community Member

Default Thanks

Belated thanks for the tips. I got round.

2015 DDO Players Council

If you have enough rogue levels to do the trap crafting, you can make fire and ice grenades. Those will work for the torches. At least, they did last time I ran that quest, which was quite some time ago.

Fire spells that work IIRC:

Fireball, flame strike, tactical detonation, delayed blast fireball, fire seeds (maybe, it's extremely hard to aim), meteor swarm, possibly scorch.

Cold spells:

Snowball Swarm might work, I haven't tested it. I believe Gust of Wind may also work. Cone of Cold works. Burst of Glacial Wrath works (epic only). Cyclonic blast may work. Ice flowers (druid) may work. Ice storm works. Druid wolf cold breath works.

Quote Originally Posted by Maquist View Post
    If you have enough rogue levels to do the trap crafting, you can make fire and ice grenades. Those will work for the torches. At least, they did last time I ran that quest, which was quite some time ago.
    Hah, I hadn't thought of that.